jackeagle

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / Recognized Dev / Dev Rel
Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Hello Everyone....:D:D

Today I will present you all the ultimate guide for ROM development starting from Source to End.
This guide will be applicable to all devices.
So lets Start :D

What is Android? :rolleyes:

Android is an open-source operating system developed by Google for smartphones, tablets, and other devices. It provides a user-friendly interface and supports a vast ecosystem of applications through the Google Play Store. With its Linux-based foundation, Android enables multitasking and offers extensive customization options for both manufacturers and users. Its integration with Google services enhances functionality and connectivity, making Android a popular choice for mobile devices worldwide.
Full Freedom for people using it :D

What is Android Source Code?

Android is an open-source software stack developed for a diverse range of devices with varying form factors. The primary objective of Android is to provide an open software platform that is accessible to carriers, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), and developers, enabling them to bring their innovative ideas to life. The goal is to create a successful, real-world product that enhances the mobile experience for users. One of the notable features of Android is that it offers a complete, production-quality consumer product with source code that is openly available for customization and porting.
Android allows for extensive customization and enables developers to create new functionalities and experiences without significant restrictions. This openness fosters creativity and empowers developers to tailor Android to suit their specific needs. It also encourages collaboration within the Android community, where developers can share their enhancements, contribute to the platform's evolution, and address any issues or bugs.
So basically Android Allows to customize the things you like and make new things without any Restrictions. Cool isn’t it? :cool:

What is Android ROM ?

An Android ROM refers to a customized version of the Android operating system that is installed on a device. ROM stands for "Read-Only Memory," which originally referred to firmware stored in a device's memory. However, in the context of Android, a ROM typically refers to the software package that includes the operating system, user interface, and other components specific to a particular device or a modified version of Android.

While it is true that an Android ROM includes the user interface (UI) and the file system for maintaining contacts and other data, it is not limited to those aspects. The Android ROM is built upon a Linux kernel, which serves as the foundation for the operating system. Additionally, the ROM includes various system-level components, libraries, and apps that provide specific functionalities and features.

ROMs can be developed by device manufacturers (such as HTC, Samsung, or LG) to provide a customized user experience on their devices. They often come with a unique user interface overlay, such as HTC's Sense UI or Samsung's One UI, which can offer additional features and visual enhancements.

Moreover, ROMs can also be developed by third-party developers or communities, known as custom ROMs. Custom ROMs are modified versions of Android created by independent developers or enthusiast communities. These ROMs are typically designed to offer additional features, customization options, improved performance, or compatibility with older devices that may no longer receive official updates.

What does a Android Rom Contain ?
Basically a Android Rom Contains following main things:

1. Kernel: The kernel is the core of the operating system that manages system resources and facilitates communication between hardware and software.
  2. Bootloader: The bootloader is responsible for initializing the device's hardware and loading the operating system into memory during the boot process.
  3. Recovery: The recovery is a separate bootable partition on the device that allows for system maintenance, installation of updates, and performing backups or restores.
  4. Radio: The radio refers to the software responsible for managing the device's wireless communication, including cellular connectivity.
  5. Framework: The framework consists of a set of libraries and APIs that provide the foundation for application development and interaction with the device's hardware and services.
  6. Apps: Android ROMs typically include pre-installed applications, such as system apps (e.g., dialer, messaging) and other core apps (e.g., calendar, browser), which may vary depending on the ROM.
  7. Core: The core components of the Android operating system, including system services, libraries, and essential system processes.
  8. Android Runtime: The Android Runtime (ART) is the runtime environment responsible for executing Android applications. It converts apps from bytecode into machine code for efficient execution.

Some Basics About Above Terms

Kernel

• The Android kernel is a key component of the Android operating system, serving as the core of the software.
  • It is based on the Linux kernel but includes modifications and additions specific to the Android platform.
  • The kernel provides essential functionalities, such as hardware abstraction, process management, and memory management.
  • It controls the device's hardware resources, including the CPU, memory, storage, and input/output devices.
  • The kernel manages drivers that enable communication between the operating system and hardware components.
  • It facilitates power management, optimizing resource usage to maximize battery life.
  • The kernel handles security mechanisms, such as process isolation and permissions, to protect against unauthorized access.
  • It enables multitasking by scheduling and prioritizing tasks, allowing multiple applications to run simultaneously.
  • The kernel supports various file systems, networking protocols, and device drivers to ensure compatibility with different hardware configurations.
  • Kernel updates are released periodically to improve performance, fix bugs, and address security vulnerabilities.

Bootloader
  • The Android bootloader is a critical component that starts the boot process on an Android device.
  • It verifies the integrity and authenticity of the software before loading it.
  • The bootloader is responsible for loading the operating system kernel.
  • It initializes essential hardware components, such as the CPU, memory, and display.
  • The bootloader acts as a security checkpoint, preventing unauthorized modifications to the device's software.
  • It ensures the device boots into a trusted and secure state, protecting against malware and unauthorized access.
  • The bootloader provides a means to unlock the device for advanced customization and firmware modifications.
  • Bootloader unlocking allows for installing custom ROMs, kernels, and recovery images.
  • Some devices have locked bootloaders by default to maintain system integrity and prevent unauthorized modifications.

Recovery
  • Android Recovery is a built-in feature that provides a separate environment for system maintenance and troubleshooting.
  • It is accessed by booting into recovery mode, usually through a combination of hardware buttons during device startup.
  • The recovery mode allows users to perform various tasks, such as applying software updates and factory resetting the device.
  • It provides a limited but essential set of functions to recover or repair a malfunctioning Android system.
  • In recovery mode, users can clear cache partitions to resolve performance issues caused by cached data.
  • It enables users to flash custom ROMs, official firmware updates, and other system modifications.
  • Recovery mode allows for making and restoring system backups, protecting user data and settings.
  • It provides a command-line interface (ADB) for advanced troubleshooting and system-level operations.
  • Recovery mode is separate from the main Android system, ensuring stability even if the main OS encounters problems.

These are main parts of Android Operating System.

Now that we know what Android is and what it contains, let's move on to the next major step, which is Android ROM development from source. However, before starting this process, we need to set up some initial setup and development environment.

Android Rom Development

Setting Up Linux Enviroment

Pre – Requirements for Android Rom Development

1) Linux Operating System (I will use Ubuntu 13.10 as an example and recommend it to all)
2) Java Development Kit (JDK)
3) Various Tools

Once you have downloaded Ubuntu 13.10, you can install it in two ways:
1) Installing it as the primary operating system
2) Installing it inside Windows using a virtual machine (VM) or virtualization software like VirtualBox (free) or VM Workstation/Player (paid)
3) Dual-booting Linux alongside Windows by creating separate partitions

In this guide, I will explain how to install Linux inside Windows using VirtualBox as an example.

How to Install Ubuntu in VirtualBox

1. Download and install Oracle VM VirtualBox on your computer.
2. Download the Ubuntu ISO file from the official Ubuntu website or the specific version you want to install.
3. Open VirtualBox and click on New to create a new virtual machine.

M3QKn8t.png

4. Enter a name for your virtual machine, select Linux as the type, and choose the version that matches your Ubuntu ISO.

qw7keQx.png

b6ACrTD.png

5. Set the desired amount of RAM for the virtual machine. It's recommended to allocate at least 2GB or more.

FRx9MXi.png

6. Create a virtual hard drive by selecting Create a virtual hard disk now. Choose the VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) option and click Next.

jLe0HkX.png

- Select Dynamically allocated and leave the Split into files option unchecked.

EtrNQrT.png

- Specify the amount of HDD space you want to allocate and choose the location for the virtual hard drive (VMDK).

YJci8mw.png

Q183qwt.png

7. Go to Settings -> System -> Processor and set the desired number of cores for the Guest OS. In this example, we allocate 2 cores.

RIODIn7.png

8. Now, go to Settings -> System -> Acceleration and make sure both options are selected.

KAbCX0n.png

9. Next, go to Settings -> Storage -> Controller: IDE and click on the small CD with the plus icon.

d9Yddtw.png

- Navigate to the location where you saved the Ubuntu ISO file and select it.
- Click OK to save the changes.

5thCPCd.png

S4bxR0b.png

10. You can now start the virtual machine by clicking Start.

11. The Ubuntu installation process will begin, and you can follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

12. Once the installation is finished, you'll have Ubuntu running in VirtualBox.

AFgMcaI.png

85WlRAQ.png

7gaHrqW.png

VkZavut.png

ufrVr8I.png

ynfGFTB.png

msCeMV7.png

That's it! You have successfully installed Ubuntu in VirtualBox.

Hurrrray your Linux System is Ready!

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Setting Up Build Enviroment For Compiling ROM's

Installation of Necessary Tools and packages for ROM Development

1)Installing Java Development Kit (JDK)

For Kitkat

Installation of Java V6

Open The Terminal and Paste following Command

a) This will Remove the wrong Java JDK from Ubuntu 13.10
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* icedtea-\* icedtea6[COLOR=#007700][COLOR=black]-\*[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

b) Enter the Following Command and This will Install JDK

Code:
wget https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java/+files/oracle-java6-installer_6u45-0%7Ewebupd8%7E8_all.deb sudo dpkg -i oracle-java6-installer_6u45-0~webupd8~8_all.deb wget https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java/+files/oracle-java6-set-default_6u45-0%7Ewebupd8%7E8_all.deb sudo dpkg -i oracle-java6-set-default_6u45-0~webupd8~8_all.deb

c) Check The Java Version Installed
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]java -[COLOR=#0000BB][COLOR=black]version [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

For Lollipop Required Java Version is 7

To Install Java V7

Code:
 sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

:DJava Installation Completes:D

2)
Installation Of Required Tools
Enter The Following Command
Code:
sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg ccache lzop flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5 lib32z1 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32ncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.8-dev python
Note : If you get error like broken dependencies then use the following command and then use above command.:D

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
After Installation Completes Enter The Following Command
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so
So The Above Are The Packages

Now comes the binary called Repo.

What Is Repo?:rolleyes:

Repo is a repository management tool that we built on top of Git. Repo unifies the many Git repositories when necessary, does the uploads to our revision control system and automates parts of the Android development workflow.

Code:
mkdir ~/bin && curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
Using Text Editor Open ~/.bashrc for that use following command
Code:
sudo nano ~/.bashrc
At The Very Bottom Line Add following Line
Code:
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH
Save it. Here To save Press Ctrl+O and Enter and Ctrl+X to exit:)
Now Enter Following Command
Code:
source ~/.bashrc

:cool::cool:Now Your System Is Ready For ROM Building:D:D

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Downloading Sources

To build a Rom from Source first we need to download the sources from git.
Note : Sources will be very huge approx 13GB to 14GB hence lot of patience is required since it will take some time depending on your Internet connection speed.

So lets start..

Here i will take the example of cm11.
The steps goes has follows

1) Create a directory were your sources will be downloaded. Enter the following command to terminal to create a directory

Code:
mkdir cm11
Now in your Home directory you will see folder called cm11.

1zEeVvZ.png

2) The next step is you have to Initiate the repo. meaning of the repo is given above. It will communicate with the git and download the source were it is stored.
Enter The Following Command to Terminal
Code:
cd cm11
This will take you to the directory you created in Step 1.

8zCZANO.png

Now Enter The Following Command Which Will Initiate The Repo :laugh:
Code:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0[/SIZE][/FONT]

AH3P62H.png

MesK53W.png

Since i m taking example of cm11 above repo initiate command is used you can find this here for CM11
Note : All the details for Repo Initiate and Building will be given in respective Source Github. Various Github source links will be given in discription and the end.

This will initialize your local repository using the CyanogenMod trees.:p:D:D
now got to cm11 folder and press Ctrl+H this will show the hidden folder .repo were sources will be downloaded.

WSkXUQr.png

Buqbjst.png

Now it might give a small error at the end stating for Email id.
So just create a github account here
Then Run following in Terminal
Code:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
git config --global user.name "Your Name"[/SIZE][/FONT]

replace
"you@example.com" with your github email Id
replace
"Your Name" with github Username

3) Now To control the files that should be downloaded while sync and for adding device tree we use local_manifest.xml. Reagrding this @Kishan14 will explain in detail with Tips and Tricks.

4) Now it is the time to download the sources. for that run the following Command

Code:
repo sync -j#

#
is number of jobs you want to give for your downloading source. I use 2 to 4.

hEbrLC4.png

dE5oydZ.png

Now it will download the Sources needed to build the Rom..Download will be huge 13GB to 14GB so be patient since it depends on your Internet Speed.

The Above was for CM11 same procedure for other provided you have to replace cm11 with one you want to sync/build like AOSP,AOKP,AICP etc and Repo Initialize command varies with the source you want to download.

Some Git Links :

CM11 : https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android
AOKP : https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest
Carbon Rom : https://github.com/CarbonDev/android
SlimRom : https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Building Rom For A Particular Device

Now has we have downloaded the sources we need for our Rom Build Lets Move to the Next Step which is Actually Major Step the Building The ROM

So Lets Start The Game...:laugh::D:D

Note : I will be taking Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos - GT -I9082 has Example here.
Example Rom : CM11

Now before starting with Building guide you have to Download your Device Identity That is has follows
1) Device Tree
2) Vendor
3) Kernel
The Above files are very Vital Parameters of building they specify your device and its Characteristics.

Now you might think from where you have to download those files?
:confused:
Don't be confused its simple Search in our device forum for CM Tree and Kernel and Vendor. The Dev of CM for your Device forum will specify it in his ROM thread.
Once you obtain the github for your Device Tree, Vendor and Kernel. Enter following command
Code:
cd cm11/.repo
Y6KmJsy.png

Here in .repo folder you have to create file called local_manifests.xml
1) Enter The Following Command in Terminal
Code:
nano local_manifest.xml
mOFUkXi.png

Structure of Local_manifest.xml is Has follows.
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#0000BB]<?xml version[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]=[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]"1.0" [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]encoding[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]=[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]"UTF-8"[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]?>
[/COLOR]<manifest>
  [/COLOR]<project path=" directory in work tree" name="name of the repository in remote" remote="name of remote defined earlier" revision="branch of the repository" /> 
[COLOR=#000000]</manifest>[/COLOR]
2) Add your Device , Kernel , Vendor Source
gHq689W.png

Taking my Ex here of GT-I9082
After Adding device tree , Vendor , kernel my Local_manifest.xml will look like has follows
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#0000BB]<?xml version[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]=[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]"1.0" [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]encoding[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]=[/COLOR][COLOR=#DD0000]"UTF-8"[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]?>
[/COLOR]<manifest>
  <project path="device/samsung/i9082" name="pawitp/android_device_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project path="vendor/samsung/i9082" name="k2wl/android_vendor_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="master" />
  <project path="kernel/samsung/i9082" name="pawitp/android_kernel_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0" />
</manifest>[/COLOR]
ABoaVKn.png

3) Press ctrl+O and Enter
DpbtNWp.png

ZNqRufc.png

4) Press Ctrl+X to exit.
Sx5Onvn.png

After Adding Device Tree,Vendor,Kernel sources just repo sync again so that the files are downloaded. you can also add which files you want to download or you dont want to download. More about manifest and local_manifest will be explained by @Kishan14 in his guide:D

Once that is done now you have your device Identity with you:laugh::laugh::highfive:
Now follow the Instruction Given by @rutvikrvr in POST 9 to make the your CM Device Tree Compatible with your ROM Source.

Once your CM Device tree is successfully made compatible with your ROM its Time for Building :D:cool:
Now Building Command Various with Rom which you want to compile its different for different ROM you have to see the Manifest of The Rom for it has instruction for building will be given there. Since i m Taking example of CM11 and Device has GT-I9082 the steps goes has follows
1) Enter the Following command in Terminal
Code:
cd cm11
Just Replace CM11 by your working directory of Rom . Ex : AOGP,AICP etc
2)Now enter following Command To Terminal
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]build[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]envsetup[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]sh[/COLOR][/COLOR]
3) Build Instruction Varies from Rom to Rom so check manifest of ROM for the Same. General instuction is
Code:
[COLOR=#262626]time brunch <codename>[/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]j[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF8000]#[/COLOR][/COLOR]
<Codename> CodeName of your Device
# is the No of CPU cores you have.
Building will take time depending on your system configuration.

Once building is Done.
Its Time to apply patches which will be given in our CM Rom thread if any.
Follow the guide by @rutvikrvr in Post 10 for applying patches.
Once Done rebuild again using command above (This time building will be fast)

Now go to your working directory and go to OUT/target/your device/ you will get the Zip of the Rom.
Always make a backup of your current Rom.
Flash it via recovery and check.:laugh::laugh:

:cool::cool:Hurrrrrray You Just Developed A Rom from Source:cowboy::cowboy:

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Uploading Device Tree To Github

So Guys till now we learnt lot of stuffs and finally we build a Rom :highfive: During building the Rom we may have edited lot of stuffs in device tree :D:D To avoid those being repeated in case you delete the Tree or If your ROM is Unofficial then you have to upload the Device Source Tree to Github. There are lot of uses if you upload the device tree.

Lets Start with guide Now :D:D

1) Create a account in Github.

2) Generate a new SSH key
Enter Following command to Terminal
Code:
ssh-keygen -t rsa -C "your_email@example.com"
"your_email@example.com" = your github Email ID

After pressing Enter you will Observe the following output
Code:
# Creates a new ssh key, using the provided email as a label
[LEFT]# Generating public/private rsa key pair.
# Enter file in which to save the key (/home/you/.ssh/id_rsa):
Press Enter.[/LEFT]

Now you need to enter the passphrase
Code:
# Enter passphrase (empty for no passphrase): [Type a passphrase] # Enter same passphrase again: [Type passphrase again]
Once all done you will see the following in your Terminal.

Code:
Your identification has been saved in /home/you/.ssh/id_rsa.
[LEFT]# Your public key has been saved in /home/you/.ssh/id_rsa.pub.
# The key fingerprint is:
# 01:0f:f4:3b:ca:85:d6:17:a1:7d:f0:68:9d:f0:a2:db your_email@example.com
Now go to ~/.ssh folder and copy your id_rsa.pub content into account administration on github.com.[/LEFT]
That is go to github account settings and SSH
copy paste id_rsa.pub content there and save it done.:D:cowboy:

Now Its Time To Check If Everything Works.:highfive:

• Enter The Following Command To Terminal
    Code:
    ssh -T git@github.com
  • It should display has follows
    Code:
    The authenticity of host 'github.com (207.97.227.239)' can't be established.
     # RSA key fingerprint is 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48.
     # Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
  • type yes and press enter
    Code:
    Hi username! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not
     # provide shell access.
Now All Done Its Time To Upload The Device Tree To Github :cowboy:

Example Device and Rom : GT-I9082 and AOGP Rom.
In the following steps i take my example device and Rom just replace the device with your device and Rom with your Rom:cool:

Steps :

• In Terminal
    Code:
    cd aogp/device/samsung/i9082
IYwxiGJ.png

MywR13m.png

• Then Type Following
    Code:
    git init
VX7TpL2.png

ovdAnqa.png

• Setting up of the git files required to push the files to the github account will be done by following command
    Code:
    git add .
QA1GZTL.png

• Now we need to comment on the files we are pushing to github hence enter following command
    Code:
     git commit -m "first commit"
m6TUgMc.png

• Now Go to your Github account click on add button on top next to your username and Select New repository
o9hykDa.png

• enter the Name of your repository in my case you can see the ScreenShot below
MJrg5oy.png

• now you can see some commands displayed enter the git link displayed in your repository created the terminal in my case
    Code:
    git remote add origin https://github.com/username/aogp_device_samsung_i9082.git
q7GtUIv.png

1mHEHlS.png

• Last Step is To Push The Source to Github. Enter The Following Command in Terminal
    Code:
    git push origin master
lxMlsq0.png

The Passphrase is the same you entered while creating SSH key.

06SbxM4.png

• Finally your source is in Github now add Readme.md File and mention This is <ROM NAME> Device Tree For <Your Device>

:D:cool:You Have Successfully Uploaded your Device Tree To Github :cowboy::cowboy:

Credits
@rutvikrvr
@Kishan14
@k2wl (My Mentor and Inspiration for Android)

If You want to learn more about Github and Stuffs you can visit Following Guide by XDA Senior Moderator @eagleeyetom (Thanks a lot Sir)

Guide Link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877040

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q)

Following
are some frequently asked Questions:cowboy::cowboy:

1) Can I Use Different Linux OS like Linux Mint , Arch linux , Ubuntu 14.04 etc ?
Yes. you are free to use any Linux System but remember some commands may not work in other Linux System or can result in error hence i cant give support to it. If it was successful to you in Other Linux OS kindly let me know:)

2) Where is the next part of the Guide?
This Thread Is Still Work In Progress (WIP) hence we are working on it and will be added once done:)

3) I got a error for Task X and solved it. Can i share here?
Yes you can share it with solution (If u have):)

4) I Got a Error Where Should I Post ?
You can copy paste the error from terminal to here using Tag or You can Pastebin it. Whichever you are Comfortable with :)

5) Can I Use 32Bit Linux for Android Development ?
No You need 64bit Linux System For Android Development:)

6) Can I use X Device Tree for Y Device (Cloned Etc) ?
No You Should use your Device Specific Tree not other Device Tree even if they are similar Device/Kernel/Vendor Tree are Specific For Each Devices. So if you dont have it then Either you make your own Tree or wait for developers to do that :)

7) Are Device Specific Sources Android Version Specific ??
Yes Device Specific Sources are Version Specific but modification in Source may be little or huge depending on Android Upgrade Feature/Security Enhancement etc etc ...:)

8) Getting Java Error While Compiling What to do ?
Its due to Wrong Java for Compiling you need right Version of Java Installed for
Kitkat : Java v1.6
Lollipop : Java v1.7

:)

Last edited:

jackeagle

Staff member
Apr 11, 2013
XDA
Remix OS
Elocity A7
Some Errors and Their Solution
Set-1 (Thanks @Nikhil)

1) gr_text

the line "note : previous declaration of 'gr_text' was here" says that minui.h has declaration of gr_text which is different from definition of gr_text function.
Solution : check minui.h, 36th line (as intimated in Screenshot) and compare declaration of gr_text with the definition of gr_text in file recovery/graphics.c in device tree. they should be same.

2) hardware ril

this generally happens when hardware/samsung is missing some files.

Solution : enter this in terminal

cd hardware && git clone https://github.com/SlimRoms/hardware_samsung.git -b kk4.4 && mv hardware_samsung samsung

you can use Rom specific github link, SlimRoms is an example.

3) hwc_blit

"'HWC_BLIT' was not declared in this scope". HWC_BLIT is a variable with value 4 and it is required to be declared

Solution : there is a file include/hardware/hwcomposer_defs.h in device tree, you can initialize HWC_BLIT as 4.

4) java version

From Froyo to Kitkat, version of java required is 1.6
From Android L, version of jave required will be 1.7

Screenshot has version 1.8 hence the error.

Solution : Install Java 1.6

//Install JDK6
//Download bin file from http://ghaffarian.net/downloads/Java/JDK/

//To remove existing java package
sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* icedtea-\* icedtea6-\*

//install java JDK6 (download and keep .bin file in root directory.)
sudo mkdir -p /opt/java/64/
sudo cp jdk-6u45-linux-x64.bin /opt/java/64
sudo su -
cd /opt/java/64
chmod +x jdk-6u45-linux-x64.bin
./jdk-6u45-linux-x64.bin
exit

//add JDK path to .bashrc
gksudo gedit ~/.bashrc

//add following lines to .bashrc
# Java PATHs
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/64/jdk1.6.0_45
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin

//install jre
sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless

Set-2 (Thanks@
JJsevol)
# Errors you might see when you run the build command.
# Error 1: build/envsetup.sh: line 1365: schedtool: command not found

SOLUTION: sudo apt-get install schedtool and rerun build command.

# Error 2: /bin/bash: prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.7/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc: cannot execute binary file
/bin/bash: prebuilts/gcc/linux-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.7/bin/arm-linux-androideabi-gcc: cannot execute binary file

SOLUTION: You're most likely not running a 64-bit linux version. To make sure, type uname -m

If you see i686, you have a 32-bit version. If you see x86_64, you have a 64-bit version. If you have 32-bit start over with a amd64 version http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.10/

# Error 3: If you see a 127 bison error

SOLUTION: sudo apt-get install bison build-essential curl flex git gnupg gperf libesd0-dev libncurses5-dev libsdl1.2-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libxml2 libxml2-utils lzop openjdk-6-jdk openjdk-6-jre phablet-tools pngcrush schedtool squashfs-tools xsltproc zip zlib1g-dev

In addition to the above, do

sudo apt-get install g++-multilib gcc-multilib lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline-gplv2-dev lib32z1-dev

Contributors To The Guide
@jackeagle
@Kishan14
@rutvikrvr
@k2wl
@
Trach

Credits :
@k2wl (Thanks A Lot)
XDA Developers

Last edited:

Kishan14

Nov 23, 2013
mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Repo and Manifests
Hello guys..:D:D
There are many upcoming developers and many dev on xda.Till now you all have learned how to setup build enviroment and packages required and build process. Now here I will be sharing few tips and tricks that will help some new developer for developing their ROMs and Kernels. Well, I am not pro in all these stuff even I am a newbie. I have came across many guides and my best friend Google.
These tips may save your Time, Internet Bandwidth, HDD space etc.. :p

Requirements:

Basic Knowledge of compiling ROM/kernel:)
Ok so here I Start::cowboy:

Repository (Repo)
What is Repo?:rolleyes:
Repo is a repository management tool that we built on top of Git. Repo unifies the many Git repositories when necessary, does the uploads to our revision control system, and automates parts of the Android development workflow. Repo is not meant to replace Git, only to make it easier to work with Git in the context of Android. The repo command is an executable Python script that you can put anywhere in your path. In working with the Android source files, you will use Repo for across-network operations. For example, with a single Repo command you can download files from multiple repositories into your local working directory
Was that a bit tough definition.. no worries ... here's Screenshots explaining roughly.
wAbmCMY.jpg

The image shown above is repositories (Platform_mainfest,C-Rom Device tree, android etc.)
In Simple words you can say 'repo is a folder that stores code'. In the above image, the two repo's are highlighted. the black highlighted repo is the one which one have written or contributed. The other (red) one shows that the repo is forked from someone else repo.

Repo Tool:
This tool plays a vey important role in downloading rom source.. So the word ‘Repo’ is common with you guys as u do ‘repo init’ ‘repo sync’ ..
Remember,From the above guide, while setting up you Linux you entered a command
Code:
mkdir ~/bin && curl [URL]http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo[/URL] > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
In simple language This Step was to download and install the Repo tool..

Why This Tool is used?:rolleyes:
The Repo Tool helps you to download the bunch of repositories by entering just a single command, which helps us to make our downloading part easier.:DTo download the source following command is used:
Code:
repo sync -j#
# - number of jobs you want to give for your downloading source.

Now A question may arise that What does Repo Tool actually do??:confused::D
Umm, Let me explain with an example, Let's take the above example. The repo tool takes all the reference for the code to be downloaded from a Manifest.xml. Suppose you wanna download cm source. So as mentioned above, you have to give 'repo init' command. after this command '.repo' folder is created. you ll find 'manifest.xml' file in '.repo' folder. Now when you open Manifest.xml file you'll find some path of files and folders. The command 'repo sync' downloads the folders and files that is mentioned in manifest.xml to the specific location mentioned.
Now, the '-j#' tag represents the number of jobs you allow your pc to download the source. For Normal internet speed it is recommended to use -j2 or -j4. For faster connection -j16 or -j32 is recommended.

The Manifest
The manifest.xml is a file which is written in xml markup and directs the repo tool to the repositories and their respective branches that need to be downloaded. This manifest is located under the head of the android source tree in the .repo/manifests/ directory. The manifest is formatted in XML markup and contains information regarding which git repositories to use, where they are located on the internet, where to put them in the source code directory, and what branches of the git repositories are used. Some of these repositories are pulled, unmodified from AOSP, but most come from CyanogenMod on GitHub. We can take repositories from different git servers, use different branches for each one of them, gather them into groups for easy management and more. Here’s an example for a manifest xml file:
Code:
<manifest>
  <remote  name="aosp"
           fetch="https://android.googlesource.com/"/>
  <remote  name="aogp"
           fetch="https://github.com/aogp/"/>

<default revision="master"
           remote="aosp"
           sync-j="4" />

<project path="art" name="platform/art" />
  <project path="bionic" name="platform/bionic" groups="pdk" />
  <project path="dalvik" name="platform_dalvik” remote=“aogp”/>
  <project path="frameworks/base" name="platform_frameworks_base" remote=“ aogp" revision=“statusbar_fixes"/>
  <project path="tools/adt/eclipse" name="platform/tools/adt/eclipse" groups="notdefault,tools" />
</manifest>

Let’s review its structure and see why it is used :laugh:
<remote>
The remote tag is describing the remote git servers we support pulling repositories from. In this case, we have a remote named aosp, linking to the Google’s AOSP git server, and another one named AOGP, linking to a Github account of the user “AOGP”.

<project>

Defines a single repository. These are the main attributes:
path – Where the repository will be checked out into, relative to the current working directory.
name – The name of the project on our git server
remote – The name of the remote server where the repository can be found.
revision – The branch/tag name we want to checkout.
group – The group name(s) for this project. We can declare a set of projects as members of a group, then sync only them. Omitting this attribute makes the project a member of the “default” group.

<default>

Now like the remote is specified , you can base you're manifest at a particular remote and define it as your default remote. it defines a default values for attributes we are using, when syncing the system. In this case, we set the default branch to checkout each project on its “master” branch and the default remote as “aosp”. If we omit those attributes when defining a project, the defaults defined here will be used. Other interesting attributes:

sync-j

The value for this will be the number of jobs to use when syncing the system. Parallelization helps get the job done quicker, but could also get the computer or the network stuck. Using 4 threads is what commonly used for syncing.

sync-c

syncing only the current branch/tag from git. This will checkout for each project only the current branch/tag that we specify for it, and not any other branches that exists on the repository. This will help save some space and bandwidth (and also time), but if you’ll need to switch between branches on a specific project later on – you’ll need to fetch it manually.

Local_Manifest :

If you wanted to change the manifest.xml list, you could edit default.xml directly. However, this would make your local copy of the manifest conflict with the official version on github. This could create issues when the official manifest is updated, as it would clash with your changes.
:eek:SO NEVER THINK OF EDITING DEFAULT.XML:silly:

Now The Question Arises how we can control the sync?:rolleyes:

This is where local manifests come into play.
Creating a local manifest allows you to customize the list of repositories used in your copy of the source code by overriding or supplementing the default manifest. In this way, you can add, remove, or replace source code in the official manifest with your own. By including repositories (which need not even reside on GitHub) in a local manifest, you can continue to synchronize with the repo sync command just as you would have previously. Only now, both the official repositories from the default manifest and the additional repositories you specify will be checked for updates.
Hence Local_manifest.xml is BOON to Developers:highfive::cool:

Uses of Local_manifest.xml:cowboy:

1) Adding and removing repositories

To add to the contents of the default manifest, create a file called local_manifests.xml under the .repo directory, this can also be created via terminal by using following steps:

A) open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type the following command and hit Enter.
Code:
 cd path_of_ur_folder/.repo
B) Type following command
Code:
nano local_manifest.xml
Now type the content you wanna add to local_manifest.xml. After completing press "ctrl+O" and then hit enter to save it. to exit nano editor press "ctrl+X"
Simple Isn't it?:laugh:

Let's start with an Example which we can use to describe the scenario:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<remote name="github" fetch="git://www.github.com/" />

<remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_fm" />

<project path="hardware/qcom/fm" name="aogp/hardware/qcom/fm" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0"/>

</manifest>
Meaning of Above Terms

1) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
It is a standard XML declaration, telling interpreters this is an Extensible Markup Language file. Once this is established, the <manifest> and </manifest> tags enclose some contents which the repo command will recognize.

2) <remote name="github" fetch="git://www.github.com/" />
First, a remote for git is declared and given the name "github". In git, a remote essentially refers to a place and method for accessing a git repository. In this case, www.github.com contains special up-to-date repositories for fm qcom hardware from "AOGP" platform. This is equivalent to the following git command:
git remote add github git://www.github.com/

3) <remove-project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_qcom_fm" />
This line removes a project (specifically, cyanogenmod/android_hardware_qcom_fm) declared in the default manifest. After running repo sync, it will no longer be available in the source tree.

4) <project path="hardware/qcom/fm" name="aogp/hardware/qcom/fm" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0"/>
This line defines a new project. In this case, it replaces the removed project android_hardware_qcom/fm with one from other, using the remote that was defined above.

When adding a new project that replaces an existing project, you should always remove that project before defining the replacement.
You can simply add a new project to the source code, such as when you want to add your own app to the build.

Note that when adding new projects, there are at least three parts defined:
• remote -- the name of the remote. this can be one that was defined in either the default manifest or local_manifest.xml.
• name -- the name of the git project-- for github it has the format account_name/project_name.
• path -- where the git repository should go in your local copy of the source code.
• revision -- (optional) which branch or tag to use in the repository. If this attribute is omitted, repo sync will use the revision specified by the <default ... /> tag in the default manifest.

After creating .repo/local_manifests.xml, you should be able to repo sync and the source code will be updated accordingly:D:D

This was all about Repo and Manifest:D
Now i'm gonna give you some tips that will help you a more better way in developing.!!!

TIPS AND TRICKS

Tip#1 Syncing a full new source tree in minutes!

Suppose you wanna compile multiple roms for device. For example, you may want to have an AOGP source tree as well as a CM tree.
Obvisouly, you could repeat the same steps, to repo init and then repo sync -j8 for both. But that would be twice as time consuming. isn't it?
No issues, there is a simple trick to download the source within few minutes(depending on your internet speed). Lets say that you have already initialized and synced a CM source tree, in ~/roms/cm11.
Now, we will prepare a new repo for AOGP tree, in ~/roms/aogp. Here comes the trick: We will use the --reference flag of repo init to indicate to repo that we already have a local repository that it can take information from, instead of downloading everything from Internet again:
So Lets say u wanna begin with AOGP, So here's the steps you got to follow :

Code:
mkdir  roms/aogp &&cd roms/aogp
Code:
repo init --reference=~/roms/cm11 -u git://github.com/AOGP/android.git -b cm-11.0
You should notice a big time difference, from hours for a full repo sync, down to minutes using this trick!

Did u understood what it exactly did?
NO!:p
here's simple words explaining about reference flags. In this tip (reference flag) the repo tool does it checks the locally downloaded source and skips downloading that it Symlinks the code from the existing source to the new source.

Tip#2 Using CCACHE a.k.a Compiler's Cache tool

CCACHE also known as a compiler cache tool, which caches the output of the compiler, to save time when compiling a file which has not been changed since the last compile. It is really a best companion of rom developers
To enable CCACHE,
use your favorite editor.. I ll be using nano editor
1) Open a terminal ( cntrl + alt + t ) and type
Code:
nano .bashrc
2) Add the following code :
Code:
export USE_CCACHE=1
After you log out and back in again, this change will take effect.
By default, the Android build process creates a subfolder named “out” within the root of your source tree. While for most users this is best, in some situations it can be advantageous to move the output directory to another file system. If, for example, you have a striped RAID array, it is beneficial to store the output directory on this array. All of the files within the out directory can be re-generated in the event of filesystem problems (if the sources were held on another filesystem).
To change the output directory to another filesystem, use the command
Code:
export OUT_DIR_COMMON_BASE= /<path_of_your_choice>/.ccache
Code:
prebuilts/misc/linux-x86/ccache/ccache -M 50G
The suggested cache size is 50-100G.

On OSX, you should replace linux-x86 with darwin-x86

The above defined output directory will created a new folder, named after your current source tree directory. For instance, if you have source trees as /source/tree1 and /source/tree2 and OUT_DIR_COMMON_BASE is set to /output, then output directories will be/output/tree1 and /output/tree2.
It is therefore important to ensure you do not have multiple sources stored in directories with the same name, as they would end up sharing an output directory, with unpredictable results.

Tip#3 Playing with local_manifest.xml

In many Manifest.xml you ll find many stuff not needed by our device. Also there are files needed and that is not present in the default.xml.

* Adding Projects to local_manifest.xml

So, to add projects to your local_manifest.xml for your device refer the following format that explains the same.
Code:
<manifest>

<project path=" directory in work tree" name="name of the repository in remote" remote="name of remote defined earlier" revision="branch of the repository" />

</manifest>
Still have some doubts?? the following example will clear it.. ;)
Suppose i wanna add device tree, kernel and vendor for my device which is needed in Building ROM Guide Above i ll follow the above format and will make a new one for my device.
Device Example Used Here : Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082
Code:
<manifest>
  <project path="device/samsung/i9082" name="pawitp/android_device_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0" />
  <project path="vendor/samsung/i9082" name="k2wl/android_vendor_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="master" />
  <project path="kernel/samsung/i9082" name="pawitp/android_kernel_samsung_i9082" remote="github" revision="cm-11.0" />
</manifest>
This will download your device Identity needed for Rom Building:cowboy::cowboy:

* Remove Unwanted Stuff From default.xml

As I mentioned above the command for removing project, you can use that command to remove the unwanted stuff from default.xml
As majority of the people here are using Linux. As dawin tool chains are used by MAC OS, So darwin tool chains and darwin packages are useless for linux users. You can remove the same by using remove project command.
For Example :

Code:
<project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-eabi-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,arm" />
<project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/arm/arm-linux-androideabi-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,arm" />
<project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/mips/mipsel-linux-android-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/mips/mipsel-linux-android-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,mips" />
<project path="prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/x86/i686-linux-android-4.6" name="platform/prebuilts/gcc/darwin-x86/x86/i686-linux-android-4.6" groups="pdk,darwin,x86" />

SLxmL6P.png

Before Removing Darwin Lines see below
L6cOkti.png

After Removing Darwin Lines
DfTCgsV.png

From above you can notice earlier there were 462 projects to be downloaded but after removing darwin lines its slimmed to 444 projects.
Less projects to download sync completes faster:D:D

*Remove all the official device not required by you for compiling.

There will be many devices that are officially supported by ROM developers and there Tree will be added to Default.xml which are useless for your device.
The device may be in the following format
Code:
android_device_companyname_codename
For Example :

Code:
android_device_samsung_codename
*Similarly Remove all the kernel source not required by you as it will take more time and your precious bandwidth.
* Remove all unnecessary vendor trees from the manifest.. Why do you need the blobs for a device you are not building for !!
:cowboy::D
Hope these tips helps you a lot...!!! :D:D
Any doubts.. post on this thread.. !!:)

credits:; @Jacleagle for editing and screenshots.. :D

Last edited:

RVR

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 29, 2012
Mumbai
rutvikrajagopal.in
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Making CM Device Tree Compatible With Your Rom For Compiling

Now has we know that how to download sources the next step is to compile the source for your mobile. But Some modification are needed to compile.

There are many devices with just CM.... but the cm device tree has to be modified to compile with other roms .. .

This guide will tell u specific to slimroms and will give u an idea in general ... i will be taking Galaxy Grand Duos as an example

IF YOU ARE BUILDING FOR ANOTHER DEVICE , SIMPLY RENAME i9082 to the name of your device AND SLIM TO WHICHEVER ROM YOU ARE BUILDING .

Ok Now lets start with it.

There are mainly 3 files in CM Tree Which Should Be Modified They are,

1) cm.mk

2) cm.dependencies

3) AndroidProducts.mk

The Image below shows the general device tree .... the 3 files marked in red are the files that have to be edited .

JrYWMWc.png

1) Rename cm.mk to slim.mk

The Image Below Shows The Differences Between The CM.MK AND SLIM.MK

dRsFEiJ.png

As You can see That WE HAVE JUST REPLACED CM WITH SLIM AND ADDED THE BOOTANIMATION PATH ( THE BOOTANIMATION PATH IS NOT ReQUIRED IN ALL ROMS... ONLY SLIMROMS,VANIRAOSP,LIQUIDSMOOTH AND SOKP REQUIRE THIS)

The Boot Animation Values Have To Be Changed As Per YOUR DEVICE RESOLUTION

FOR EXAMPLE IF UR SCREEN IS HD (XHDPI) THEN IT SHOULD BE AS FOLLOWS

Code:
# Bootanimation

TARGET_SCREEN_HEIGHT := 1280

TARGET_SCREEN_WIDTH := 720

PRODUCT_COPY_FILES += \

vendor/slim/prebuilt/common/bootanimation/720.zip:system/media/bootanimation.zip
Now you all must be thinking why did we rename cm.mk to slim.mk.:rolleyes::confused:

A Simple Answer is we go to the vendor folder and check the name and replace it. ( SOME ROM's MIGHT GIVE AN ERROR)

vPCkeWp.png

...for example in vaniraosp if you rename cm.mk to vanir.mk

A78r30r.png

IN SUCH A CASE SIMPLY RENAME THE "cm.mk" to "vanir_i9082.mk" and your problem is sorted :D Simple isn't it:cool:

So now you must be wondering about the product name ...as in the above image only the "cm" changes to "slim" with the same logic of the vendor name

In this case we see that slim is the vendor ...so we rename the cm.mk to slim.mk

this same rule applies to the content inside the slim.mk too ... we first make sure that the files are available in that location .

Omkh0B2.png

As you can see the image above the files exist in the vendor/slim/config.. so that means we are moving on the right track

NOTHING ELSE NEEDS TO BE TOUCHED IN THIS FILE :D SO NOW 33.33% OF OUR DEVICE TREE IS READY FOR COMPILING WITH THE SLIMROM SOURCE :p:laugh:

2) Now we have to move second file "cm.dependencies"

This file will be simply renamed by Vendor Name ...

In This Case "slim" ....so we rename it to "slim.dependencies"

SO NOW 66.66% COMPLETED :p:D

3) The Last And The Final Change Required Is In The "AndroidProducts.mk"

In This File you Simply Rename The " device_i9082.mk" to whatever you renamed the "cm.mk" to . in this case it is "slim.mk" so "device_i9082.mk" will be renamed to "slim.mk" check the image below to understand better

ywCpCYX.png

Hurrrray :D:DNOW OUR DEVICE TREE IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH THE SLIMROM SOURCE.

ALL THE BEST!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh:

CREDITS

A BIG THANX TO @k2wl and @xenon92 ...THE ONLY REASON I STARTED DEVELOPMENT :p:highfive:

Last edited:

RVR

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 29, 2012
Mumbai
rutvikrajagopal.in
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
How to apply patches to the source ?

There are many devices that need patches for the core functions to work . So in this guide i will be talking about applying patches from github and the Gerrit Code Review HERE AGAIN I WILL BE TAKING I9082 AS AN EXAMPLE
I) APPLYING PATCHES FROM THE GERRIT CODE REVIEW .
NOTE: IF THE ROM YOU ARE COMPILING IS BASED ON CYANOGENMOD AND THE COMMIT IS MERGED ... THEN THE PATCH DOESNT HAVE TO BE APPLIED

this is how a gerrit code review typically looks . To apply a patch from here ...

STEP 1: You first have to click on patch and then copy the link
QOFPSIa.png

STEP 2:In your terminal navigate to the place it has to be applied (in this case the path is "frameworks/native")
ENnflxl.png

as you can see the command boxed in blue .. it should look somewhat similar
I2kRqEC.png

after the patch is applied it asks for an input to continue ... in such a case simply press "q"

CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE APPLIED THE PATCH FROM THE GERRIT CODE REVIEW!!!

NOW WE MOVE ON TO APPLYING PATCHES DOWNLOADED FROM GITHUB GISTS
(GENERALLY THE FORMAT IS ".diff" or ".patch")

STEPS TO BE FOLLOWED
STEP1: DOWNLOAD THE GIST

You can simply download the gist as shown in the image below
FshLFP4.png

THIS IS HOW A PATCH TYPICALLY LOOKS
vaFOWux.png

these patches are used generally for unofficial cm ports or official devices of cm for other roms not based on CM
Generally the CM devs write which location has to be patched .... otherwise simply use the search bar To apply the patch above we first have to enter the hardware/broadcom/libbt folder

STEP 2: We then copy, the file that we downloaded earlier, to the folder that has to be patched in this case hardware/broadcom/libbt

STEP 3: APPLYING THE PATCH

Code:
 cd nameoftheromfolder/hardware/broadcom/libbt
 git checkout . 
patch -p1 < nameofthefile.diff or nameofthefile.patch

It should look something like this

5W0ZC98.png

ITS AS SIMPLE AS THIS ..... ALL THE BEST !!! HOPE THIS GUIDE HELPS ... IF YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES OR QUESTIONS PLEASE POST IT HERE ...SO I CAN HELP :-d

THANX TO CYANOGENMOD , PAWITP ,K2WL AND XENON92

Last edited:

Trach

Jul 7, 2014
Git Knowledge

Before i start,i would like to express my gratitude to GitSCM,Github and others who have provided a learning platform for everyone to use Git and learn Git :)

If any information was stated wrongly here,please correct me and I am open to suggestions and criticism :p

First of all,let's start off with the basics

git init
- The git init command is used to create a new git repository in your folder.It can be used to convert an existing, unversioned project to a Git repository or initialize a new empty repository.When the command git init is being executed,in the folder itself,it will create a .git subdirectory and in order to view the sub directory,you need to hold CTRL+H to view it.In the .git subdirectory itself contains the metadata for the repo.

git clone
- The git clone command is used to copy an existing Git repository into your folder.The cloned repository will contain all its own history and manages its own files,and its a totally isolated environment from the original repository.Important note: This is where we should always remember to keep authorship when you clone something and upload to your own github.Always remember to keep the history commits when you upload.The tutorial is here(With courtesy to @Mazda)

git add
- The git add adds a change in the working directory to the staging area.Normally once it is added,it doesnt really get recorded yet until you execute the command git commit.Therefore,if you need to manage your files,execute git status to view the file changes.The various commands are

Stages the changes that was made in the file
Code:
git add <file>

Stages the changes that was made in a folder/directory
Code:
git add <directory/folder>

git commit
- The git commit command stages the snapshot to the project.This command is used after the command git add is executed and the git commit command will do the job in recording the changes you have made and sending it to the project history which will then be uploaded into Github or BitBucket.Some commands that normally developers use

The -m stands for message in full term --message
Code:
git commit -m "Hello"

The -a command is used to tell Git to stage all file changes,be it modified or deleted.Everything is added
Code:
git commit -a

The --reset-author command is used to change back to its original committer if the commits authorship have been changed
Code:
git commit --reset-author

More is coming soon! :)

Last edited:

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
nice

well this is the most complete guide that a first time user for ROM development should know. :good:..nice effort

Reactions: jackeagle

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Everyone....:D:D

Today I will present you all the ultimate guide for ROM development starting from Source to End.
    This guide will be applicable to all devices.
    So lets Start :D

What is Android? :rolleyes:

Android is an open-source operating system developed by Google for smartphones, tablets, and other devices. It provides a user-friendly interface and supports a vast ecosystem of applications through the Google Play Store. With its Linux-based foundation, Android enables multitasking and offers extensive customization options for both manufacturers and users. Its integration with Google services enhances functionality and connectivity, making Android a popular choice for mobile devices worldwide.
    Full Freedom for people using it :D

What is Android Source Code?

Android is an open-source software stack developed for a diverse range of devices with varying form factors. The primary objective of Android is to provide an open software platform that is accessible to carriers, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), and developers, enabling them to bring their innovative ideas to life. The goal is to create a successful, real-world product that enhances the mobile experience for users. One of the notable features of Android is that it offers a complete, production-quality consumer product with source code that is openly available for customization and porting.
    Android allows for extensive customization and enables developers to create new functionalities and experiences without significant restrictions. This openness fosters creativity and empowers developers to tailor Android to suit their specific needs. It also encourages collaboration within the Android community, where developers can share their enhancements, contribute to the platform's evolution, and address any issues or bugs.
    So basically Android Allows to customize the things you like and make new things without any Restrictions. Cool isn’t it? :cool:

What is Android ROM ?

An Android ROM refers to a customized version of the Android operating system that is installed on a device. ROM stands for "Read-Only Memory," which originally referred to firmware stored in a device's memory. However, in the context of Android, a ROM typically refers to the software package that includes the operating system, user interface, and other components specific to a particular device or a modified version of Android.

While it is true that an Android ROM includes the user interface (UI) and the file system for maintaining contacts and other data, it is not limited to those aspects. The Android ROM is built upon a Linux kernel, which serves as the foundation for the operating system. Additionally, the ROM includes various system-level components, libraries, and apps that provide specific functionalities and features.

ROMs can be developed by device manufacturers (such as HTC, Samsung, or LG) to provide a customized user experience on their devices. They often come with a unique user interface overlay, such as HTC's Sense UI or Samsung's One UI, which can offer additional features and visual enhancements.

Moreover, ROMs can also be developed by third-party developers or communities, known as custom ROMs. Custom ROMs are modified versions of Android created by independent developers or enthusiast communities. These ROMs are typically designed to offer additional features, customization options, improved performance, or compatibility with older devices that may no longer receive official updates.

What does a Android Rom Contain ?
    Basically a Android Rom Contains following main things:

1. Kernel: The kernel is the core of the operating system that manages system resources and facilitates communication between hardware and software.
    2. Bootloader: The bootloader is responsible for initializing the device's hardware and loading the operating system into memory during the boot process.
    3. Recovery: The recovery is a separate bootable partition on the device that allows for system maintenance, installation of updates, and performing backups or restores.
    4. Radio: The radio refers to the software responsible for managing the device's wireless communication, including cellular connectivity.
    5. Framework: The framework consists of a set of libraries and APIs that provide the foundation for application development and interaction with the device's hardware and services.
    6. Apps: Android ROMs typically include pre-installed applications, such as system apps (e.g., dialer, messaging) and other core apps (e.g., calendar, browser), which may vary depending on the ROM.
    7. Core: The core components of the Android operating system, including system services, libraries, and essential system processes.
    8. Android Runtime: The Android Runtime (ART) is the runtime environment responsible for executing Android applications. It converts apps from bytecode into machine code for efficient execution.

Some Basics About Above Terms

Kernel

• The Android kernel is a key component of the Android operating system, serving as the core of the software.
    • It is based on the Linux kernel but includes modifications and additions specific to the Android platform.
    • The kernel provides essential functionalities, such as hardware abstraction, process management, and memory management.
    • It controls the device's hardware resources, including the CPU, memory, storage, and input/output devices.
    • The kernel manages drivers that enable communication between the operating system and hardware components.
    • It facilitates power management, optimizing resource usage to maximize battery life.
    • The kernel handles security mechanisms, such as process isolation and permissions, to protect against unauthorized access.
    • It enables multitasking by scheduling and prioritizing tasks, allowing multiple applications to run simultaneously.
    • The kernel supports various file systems, networking protocols, and device drivers to ensure compatibility with different hardware configurations.
    • Kernel updates are released periodically to improve performance, fix bugs, and address security vulnerabilities.

Bootloader
    • The Android bootloader is a critical component that starts the boot process on an Android device.
    • It verifies the integrity and authenticity of the software before loading it.
    • The bootloader is responsible for loading the operating system kernel.
    • It initializes essential hardware components, such as the CPU, memory, and display.
    • The bootloader acts as a security checkpoint, preventing unauthorized modifications to the device's software.
    • It ensures the device boots into a trusted and secure state, protecting against malware and unauthorized access.
    • The bootloader provides a means to unlock the device for advanced customization and firmware modifications.
    • Bootloader unlocking allows for installing custom ROMs, kernels, and recovery images.
    • Some devices have locked bootloaders by default to maintain system integrity and prevent unauthorized modifications.

Recovery
    • Android Recovery is a built-in feature that provides a separate environment for system maintenance and troubleshooting.
    • It is accessed by booting into recovery mode, usually through a combination of hardware buttons during device startup.
    • The recovery mode allows users to perform various tasks, such as applying software updates and factory resetting the device.
    • It provides a limited but essential set of functions to recover or repair a malfunctioning Android system.
    • In recovery mode, users can clear cache partitions to resolve performance issues caused by cached data.
    • It enables users to flash custom ROMs, official firmware updates, and other system modifications.
    • Recovery mode allows for making and restoring system backups, protecting user data and settings.
    • It provides a command-line interface (ADB) for advanced troubleshooting and system-level operations.
    • Recovery mode is separate from the main Android system, ensuring stability even if the main OS encounters problems.

These are main parts of Android Operating System.

Now that we know what Android is and what it contains, let's move on to the next major step, which is Android ROM development from source. However, before starting this process, we need to set up some initial setup and development environment.

Android Rom Development

Setting Up Linux Enviroment

Pre – Requirements for Android Rom Development

1) Linux Operating System (I will use Ubuntu 13.10 as an example and recommend it to all)
    2) Java Development Kit (JDK)
    3) Various Tools

Once you have downloaded Ubuntu 13.10, you can install it in two ways:
    1) Installing it as the primary operating system
    2) Installing it inside Windows using a virtual machine (VM) or virtualization software like VirtualBox (free) or VM Workstation/Player (paid)
    3) Dual-booting Linux alongside Windows by creating separate partitions

In this guide, I will explain how to install Linux inside Windows using VirtualBox as an example.

How to Install Ubuntu in VirtualBox

1. Download and install Oracle VM VirtualBox on your computer.
    2. Download the Ubuntu ISO file from the official Ubuntu website or the specific version you want to install.
    3. Open VirtualBox and click on New to create a new virtual machine.

M3QKn8t.png

4. Enter a name for your virtual machine, select Linux as the type, and choose the version that matches your Ubuntu ISO.

qw7keQx.png

b6ACrTD.png

5. Set the desired amount of RAM for the virtual machine. It's recommended to allocate at least 2GB or more.

FRx9MXi.png

6. Create a virtual hard drive by selecting Create a virtual hard disk now. Choose the VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) option and click Next.

jLe0HkX.png

- Select Dynamically allocated and leave the Split into files option unchecked.

EtrNQrT.png

- Specify the amount of HDD space you want to allocate and choose the location for the virtual hard drive (VMDK).

YJci8mw.png

Q183qwt.png

7. Go to Settings -> System -> Processor and set the desired number of cores for the Guest OS. In this example, we allocate 2 cores.

RIODIn7.png

8. Now, go to Settings -> System -> Acceleration and make sure both options are selected.

KAbCX0n.png

9. Next, go to Settings -> Storage -> Controller: IDE and click on the small CD with the plus icon.

d9Yddtw.png

- Navigate to the location where you saved the Ubuntu ISO file and select it.
    - Click OK to save the changes.

5thCPCd.png

S4bxR0b.png

10. You can now start the virtual machine by clicking Start.

11. The Ubuntu installation process will begin, and you can follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

12. Once the installation is finished, you'll have Ubuntu running in VirtualBox.

AFgMcaI.png

85WlRAQ.png

7gaHrqW.png

VkZavut.png

ufrVr8I.png

ynfGFTB.png

msCeMV7.png

That's it! You have successfully installed Ubuntu in VirtualBox.

Hurrrray your Linux System is Ready!
    Setting Up Build Enviroment For Compiling ROM's

Installation of Necessary Tools and packages for ROM Development

1)Installing Java Development Kit (JDK)

For Kitkat

Installation of Java V6

Open The Terminal and Paste following Command

a) This will Remove the wrong Java JDK from Ubuntu 13.10
    Code:
    [COLOR=#000000]sudo apt-get purge openjdk-\* icedtea-\* icedtea6[COLOR=#007700][COLOR=black]-\*[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

b) Enter the Following Command and This will Install JDK

Code:
    wget https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java/+files/oracle-java6-installer_6u45-0%7Ewebupd8%7E8_all.deb sudo dpkg -i oracle-java6-installer_6u45-0~webupd8~8_all.deb wget https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/ubuntu/java/+files/oracle-java6-set-default_6u45-0%7Ewebupd8%7E8_all.deb sudo dpkg -i oracle-java6-set-default_6u45-0~webupd8~8_all.deb

c) Check The Java Version Installed
    Code:
    [COLOR=#000000]java -[COLOR=#0000BB][COLOR=black]version [/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]

For Lollipop Required Java Version is 7

To Install Java V7

Code:
     sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk

:DJava Installation Completes:D

2)
    Installation Of Required Tools
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg ccache lzop flex bison gperf build-essential zip curl zlib1g-dev zlib1g-dev:i386 libc6-dev lib32ncurses5 lib32z1 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32ncurses5-dev x11proto-core-dev libx11-dev:i386 libreadline6-dev:i386 lib32z-dev libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libgl1-mesa-dev g++-multilib mingw32 tofrodos python-markdown libxml2-utils xsltproc readline-common libreadline6-dev libreadline6 lib32readline-gplv2-dev libncurses5-dev lib32readline5 lib32readline6 libreadline-dev libreadline6-dev:i386 libreadline6:i386 bzip2 libbz2-dev libbz2-1.0 libghc-bzlib-dev lib32bz2-dev libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev squashfs-tools pngcrush schedtool libwxgtk2.8-dev python
    Note : If you get error like broken dependencies then use the following command and then use above command.:D

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    After Installation Completes Enter The Following Command
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so
    So The Above Are The Packages

Now comes the binary called Repo.

What Is Repo?:rolleyes:

Repo is a repository management tool that we built on top of Git. Repo unifies the many Git repositories when necessary, does the uploads to our revision control system and automates parts of the Android development workflow.

Code:
    mkdir ~/bin && curl http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/git-repo-downloads/repo > ~/bin/repo && chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
    Using Text Editor Open ~/.bashrc for that use following command
    Code:
    sudo nano ~/.bashrc
    At The Very Bottom Line Add following Line
    Code:
    export PATH=~/bin:$PATH
    Save it. Here To save Press Ctrl+O and Enter and Ctrl+X to exit:)
    Now Enter Following Command
    Code:
    source ~/.bashrc

:cool::cool:Now Your System Is Ready For ROM Building:D:D
    Downloading Sources

To build a Rom from Source first we need to download the sources from git.
    Note : Sources will be very huge approx 13GB to 14GB hence lot of patience is required since it will take some time depending on your Internet connection speed.

So lets start..

Here i will take the example of cm11.
    The steps goes has follows

1) Create a directory were your sources will be downloaded. Enter the following command to terminal to create a directory

Code:
    mkdir cm11
    Now in your Home directory you will see folder called cm11.

1zEeVvZ.png

2) The next step is you have to Initiate the repo. meaning of the repo is given above. It will communicate with the git and download the source were it is stored.
    Enter The Following Command to Terminal
    Code:
    cd cm11
    This will take you to the directory you created in Step 1.

8zCZANO.png

Now Enter The Following Command Which Will Initiate The Repo :laugh:
    Code:
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b cm-11.0[/SIZE][/FONT]

AH3P62H.png

MesK53W.png

Since i m taking example of cm11 above repo initiate command is used you can find this here for CM11
    Note : All the details for Repo Initiate and Building will be given in respective Source Github. Various Github source links will be given in discription and the end.

This will initialize your local repository using the CyanogenMod trees.:p:D:D
    now got to cm11 folder and press Ctrl+H this will show the hidden folder .repo were sources will be downloaded.

WSkXUQr.png

Buqbjst.png

Now it might give a small error at the end stating for Email id.
    So just create a github account here
    Then Run following in Terminal
    Code:
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]git config --global user.email "you@example.com"
    git config --global user.name "Your Name"[/SIZE][/FONT]

replace
    "you@example.com" with your github email Id
    replace
    "Your Name" with github Username

3) Now To control the files that should be downloaded while sync and for adding device tree we use local_manifest.xml. Reagrding this @Kishan14 will explain in detail with Tips and Tricks.

4) Now it is the time to download the sources. for that run the following Command

Code:
    repo sync -j#

#
    is number of jobs you want to give for your downloading source. I use 2 to 4.

hEbrLC4.png

dE5oydZ.png

Now it will download the Sources needed to build the Rom..Download will be huge 13GB to 14GB so be patient since it depends on your Internet Speed.

The Above was for CM11 same procedure for other provided you have to replace cm11 with one you want to sync/build like AOSP,AOKP,AICP etc and Repo Initialize command varies with the source you want to download.

Some Git Links :

CM11 : https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android
    AOKP : https://github.com/AOKP/platform_manifest
    Carbon Rom : https://github.com/CarbonDev/android
    SlimRom : https://github.com/SlimRoms/platform_manifest

Now has we have downloaded the sources we need for our Rom Build Lets Move to the Next Step which is Actually Major Step the Building The ROM

So Lets Start The Game...:laugh::D:D

Note : I will be taking Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos - GT -I9082 has Example here.
    Example Rom : CM11

Now before starting with Building guide you have to Download your Device Identity That is has follows
    1) Device Tree
    2) Vendor
    3) Kernel
    The Above files are very Vital Parameters of building they specify your device and its Characteristics.

Now you might think from where you have to download those files?
    :confused:
    Don't be confused its simple Search in our device forum for CM Tree and Kernel and Vendor. The Dev of CM for your Device forum will specify it in his ROM thread.
    Once you obtain the github for your Device Tree, Vendor and Kernel. Enter following command
    Code:
    cd cm11/.repo
    Y6KmJsy.png

Here in .repo folder you have to create file called local_manifests.xml
    1) Enter The Following Command in Terminal
    Code:
    nano local_manifest.xml
    mOFUkXi.png

Structure of Local_manifest.xml is Has follows.
    Code:
    [/COLOR]<manifest>
      [/COLOR]<project path=" directory in work tree" name="name of the repository in remote" remote="name of remote defined earlier" revision="branch of the repository" /> 
    [COLOR=#000000]</manifest>[/COLOR]
    2) Add your Device , Kernel , Vendor Source
    gHq689W.png

Taking my Ex here of GT-I9082
    After Adding device tree , Vendor , kernel my Local_manifest.xml will look like has follows
    Code:
    [/COLOR]<manifest>
    </manifest>[/COLOR]
    ABoaVKn.png

3) Press ctrl+O and Enter
    DpbtNWp.png

ZNqRufc.png

4) Press Ctrl+X to exit.
    Sx5Onvn.png

After Adding Device Tree,Vendor,Kernel sources just repo sync again so that the files are downloaded. you can also add which files you want to download or you dont want to download. More about manifest and local_manifest will be explained by @Kishan14 in his guide:D

Once that is done now you have your device Identity with you:laugh::laugh::highfive:
    Now follow the Instruction Given by @rutvikrvr in POST 9 to make the your CM Device Tree Compatible with your ROM Source.

Once your CM Device tree is successfully made compatible with your ROM its Time for Building :D:cool:
    Now Building Command Various with Rom which you want to compile its different for different ROM you have to see the Manifest of The Rom for it has instruction for building will be given there. Since i m Taking example of CM11 and Device has GT-I9082 the steps goes has follows
    1) Enter the Following command in Terminal
    Code:
    cd cm11
    Just Replace CM11 by your working directory of Rom . Ex : AOGP,AICP etc
    2)Now enter following Command To Terminal
    Code:
    [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]. [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]build[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700]/[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]envsetup[/COLOR][COLOR=#007700].[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]sh[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    3) Build Instruction Varies from Rom to Rom so check manifest of ROM for the Same. General instuction is
    Code:
    [COLOR=#262626]time brunch <codename>[/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000][COLOR=#007700]-[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000BB]j[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF8000]#[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    <Codename> CodeName of your Device
    # is the No of CPU cores you have.
    Building will take time depending on your system configuration.

Once building is Done.
    Its Time to apply patches which will be given in our CM Rom thread if any.
    Follow the guide by @rutvikrvr in Post 10 for applying patches.
    Once Done rebuild again using command above (This time building will be fast)

Now go to your working directory and go to OUT/target/your device/ you will get the Zip of the Rom.
    Always make a backup of your current Rom.
    Flash it via recovery and check.:laugh::laugh:

:cool::cool:Hurrrrrray You Just Developed A Rom from Source:cowboy::cowboy:
    Uploading Device Tree To Github

So Guys till now we learnt lot of stuffs and finally we build a Rom :highfive: During building the Rom we may have edited lot of stuffs in device tree :D:D To avoid those being repeated in case you delete the Tree or If your ROM is Unofficial then you have to upload the Device Source Tree to Github. There are lot of uses if you upload the device tree.

Lets Start with guide Now :D:D

1) Create a account in Github.

2) Generate a new SSH key
    Enter Following command to Terminal
    Code:
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -C "your_email@example.com"
    "your_email@example.com" = your github Email ID

After pressing Enter you will Observe the following output
    Code:
    # Creates a new ssh key, using the provided email as a label
    [LEFT]# Generating public/private rsa key pair.
    # Enter file in which to save the key (/home/you/.ssh/id_rsa):
    Press Enter.[/LEFT]

Now you need to enter the passphrase
    Code:
    # Enter passphrase (empty for no passphrase): [Type a passphrase] # Enter same passphrase again: [Type passphrase again]
    Once all done you will see the following in your Terminal.

Code:
    Your identification has been saved in /home/you/.ssh/id_rsa.
    [LEFT]# Your public key has been saved in /home/you/.ssh/id_rsa.pub.
    # The key fingerprint is:
    # 01:0f:f4:3b:ca:85:d6:17:a1:7d:f0:68:9d:f0:a2:db your_email@example.com
    Now go to ~/.ssh folder and copy your id_rsa.pub content into account administration on github.com.[/LEFT]
    That is go to github account settings and SSH
    copy paste id_rsa.pub content there and save it done.:D:cowboy:

Now Its Time To Check If Everything Works.:highfive:

• Enter The Following Command To Terminal
      Code:
      ssh -T git@github.com
    • It should display has follows
      Code:
      The authenticity of host 'github.com (207.97.227.239)' can't be established.
       # RSA key fingerprint is 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48.
       # Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
    • type yes and press enter
      Code:
      Hi username! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not
       # provide shell access.
    Now All Done Its Time To Upload The Device Tree To Github :cowboy:

Example Device and Rom : GT-I9082 and AOGP Rom.
    In the following steps i take my example device and Rom just replace the device with your device and Rom with your Rom:cool:

Steps :

• In Terminal
      Code:
      cd aogp/device/samsung/i9082
    IYwxiGJ.png

MywR13m.png

• Then Type Following
      Code:
      git init
    VX7TpL2.png

ovdAnqa.png

• Setting up of the git files required to push the files to the github account will be done by following command
      Code:
      git add .
    QA1GZTL.png

• Now we need to comment on the files we are pushing to github hence enter following command
      Code:
       git commit -m "first commit"
    m6TUgMc.png

• Now Go to your Github account click on add button on top next to your username and Select New repository
    o9hykDa.png

• enter the Name of your repository in my case you can see the ScreenShot below
    MJrg5oy.png

• now you can see some commands displayed enter the git link displayed in your repository created the terminal in my case
      Code:
      git remote add origin https://github.com/username/aogp_device_samsung_i9082.git
    q7GtUIv.png

1mHEHlS.png

• Last Step is To Push The Source to Github. Enter The Following Command in Terminal
      Code:
      git push origin master
    lxMlsq0.png

The Passphrase is the same you entered while creating SSH key.

06SbxM4.png

• Finally your source is in Github now add Readme.md File and mention This is <ROM NAME> Device Tree For <Your Device>

:D:cool:You Have Successfully Uploaded your Device Tree To Github :cowboy::cowboy:

Credits
    @rutvikrvr
    @Kishan14
    @k2wl (My Mentor and Inspiration for Android)

If You want to learn more about Github and Stuffs you can visit Following Guide by XDA Senior Moderator @eagleeyetom (Thanks a lot Sir)

Guide Link : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1877040