Nook hd+ better option for comic than ipad or chinesses tablets?

Search This thread

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Hello everyone ?

Sorry for my English with translator :)

Wear some time thinking about getting a tablet for reading comics. Some recommend the Nook hd + comparing the quality of the screens with the ipad. Some body had occasion compare physically? All I could see so far was through videos where difference is valued, especially in cold tones ipad (I think most of the Chinese tablet I take a similar ipad, graphic processor?) and very warm in nook. For I intend to use, this is a far more important aspect for example whether or not camera.

Although this tablet have a time you think is still currently better option than the offers that come from China, such as Cube u39gt , FNF iFive x2, Pipo M7 or last Ramos i9, who have the same screen size and some like processor graph?

Think this would be an appropriate 4:3. Also weighs less than a 9.7 " almost having the same screen size?

I hope you can understand, and
i hope your answers,

Thank you in advance! :laugh:

hirent

Nov 5, 2011
Louisville
Hello everyone ?

Wear some time thinking about getting a tablet for reading comics. Some recommend the Nook hd + comparing the quality of the screens with the ipad. Some body had occasion compare physically? All I could see so far was through videos where difference is valued, especially in cold tones ipad (I think most of the Chinese tablet I take a similar ipad, graphic processor?) and very warm in nook. For I intend to use, this is a far more important aspect for example whether or not camera.
Although this tablet have a time you think is still currently better option than the offers that come from China, such as Cube u39gt , FNF iFive x2, Pipo M7 or last Ramos i9, who have the same screen size and some like processor graph?
Think this would be an appropriate 4:3. Also weighs less than a 9.7 " almost having the same screen size?

I don't know how it compares with the iPad in terms of color reproduction, gamut, temperature etc. but the resolution is quite comparable.
Resolution: iPad = 2048x1536 HD+ = 1920x1280.
Aspect Ratio: iPad = 4:3 HD+ = 4.5:3 (1.5:1)
Pixel density: iPad = 264 HD+ = 257

The portrait orientation of the HD+ allows me to read magazines and comics very nicely (IMO).
The best thing to do is to go to a store and check it out in person.
And of course you can't the beat the price: $179 vs. $500.
You could buy three HD+ for the price of one iPad.
And I would definitely recommend the HD+ over any generic chinese tablet; the price difference would be negligible.
You would have 1 year warranty and a cheap extended warranty if you wanted.
Plus the HD+ has CM11 support.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdajauser

jpisini

Nov 26, 2011
Weymouth
I agree with hirent if you can get to the store definitely try it out. I use mine for comics, magazines, and books on a daily basis and I love it.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: xdajauser

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Hello!

Thanks for the replies ! :victory:

What happens is that I live in a country where there is no physical stores to test the device . I assure you it is really hard to take a decision in this case. Just thank you for recommending me to try it in the store because it makes me feel sure of its quality .

For that reason trying to hear your opinions and see if I could so decide.

I've been looking for weeks and comparing and my final choice is almost Nook hd +

1) screen sizes : between 7.9 " ( a little small) , 9.7" ( does the tablet too heavy) 8.9 " (almost as large as 9.7" but rather lighter )

2) Screen quality : I could indeed observe differences in the screens in photography and video "nook -hd -and -ipad -3 -video -comparison " web " GoodReader " (10:11 minutes and 13:34 ) you can see the differences clearly . The colors are much more warm Nook probably closest to reality. But I can not be completely sure if maybe this is an effect of actual recording or so wondering if anyone had a chance to really compare .

3) Also I would ask if they know if the picture quality is concerned only with the PowerVR SGX 544 graphics processor or the screen also has some special treatment . And if it is all thanks to the processor , then other devices with the same processor would have a similar quality.

4) Somebody weight the device to determine if it matches the manufacturer says 515g ?

Sorry for so many questions, but these are my doubts, before making a choice.

5) The last question is if they know how could do to buy me a new one and send it to Spain , where I live , because I fear that Barnes and Noble besides having no shops here , not doing deliveries . The option that I know would be to find a seller on ebay that makes deliveries to this country.

Thank you so much for your answers, :confused:
Greetings ! :laugh:

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
Ipad air has 9.7" screen size and weights only ~465g. But I wouldn't spend 500$ on it.

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion extrem0 currently think is the lightest device with that screen size, but I do not like the price :)

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Hello again

still in doubt :)

1) think in my case being an international shipment, the total price would be $ 200. It would still be interesting Similar rates versus tablets purchased through aliexpresss? As Ramos Cube u39gt or i9?

2) In my case these would be $ 200 for a tablet Certified Pre-Owned. Think it would be a good choice for that price?

I remain very interested in this tablet but I would like to hear the opinion of people who have tried some Certified Pre-Owned.

I hope your answers

thanks

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
I had an iPad 3 and have an HD+, and the comic reading experience is very similar. A single page view of a comic fits the HD+ screen almost perfectly whereas on the iPad's 4x3 screen it had borders. The dimensions of the presented page are almost exactly the same, and as has already been mentioned, the pixel density is also almost identical between the two as well. I've used the official Marvel app, Marvel Unlimited (which is actually finally a decent app with the most recent updates!), and ComicRack HD, and they all look wonderful on the HD+'s screen. For the price it's probably the best comic reader tablet out there IMO.

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Hello,

thank you very much for the reply. Sorry for the question but what is the meaning of the acronym IMO? :)

You also have a Certified Pre-Owned? Or know someone to compare?

In this forum say that no differences were seen.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515800

But elsewhere say that all depends on what I had before. The useful life of the battery, ports, etc ...
Obvious, but thought I would have some quality control, because the price is very similar to a new one.

Some questions and doubts:

How long it takes to discharge the battery? And how long it takes to load? Think the weight is 515g posted real? The can weigh?

Sorry for so many questions! :eek:
Thank you very much again! :)

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
Hello,

thank you very much for the reply. Sorry for the question but what is the meaning of the acronym IMO? :)

You also have a Certified Pre-Owned? Or know someone to compare?

In this forum say that no differences were seen.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2515800

But elsewhere say that all depends on what I had before. The useful life of the battery, ports, etc ...
Obvious, but thought I would have some quality control, because the price is very similar to a new one.

Some questions and doubts:

How long it takes to discharge the battery? And how long it takes to load? Think the weight is 515g posted real? The can weigh?

Sorry for so many questions! :eek:
Thank you very much again! :)

IMO = in my opinion

Certificate-like new has the same quality as new one. Done discussion here. Nobody could be 100% sure about a device. Theoretically they are the same.

I have both and both of my devices are good, if this is what you want to listen.

battery usage all depends on your usage. I usually charge mine once every two or three days.

Let is be the end of story. Except for not having a camera, nook hd/ hd+ is the best 9 inch tablet you could get for the price.
Don't compare it to ipad, unless you want to pay $300 more.If so, don't ask for nook

The end.

sanjayng

Feb 11, 2011
Singapore
I have both iPad Air (got as a gift) and Nook HD+. iPad Air looks good, is fast and lighter compared to Nook. However when you start using the devices I like Nook HD+ below are the reasons.

1. Screen is good when reading a long webpage or a book or magazine.
2. It has a SD card option so that I can store all the PDF, Movies.
3. No need to install the crap iTunes on my laptop.
4. I can side load apps by downloading apk.
5. We can run custom ROM. I am currently running CM 11, which is amazing.
6. Price

rookiegenius

Jul 7, 2012
up, for reading comics The nook HD+ is probably the best cheap choice. The battery is very good. and it has SD card. Altho I do prefer a 10 inch screen since some comics the words are really small.

xdajauser

Apr 4, 2014
Hello!

Thank you very much for all the answers! :)

laofan:
I guess Certificate like-new is the same as Certified Pre-Owned? Or what you mean is that they are different things. Sorry for my confusion. Remember that my English is with translator :eek:

sanyaing:
I agree with everything!
I do not include an iPad in my options for price. But if any tablet china, despite the difference in quality.
The B&N warranty 'm not sure I will be useful, for shipping costs if you were to send from Spain.

rookiegenius:
I think it always would use the tablet horizontally, so that the font size is larger. I think a lot of comics have too small letters in vertical format.
For that reason, I think perhaps it would be better, in my case, the horizontal 16:10. In both cases 3:2 and 16:10 horizontal, the page would be cut. 16:10 screen would be a little wider and therefore the letter would be a bit bigger. I'm talking between sizes: 9 " 3:2 ratio Nook hd+ and some other 8.9" ratio 16:10.
Maybe screen sizes 9.8" - 4:3 ratio and 8.9 - 16:10 ratio would be similar?

I doubt too if using the Nook hd+ horizontal, logo, would be annoying.

Sorry for the length of the message and my english with translator :eek:

Thank you so much for your answers! :)

If you're looking for a good reader for android, I would HIGHLY recommend ComittoN. I've found it to be one of the best readers, and it supports network shares so you don't have to keep transferring to your MicroSD or syncing to dropbox or some other method.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.dip.muracoro.comitton

I think it always would use the tablet horizontally, so that the font size is larger. I think a lot of comics have too small letters in vertical format.
I have had no problem reading comics full page vertically, but I cannot say for sure if another language would be as easy.

I doubt too if using the Nook hd+ horizontal, logo, would be annoying.
if you mean the n logo, its actually 'dead' space, and the n is the home button. I actually find it comfortable to hold that side in horizontal mode to prevent accidentally hitting the screen.

Last edited:

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
If you're looking for a good reader for android, I would HIGHLY recommend ComittoN. I've found it to be one of the best readers, and it supports network shares so you don't have to keep transferring to your MicroSD or syncing to dropbox or some other method.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.dip.muracoro.comitton

I have had no problem reading comics full page vertically, but I cannot say for sure if another language would be as easy.

if you mean the n logo, its actually 'dead' space, and the n is the home button. I actually find it comfortable to hold that side in horizontal mode to prevent accidentally hitting the screen.

Hey,

Can you help me set up the server access on Comitton? I have the folder with the comics shared, but I don't know what the file path should be exactly that I should enter into the app. I don't know what the format should be exactly. I have the IP address and the file path, but how should it look/be combined in the app settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Can you help me set up the server access on Comitton? I have the folder with the comics shared, but I don't know what the file path should be exactly that I should enter into the app. I don't know what the format should be exactly. I have the IP address and the file path, but how should it look/be combined in the app settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My local IP address is 192.168.1.101 and I have my comics for shared as /Comics/
So the network location/host would be 192.168.1.101/Comics

Do you have a password on your windows user account?
If you do, you will use that Info to log in, if not leave it blank.

To share the folder, right click it and go to properties, click the Sharing tab and press Share to open a new window.
If you have a user/pass for windows, click Share, otherwise click the down arrow and select Everybody and click Add, then Share.
Click the Apply button to close out of the windows.

If You DON'T have a user/pass and you're on Vista/7/8, you have to disable password password protected sharing.
Right click the network icon and Open Network and Sharing Center, then click Change Advanced Sharing Settings on the left.
Scroll down and click All Networks, then click Turn off password protected sharing.

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
My local IP address is 192.168.1.101 and I have my comics for shared as /Comics/
So the network location/host would be 192.168.1.101/Comics

Do you have a password on your windows user account?
If you do, you will use that Info to log in, if not leave it blank.

To share the folder, right click it and go to properties, click the Sharing tab and press Share to open a new window.
If you have a user/pass for windows, click Share, otherwise click the down arrow and select Everybody and click Add, then Share.
Click the Apply button to close out of the windows.

If You DON'T have a user/pass and you're on Vista/7/8, you have to disable password password protected sharing.
Right click the network icon and Open Network and Sharing Center, then click Change Advanced Sharing Settings on the left.
Scroll down and click All Networks, then click Turn off password protected sharing.

Thanks, but now I think I am having username issues. I log on to my PC using my hotmail account, but in the Account name field in the app, it doesn't let me enter my full hotmail address. When I just use the username it says wrong user name or password. I can't believe something so simple is stumping me...

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

here's another thing, the shared folder is on a secondary hard drive, the E: drive. Internal. When I shared it the path it gives me is \\LAVIHTPC\Comics. So I have my IP address, I have what the path windows is telling me it is (should I drop the LAVIHTPC part?). I have my hotmail login which I use to unlock my pc.... and I've tried many combinations, nothing is working for me.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Scratch ALL that, got it. Forgot to follow your last step. I'm golden. THANKS!!!

Thanks, but now I think I am having username issues. I log on to my PC using my hotmail account, but in the Account name field in the app, it doesn't let me enter my full hotmail address. When I just use the username it says wrong user name or password. I can't believe something so simple is stumping me...

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 AM ----------

here's another thing, the shared folder is on a secondary hard drive, the E: drive. Internal. When I shared it the path it gives me is \\LAVIHTPC\Comics. So I have my IP address, I have what the path windows is telling me it is (should I drop the LAVIHTPC part?). I have my hotmail login which I use to unlock my pc.... and I've tried many combinations, nothing is working for me.

You could follow the steps for not having a user/password (it's less secure, but if someone's gotten on to your network, they would most likely have access anyway)

And yes, you would drop the LAVIHTPC part.

mikelav456

Dec 12, 2011
You could follow the steps for not having a user/password (it's less secure, but if someone's gotten on to your network, they would most likely have access anyway)

And yes, you would drop the LAVIHTPC part.

Ok cool, thanks. So does this app only work while on your home wifi? Is there a way to set it up to work when away from the house?

Ok cool, thanks. So does this app only work while on your home wifi? Is there a way to set it up to work when away from the house?

To read files from your computer, you would have to open ports in the router and connect via your (non-local) ip. For on-the-go reading, I'd suggest grabbing a few from the network, or copying to microsd. It is, unfortunately, the easiest way to go.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone ?

I don't know how it compares with the iPad in terms of color reproduction, gamut, temperature etc. but the resolution is quite comparable.
    Resolution: iPad = 2048x1536 HD+ = 1920x1280.
    Aspect Ratio: iPad = 4:3 HD+ = 4.5:3 (1.5:1)
    Pixel density: iPad = 264 HD+ = 257

The portrait orientation of the HD+ allows me to read magazines and comics very nicely (IMO).
    The best thing to do is to go to a store and check it out in person.
    And of course you can't the beat the price: $179 vs. $500.
    You could buy three HD+ for the price of one iPad.
    And I would definitely recommend the HD+ over any generic chinese tablet; the price difference would be negligible.
    You would have 1 year warranty and a cheap extended warranty if you wanted.
    Plus the HD+ has CM11 support.
    I agree with hirent if you can get to the store definitely try it out. I use mine for comics, magazines, and books on a daily basis and I love it.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda app-developers app