how do i backup my stock recovery?

Search This thread

RENEGAD3

Feb 12, 2012
North East, UK
As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks

Reactions: Alex46165

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
As title says, im going to install cwm but i would like to make a backup of my stock recovery for ota updates but im not totaly sure on how to do that properly, thanks

Connect phone to PC, boot into bootloader mode and type fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img that'll just boot the custom recovery as opposed to flashing it, that way you can make a nandroid backup of all partitions including stock recovery.

an0ther

Sep 21, 2013

The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
fastboot boot twrporwhatever.img, then flash supersu
2. Boot phone that has stock recovery
3. adb shell
4. su "watch your phone to grant root adb access if you haven't ever done it"
5. dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p43 of=/sdcard/recovery.img
6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.

Last edited:

tabandronil

Aug 28, 2013
Just a question

When restoring to stock.Should I flash just the recovery.img or I have to flash kernel.img etc files together with that??

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
When restoring to stock.Should I flash just the recovery.img or I have to flash kernel.img etc files together with that??

Not exactly sure what you mean.

If you are just trying to restore stock recovery, than no you do not have to flash kernel.

If you are trying to restore stock ROM, you have to flash the whole ROM, not just the kernel.

Restoring stock recovery alone does not restore the stock ROM (that may be part of your confusion).

Reactions: tabandronil

tabandronil

Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for clarifying.
I don't have a clear idea about flashing. I just read the instructions in the forum that during CWM flashing I would need those rom dumps and replace the recovery.img and misc.img with the one provided and also use parameter file or something. So I wanted to know about the failsafe to restore in case I mess-up. So I thought to restore I might need to do the same but now with my original recovery.img dump file.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Also I don't know what parameter file I should use during restoring. Sorry I am a newbie.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for clarifying.
I don't have a clear idea about flashing. I just read the instructions in the forum that during CWM flashing I would need those rom dumps and replace the recovery.img and misc.img with the one provided and also use parameter file or something. So I wanted to know about the failsafe to restore in case I mess-up. So I thought to restore I might need to do the same but now with my original recovery.img dump file.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Also I don't know what parameter file I should use during restoring. Sorry I am a newbie.

Its not clear to me what you're trying to do exactly, or what guide you are following (can you link it?).

Kinda sounds like you may be making it more complicated than it needs to be.

b.j

Jan 9, 2014

After rooting your mobile install rashr
By this you can backup your stock recovery to your sdcard

Sent from my iris SELFIE50 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: zumnao

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

MaXi32

Apr 3, 2014
Cyberjaya
The guys method of using recovery to backup recovery will only work on Philz… Not twrp as it does not always backup stock recovery properly. The proper way to backup stock recovery is..
1. Root your phone, which can be done by towel root or by just booting a recovery like he said,
3. adb shell
6. This will put flashable recovery.img on your internal sd card. Copy this and save it for later
7. "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img" will get you back to stock recovery, "fastboot flash recovery twrporwhatever.img" to flash custom recovery.

Very confused with your steps. In step 1, I install custom recovery twrp and flash supersu? then in step 2, how can I boot up stock recovery while in the custom recovery? Did you mean I need to flash back to stock recovery? if so that should be step 2.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Very confused with your steps. In step 1, I install custom recovery twrp and flash supersu? then in step 2, how can I boot up stock recovery while in the custom recovery? Did you mean I need to flash back to stock recovery? if so that should be step 2.

In step 1, you boot recovery without actually flashing it, using the indicated fastboot command. The TWRP file resides on your computer, so its sort of a "remote boot".

Reactions: kagwind

MaXi32

Apr 3, 2014
Cyberjaya
3. adb shell

In step 1, you boot recovery without actually flashing it, using the indicated fastboot command. The TWRP file resides on your computer, so its sort of a "remote boot".

Does samsung work with fastboot command? when i use the fastboot command it said waiting for devices. The fastboot devices is empty here:

bootrecovery.png

My phone is Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - SM 9005

MaXi32

Apr 3, 2014
Cyberjaya
I do not believe that Samsung devices have fastboot.

Thanks... any other way that I can backup my stock recovery.img without installing custom recovery like TWRP/CMW. The reason why I dont want to install this custom recovery is to prevent the Current Binary status to Custom. hmmm.. i have search al lot but mostly they said about using fastboot. unfortunately fastboot doesn't work on Samsung

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Thanks... any other way that I can backup my stock recovery.img without installing custom recovery like TWRP/CMW. The reason why I dont want to install this custom recovery is to prevent the Current Binary status to Custom. hmmm.. i have search al lot but mostly they said about using fastboot. unfortunately fastboot doesn't work on Samsung

Post to the forum section for your device, and see if others there can help you.

m8, stock, s-on,rooted, 5.0.1, twrp2.8.6.1 latest, only dragon-fi sound mod and custom battery indicator mods installed.
made nandroid backup of rom via twrp before and after mods.
so i couldnt make stock recovery backup. can you share link and guide me , i seen the thread named ruu, stock recoveries,cids, etc, but i could not understand what exactly and only is for me, and now what should i do to get OTA if its available , if sense 7 comes then also i need to stock recovery for getting it? or its for only firmware updates?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    109.4 KB · Views: 388

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
m8, stock, s-on,rooted, 5.0.1, twrp2.8.6.1 latest, only dragon-fi sound mod and custom battery indicator mods installed.
made nandroid backup of rom via twrp before and after mods.
so i couldnt make stock recovery backup. can you share link and guide me , i seen the thread named ruu, stock recoveries,cids, etc, but i could not understand what exactly and only is for me, and now what should i do to get OTA if its available , if sense 7 comes then also i need to stock recovery for getting it? or its for only firmware updates?

You need the stock ROM and stock recovery in order to be able to install future OTAs (your phone is already up to date, so this would only be for future OTAs).

As long as you have a TWRP backup of the stock ROM without any changes to the /system partition (root is ok) you can just use that, instead of downloading a stock nandroid from the collection thread.

For stock recovery, you need 4.16.401 stock recovery.

Reactions: wasim9283

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

3. adb shell

Connect phone to PC, boot into bootloader mode and type fastboot boot name_of_recovery.img that'll just boot the custom recovery as opposed to flashing it, that way you can make a nandroid backup of all partitions including stock recovery.
    Or just use flashify after rooting.

Sent from my SM-T805 using XDA Free mobile app
    Great thanks very much mate