[ROM][M7][KK][4.4.4] CyanogenMod 11 Official Nightly Builds

Search This thread

damac

Hello everyone. I'm new here, moved from HTC Desire HD. I've been on Mustavalkosta's unofficial CM11 nightly while on that device.
First thing I did after buying this phone was to flash CM11 nightly :)

I'm facing two problems:
1. Can't get audio to work in Internet Calling (SIP). Haven't tried anything except configure Internet calling in dialer and called. Call connects but both parties cannot hear anything.

2. I've tried a few kernels listed in the OP, but a few of them break boot. Don't know if they are still 4.4.4 compatible. Tiny Kernel worked, but can't enable LogoToMenu, which was the reason for trying other kernels (I'll post in the kernel thread as well, just want opinions of people here about which kernel they use and how to get them to work, etc. As I said, only want to get Logo2Menu working).

Thanks.

ajua

Nov 5, 2010
You'll need to attach a logcat to the ticket, it will be closed without one.

I stated that if a logcat is needed I will provide one but since this issue is clearly experienced by doing double taps I don't think the devs need one. I will keep an eye on the report, though.

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
I stated that if a logcat is needed I will provide one but since this issue is clearly experienced by doing double taps I don't think the devs need one. I will keep an eye on the report, though.

Why don't you just have one to start with so they don't have to ask, or they don't just close it out of hand without even looking? You clicked "I have read these instructions" which clearly state (and you ignored):

Jira Dashboard said:
All bug reports must be accompanied by a logcat and/or last_kmsg. Graphical and UI issues should additionally be accompanied by screenshots. Note: Your logcat may contain personal details (email), you may edit the file prior to upload to remove this information.

ajua

Nov 5, 2010
Why don't you just have one to start with so they don't have to ask, or they don't just close it out of hand without even looking? You clicked "I have read these instructions" which clearly state (and you ignored):

I would have made a logcat but I'm on a nightly release and they are not supported. That's why I wrote that explanation in the report. If one is needed, I will be more than happy to flash the M7 release (or the M8 that should be out soon) and make one.

If someone here is on the M7 snapshot and is willing to make one for us please let us know so I can upload it to the JIRA report before/if someone there asks for it. Thanks!

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
I would have made a logcat but I'm on a nightly release and they are not supported.

So basically not only did you not post a logcat as requested, but you also filed a bug report on a nightly, as they requested you don't? I don't think you read that "I understand portion" at all. Sigh. CM makes an outstanding ROM (imo) and provide us with many (thousands upon thousands) hours of coding. Is it really so much to ask for people to follow rules so they have legitimate bug reports (in this case, make a nandroid, wipe everything, flash M7 and no gapps, verify the bug is still there, submit a bug report with logcat)?

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
Hello everyone. I'm new here, moved from HTC Desire HD. I've been on Mustavalkosta's unofficial CM11 nightly while on that device.
First thing I did after buying this phone was to flash CM11 nightly :)

I'm facing two problems:
1. Can't get audio to work in Internet Calling (SIP). Haven't tried anything except configure Internet calling in dialer and called. Call connects but both parties cannot hear anything.

2. I've tried a few kernels listed in the OP, but a few of them break boot. Don't know if they are still 4.4.4 compatible. Tiny Kernel worked, but can't enable LogoToMenu, which was the reason for trying other kernels (I'll post in the kernel thread as well, just want opinions of people here about which kernel they use and how to get them to work, etc. As I said, only want to get Logo2Menu working).

Thanks.

Have got checked Kangaroo kernel for AOSP? Can't remember if he has the L2M though.
The link to his AOSP kernel is in post #4 of his Sense thread here.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564895

HTC One M7_UL CyanogenMod 11

Reactions: damac

ajua

Nov 5, 2010
So basically not only did you not post a logcat as requested, but you also filed a bug report on a nightly, as they requested you don't? I don't think you read that "I understand portion" at all. Sigh. CM makes an outstanding ROM (imo) and provide us with many (thousands upon thousands) hours of coding. Is it really so much to ask for people to follow rules so they have legitimate bug reports (in this case, make a nandroid, wipe everything, flash M7 and no gapps, verify the bug is still there, submit a bug report with logcat)?
If you read a few pages back you will see two or three users on M7 confirmed what I reported on that same build and also on the latest nightlies.

While searching JIRA for similar reports I saw many without logcats because they weren't necessary and the devs didn't required one in the comments.

That and time constraints is why I choose not to flash M7 and attach a logcat.

When M8 comes out I'll make a clean install and the first thing on my list is to make a logcat.

Regards!

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
If you read a few pages back you will see two or three users on M7 confirmed what I reported on that same build and also on the latest nightlies.

While searching JIRA for similar reports I saw many without logcats because they weren't necessary and the devs didn't required one in the comments.

That and time constraints is why I choose not to flash M7 and attach a logcat.

When M8 comes out I'll make a clean install and the first thing on my list is to make a logcat.

Regards!

Check ur PMs, I tried to make a logical of my M7 Snapshot.

HTC One M7_UL CyanogenMod 11

Reactions: ajua

damac

subarudroid

Jun 18, 2011
SL,UT
This is how I see things playing out. (Grabs popcorn)

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1404399697420.jpg
    1404399697420.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 206

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
Thanks! Will give that one a try. He doesn't list L2M though. I'll try it anyway just to see if it makes a difference to the Internet Calling.

Well that's a bummer. I wasn't sure if he had that option & now I know. Hopefully it works for Internet calls.
The OP, @poondog, is very approachable. Drop him a post & see if he has recommendations. He's a Sense guy first though but does dabble a little in AOSP btwn classes & kernel updates, sometimes.

HTC One M7_UL CM11 200609_Snapshot_M7_m7

poondog

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 11, 2011
Melbourne
Well that's a bummer. I wasn't sure if he had that option & now I know. Hopefully it works for Internet calls.
The OP, @poondog, is very approachable. Drop him a post & see if he has recommendations. He's a Sense guy first though but does dabble a little in AOSP btwn classes & kernel updates, sometimes.

Who is that? For what reason have thou summoned me

Subtly reminding me I need to update the AOSP kernel? :)

damac

Tried it, but didn't get either of the two to work. Ah, well, will keep looking. Thanks for your help :)

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

Who is that? For what reason have thou summoned me

Subtly reminding me I need to update the AOSP kernel? :)

Hi @poondog, @ghostryder12 was helping me to try to get (a) Internet Calling and (b) LogoToMenu working on this rom. Tried a few kernels like TinyKernel, Kangaroo kernel, but couldn't get either of the two things to work. Internet calling is more important for me. Any clues? Anything I can do to help debug/test?

Thanks.

intervigil

Jun 5, 2009
Bay Area
To those interested in the bug report for the lag in the home button when set to open recent apps here's the link to my submission in the JIRA site:

https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-4524

This is a side effect of how double tap detection works. Upon detecting a first tap, you must wait a few milliseconds until to see if the user taps a second time, otherwise you cannot detect a double tap. The wait after the first tap is the "lag" you are complaining about.

This is impossible to "fix", unless someone invents a way of detecting a double tap without waiting to see whether the user taps a second time.

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
This is a side effect of how double tap detection works. Upon detecting a first tap, you must wait a few milliseconds until to see if the user taps a second time, otherwise you cannot detect a double tap. The wait after the first tap is the "lag" you are complaining about.

This is impossible to "fix", unless someone invents a way of detecting a double tap without waiting to see whether the user taps a second time.

Hmm, interesting. However, I've never experienced this "milliseconds" time when I use Sense 6.0. I just checked my ViperOne Sense 6 nandroid.

OK, thanks intervigil for the explanation.

Last edited:

ajua

Nov 5, 2010

The problems is not that it gets delayed. Is that it works fast most of the time as with the stock Sense rom but some times it gets a more pronounced delay. I can see what you mean as how detection works but if the implementation works the same as the OEM but gets a different response every now and then, there's clearly an issue with it.

Hmm, interesting. However, I've never experienced this "milliseconds" time when I use Sense 6.0. I just checked my ViperOne Sense 6 nandroid.

OK, thanks intervigil for the explanation.

The stock OEM experience was my point of reference when I posted about this. If the implementation in CM11 was consistent 100% of the time I wouldn't have an issue and I would think that nothing can be done, but it's how there is a different behavior from time to time.

I updated the report with your logcat (thanks!) and made a reply to try to clarify this issue is about inconsistent response.

ghostryder12

Jun 26, 2009
Northern California
The problems is not that it gets delayed. Is that it works fast most of the time as with the stock Sense rom but some times it gets a more pronounced delay. I can see what you mean as how detection works but if the implementation works the same as the OEM but gets a different response every now and then, there's clearly an issue with it.

The stock OEM experience was my point of reference when I posted about this. If the implementation in CM11 was consistent 100% of the time I wouldn't have an issue and I would think that nothing can be done, but it's how there is a different behavior from time to time.

I updated the report with your logcat (thanks!) and made a reply to try to clarify this issue is about inconsistent response.

You're welcome, I'm hoping that log cat captured the issue.

intervigil

Jun 5, 2009
Bay Area

I updated and re-opened the bug report. The comment makes the actual problem clear. This is probably related to all the other issues that m7 has. (inconsistent wake from suspend speed, skips in BT playback, etc) I suspect there's an issue somewhere with the kernel timer, but this isn't an easily solvable problem at all.

Reactions: razorloves

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    While I like the new interface, this is still garbage as long as something as basic as speaker phone remains so inexplicabley broken... People I'm speaking to over speaker phone are still complaining it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel. Pretty impressive how this issue continues to be unadressed.

Wake me up at the next stop. I'll be on a working sense Rom...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Frankly if that's the attitude you have about Android development you should stay on stock because there's always the chance for something to break. Especially when you're talking Cyanogenmod nightlies. So take your bad attitude elsewhere it will not be missed.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
    Everyone:

Starting tomorrow the m7ul, m7tmo, m7att builds will no longer be updated. They are now (finally) commonized to "m7". Please keep that in mind going forward.

Thanks,
    -h8rift
    Have just submitted my first patch. I have found little mistake in our amp code that made left channel not being played at all. Instead we had right channel played through two speakers.
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/57093/
    Hope it will be merged :)
    I'm thinking the microphone issue people are experiencing seems to be subjective, or I have a very high tolerance for bad quality audio.

I have not heard anything about the haptic feedback. What issue is this?

Proximity sensor performance seems to vary from device to device. Some people have reported that the sensor is basically non-functional, others have reported no issues.

I have not heard anything about memory management.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say CyanogenMod should have enough respect, but for me personally, I simply do not frequent XDA, nor do I plan to do so more than perhaps once or twice a month.
    You can file bug reports using JIRA (but only against stable and M builds), however those are also taken care of on an ad-hoc basis, subject to maintainer schedule.
    Easiest way to get into actual contact with people is to use IRC.
    Try the #cm-htc, or the main #cyanogenmod or #cyanogenmod-dev channels.

The speakerphone mic issue is subjective in the sense that people who rely on speakerphone say it's broken and those of us (like me) who rarely use it, except to listen to voice mail, say it works fine. My testing shows that only the rear microphone is used for speakerphone, so depending on how you hold the phone it's easy to cover the mic in a way that it doesn't pickup correctly and the remote party cannot hear you. It's flaky, at best.

Proximity sensor work fine on my device (screen goes off with my hand about 2" from the sensor), by I remember a bunch of tweaking on 10.2 because the correct values vary among devices and their sensitivity.

Haptic feedback does occasionally stutter since the switch to msm8960 kernel. I only have it enabled for hardware keys, but those that have it enabled for keyboard use notice the stutter more frequently.

Also, since msm8960 kernel the notification LED sometimes get stuck on solid amber vs flashing, unlocking the device gets it flashing again.

As for support, until M5 the stable builds were based on m7 kernel, so it wasn't possible to report these msm8960 bugs on JIRA.

Also, I'd say that it would make sense to frequent XDA more often if you are a device maintainer because 99% of the casual CM users are going to come to these forums to report bugs and resolve issues, most will never open a bug on JIRA or hop on the IRC channel.

I agree with @sabret00the regarding the development model for CM, it has worked in the past but there's much room for improvement if CM wants to make a move to a widely used product. A wide tester base that includes many casual users is key, so there needs to be a (user friendly) mechanism for those users to report issues on incremental builds. Maybe that means abandoning nightlies for weekly builds that are more stable and feature targeted so that users can report issues.

Maybe an app built into CM to report issues directly from the device, uploading logcat and last_kmsg and other state that's helpful to debugging the issues.

We do appreciate the work you and other's have put into CM on m7 to bring it to this point, but I'm sure you can see the frustration that exists from long standing issues which are known to the user base but the maintainers aren't aware of or have the appearance of being ignored.
    Not just on the latest, but on every nightly so far, especially if you try setting a lower Max frequency.

Yup, I'm working on a fix. Hopefully will commit in the next couple days.