Rooting 4.3 with Saferoot to install CWM and Custom ROMs?

Search This thread

Phrisko

Jul 29, 2012
New York
to clarify

a-does it matter what size i make the slot? pros/coons?
am i limited in roms, i don't understand what it means when you saya touchwiz rom?

can i instal any decent rom, like a cyagenmod as long as i do the kernel after?
TouchWiz is the current 4.3 stock rom. You can't install a rom that is based on another rom other than TouchWiz 4.3. The only benefit of more space is, well, more space.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

JasonN3

Feb 15, 2014
TouchWiz is the current 4.3 stock rom. You can't install a rom that is based on another rom other than TouchWiz 4.3. The only benefit of more space is, well, more space.

so all this is just remoing verizon crap, but i cant get into crazy roms like CM?

where do i gert touchwiz 4.3 for this device?

Phrisko

Jul 29, 2012
New York
so all this is just remoing verizon crap, but i cant get into crazy roms like CM?

where do i gert touchwiz 4.3 for this device?

So far these are the most popular ones. I currently use CleanRom 8. It's debloated and pretty clean and smooth. I made a list with the link for you.

Wicked Sensations - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608639

CleanRom 8 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1904329

Moar - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2231050

Modded Stock Touchwiz - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2600305

Hope that helps and don't forget to thank ???

Last edited:

JasonN3

Feb 15, 2014
So far these are the most popular ones. I currently use CleanRom 8. It's debloated and pretty clean and smooth. I made a list with the link for you.

Wicked Sensations - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608639

CleanRom 8 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1904329

Moar - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2231050

Hope that helps and don't forget to thank ???

awesome, so just to be clear, when i run safestarp, i do the 2 files (rom and kernal) at the same time or one and then re-enter instal?

do you have a link to the kernal?

Medicstud007

May 18, 2011
Noob question - after I ran safestrap and installed clean rom I lost root. but can still boot into safestrap. How do I get root back

Last edited:

eersfanpilot

May 4, 2011
This is confusing

I'm sorry, but can someone clarify for me? Maybe I'm not sure what Safestrap is.

My previous S3 got damaged, replaced by Verizon. I was running CleanRom 6.
Upon receiving said replacement, it booted up and immediately took the OTA. Welcome to the hell that is my new phone running 4.3 stock.
Constant reboots and crashes!

I understand that I'm now on a locked bootloader. I understand there is new rooting methods that will give you SU but remains locked bootloader.

What I'm not understanding, based on what I've read:
You can not flash a custom recovery due to the bootloader issue. Isn't Safestrap a custom recovery? Scott says you must have a custom recovery in order to flash his new CR8.

I'm missing something I'm sure, so help would be great. I've been on Scott's CleanROM since around v2. I would love going back!

Can I go from stock/locked 4.3 to CR 8? I have always flashed my Rom's through Clockwork. Now what do I do?

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I'm sorry, but can someone clarify for me? Maybe I'm not sure what Safestrap is.

Upon receiving said replacement, it booted up and immediately took the OTA. Welcome to the hell that is my new phone running 4.3 stock.

I understand that I'm now on a locked bootloader. I understand there is new rooting methods that will give you SU but remains locked bootloader.

You can not flash a custom recovery due to the bootloader issue. Isn't Safestrap a custom recovery? Scott says you must have a custom recovery in order to flash his new CR8.

I'm missing something I'm sure, so help would be great. I've been on Scott's CleanROM since around v2. I would love going back!

Can I go from stock/locked 4.3 to CR 8? I have always flashed my Rom's through Clockwork. Now what do I do?

You're right, safestrap is a custom recovery but it's made specifically for a locked bootloader. It's the only custom recovery that will work for you.

It has a very different operation than other recoveries. So read up on it to understand how it works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: eersfanpilot

Phrisko

Jul 29, 2012
New York

Think of safestrap as a program that isolates the stock Rom and allows you to make compartments or "slots" using the remaining space on your phone. After creating a slot you can then use safestrap to install other touchwiz 4.3 ml1 Roms. Safestrap itself isn't a recovery but it conveniently has twrp included within the program allowing you to further back up your current stock rom and flash roms on created rom slots. Safestrap does all this without touching Knox or making changes to the phone which would otherwise trigger Knox and transform your phone into a fancy coaster.

Last edited:

eersfanpilot

May 4, 2011
Think of safestrap as a program that isolates the stock Rom and allows you to make compartments or "slots" using the remaining space on your phone. After creating a slot you can then use safestrap to install other touchwiz 4.3 ml1 Roms. Safestrap itself isn't a recovery but it conveniently has twrp included within the program allowing you to further back up your current stock rom and flash roms on created rom slots. Safestrap does all this without touching Knox or making changes to the phone which would otherwise trigger Knox and transform your phone into a fancy coaster.

Ok. So in a way it is similar to running a virtual box on Linux, or a dual boot system. (Ubuntu/Windows). At least that's how it sounds in my mind! Haha.

Thanks. I only want to run CleanROM. Any recommendation on slot size? I have the 16G phone with 16G external.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Phrisko

Jul 29, 2012
New York
Ok. So in a way it is similar to running a virtual box on Linux, or a dual boot system. (Ubuntu/Windows). At least that's how it sounds in my mind! Haha.

Thanks. I only want to run CleanROM. Any recommendation on slot size? I have the 16G phone with 16G external.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Totally up to you. The more space you use the less you'll have for other roms. If you don't intend on installing other roms then feel free to use the rest for CleanRom as you mentioned above.

Top Liked Posts