Slow wifi on N5

Search This thread

extorian

Aug 4, 2010
can you post the script somewhere?

It really is so short it would be less hassle to provide instructions on how to make it. So, in Tasker...

New Profile -> give it a name -> State -> Net -> Wifi Connected -> hit magnifying glass on SSID -> Select your home SSID -> Back -> New Task -> give it a name "Mobile Data off" -> Add -> Net -> Mobile Data -> Set Off -> Back -> Back (should be back on Profiles list now). Long press "Mobile Data off" -> Add Exit Task -> New Task -> give it a name "Mobile Data on" -> Add -> Net -> Mobile Data -> Set On -> Back several times to home screen.

Done.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
It really is so short it would be less hassle to provide instructions on how to make it. So, in Tasker...

New Profile -> give it a name -> State -> Net -> Wifi Connected -> hit magnifying glass on SSID -> Select your home SSID -> Back -> New Task -> give it a name "Mobile Data off" -> Add -> Net -> Mobile Data -> Set Off -> Back -> Back (should be back on Profiles list now). Long press "Mobile Data off" -> Add Exit Task -> New Task -> give it a name "Mobile Data on" -> Add -> Net -> Mobile Data -> Set On -> Back several times to home screen.

Done.

great script but you must be on verizon or another CDMA. The toggles apparently only work on CDMA unless you have a plug in. My plug in, secure settings, was apparently broken by the 4.2.2 OTA. I'm looking into a fix. Thanks again.

extorian

Aug 4, 2010
I'm on GSM in the UK (we don't have any CDMA networks). I saw the message in Tasker about it may not work, but it certainly does. If you tell it to turn Mobile Data on or off then go into the actual phone's settings you can see it has been toggled correctly. Furthermore you can see the H / 3G / G icon on the signal strength disappear/reappear. It is certainly working fine for me.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
I'm on GSM in the UK (we don't have any CDMA networks). I saw the message in Tasker about it may not work, but it certainly does. If you tell it to turn Mobile Data on or off then go into the actual phone's settings you can see it has been toggled correctly. Furthermore you can see the H / 3G / G icon on the signal strength disappear/reappear. It is certainly working fine for me.

Interesting. I'm on T-Mobile GSM in the US and it definitely wasn't toggling for me.

divinemyth99

Nov 16, 2010
Fargo
Interesting. I'm on T-Mobile GSM in the US and it definitely wasn't toggling for me.

T-Mobile in the US, Android 4.2.2... it works, but I can understand why you would think it doesn't. Because you're changing the setting it from under the Android settings widget, you might not see the setting toggle in system settings->More-> mobile networks.

Instead, test that it's working in tasker. Disconnect from Wi-Fi, then load the disable data task and click the play button. You should see the signal bar lose the connection (no E,3,H). Now load the enable task and click play; it should reconnect.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Llama allows you to easily automate Data on/off as well. However as I mentioned though this worked for me at first I believe it has more to do with the Location mode.

At the very least it's an issue with interference from different antennas.

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
Llama allows you to easily automate Data on/off as well. However as I mentioned though this worked for me at first I believe it has more to do with the Location mode.

At the very least it's an issue with interference from different antennas.

I got the same problem on my nexus 4 too. It was fine for a whole year, then when KitKat came out for it....... boom.......problem with slow WiFi when connecting alongside 2g.. so it has to be an error in the KitKat code.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
T-Mobile in the US, Android 4.2.2... it works, but I can understand why you would think it doesn't. Because you're changing the setting it from under the Android settings widget, you might not see the setting toggle in system settings->More-> mobile networks.

Instead, test that it's working in tasker. Disconnect from Wi-Fi, then load the disable data task and click the play button. You should see the signal bar lose the connection (no E,3,H). Now load the enable task and click play; it should reconnect.

I stand corrected. On closer inspection you are indeed right that it does work on US T-Mobile. I'm anxious now to engage it and see the wifi improve.

Many thanks!

divinemyth99

Nov 16, 2010
Fargo
... give it a name "Mobile Data off" -> Add -> Net -> Mobile Data -> Set Off

Right after this is a good time to do "Add->Alert->Flash" and enter "Disable Mobile Data". Then repeat (with different text, obviously) the same in the task that enables mobile data.

These will give you a nice Toast when your tasks run, which can be useful for troubleshooting if you suspect they aren't running for some reason.

Must say, seems to be working great so far. I've had 50Mbit all day. Normally it drops down to 5Mbps after 30 minutes or so.

extorian

Aug 4, 2010
Still working here too.

It may well affect Location too. Even with WiFi and GPS on, the phone will still access the Mobile network to get a low accuracy location because knowing your rough location vastly speeds up getting a GPS lock (that's part of Assisted-GPS).

Interestingly, this is what the "supl" part in the APN Type is meant to toggle, but I didn't have any luck changing that. Not all networks support APN Type strings.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Forgot to say setting 2.4Ghz on my frequency band is what fixed my home WiFi issues permanently. Auto would be ideal but my home network is 2.4 and it seems to cause the random issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

extorian

Aug 4, 2010
Forgot to say setting 2.4Ghz on my frequency band is what fixed my home WiFi issues permanently. Auto would be ideal but my home network is 2.4 and it seems to cause the random issues.

Definitely didn't fix it for me. Tried 2.4 only, 5 only, Auto. The problem here is that there are many things that can make your WiFi slow.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC

Done.

Extorian, just a note to tell you that this N5 runs like a different device after running this script for a few days. Seems you really nailed it. Thanks again.

t2002

Nov 6, 2013
Yes, I've been running this for a couple of days and all my problems have disappeared.

Good work!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

extorian

Aug 4, 2010
Yep - can report the same here. Working fine since using the Tasker workaround.

I wish I knew the root cause though.

norwoodesteel

Aug 13, 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-12-26-02-16-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-12-26-02-16-35.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 204

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
I think its bull shting your speeds lol

if those are Speedtest.net results that's testing more than wifi it's actually testing internet speed as well. I've never seen an internet connection that fast and I seriously doubt that there's a mobile phone capable of downloading at 300mbps. I've at least never seen anything near that speed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    can you post the script somewhere?

Done.
    It's almost definitely to do with individual routers. Mine was personally fixed by setting the phone to use 2.4ghz only on my network, but the fix will be different for different routers. Upgrading firmware has helped some people.
    I'll keep an eye on it but ever since i got it on the 12th its been 90% on WiFi for download of everything. Haven't noticed any problems so far.
    I think you've mistaken this for a ****-measuring thread. I don't see how that contributes anything to this discussion.
    Doesn't it have to keep mobile data open for texting?

No. SMS go through the SMSC (Short Message Service Centre). It's basically send to a special phone number on the network that then routes the data to the target phone. You can send and receive SMS message with data and WiFi off.

However, you do need mobile data for MMS messages, if anyone still actually uses them?