Moto formally updates support page: Razr HD, Maxx HD and M to get Kit Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the conflicting information like the rest of us in here. I think you are the one that needs a paci and a nap..

I haven't seen any conflicting info in the thread. Maybe some recent good info misinterpreted by some (cough cough NEYES cough cough).

Lol, didn't mean to hurt your feelings bro. You win the thread fight, I can't take your insults 8)

...though with work and school, a nap would be nice right about now.

Reactions: progrockguy

neyes

Mar 17, 2012
I haven't seen any conflicting info in the thread. Maybe some recent good info misinterpreted by some (cough cough NEYES cough cough).

Lol, didn't mean to hurt your feelings bro. You win the thread fight, I can't take your insults 8)

...though with work and school, a nap would be nice right about now.

OK but I surely wasn't the only one to "misinterpret" the info provided in this thread. And I am certainly not offended, you were the one that began slinging "insults". :good:

Playb3yond

Dec 15, 2012
I just hope we get something like vanilla android, blur has a lot of lag issues. Also I hope that we'll get the art runtime. That would complete me

koftheworld

Jun 9, 2010
Central NJ
I just hope we get something like vanilla android, blur has a lot of lag issues. Also I hope that we'll get the art runtime. That would complete me

I don't have any new information, nor could I give it, but wouldn't you think a huge change like that would be unlikely for a phone with it's last update pending

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
I'm thinking based on all of the information we've been luckily provided to us here in this forum, we are most likely going to see an official roll out in early May, and possibly a leak in late April. Hold tight everyone. At least Motorola is taking their time to ensure a smooth, bug less update. :)

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
HAHA! You should start a career in stand-up dude ;)

I get why people are frustrated that the update is taking time, and yeah, 4.1.2 may be highly dated, but you've got to admit the latest firmware (9.30.1) is stable as hell. And while I'm on the timing issue, it's relevant to mention that this update is jumping up our OS to 4.4.2 which is skipping 4.2.1- 4.2.2, 4.3-4.3.1, 4.4-4.41. That's a lot of coding to merge! Not to mention building a new kernel AND baseband & upgrading the "blur" elements... and they still have to incorporate what ever chunk of bloat VZW throws our way. I agree we're past due for anything past 4.1.2, but we all know this is likely our last software update so at least they'll be handing us the latest and greatest.

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
I get why people are frustrated that the update is taking time, and yeah, 4.1.2 may be highly dated, but you've got to admit the latest firmware (9.30.1) is stable as hell. And while I'm on the timing issue, it's relevant to mention that this update is jumping up our OS to 4.4.2 which is skipping 4.2.1- 4.2.2, 4.3-4.3.1, 4.4-4.41. That's a lot of coding to merge! Not to mention building a new kernel AND baseband & upgrading the "blur" elements... and they still have to incorporate what ever chunk of bloat VZW throws our way. I agree we're past due for anything past 4.1.2, but we all know this is likely our last software update so at least they'll be handing us the latest and greatest.

Not counting carrier bloat, the only thing Motorola really has to do is the kernel, basebands (gsm and cdma), hardware drivers, & proprietary libs. The Ultra line of Droid's already has the upgraded Blur for 4.2.2......unless they're going to port forward our ICS Blur, because I wouldn't mind waiting on that. Printer settings, the popup icons, hdmi settings...all that and more is why JB was a downgrade IMHO.

I'm wondering if hdmi is an issue for them since that's one thing we have that the new Moto phones don't (as well as sdcards, but that's just a few tweaks in the build scripts and not that hard to do). I really, really hope they bring back ICS's hdmi controls and options, or at least the lapdock working again. A fully working lapdock is all I really want out of the KitKat update....and the updated kernel and libs for our devs,

zachariahpope

May 5, 2012
Not counting carrier bloat, the only thing Motorola really has to do is the kernel, basebands (gsm and cdma), hardware drivers, & proprietary libs. The Ultra line of Droid's already has the upgraded Blur for 4.2.2......unless they're going to port forward our ICS Blur, because I wouldn't mind waiting on that. Printer settings, the popup icons, hdmi settings...all that and more is why JB was a downgrade IMHO.

I'm wondering if hdmi is an issue for them since that's one thing we have that the new Moto phones don't (as well as sdcards, but that's just a few tweaks in the build scripts and not that hard to do). I really, really hope they bring back ICS's hdmi controls and options, or at least the lapdock working again. A fully working lapdock is all I really want out of the KitKat update....and the updated kernel and libs for our devs,

Well one good thing about kitkat is that it has printer options baked into settings. Unfortunately though, I doubt they'll bring back Webtop simply because they did away with it a while ago, and that would be one extra partition to develop for. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though... hell I'd love to see webtop working.

skeevydude

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Hot Springs
Well one good thing about kitkat is that it has printer options baked into settings. Unfortunately though, I doubt they'll bring back Webtop simply because they did away with it a while ago, and that would be one extra partition to develop for. Nothing wrong with wishful thinking though... hell I'd love to see webtop working.

I don't mean Webtop, I mean hdmi working with the Lapdock, that's all. Webtop would be nice, but I just want the hardware working, and from there the community at large could do our own Webtop with Linux programs if we wanted to. The hardest part would probably be getting X and Android to play nicely (from what I've read)....but that's another discussion entirely.

The problem with JB is the resolution isn't detected properly so it has to be manually set in the terminal (I use a tasker plugin to automagically do it for me) then the overscan tweaked to get it to stretch from 720p to 768p.

With custom roms it gets bugged with the EDID and won't ever initialize unless it is plugged in at just the right time during boot, and for me at least, only with Arrrghhh's kernel. And when it does initialize with custom roms it's stuck at 1080p and none of the terminal commands work to change it like with JB.

The issue is the Lapdock is a dvi panel @ 1366x768 (not a standard hdmi resolution) and the phone's hdmi only works with the standard 480p/720p type resolutions. With ICS we had settings to tweak the overscan to scale the outputted resolution to the display, with JB that had to be done all from the terminal, with customs nothing works reliably or consistent.

steve0617

Mar 24, 2011
I just got some inside information and before anyone calls me a liar, stay tuned to David Schuster's Google + page. I have a feeling he'll be posting today about our updates. It's close guys ;)

Wow, good call. Too bad it's supposed to still take weeks.

"David Schuster

A number of people have been asking me about that status of the KitKat upgrade for the 2012 DROID family (HD and M). I am happy to report that we have made great progress and it should only be a few more weeks until you guys can enjoy it. So stay tuned...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well this thread has completely derailed.

Closed.

-El Daddy
    I'm trying not to say too much here because I don't want jeopardize anything.

Android 4.4.2

Kernel 3.4.42
    Every post in this thread that doesn't contain the link to the file is wasting someone's time. Including this post, indeed ;) .
    Update

Nothing more to say about the update... ;)
    You people are ridiculous. No more after this:

zyzana5a.jpg

By the way to the guy spouting about a zip, we in these type of programs actually do the test rather than just leak otas.