Find Your Device:
Or Continue to Thread: [Kitkat][Nightlies] CM11 Andro…
8th April 2014, 03:00 AM
Flag Auckland
Thanks Meter: 154

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blechd0se

2.) In short; it depends. It could have a negative influence if the value is set to high, but this also happens if the the value is too low.
Something like 40000 kbytes (= 40 mb) sounds a bit to aggressive for me, normally we should set it to something like 5-10% of the total memory (according
to the redhat source i linked, there are also explanations for other vm settings).
When we prepared the kernel for kitkat we also integrated a similar feature which did exactly the same (turned out it was a bit buggy and needed to be reverted).
If some of you find the sweet spot we are willingly to integrate that, because in the end thats exactly what i made aero control for.
For users to share their "best" configuration to help us improving the device experience for everyone

Just won't happen to soon from my side, since exams are incoming...

Hello, first of all, GOOD LUCK! with your exams
Secondly, I just had a quick read of the page you linked & noticed this:
However, setting this parameter to a value that is too high (5-10% of total system memory) will cause your system to become out-of-memory immediately.

1. To me, it says 5 to 10% is too much, am I reading this right?
If so as long as we stay under that it should be good?
I found 9MB(1024 X 9 = 9216) as suggested by @noideaforaname via @okij to be quite a nice improvement but 24MB 5% seems worse
4% 20MB was also good but I felt it was too aggressive for me as it seemed to be constantly trying to free RAM, may affect battery life?
2. The page you linked was for VIRTUAL MEMORY, but under min_free_kbytes it does say The minimum number of kilobytes to keep free ACROSS THE SYSTEM. This value is used to... for EACH LOW MEMORY ZONE...
Is this why this setting affects PHYSICAL RAM?
Anyway, thank you for your time & once again good luck

MB525 Red lense, Nord BL7, HF5X
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frozenwaverider For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift frozenwaverider Ad-Free