[INFO] Rootable Serial Numbers

Search This thread

shelby04861

Aug 28, 2011
So. For those of us who. Didn't realize that the CC auto updates by itself, will there be any chance in the future once the SDK is out? Mine had the old firmware but I didn't realize that as soon as you connect it to the wifi network, it updates on its own. I thought there would be an option to say yes like everything else in the free world...lol. The reason I ask if there is still a chance, is because I want to know if I should still buy a USB powered otg cable, or just hold off until later.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I've read a few "winks" at a possible alternative root after the SDK is released, but nothing in life is guaranteed, so unless you have another potential use for the powered USB OTG cable or find one on super sale, I'd hold off.

Reactions: shelby04861

jds580s

Dec 15, 2006
I picked up a 3910 today from Best Buy and successfully rooted it.
I also have a 3930 still in the box which is going back thanks to this thread.

Reactions: bhiga

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Glad it was useful for you!
Filling some gaps while I still can...
Rooted 3912 and 3917

Dekan54

Sep 6, 2010
The Villages, Florida
Just an FYI.... I did some searching on eBay and asked the sellers to tell me the first 4 digits of the serial number. I have a 3828 on it's way to me right now.

Just another way to locate a rootable CC

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Good idea. Just be very careful to check pictures - any peeling, wrinkles, or unevenness at the edges of the "Peel Here" label is a sign the unit was opened. The "Peel Here" label and leaves a faint "VOID" when removed, but that will be almost impossible to see without having the item in-hand.

Unfortunately some sellers like to list things as New when they are really Used but in very-much-like-new condition. When I sell stuff, if it's anything other than factory-sealed, it lists New (other) or Used. Also FWIW, eBay favors the buyer very much, "Not as described" still applies for the eBay Money Back Guarantee and is easily abused. I've already had it happen to me...

As someone else mentioned, Craigslist may be a better option if it's available in your area, as you can arrange to see the item before paying/buying.

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
found a 3805 for sale at a undisclosed location ;) im assuming since 3804 and 3807 are "good to go" 3805 is as well :good:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
found a 3805 for sale at a undisclosed location ;) im assuming since 3804 and 3807 are "good to go" 3805 is as well :good:
Yes, as long as it's fresh out of the box and hasn't been previously connected to the Internet, you should be good to go. Let us know either way.

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
Yes, as long as it's fresh out of the box and hasn't been previously connected to the Internet, you should be good to go. Let us know either way.

will do, gonna make one last effort of a local purchase from best buy, before i buy that one online. feel better knowing, than relying on someone i dont know trying to sell me something.

EDIT

found a 3910 at best buy, in fact they had about 10 of the "rootable' ones. Atascocita TX location.

EDIT 2

so got it rooted/flashed with KyoCast, now this is how Chromecast should work from the factory!

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
[snip]

All serial numbers I have seen so far appear in the form of 3xxx101xxxxx. I am curious if serial numbers for releases in other regions (ex Canada) follow this convention.
I just bought one here in Canada, and yes, the serial number is the same format. Mine is 3916101xxxxx.

As soon as I can I will try to get root.

punkcell

Jan 8, 2007
NYC
i just bought 1 from staples at first it looks like it said 3804 but now that i'm home its actually 3B04 does as anyone tired to root that kind before. if not i will simple bring it back and exchange.

Reactions: bhiga

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
i just bought 1 from staples at first it looks like it said 3804 but now that i'm home its actually 3B04 does as anyone tired to root that kind before. if not i will simple bring it back and exchange.
Since 3A's won't and numerically 3B is higher, I'd guess that it wouldn't be rootable. You are the first that even mentioned a 3B.

dmc2359

Aug 8, 2013
Just got a 3910 from best buy at Cobb Place in Kennesaw GA. They had 2 rootables left, a 3912 and 3915 that I stuck in the back of the stack if anyone wants to grab them. ;)

punkcell

Jan 8, 2007
NYC
Since 3A's won't and numerically 3B is higher, I'd guess that it wouldn't be rootable. You are the first that even mentioned a 3B.

I bought it back to staples, they checked and didn't have any rootable 1's, so the guy said i can return now or after i try and root it :D
so i wil try tonight and let you all know, but not before going to bestbuy and trying my luck there.

Also, i see alot of 3824 on ebay.
but the person selling them is charging $35 + $15 shipping = $50

Last edited:

wptski

Dec 8, 2011
Warren, MI
I bought it back to staples, they checked and didn't have any rootable 1's, so the guy said i can return now or after i try and root it :D
so i wil try tonight and let you all know, but not before going to bestbuy and trying my luck there.

Also, i see alot of 3824 on ebay.
but the person selling them is charging $35 + $15 shipping = $50
Lucky they still let you return it after trying to root.

After reading your post about the misread, I went back to Walmart which I had seen 3801 and 3804 or 3807. Guess what, they were all 3A or 3B! On some the "B" is a bit more defined.

I have two that are rooted but was looking for another for my nephew for Xmas.

If the 3B does root, please let us know.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First ask yourself, do I need to root? Then come back to see if you have possibility to root.
    See: Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? and Why should I root?
    For help with FlashCast, see the FlashCast: Quickly and easily mod your Chromecast thread and Rooting with FlashCast Mini-FAQ
    For help with HubCap, see the HubCap Chromecast Root Release! thread.
    For help with Flashcast-AutoRoot, see the Flashcast-AutoRoot thread.

Note: THANK YOU to all the folks who contributed reports to the first incarnation of this list. Your help made it possible for many other users to pick winners from their local stores. Now that we're in the second generation of root (and unrootability), it was time for a revamp.

At the core, it's not the serial number that determines whether a Chromecast is rootable, but rather the firmware build on it. However, because Chromecasts ship from the factory with a specific firmware build, we can use the serial number to predict whether a particular unit is rootable out of the box, or is unrootable because it has a firmware that is not vulnerable to known exploits.
    Firmware builds >= 19084 are not rootable by current means.

Also, for Chromecast, "root" means to flash a rooted ROM that disables Google OTA updates. Any Google OTA update at this point will render a Chromecast unrootable, regardless of its serial number. If that didn't make sense, please reread the previous paragraph above.

Want root? Find your scenario below:
    I KNOW MY FIRMWARE BUILD AND IT IS...
      -> Root with FlashCast or HubCap 12940 version
    • Greater than 12072, but less than 19084
      -> Try root with HubCap 12940 version, if that doesn't work, try root with HubCap 16664 version
    • 19084 or higher
      -> Sorry, you're not rootable

I DON'T KNOW MY FIRMWARE BUILD BUT MY CHROMECAST IS...
    1. NEW, UNOPENED, NOT USED, NOT REFURBISHED, NOT RECERTIFIED, NOT REPLACEMENT AND
      NEVER CONNECTED TO INTERNET

AND ITS SERIAL NUMBER STARTS WITH...
      • 3922 or lower (ie, 38AD, 371C, 3612, etc)
      • 3923 or 3924
        -> Please determine your firmware build version without setting up and report it to me with your serial number before attempting root.
        -> Build 12072 - Try root with FlashCast
        -> Build less than 16664 - Try root with HubCap 12940 version
        -> Build greater than 16664 but less than 19084 - Try root with HubCap 16664 version
        -> Build 19084 or greater - you're not rootable. Are you sure you didn't get a used/refurbished/recertified/replacement unit??
      • 3925-4A1F (MFG 10/2014 and earlier, or no MFG date on label)
        -> Try root with HubCap 12940 version, if that doesn't work, try root with HubCap 16664 version
      • 4A20-4B20 (MFG 9/2014 to MFG 11/2014)
        Note: This range is in flux - I have a 4A27 that had 15098 and another user had a 4A29 with 15098, but one user had an unrootable 4A20 with 20472
        -> Please determine your firmware build version without setting up and report it to me with your serial number before attempting root.
      • 4B21 and higher (MFG 11/2014 and newer)
        -> Your Chromecast has firmware 20472 or newer and is not rootable.
        -> If you determine your firmware build version without setting up is less than 20472, please report it to me with your serial.
    2. SET UP BUT (CONTINUOUSLY) DISCONNECTED FROM INTERNET PRIOR TO AUGUST 1, 2013
    3. SET UP BUT (CONTINUOUSLY) DISCONNECTED FROM INTERNET PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 4, 2014
    4. SET UP AND CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET SEPTEMBER 4, 2014 OR LATER
      -> Your Chromecast auto-updated to firmware 19084 or newer and is not rootable.
    5. REFURBISHED/RECERTIFIED/REPLACEMENT
      -> Impossible to determine what build will be on the device.
      -> Determine your firmware build version without setting up then proceed based on build number.
      -> Build 12072 - Try root with FlashCast
      -> Build less than 16664 - Try root with HubCap 12940 version
      -> Build greater than 16664 but less than 19084 - Try root with HubCap 16664 version
      -> Build 19084 or greater - you're not rootable.

Root method requirements:
    1. FlashCast method
      • Firmware build 12072 (this exact build, no others) on Chromecast
      • Powered MicroUSB OTG cable
      • Compatible USB flash drive 256 MB or larger (most drives are compatible, a few are not, check the thread)
    2. HubCap method
      • Firmware build 19084 or lower/older on Chromecast
      • Powered MicroUSB OTG cable
      • Teensy 2, Teensy 2++, compatible or similar device that has ported build (see the thread)
      • Compatible USB flash drive 256 MB or larger (most drives should be compatible, check the thread)
    After you already have root via one of the above methods, you can install Flashcast-AutoRoot to stay current with updates while still preserving root.
    For those of you who are stuck with unrootable serial devices, do not fret. Even if it's not rootable today, it may be tomorrow. No device is "Hack/Exploit Proof" ;)
    Just got mine from Amazon with a 3922 serial. It's rootable!
    If I'm able to get a few rootable ones, would any of you be interested in obtaining them? I'd only charge maybe $3 over normal price because the drive is an hour there and an hour back (to help with the gas cost). I know there was at least 1 rootable one left the last time I went, and I didn't grab it because I figured they were still plentiful and didn't wanna screw anyone else that was trying to find one there, but this thread is starting to worry me. So, if I'm able to help out even one of you with getting a rootable one, I'd try my best. Just need to know if anyone's interested before dropping that much of my cash on something. I'd probably be buying at minimum 3 of them.
    Not to derail this topic and go completely off-topic but... you're saying there are rooted stock images floating around? So in the event that Eureka bottoms out or something happens, there is a stock alternative? or reverting to stock?
    Yes. See threads by Team-Eureka
    But to be 100% clear... Chromecast root is not in the code itself, it's in the bootloader (see Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root?) - you need root to keep root. If you don't have root, you can't magically get root, at least not with the current exploit.

• (True) Stock
      Automatically receives Google OTA updates Only root-capable if on original 12072 build. With current root exploit (FlashCast), any Google OTA update to will patch the root exploit, resulting in no more root.
    • Eureka-ROM
      Requires root to apply (write with FlashCast).
      Preserves root. Everything stock does (except for Google OTA updates), plus... Optional Team-Eureka OTA updates. Other fun features (web panel, Team-Eureka whitelist, etc)
    • Stock - No Updates
      Requires root to apply (write with FlashCast).
      Preserves root. No OTA updates. No extra features. It's Stock minus the OTA updates that would kill root.

You never want to write a true Stock update to a rooted Chromecast, as that will irreversibly kill root.

So why is there a Stock - No Updates version if Eureka-ROM does everything stock does and more?
    Because Google release OTA updates when they're done, but Team Eureka needs some time to analyze the source, add the Eureka-ROM goodness, and check for introduced bugs. This isn't Team Eureka's full-time job (nor do they get compensated save for donations from appreciative folks like me), so it takes time.

The Stock - No Updates version is there for people who just can't wait for the corresponding Eureka-ROM build to release and must have the latest Google-released features immediately. This sometimes happens if a new app requires some firmware-level enhancement that's only in the newest build. For example, when the Cast SDK 2.0 apps released, they required the newest firmware at the time.