Official - the 4.X.X update - discussion thread

Search This thread

kc2kzz

Jan 16, 2013
I followed the ddex solution posted a while back and I am now in the patching system files phase.

I had re-imaged the MJ5 method and rooted via kingo, nothing else.

I will report back soon.

Some people are having completely different problems, which makes it much harder to figure out.

If you ever did the kitkat leak and restore back to mj5 you should have come up with the error about mobicore. The ddex sounds more like another fix that was posted in this forum.

Without full error I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeremy.carson

Nov 28, 2012
Moore
Safe Mode

I'm currently at work right now and can't try this without Wi-Fi, but has anyone who has reverted back to MJ5 and NB4 from the Leaked Version of Kit Kat, tried to do this OTA using safe mode? If you don't know how to get to safe mode:
Turn off the device
When the animation begins, hold down the volume down key until you get to the unlock screen
Safe Mode will show on the bottom left

This is just a suggestion I got from the Samsung People. If no one else can try this, I will attempt it when I get home and let you know how it goes.

baddison

Aug 11, 2006
USA
Sorry I am on kitkat (Typo).

can you detail your steps? having trouble changing file permissions, and copying into /system/bin. even though I am rooted and have grated SU permissions to ADB, still running into permission issues. Did you do yours thru computer, or on note device via android terminal?

ddowner007

Nov 5, 2013
Burlington, VT
I just used the Azrael method and am now on 4.4.2. I was coming from rooted NB4, and had done the MJ5 restore. Also, for me at least when I first tried to replace the mobicore-presetup.sh file it didn't actually replace the old one. I had to delete the original and then copy the new one. Flashing the update took about 5 minutes and the first boot took about 5 minutes as well. Thanks for figuring this out!

Last edited:

Azrael.arach

Jul 5, 2010
I just used the Azreal method and am now on 4.4.2. I was coming from rooted NB4, and had done the MJ5 restore. Also, for me at least when I first tried to replace the mobicore-presetup.sh file it didn't actually replace the old one. I had to delete the original and then copy the new one. Flashing the update took about 5 minutes and the first boot took about 5 minutes as well. Thanks for figuring this out!

No problem at all. Weird you had to delete then copy. I was able to just replace it.

As to problems with permissions I used root Explorer to do it and had zero problems.

kc2kzz

Jan 16, 2013
can you detail your steps? having trouble changing file permissions, and copying into /system/bin. even though I am rooted and have grated SU permissions to ADB, still running into permission issues. Did you do yours thru computer, or on note device via android terminal?

Sure, this is what finally worked for me (I am omitting all the reboots and failed updates)

1) Restored via MJ5

2) Accepted the NB4 Update

3) Rooted with kingo

4) Followed all 10 steps in the fix

5) Go to /system/bin/ Look for ddexe_real. If this exists, delete ddexe and rename ddexe_real to ddexe

6) rename 2400258.cfg to 2400258.zip. Copy to sdcard

7) reboot to recovery, apply update from sdcard.

8) System updated and rebooted. The Custom Boot screen went away after my 2nd reboot.

msbtt

Mar 14, 2009
Sure, this is what finally worked for me (I am omitting all the reboots and failed updates)

1) Restored via MJ5

2) Accepted the NB4 Update

3) Rooted with kingo

4) Followed all 10 steps in the fix

5) Go to /system/bin/ Look for ddexe_real. If this exists, delete ddexe and rename ddexe_real to ddexe

6) rename 2400258.cfg to 2400258.zip. Copy to sdcard

7) reboot to recovery, apply update from sdcard.

8) System updated and rebooted. The Custom Boot screen went away after my 2nd reboot.

You beat me to the punch, I was just typing it out almost word for word. That is how I got it to work for me.

Azrael.arach

Jul 5, 2010
I wonder what the hell I did different. I was rooted with Kingo and unrooted with SuperSU. My Kit Kat update worked perfect.

It seems to be happening when people use the mj5 restore. It is missing some of the Knox stuff. If you have never used it most likely your fine.

Nightowl67

Jul 28, 2011
Niles
I wonder what the hell I did different. I was rooted with Kingo and unrooted with SuperSU. My Kit Kat update worked perfect.

Did you happen to use any of the Xposed Apps and/or settings? The reason I ask is all I have done is root my phone using Kingo, installed the Xposed apps and a couple modules, and make a few changes to my phone using Xposed to my liking and my OTA updated died at %27.

So, I changed the settings using Xposed (most of what I could remember of anyway) back to default settings, uninstalled Xposed, tried the OTA Update again and same result. Only thing I haven't done is unroot the phone first and I'm wondering if that's my problem?

Any info would be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is for people that had the first problem of mobicore problem.

Warning::: THIS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CAN NOT SAY FOR EVERYONE. I AM NOT A DEVELOPER SO MY KNOWLEDGE IS VERY LIMITED!!!!

You need to download the update file from this thread. You will need to rename it to change the .cfg to .zip

Attached is a fix.zip that contains the files you need. You will need to be on a nb4 with root.

Extract zip files and copy them to your internal memory on phone.

Step 1 copy the mobicore-presetup.sh to /system/bin

Step 2 copy all the apk files to /system/app.

Step 3 For each apk you copied you need to set the rght persmissions. rw-r--r--

Step 4 Copy the update file that you renamed to external sdcard.

Step 5 Reboot into recovery by rebooting phone. As soon as screen goes blank from shutting down hold Volume Up + Home + Power. Once you see rebooting into recovery let go of only power button and wait.

Step 6 Once in recovery use the volume down button to highlight update from external storage and hit the power button.

Step 7 Use volume buttons to scroll down to update file and use power button to select it.

Step 8 Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Step 9 You will be returned to recovery menu, scroll down using volume buttons to wipe cache and hit power button.

Step 10 Hit power button on reboot and wait.
    Finally got mine to patch!

----CONFIGURATION OF MY PHONE -------------
    +My phone was rooted via Kingo 1.18 on MJ5.
    +Upgraded to NB4 via OTA.
    +SafeStrap installed with 1 custom Rom on Slot 1. The "Stock" slot was untouched in SafeStrap.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

What I Did:

1) Boot into SafeStrap
    2) Go to the Rom slots and delete all Roms and Partitions EXCEPT the stock slot (AGAIN, LEAVE THE STOCK SLOT ALONE!)
    3) Reboot into the Stock Rom
    4) Open the SafeStrap App and uninstall the bootloader

If Wanam Xposed is installed on your phone continue, else skip 5 & 6
    5) Open Xposed app and Uninstall the Xposed Framework
    6) Uninstall Wanam Xposed and Xposed apps

If you froze/Deleted any System apps continue, else skip 7 & 8
    7) Open the app you used to freeze the system apps (e.g. Titanium Backup) and unfreeze them
    8) If manually removed the system apps, go into your backup folder and restore them along with changing their permissions (search the forums for better explanations)

9) Open Root Explorer (or any file manager with root access) and go to /system/csc/
    10) Look for feature.xml.bak. If this exists, delete feature.xml and rename feature.xml.bak to feature.xml
    11) Go to /system/bin/
    12) Look for ddexe_real. If this exists, delete ddexe and rename ddexe_real to ddexe.

13) Connect your phone to your computer and transfer the OTA Zip (here) to your External SD
    14) Reboot into Recovery and select the update from SD Card option.
    15) Choose the OTA Zip file and let the Flashing Start!

If this helped you, please hit the Thank You button and let us know.
    Just to clear up any confusion...

There is no issue with the OTA in and of itself. If there was a mass problem, ATT would have recalled the update and made an announcement about it. The reason it is failing for some is because, at one point, these people had done something to their system. Either manually flashed a file in recovery, such as the GPS fix, or the leaked KK update from a month and a half ago, or attempted to root, or deleted system apps/bloatware. If you have never modified your system, or ran any task that would have modified your system in any way, the OTA works as intended. The tiniest change to your system, even if you're not rooted and are on stock NB4, would cause the update to fail.

What the update is doing is running a full system scan before applying the update. It's looking for every system app, every piece of bloatware, every system configuration file, etc, and comparing the data within to a reference list, so that each file can be updated. The OTA does not include the FULL system, meaning the data in the OTA cannot be used to make a full system image. That is, after all, the point of an "update" file. All of the apps and bloatware contained within the OTA are not the full apps, but are only the fragments of the apps that need to be updated. If the OTA was a full system image, it would be many GBs.

A lot of people are wondering why the NB4 update worked on modified MJ5 systems, but not this one. The NB4 update was a very small maintenance update that likely did not update any of the system files that are commonly modified, so it did not need to run the same kind of scans on the file system. The KK update, regardless of how people view it as, was a monster update which also updated every system app.

I've also seen some people mention that merely disabling a system/bloatware app through the Application Manager in Android would cause the OTA to fail. I can tell you that is not the case, as I had every ATT app and a lot of the Samsung provided apps disabled via this method. My OTA gave me no issues. Bottom line, if the update fails for you, you have either modified, or attempted to modify the system in some way, big or small. If you bought the phone used, or "certified refurbished", or if someone other than you uses it, they have attempted to modify the system, or have done so in the past.

The good news is that, even if you have modified the system, the talented people in this thread have figured out the issues and developed work-arounds. These will work. Just read, and follow instructions.
    Uploading to Dropbox. Link on the way.......

*dropbox suspended my public links*