[HOW TO] ADB Sideload/Push if you Wipe Internal Storage & No ROM to Flash [19 May 15]

Search This thread

lifewithsuzy

Jan 31, 2009
Bellingham
I have an Sprint HTC One that has been unlocked and rooted since last spring and worked flawlessly. Two days ago I flashed what I read was a stable 4.3 ROM and suddenly it would only open in bootloader. In the process of trying to fix that everything was wiped, OS, etc. If I tried to go into recovery, TWRP was previously installed, it would kick me back to the bootloader. So through fastboot I was able to reload TWRP, the latest version, and then get back into recovery with the intention of sideloading a ROM. I have the most current drivers and SDK packages installed and device manager shows Android Composite ADB Interface. When I attempt cmd adb devices it responds with "list of devices" and nothing else. When I go into recovery and execute cmd adb devices it responds with "FAxxxxxxxxx recovery". When I attempt to sideload it reads quickly "failed" and shows me that it can't mount data/internal storage/system. I then go to mount and it only gives me the option of cache. After reading that somebody had luck with adb push /data/ in recovery I tried it and was able to get a ROM into data. Through advanced/file manager I moved the zip to cache and then did the install. I've tried three different ROMS - CM 10, MOKEE, and a stock. The stock fails to install and both the CM and MOKEE ROMS are in boot loops. I have re-downloaded, re-installed, re-flashed all associated software :eek:

I have read more threads in the last few days looking for an answer than I have since my first root pre android with windows 5

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
I have an Sprint HTC One that has been unlocked and rooted since last spring and worked flawlessly. Two days ago I flashed what I read was a stable 4.3 ROM and suddenly it would only open in bootloader. In the process of trying to fix that everything was wiped, OS, etc. If I tried to go into recovery, TWRP was previously installed, it would kick me back to the bootloader. So through fastboot I was able to reload TWRP, the latest version, and then get back into recovery with the intention of sideloading a ROM. I have the most current drivers and SDK packages installed and device manager shows Android Composite ADB Interface. When I attempt cmd adb devices it responds with "list of devices" and nothing else. When I go into recovery and execute cmd adb devices it responds with "FAxxxxxxxxx recovery". When I attempt to sideload it reads quickly "failed" and shows me that it can't mount data/internal storage/system. I then go to mount and it only gives me the option of cache. After reading that somebody had luck with adb push /data/ in recovery I tried it and was able to get a ROM into data. Through advanced/file manager I moved the zip to cache and then did the install. I've tried three different ROMS - CM 10, MOKEE, and a stock. The stock fails to install and both the CM and MOKEE ROMS are in boot loops. I have re-downloaded, re-installed, re-flashed all associated software :eek:

I have read more threads in the last few days looking for an answer than I have since my first root pre android with windows 5

You have to upgrade the bootloader to 4.3 and the 4.3 ROM would have booted without flashing anything. I assume you were a 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 ROM before you flashed. I am not sure why recovery can't mount that's kind of weird. I know there is a toolkit that you can use to relock your bootloader and install the stock RUU. Have you tried that yet? You can always get root again and start from square one but your bootloader needs to match the version ROM you are flashing. So if you were coming from a non 4.3 ROM than thats what I would suggest. CM10 will probably boot after you do this. Post the links to those ROMs so I can see the flash instructions

Reactions: lifewithsuzy

lifewithsuzy

Jan 31, 2009
Bellingham
You have to upgrade the bootloader to 4.3 and the 4.3 ROM would have booted without flashing anything. I assume you were a 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 ROM before you flashed. I am not sure why recovery can't mount that's kind of weird. I know there is a toolkit that you can use to relock your bootloader and install the stock RUU. Have you tried that yet? You can always get root again and start from square one but your bootloader needs to match the version ROM you are flashing. So if you were coming from a non 4.3 ROM than thats what I would suggest. CM10 will probably boot after you do this. Post the links to those ROMs so I can see the flash instructions

I got it working!!! After reading your post I started looking for ROMS that were 4.1.2, which is what I was prior to this. As I said before I was able to push files over ADB but I found out that there was a size limit. I could push a file that was @200mb without a problem but anything bigger would not show up. The CMD prompt would state the the transfer was a success but the file would not be there. So this became my next problem given that most of the ROMS I was finding were 700mb+. After more searching I came across a thread were someone had an issue because their phone was updated to 1.31 and they had to revert back to 1.29. I was at 1.31 also. This person listed the directions they found to revert back and so I tried it and whalla! The RUU's that I had been trying wouldn't work because they wanted me to be 1.29 and I wasn't figuring that out. The all-in-one program didn't help much because it requires debugging ON and I had no OS to even access that option so it just wasn't finding my device. It is working wonderfully again and I quickly did a nandroid backup and saved it to the cloud as well as my laptop to avoid this nightmare in the future. All I did to get into this mess was flash Maximus 4.3. It walked me through a setup and then rebooted and went to bootloader were it lived until I fixed it.

Thanks for your help you got me moving in the direction to salvation

Reactions: bdorr1105

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
I got it working!!! After reading your post I started looking for ROMS that were 4.1.2, which is what I was prior to this. As I said before I was able to push files over ADB but I found out that there was a size limit. I could push a file that was @200mb without a problem but anything bigger would not show up. The CMD prompt would state the the transfer was a success but the file would not be there. So this became my next problem given that most of the ROMS I was finding were 700mb+. After more searching I came across a thread were someone had an issue because their phone was updated to 1.31 and they had to revert back to 1.29. I was at 1.31 also. This person listed the directions they found to revert back and so I tried it and whalla! The RUU's that I had been trying wouldn't work because they wanted me to be 1.29 and I wasn't figuring that out. The all-in-one program didn't help much because it requires debugging ON and I had no OS to even access that option so it just wasn't finding my device. It is working wonderfully again and I quickly did a nandroid backup and saved it to the cloud as well as my laptop to avoid this nightmare in the future. All I did to get into this mess was flash Maximus 4.3. It walked me through a setup and then rebooted and went to bootloader were it lived until I fixed it.

Thanks for your help you got me moving in the direction to salvation

Thanks for the really detailed feedback and I am glad that I was able to help.... Happy flashing again

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
So I'm already in C:\sdkandroid\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130917\sdk\platform-tools in cmd I type adb sideload nameofzip.zip and it tells me cannot read zip.

Don't type nameofzip lol, you have to type the exact name on your actual zip file and it's case sensitive... I found you want rename your zip files to rom.zip and then type adb sideload rom.zip and you will be fine

Nickkrommenie

Jun 4, 2012
Dude, i got a question.
I accidently wiped everything on my HTC One. (OS included) ( I was running Android revolution)
However, i managed to push a ROM to my HTC
However, now i'm stuck at the boot logo

I have tried different ROM's
Can you help me out?

bdorr1105

Sep 6, 2008
Dude, i got a question.
I accidently wiped everything on my HTC One. (OS included) ( I was running Android revolution)
However, i managed to push a ROM to my HTC
However, now i'm stuck at the boot logo

I have tried different ROM's
Can you help me out?

Sorry I have been banned from XDA from a couple days... It you pushed your original ROM it should boot again.... What base are you switching to, what I mean are you going from 4.1.2 to 4.2.2 or 4.3 or even anything 4.4 out there. Male sure you see if there any instructions for upgrading your bootloader because that will cause the phone to get stuck. Let me know if you are still needing help. Today is the first time in 5 days I could get on since being banned

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
what if you dont have twrp on your phone? as in, i have absolutely nothing on my phone...

that's why you have a bootloader
if you lost your recovery and everything, just start over like it's a new phone
The steps are unlock bootloader @HTCDev
- fastboot flash recovery (fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img)
- recovery flash root
- recovery flash Rom
from TWRP you can also use ADB Push to get your rom and SuperSU to you phone storage.
the command is-> adb push Rom.zip /data/media/0/
and adb push SuperSU.zip /data/media/0/

irish.iolar

Oct 26, 2011
What if you can't authorize adb and u just get no devices in sideload and it shows up when in the bootloop but it says "unauthorized" ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

boost91

Jun 9, 2009
Ballwin, Mo
Maybe this will help somebody:
I could never find the file after I had completed the ADB Sideload. At the end of the process the power button would not turn the screen on so I would have to use ADB reboot command but I could never locate my zip, so I tried again and made sure to have the screen on during the end of the sideload process and once completed it kicks it straight to Aroma. Hope this helps someone out. Also thanks to the OP.

vectorer

Jun 15, 2012
Aurora
no joy!!

after going through and trying everything the sideload starts then at 22%.....

* failed to write data 'protocol fault <no status>' *

what the hell is that ??

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [HOW TO] ADB Sideload/Push if you Wipe Internal Storage & No ROM to Flash [19 May 15]

How to Sideload in TWRP if you erase your Internal Memory and don't have a ROM to Flash or Restore

Warning!

Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

Requirements

Code:
    #include 
    /*
    * Unlocked Phone @ HTCDEV
    * Custom Recovery
    */

Before You Start - Update Android SDK - How to set up Android SDK (ADB)

Instructions

• MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR SD CARD FIRST!!!!!!!!

Make Sure HTC Drivers are installed and ADB is already working

1. Reboot into TWRP

2. in TWRP, Hit andvanced and find Sideload

3. Swipe to start Sideload

4. Open a CMD Prompt window and Change Directories to where your adb.exe is

5. type adb devices and it should show your device conntected and say sideload

6. Your ZIP file should already be in your adb folder - See Example Below

sdkfolder_zps162fbf20.png

7. You are now ready to push the zip.....

8. type adb sideload nameofzip.zip <------------See Example Below

Capture_zps940c92dd.png

9. Wait until it says 100% and reboot back into recovery to flash the ROM

10. If hitting power does not make the screen come one, type adb reboot recovery

11. if adb reboot recovery does not work, hold power and volume down until it reboots to fastboot then go to recovery

ADB Push from Recovery - If Sideload Fails For You

adb push rom.zip /data/media/0/

If You have any Troubles with ADB

Koush Universal ADB Driver - Works on Windows 8 - Thanks xeroxide

YouTube Video for ADB Help

How to install ADB Drivers for any Device

FAQ

If your Output looks similiar to this below, then you are not in sideload mode or you typed the command incorrectly

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\William>cd Downloads\ADB

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>adb sideload Slim-nozomi-4.2.2.build.6-OFFICIAL
    Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26

-d - directs command to the only connected USB devic
    e
    returns an error if more than one USB device is
    present.
    -e - directs command to the only running emulator.
    returns an error if more than one emulator is r
    unning.
    -s <serial number> - directs command to the USB device or emulator w
    ith
    the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERI
    AL
    environment variable.
    -p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
    a relative/absolute path to a product
    out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
    be an absolute path.
    devices - list all connected devices
    connect <host>:<port> - connect to a device via TCP/IP
    disconnect <host>:<port> - disconnect from a TCP/IP device

device commands:
    adb push <local> <remote> - copy file/dir to device
    adb pull <remote> [<local>] - copy file/dir from device
    adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
    (see 'adb help all')
    adb shell - run remote shell interactively
    adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
    adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
    adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
    adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
    forward specs are one of:
    tcp:<port>
    localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
    localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
    localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
    dev:<character device name>
    jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
    adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and i
    nstall it
    ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
    ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data
    )
    ('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
    nal storage)
    adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
    ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories
    )
    adb bugreport - return all information from the device
    that should be included in a bug report.

adb help - show this help message
    adb version - show version num

DATAOPTS:
    (no option) - don't touch the data partition
    -w - wipe the data partition
    -d - flash the data partition

scripting:
    adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
    adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
    adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
    adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
    adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
    adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
    d device
    adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
    ad-write
    adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
    tloader or recovery program
    adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
    adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
    adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
    adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on th
    e specified port
    networking:
    adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
    Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
    <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
    [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
    <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be u
    pdated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    is updated.

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>-d
    '-d' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>-d\
    '-d\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>-d: \
    '-d:' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>:-d
    C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>-d\
    '-d\' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB>-d
    '-d' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\Users\William\Downloads\ADB

DO THE FOLLOWING - (Refer to Post 1 Before you start for Picture Example)

1. Run sdk manager and update all the 4.1.2 - 4.4.2 binaries, you will see installed if you have done so

2. Reboot into TWRP

3. Go to advanced

4. Touch ADB Sideload

5. Swipe To start sideload

6. in command promt example: cd c:\android\sdk\platform-tools (that is where my adb files are at)

7. Once you have navigated to where your adb is at in command promt type adb devices

8. When you type adb devices, it should show your HTCxxjxihdjiw (whatever yours is) and Sideload which indicates you are set up properly

9. Once you see the above type adb sideload nameofzip.zip

If ADB does not See your device

1. After Download, go to My Computer, your C Drive

2. Create a folder named Android

3. Extract the Android SDK folder inside the Android Folder you just made
    You should have the following in the folder only
    - eclipse
    - sdk
    - SDK Manager.exe

4. Double click and open SDK Manager.exe

5. under the 4.1.2, 4.2.2, 4.3, and 4.4.2 section, install all the updates possible and it will show installed next to everything under 4.1.2 and 4.2.2

6. Restart Windows after all the updates
    7. Open Command Prompt

8. cd c:\android\sdk\platform-tools

9. type adb devices, if you see your phone then reboot to recovery

10. In recovery, type adb devices, it should show your device in recovery, as a last resort you can use the adb push command

11. However, if you want to tstill try sideload, click advanced

12. Swipe to start Sideload

13. type adb devices and if it shows your device and says Sideload, follow the rest of the instructions

If ADB does not See your device in Recovery or Sideload - Thanks slayaman22232

1. After doing the above and getting ADB to work, but you are still having issues with your device not being seen in Recovery or Sideload even after installing latest HTC Drivers. Do the following, go to Universal ADB Driver link and install.
    I don't see this in the OP, but after the zip file is sent to the phone, the zip file is called "sideload.zip" - I'm on TWRP 2.6.1 ? I believe and this is what the zip was called
    Sideload is how I got my phone setup for 4.2.2

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

That is the method I also used. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium
    That's not true. Sideload works just fine, in fact it is still on my phone.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for clearing that up brother appreciate it