[CLOSED] XPrivacy - The ultimate, yet easy to use, privacy manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Droidphilev

There is no trace of the migration in the logcat, also not one single XPrivacy warning or error.

i went from the latest release version to .7 and then to .8 today. I rebooted about 15 times afterwards but everytime it was there. I wasn't following the thread the last 2 weeks so i have no idea what this migration does but the first reboot after the update it migrated something and succeeded.

Last edited:

ParkerParker

Aug 10, 2013
ThE EvErGrEeN StAtE
i went from the latest release version to .8 and then to .9 today. I rebooted about 15 times afterwards but everytime it was there. I wasn't following the thread the last 2 weeks so i have no idea what this migration does but the first reboot after the update it migrated something and succeeded.

I get randomizing and update each reboot

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
i went from the latest release version to .8 and then to .9 today. I rebooted about 15 times afterwards but everytime it was there. I wasn't following the thread the last 2 weeks so i have no idea what this migration does but the first reboot after the update it migrated something and succeeded.
The migration moves the settings/restrictions from the existing XML files to a sqlite database.
The way to determine if something should be restricted or not has completely been rewritten.
Please send me a zip file with the contents of the following folder after the migration:

/data/data/biz.bokhorst.xprivacy/shared_prefs

BTW, for stability it is better to use the latest 1.99.x, since this version solves some bootloop problems.

Reactions: banderos101

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010
Because I like nice numbers and letters and I hate bugs I have just made available test version 1.99.9

Download:
http://d-h.st/rma

Changelog:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

The rotation bug should be fixed now and I have added an internal check for all hooks, so you can be sure XPrivacy is working as expected.
If you get a message to send support info, possibly due to the new check, please do so.

Firetribe

Nov 9, 2011
Because I like nice numbers and letters and I hate bugs I have just made available test version 1.99.9

Download:

Changelog:

The rotation bug should be fixed now and I have added an internal check for all hooks, so you can be sure XPrivacy is working as expected.
If you get a message to send support info, possibly due to the new check, please do so.

You do that on purpose! I just updated... :D Thanks, gonna install right now ;)

wbedard

Jul 22, 2010
Why isn't this the new Stable build?!

I just updated my Nexus 5, which I was saving for a full migration from XP 1.11.x to the current 1.99.x, once it got stable (though I still made a backup). To keep it short and sweet, it was perfect.

I simply installed the update, rebooted and left it alone. I even started a logcat prior to boot, just so that I would have all the details, if needed, for any troubleshooting. With earlier versions on my other devices, which have less memory, I needed to bring XP to the foreground to prevent Android's lowmem service from killing the migration process. Not with this version on a Nexus 5. With earlier versions, there might have been various issues with the notification icon providing feedback on the migration. Not with this version. The entire migration took maybe 10 minutes and there was a nice, simple icon telling me that migration completed which I then simply swiped away. On earlier versions, there might have been issues with some settings getting carried over. Not with this version...everything is there, from GUI preferences to app restrictions.

With earlier versions, the scroll performance was pretty good but might have needed a brief moment to update all the icons and checkboxes. Not with this version (and how!). With this version, on a Nexus 5, all my icons and app checkboxes are fully populated even at maximum scroll speed (how do you do that?!).

Although I am pretty familiar and comfortable with the new pre-2.0 version of XP, I will still keep my eye out for any issues over the coming days. However, I hope I have accurately conveyed how pleasantly impressed I am at how well this app has matured, especially after recently such a major overhaul. Great job, Marcel! I'm looking forward to a new post on the XDA portal and the inevitable flood of new users to this forum thread (sigh).

Last edited:

tourbound129

Jun 15, 2010
Just updated from 1.11 stable to 1.99.9 test. Went perfectly. Migration took no more than 1 minute. I currently only have restrictions on user installed apps which only total about 70.

Everything work great. Awesome app. Awesome dev support.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

M66B

Recognized Developer
Aug 1, 2010

Download:

Changelog:

Since the reports are okay and since we have done a lot of testing, I have just uploaded version 1.99.9 to the Xposed repo.
http://repo.xposed.info/module/biz.bokhorst.xprivacy

banderos101

Dec 26, 2010
possible bug report, anyone else experiencing this

In the "data usage" panel, there are quite a few listings of ONLY categories, like the below example, i get this on all apps

0B0It5p.png

4.1.2 touchwiz based rom, im sorry, i cant provide logcat, damn things dont seem to work, i think its been disabled on the custom kernel i use

Last edited:

ParkerParker

Aug 10, 2013
ThE EvErGrEeN StAtE
possible bug report, anyone else experiencing this

In the "data usage" panel, there are quite a few listings of ONLY categories, like the below example, i get this on all apps

0B0It5p.png

4.1.2 touchwiz based rom, im sorry, i cant provide logcat, damn things dont seem to work, i think its been disabled on the custom kernel i use

This one is really easy to use

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat

If anyone has a better one in mind I would like to know :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MikeRL100

Jun 20, 2012
Think I found a bug. Now I cannot change the theme to the dark theme. Changing themes does nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

MikeRL100

Jun 20, 2012
Wonder what's causing my issue, then. Because I tried it again on another device and it still doesn't work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dreamweaver

Jan 14, 2009
Hamburg
Migration worked good for me but what is IPC? There is no chance to get an information thru the app so far...

Another problem. I made new contacts, minimum information to use for Whatsapp. So I restricted contacts in Whatsapp and allowed some few with allow contacts because I don't want to let Whatsapp know every detail of my contacts. It works so far but when I check a contact I allow for Whatsapp there are several links to the Whatsapp account. In Samsung so called joined contacts. It seems that a link is created everytime the app is started.

Can somebody reproduce the problem?

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 rooted Stock ROM (MGA) using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Droidphilev

The migration moves the settings/restrictions from the existing XML files to a sqlite database.
The way to determine if something should be restricted or not has completely been rewritten.
Please send me a zip file with the contents of the following folder after the migration:

/data/data/biz.bokhorst.xprivacy/shared_prefs

BTW, for stability it is better to use the latest 1.99.x, since this version solves some bootloop problems.

mailed

same with 1.99.9.

went from 1.11.12 to 1.99.9, rebooted and migration completed after few minutes. since then after every reboot i get the notification back "migration completed"

Reactions: banderos101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ic_launcher.png
    XPrivacy

After weeks of research, development and testing I proudly present the ultimate, yet easy to use, privacy manager: XPrivacy.

XPrivacy can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a set location being sent to the application.

You can use the successor XPrivacyLua on Android 6.0 Marshmallow and later.

Features

• Simple to use
    • No need to patch anything (no source, no smali or anything else)
    • For any (stock) variant of Android version 4.0.3 - 6.0.1 (ICS, JellyBean, Lollipop, Marshmallow)
    • Newly installed applications are restricted by default
    • Displays data actually used by an application
    • Option to restrict on demand
    • Free and open source
    • Free from advertisements

Read more on GitHub

The download link is in the installation instructions

You can also use the XPrivacy Installer as an aid to install XPrivacy.

This forum is for questions only. See here for bug reports and feature requests.

Please post messages related to privacy only.
    XPrivacy is not intended to make other application do things they are not supposed to do.

There is only support for the latest official XPrivacy version.

XPrivacy was a lot of work, so please support this project

If you want to donate, see here for all options.

Use at your own risk !

The latest version from a while ago still works properly up to Android 6 Marshmallow, if Xposed works properly on your device
    (you can ignore any internal error report of XPrivacy, since these are known to be harmless)

XDA:DevDB Information
    XPrivacy, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    M66B
    Source Code: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy

Xposed Package Name: biz.bokhorst.xprivacy

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 3.6.19
    Stable Release Date: 2015-07-01

Created 2014-08-03
    Last Updated 2018-02-08
    "More than 250 Android Games Use Your Mic to Track What You’re Watching"
    https://www.xda-developers.com/android-apps-tracking-mic-always-listening/

The above made me decide that we still need a decent privacy solution.

At this moment I have a fully functional proof of concept where Xposed hooks can be defined in JSON (text) files and can be applied to any app at runtime. The hook code can be written in LUA script. This means that hooks can be added without updating the Xposed module (for now called XLua).

To test XLua I have defined two hooks to fake the device location and applied them to the GPS status app. The result is that GPS status reports a fake location.

I will start with built-in privacy related hooks, but in the near future there might be a repository where you can download hook definitions from.

There is a lot more to tell about this, but I want to keep it brief for now. You are free to ask questions, but don't ask when it will be ready.

I wish you a happy and private new year.
    Due to too many bad experiences I will not be active on XDA anymore, which means that this will be my very last XDA comment. However, this doesn't mean I don't follow the XDA XPrivacy and NetGuard threads anymore and that development will be stopped. XPrivacy will be updated when critical bugs are found only (which didn't happen in more than a year). NetGuard will be maintained as well and new features might be added occasionally.

If you check my post count, you can see that I have been very supportive and that more than likely all mayor questions have been answered already. So, if you have a question, use the XDA search and you'll likely find an answer. If that fails, then other XDA members might be able to answer your question.

So, my last word: goodbye.
    After almost nine months since the initial release and after 85 experimental, test and beta releases since the last stable release, I have just made available stable version 2.0.

The main changes since the last stable version 1.11 are:

• Replaced XML settings files by a privacy service and privacy a database
      - Increased speed, stability and security
      - Allows for new features formerly not possible, like:
    • Added on demand restricting
      - XPrivacy will ask to allow/deny on actual function usage
    • Added white and black listing for files, IP addresses, domain names, commands, libraries and URLs
      - White and black listing on demand are available to anyone
      - White/black list management from the user interface requires a Pro license
      - Clearing restrictions will clear white/black lists too
    • Added parameters to usage data (option) (only Pro license)
    • Added a service to migrate settings, upgrade and randomize
    • Added sorting and extended filtering
    • Added multiple select and batch operations to set, reset, import and export restrictions
    • Added a series of new restrictions and improved existing restrictions
    • Added template for functions
    • Added user defined dangerous functions
    • Added in application documentation for all functions
    • Added switch to disable restrictions for each application
      - Allows for disabling restrictions, without taking away the ability to edit restrictions
    • Support for multiple users (if your device supports this)
    • XPrivacy became one of the Open Source Rookies of 2013
    • The number of crowd sourced restrictions is more than 5 million now
    • Donations are accepted in Bitcoins now too
    If you want to know all changes since the last stable version, you'll need to read the changelog, but be prepared: it is a long list.

Read here about how to upgrade:
    https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacy#upgrading

After handling over 1500 bug reports and feature requests and more than 5000 commits, I guess XPrivacy is pretty feature complete and bug free now. As I have said before, I don't want to continue working almost full time on this project, which doesn't mean reported bugs will not be addressed and also not that XPrivacy will not be updated for the next Android releases. It just means that no new big features will be added anymore. Since the core feature of XPrivacy is to protect your privacy, new restrictions will be added when requested.

XPrivacy was really a lot of work, so thanks or donations are appreciated.

If you think something should be written about this greatly enhanced version of XPrivacy on the XDA portal, you might want to use Tip us?.
    IF an Xposed version for Android 7 Nougat will be released, I MIGHT consider developing a paid only, slimmed down version of XPrivacy to protect your most privacy sensitive data, like contacts, calendars and location. We can discuss about what should be included. However, there would be no support to prevent tracking, so no restriction of device IDs, IP addresses, etc, since this is a lost battle anyway.

Would there be interest in this?