[GUIDE Win/Linux/Mac] Debrick 4.3 with Odin or Verizon Utility + PIT [SOFT BRICK]

Search This thread

NoCrAppleHere

Jan 18, 2014
Sweet. And because I've been putting together bedroom furniture all night, and am now a tired nerd, would you have a link, or tell me which one from the OP you mean? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

What are you looking for exactly? Looks as if Prdog1 is offline. You want the rom that we use?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TwistingSoul

NoCrAppleHere

Jan 18, 2014

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Sweet. And because I've been putting together bedroom furniture all night, and am now a tired nerd, would you have a link, or tell me which one from the OP you mean? Lol

Can use the one posted above that is good and slightly modded with options or can go with totally stock base. Either way wipe dalvik, cache, data and system. Wiping internal sd card is even better but not always required to clear CM completely. Stock base is here. :cool:

http://www.scottsroms.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=511

skifreetony

May 27, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new to this and any help is appreciated. I've done custom recoveries and ROMs on other phone before, but this is the first time doing it with a Verizon Phone.

Before I attempt to do this, I just want to confirm.

Goal: Root a Verizon S3 and get a custom ROM on it (TW based).

I updated the S3 to the newest OTA (VRUCNC1)
So I have to:
1) Downgrade to ML1 via Odin
2) Safestrap and then that allows me to install a custom ROM?

Thanks!

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Hey guys, I'm new to this and any help is appreciated. I've done custom recoveries and ROMs on other phone before, but this is the first time doing it with a Verizon Phone.

Before I attempt to do this, I just want to confirm.

Goal: Root a Verizon S3 and get a custom ROM on it (TW based).

I updated the S3 to the newest OTA (VRUCNC1)
So I have to:
1) Downgrade to ML1 via Odin
2) Safestrap and then that allows me to install a custom ROM?

Thanks!

Need Safe Root and then SafeStrap. :cool:

Reactions: skifreetony

TwistingSoul

Aug 9, 2013
Bountiful
I'm assuming you want to odin to nc1 then take the ota. If that is the case yes but I have never used mobile odin, to many bricks happen from it. If you can find a pc it is much safer and much easier to troubleshoot problems.

That's exactly what I'd like to do, eventually. I waffle back and forth between going back to the official VZW release, and staying on CM 11, but the random reboots and lower than expected battery life (among other things) on CM could only be a placebo effect.

Reactions: ThePagel

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
That's exactly what I'd like to do, eventually. I waffle back and forth between going back to the official VZW release, and staying on CM 11, but the random reboots and lower than expected battery life (among other things) on CM could only be a placebo effect.

So I just found out Mobile Odin keeps your boot loader unlocked so you might want to wait until the 4.4.2 tar file comes out. If you take the ota you'llbe locked up.

Last edited:

TwistingSoul

Aug 9, 2013
Bountiful
So I just found out Mobiel Odin keeps your boot loader unlocked so you might want to wait until the 4.4.2 tar file comes out. If you take the ota you'llbe locked up.

Good point. Plus, I rather like being on 4.4.4, even if it is an unofficial build with Mastamoon's hackery to the cyanogenmod code stuffs.

Reactions: ThePagel

Nerdy D

Jun 25, 2014
Please help a noob!

Hey guys! Let me first start off by saying hello! I’ve been a lurker on this site for a while but need your expertise and advice today. I have searched high and low here and can’t find anything that helps this situation.

I have a Verizon Galaxy SIII that I am trying to roll back to ML1 in order to safeboot and safestrap the device. I have tried both methods listed in the OP but both fail every time I’ve tried.

Here are my phone specs:
Model: SCH-I535
Android Ver: 4.3
Baseband Ver: I535VRUCNC1

When using Odin ver 3.07 or 3.09 and the supplied firmware file it fails after rpm.mbn… When it fails I have to run the PIT function with the supplied .pit in order to get it to boot up again.

Here is the Odin log file:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/003> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> rpm.mbn
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

The Verizon utility method is a little vaguer in how it fails. I am able to connect to the device and start the process but it fails at 83% every time saying the device has been disconnected or unplugged. Looking at the phone, it is on the download screen just as it was when I started. After the failure I have to run the Odin PIT just like the other method to return the phone to a usable state.

I have installed the USB unifying drivers and everything seems to connect to Kies just fine. I don’t think it’s a USB issue but could be wrong!? I have tried multiple ports on my computer…

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :eek::eek::eek:

Nerdy D

Jun 25, 2014
Confirmation

Try this but make sure you stop at the boot chain. Also unclick auto reboot then flash ml1 with auto reboot selected. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52472356&postcount=174

Just to make sure I'm crystal clear....

1. Open up ODIN
  2. Select only the following box: F. Reset Time
  3. Flash the VRALEC bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  4. Reset ODIN
  5. Flash the VRALF bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  6. Reset ODIN
  7. Put the ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low _ship.tar.md5 in the PDA section
  8. Select the following boxes: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time
  9. Start the flash process

Sound correct?

Thanks!

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Just to make sure I'm crystal clear....

1. Open up ODIN
  2. Select only the following box: F. Reset Time
  3. Flash the VRALEC bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  4. Reset ODIN
  5. Flash the VRALF bootchain in the PDA section and wait for a PASS message
  6. Reset ODIN
  7. Put the ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low _ship.tar.md5 in the PDA section
  8. Select the following boxes: Auto Reboot, F. Reset Time
  9. Start the flash process

Sound correct?

Thanks!

Yes but you only need one bootchain. It won't hurt to do both if you want. Hopefully it works only a few people have confirmed it worked.
*edit*
You might want to add the pit file as well. It will check the repartition box automatically keep it checked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerdy D

Nerdy D

Jun 25, 2014
Its just the bootchain not the bootloader so it leaves out aboot. I'm assuming this worked for some people is because the 4.3 tars are missing part of the bootchain. probably to screw people over.

No dice....

Looks like it fails authorization... I tried three times failed at the same spot each time.

Here's the Odin Log:

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> VRALEC.bootchain.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/003> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/003> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I'm beginning to think this phone can't be rooted. :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS WILL WORK ONLY IF YOU CAN GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE (Odin mode) if you bricked your bootloader try HERE

Who can benefit from this?
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 then tried to downgrade resulting in a soft brick
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 and somehow lost there recovery or follow restoring stock recovery instructions HERE
    • Anyone who took the OTA to 4.3 but failed with access to download mode
    • Anyone who wants 4.3 but for some reason can not OTA
    • Anyone who took the NC1 update (new 4.3) and wants to revert to ML1 (old 4.3 with saferoot and safestrap support)
    Linux and Mac users must follow the Odin method using the correct PIT file (found at the bottom of the op) and substitue Odin with Jodin3 found HERE and spam AdamOutler thanks button for making Jodin3

WARNING! UPDATING TO 4.3 WILL RESULT IN A LOCKED BOOTLOADER FOREVER!!

4.3 with Odin

How to enter Download Mode
    • Make sure your device is completely off
    • Hold Volume Down + Home
    • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
    =====================================================================================
    1. Download and extract Odin <--- New link 1/23/14
    2. Download and extract ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z (official old 4.3 tar ball) or ALL_I535VRUCNC1_I535VZWCNC1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z (official new 4.3 tar ball)
    3. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
      Windows Kies Here
      Mac Kies Here
    4. Enter Download Mode
    5. Make sure Kies is closed then plug in your phone and wait for drivers to install
    6. Open Odin As administrator
    7. You should see your phone under ID:COM (you should also see it has been added in message)
    8. Make sure only Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time is checked
    9. Check PDA [ ]
    10. Click on [PDA] And select the .tar file you just extracted (Only use PDA Never use the others)
    11. Wait for it to verify the MD5 then click [Start]

From here on out its all automated Odin will Flash SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)
    4.3 With Verizon Utility [will always push the most recent firmware atm 4.4.2 and you will not be able to go back to 4.3] (Windows only for now)

How to enter Download Mode
    • Make sure your device is completely off
    • Hold Volume Down + Home
    • While holding both of them simultaneously press the Power button until you see the disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of all the buttons and press Volume Up
    =====================================================================================
    1. Download and unzip
      Windows SUA_ar.zip <--- New Link
      Mac SUA_ar.zip
    2. Open SUA_ar folder
    3. Install SUABnRSetup as administrator (might take some time and may not be nessesary)
    4. Download kies and install as administrator. make sure the [Unified Driver Installer] check box is checked at the end of the install (Might take some time)
      Windows Kies Here
      Mac Kies Here
    5. Make sure Kies is closed then go into download mode and plug into your pc (hold here until drivers install)
    6. Run SUA.exe as administrator
    7. Click on [Repair Assistant] (on the left)
    8. Click on run [Repair Assistant] (on the bottom)
    9. After repair assistant recognizes your phone click [Repair Galaxy S(R) III] (on the right side)

It will say "Due to the condition of your phone/tablet, all data will need to be erased during the repair."

10. Click [continue]
    From here on out its all automated it will download and install SCH-I535_I535VRUCML1 then restart (dont forget first boot takes time)

If you get stuck at 84% try THIS

If you get stuck in a boot loop go into recovery and do a factory reset (probably should regardless)

If you keep failing it might be because you have bad partitions. Download the pit file that matches your phone (16gb S3 use the 16gb pit file or 32gb S3 use the 32gb pit file) Follow the Odin instructions with the addition of your pit file By clicking [PIT] in Odin. Or try this fix Here

As long as things went smooth you should be back on 4.3 ready to take on the world!

Want root on 4.3? Use saferoot (ML1) HERE or towelroot (ML1/NC1) HERE Remember you are on a locked bootloader. You can not flash insecure bootloader, roms or custom recovery.
    BS link that routes to a junk download site! please remove

This is just plain disrespectful. I just checked every link in the OP and they take me to AndroidFileHost. I'm using Safari on a MBP. If you're referring to AFH, well we operate by a wonderful code around here: deal with it.
    Could you please walk me through how you finally got your phone to take the flash from ODIN? I have the same problems that you have. Thanks!

Sure, but be warned that I am a complete amateur and barely understand anything about the process. I just read dozens of forum posts and tried to understand what to do and what not to do.

After attempting the initial methods in the OP, I went about trying to account for broken partitions as suggested by ThePagel. I ultimately found the PIT file from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30547929&postcount=47
    These are strictly for Verizon GS3s, not AT&T, Sprint, etc. If you have a different carrier, you'll need to search around and find the right file. Get the 16GB file if you have a 16GB phone, 32 for 32.

First, based on the suggestion of one thread, I ran Odin as described in the OP, (i.e. the 4.3 tar ML1 file to PDA, and Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time ticked) PLUS adding the appropriate (16gb in my case) PIT file under PIT (obvs), and Re-Partition also ticked. As I previously described, Odin would then hang at "Initialization".

After trying this a couple times and a few variations (One thread suggested, if you hang on initializing, something about cycling the battery when plugged in but between initiating download mode and pressing the volume up to actually start it. This did nothing, nor did any variation on when I plugged it in, removed the battery, etc.)...

WHAT FINALLY WORKED: Just like OP, plus PIT file, NO TICK on re-partition.
    I.E. --> sch-i535-16gb.pit in PIT, ALL_I535VRUCML1_I535VZWCML1_2198062_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 in PDA, tick Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time. Hit Start.

YMMV, but my phone works now. Huge thanks to ThePagel for the OP.
    @ThePagel I PMd you. I will go ahead and post a mirror for the SUA_ar.zip here. You can move this link to the OP. Once everyone wakes up they are gonna shut down your dropbox for excessive traffic. :cool:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199403
    Couple things, when you redo the OP could you make sure to detail what scenario would lead you to using this tool? Maybe make that a little clearer.

Also, we don't have a bootloader to boot directly into like say HTC devices. Samsung let's you boot into recovery or download mode. Download Mode may be an equivalent term to "bootloader" for other devices but it may be confusing to new S3 users down the road. Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I think I can manage that

@ThePagel I PMd you. I will go ahead and post a mirror for the SUA_ar.zip here. You can move this link to the OP. Once everyone wakes up they are gonna shut down your dropbox for excessive traffic. :cool:

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319199403

Thankyou!

Would this work on a phone that wasn't bricked but you wanted to just restore it to pristine stock 4.3? (a sort of "oh crap, I accidentally deleted a bunch of system APKs - how do I get those back?!"

Yes

Kies should handle that. Not sure but as never used Kies but you should not need that other file. Just repair in Kies. :cool:

Because he is on 4.3 kies is no help. Its still giving us 4.1.2

Will this repair a broken recovery also? After I took the OTA I rooted then tried to install a custom recovery. Now when I boot to recovery I get the error "SECURE FAIL: KERNAL" as well as the yellow triangle. The phone does work and I can get into download mode, I just want my recovery back so I can do a factor data reset if needed.

Yes this will work just remember you run the risk of a hard brick if things go wrong