[Q] Xperia U unbrick

Search This thread

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
Hi there,

I recently got a used Xperia U. It's on ics ICS 6.1.1.B.1.54 Kernel. I'm using CM11 on my HTC One S and I thought that using a custom ROM on the Xperia U would probably get some more speed out of it. Being on HTC, I'm used to doing this through a custom recovery (TWRP).

With all the different topics around, I soon felt a bit lost. I managed to unlock the bootloader using the Sony website and this tutorial. That worked fine. The next task in my mind was getting a custom recovery on the Xperia U. Following the information in this topic I thought that flashing a kernel with a custom recovery would be the thing to do. I looked in the U development thread and flash this kernel. This is the output of that proces:
Code:
~/XDA/XPERIA U$ sudo fastboot flash boot keiran-recovery-st25.elf
sending 'boot' (9239 KB)...
(bootloader) USB download speed was 19507kB/s
OKAY [  0.502s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Flash of partition 'boot' requested
(bootloader) S1 partID 0x00000003, block 0x0000d000-0x00014fff
(bootloader) Erase operation complete, 0 bad blocks encountered
(bootloader) Flashing...
(bootloader) Flash operation complete
OKAY [  0.814s]
finished. total time: 1.316

I felt the phone buzzing once, and that was it. It seems to be dead now. Connecting the phone with USB while holding down the volume + or - buttons doesn't seem to do anything (no blue or green led coming on).

I would appreciate any help on getting the phone unbricked and advice on how to get a CM11 rom on this phone, preferably through the use of TWRP.

Last edited:

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
An update.

I didn't notice this yet but in the top right corner of the Xperia U the notification led is burning red when I connect the phone via USB to a PC (under Windows. I had the phone connected and I wasn't really paying attention until I noticed that the led bar was on in green. It seems a lot like this problem, but I'm not sure what to do.

When the green bar comes on Flashtool seems to detect the phone as can be seen in the attached picture.

Last edited:

Ryu--X

May 13, 2014
Paris
An update.

I didn't notice this yet but in the top right corner of the Xperia U the notification led is burning red when I connect the phone via USB to a PC (under Windows. I had the phone connected and I wasn't really paying attention until I noticed that the led bar was on in green. It seems a lot like this problem, but I'm not sure what to do.

When the green bar comes on Flashtool seems to detect the phone as can be seen in the attached picture.

i don't understand very well...

you want your phone to be unbricked , or you just want have cm11 on it ?

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
You have flashed a recovery image to your boot partition. Download a kernel, maybe this? Phantom Kernel and flash via fastboot > fastboot flash boot <kernelfile>

Ah! I see that now! I thought it was a kernel WITH recovery and that was just the Sony way of doing things.

I like your suggestion of flashing, the only problem is I cant get in flash or fastboot mode. My question would be if that is related to flashing the recovery in the wrong place or if it is a different problem, maybe battery related.

StinkyToilet

Mar 7, 2013
Medan
Ah! I see that now! I thought it was a kernel WITH recovery and that was just the Sony way of doing things.

I like your suggestion of flashing, the only problem is I cant get in flash or fastboot mode. My question would be if that is related to flashing the recovery in the wrong place or if it is a different problem, maybe battery related.

Yeah, you flashed the recovery to the partition where kernel should be, so your phone can't boot. Can it be detected with flashtool or adb?

Reactions: H2Oxide

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, you flashed the recovery to the partition where kernel should be, so your phone can't boot. Can it be detected with flashtool or adb?

So that is what is puzzling me. I flashed a recovery image at the boot partition :silly:, but now I can't get into neither fastboot mode (blue led) nor flash mode (green led) by connecting the phone with USB and holding volume up or down.

Did this happen by flashing an image in the wrong place? That sounds strange... Fact is I can't get into fastboot mode so flashing is kinda hard. Every now and then when the phone is connected to a PC the green led comes on and flashtool seems to detect the phone, but that is only for a short while.

About the kernel you suggested, how do I flash it? It comes as a zip. I'm used to flashing boot.img to the boot partition with fastboot or installing a zip through TWRP. This zip contains a .elf file and a META folder.

Last edited:

StinkyToilet

Mar 7, 2013
Medan
So that is what is puzzling me. I flashed a recovery image at the boot partition :silly:, but now I can't get into neither fastboot mode (blue led) nor flash mode (green led) by connecting the phone with USB and holding volume up or down.

Did this happen by flashing an image in the wrong place? That sounds strange... Fact is I can't get into fastboot mode so flashing is kinda hard. Every now and then when the phone is connected to a PC the green led comes on and flashtool seems to detect the phone, but that is only for a short while.

About the kernel you suggested, how do I flash it? It comes as a zip. I'm used to flashing boot.img to the boot partition with fastboot or installing a zip through TWRP. This zip contains a .elf file and a META folder.

Fastboot supports flashing ELF and IMG files. But, I see, that you can't enter fastboot or flashmode. I'll find out another option...

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
Fastboot supports flashing ELF and IMG files. But, I see, that you can't enter fastboot or flashmode. I'll find out another option...

Ah, I see... .elf is just another extension. I come from HTC and that is .img from what I know. If you could find another way, that would be great. I greatly appreciate your help. My thought was that, maybe, the battery is dead and it won't charge without proper software on the phone... I ordered a wall battery charger just in case.

Reactions: StinkyToilet

StinkyToilet

Mar 7, 2013
Medan
Ah, I see... .elf is just another extension. I come from HTC and that is .img from what I know. If you could find another way, that would be great. I greatly appreciate your help. My thought was that, maybe, the battery is dead and it won't charge without proper software on the phone... I ordered a wall battery charger just in case.

No, that shouldn't be battery problem... But that's a software damage and wrong kernel will not ruin the battery charging process. If there's no other way, you will need to bring your phone to Sony service center... :(

EDIT: I think your device is powered on (but you don't know beacuse the screen is black but actually is a kernel loop or kernel panic). Try holding power button and volume up until it vibrates more than 3 times? (I forgot maybe 5, or just 4?) Then, try to enter fastboot mode or flash mode. See if it works...

Last edited:

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013
No, that shouldn't be battery problem... But that's a software damage and wrong kernel will not ruin the battery charging process. If there's no other way, you will need to bring your phone to Sony service center... :(

EDIT: I think your device is powered on (but you don't know beacuse the screen is black but actually is a kernel loop or kernel panic). Try holding power button and volume up until it vibrates more than 3 times? (I forgot maybe 5, or just 4?) Then, try to enter fastboot mode or flash mode. See if it works...

I tried the key combination, holding them down for at least 60 seconds, with and without USB connected. Nothing happens. Could it be that the battery is drained by now and that that is preventing a succesful boot...?

StinkyToilet

Mar 7, 2013
Medan
A thing that I noticed last night was that whileholding down the volume buttons and then pressing the power buton, the notification led starts blinking in red.

Whoa. That indicates your phone is bricked (i think). It can be repaired. But, I've sold my Xperia so I can't simulate the damage like yours... BTW, have you installed the latest flashtool drivers?

H2Oxide

Nov 21, 2013

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the members responding have been rather discouraging saying my NAND is probably fried (or something) by flashing that recovery to my boot partition. This might be the case, but I try to be on the positive side and try the suggestions of the members that are with me on that side...

That being said: I love the rubber band idea! However, I had already ordered a wall battery charger for less than 4 pounds, so I'll wait for that one to be deliverd to my house before I go MacGyver style.

I have to be honest with you guys on two things: I cross-posted my problem in another thread (some of you are already aware of that). I'll continue on the problem just in this thread. The other thing I want to point out is that it is my wife's phone that I messed up. I just bought it on eBay for her because her HTC Desire C was giving her headaches... I guess you see the pressure here. I was able to mess up her new phone in about two days time.

Right, like I said I'm optimistic. With the occasional green flashes of the led bar and the actual cause of the problem taken in regard, I still think we'll be able to revive this machine. I'll try the wallcharger in favour of the rubber band, unless you guys say that is a bad idea. Could you point me to the/a right stock ROM?

Thanks again for the help.

ps: after this problem is solved I do want to get to a KitKat ROM. The unlocked bootloader is one step in that direction, but I need to take the next step and I'm still a bit puzzled about that step. Is it flashing a custom recovery and the a zip or do I have to do it through Flashtool...? any help on that is appreciated as well.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have flashed a recovery image to your boot partition. Download a kernel, maybe this? Phantom Kernel and flash via fastboot > fastboot flash boot <kernelfile>