[NOOB FRIENDLY] Sprint Galaxy S4 Questions Thread - ALL Are Welcome!

Search This thread

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
Got it done. Came apart easier than I thought. Did break the ribbon cable to digitizer. Anyone know if it can be replaced without changing lcd digitizer

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Unfortunately I cannot help on this, hope some one will. So I don't know, Is that a thumbs up or thumbs down ? or in the middle?

exeleon

Jan 6, 2013
New York
Hey all! I've rooted dozens of phones and have never needed to unroot any of them up until today. My mother dropped her phone and her screen is cracked so she needs to bring it in to Sprint for her replacement. Heres what she has...
-Sprint GS4 sph-l720
-Sacs KK ROM V3
-NAE baseband only (She never took the MJA OTA update so, as far as I know, knox is not present.)
-MF9 bootloader

Can anyone advise on how to go about this?

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
Hey all! I've rooted dozens of phones and have never needed to unroot any of them up until today. My mother dropped her phone and her screen is cracked so she needs to bring it in to Sprint for her replacement. Heres what she has...
-Sprint GS4 sph-l720
-Sacs KK ROM V3
-NAE baseband only (She never took the MJA OTA update so, as far as I know, knox is not present.)

Can anyone advise on how to go about this?

If she is going in to replace it, why worry about unrooting it? I've taken rooted phone in to be worked on, never had any problems. If you are worried about it, just do a factory reset ?;)

Last edited:
Reactions: exeleon

exeleon

Jan 6, 2013
New York
If she is going in to replace it, why worry about unrooting it? I've taken rooted phone in to be worked on, never had any problems. If you are worried about it, just do a factory reset ?;)

I tried explaining this to her as I have read how reasonable Sprint's policy is on rooted devices (plus the fact that the replacement has nothing to do with the phone being modified). I plan on continuing to urge her not to, but if need be I wanted to know how to go about it.

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
I tried explaining this to her as I have read how reasonable Sprint's policy is on rooted devices (plus the fact that the replacement has nothing to do with the phone being modified). I plan on continuing to urge her not to, but if need be I wanted to know how to go about it.

To do the factory reset, go into recovery and do the factory reset, that should be the easiest way. If you have SuperSU by Chainfire, go into it and it has unroot, don't forget to uninstall the apps that have to do with root [emoji14]
Don't forget mom's (and dads) know best, lol [emoji6]

Last edited:

Linkedblade

May 6, 2012
Vineland
So, I've been running various night lies from cm11 jflte, and of course I have an L720. However, somewhere along the way I got this lovely "roaming indicator off." I could care less, but with this came the lack of LTE and ability to send MMS. I've tried flashing certain zips to fix it and no result. I've tried changing APNs same result. I've tried clean flashing to older snapshot releases and they too yield the same thing. I flashed the last pre unified nightly. And everything worked, but updating to m8 returned the roaming indicator off.

Just curious if anyone has a fix that i can try.

droidtom

Jul 14, 2014

Jay_Slim

Jul 9, 2010
late to the party

Hey all,

I've had my Sprint S4 rooted for quite sometime now, I never flashed a custom rom just kept it stock. I rooted it for the wifi hotspot mod.
I recently downloaded the 4.2.2 update and tried to but doesn't seem to complete the install it just reboots and goes to TWRP.

Now my baseband version which is MF9 and build number MDL do not match. I'd like to get my hotspot mod working again but don't know how to proceed. I know these two need to match.

again my phone is:
Sprint Samsung Galaxy 4 SPH-L720
Android 4.2.2
Baseband ver L720VPUAMF9
Kernal ver 3.4.0-529760
Build num JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL

any help is greatly appreciated.

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
Hey all,

I've had my Sprint S4 rooted for quite sometime now, I never flashed a custom rom just kept it stock. I rooted it for the wifi hotspot mod.
I recently downloaded the 4.2.2 update and tried to but doesn't seem to complete the install it just reboots and goes to TWRP.

Now my baseband version which is MF9 and build number MDL do not match. I'd like to get my hotspot mod working again but don't know how to proceed. I know these two need to match.

again my phone is:
Sprint Samsung Galaxy 4 SPH-L720
Android 4.2.2
Baseband ver L720VPUAMF9
Kernal ver 3.4.0-529760
Build num JDQ39.L720VPUAMDL

any help is greatly appreciated.
Read this, hope it helps.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2486134

Last edited:

Thy Gamer

Feb 24, 2012
Ohio
I had rooted my phone with Auto CF root couple months ago, I tried unrooting it today while installing a custom recovery, got it installed right but now its the android recovery back again, This is sprint SPH-L720 phone with no warranty, I read just to flash stock rom to get it unrooted, I end up getting 4.3 android on it but the wifi and calling doesn't work on it so I installed what I had on it before which was stock version of 4.2.2, Its like that now and same issues, Can I just reflash the stock rom with odin or do I need to reroot it then unroot it?

keithatoz

Jun 7, 2010
Tulsa, OK
As the title says, I was wondering if this was possible? I am working on a friend's Sprint Galaxy S4 and he has stock, unrooted NAE on his phone. I've had CM11 on my phone for quite a while and he wanted the same on his. So I did the normal chainfire root and loaded a recovery with no problem. I booted after I did this to verify everything was OK. I tried to install the latest nightly and it hung on reboot at the CM boot screen. I tried a nightly a couple nights back and the last snapshot and got the same thing. Is it even possible to install ANY CM11 on a phone that was on stock NAE? BTW, he's not worried about tripping the Knox e-fuse. I'm not a complete noob, but I am old, so be kind to your elders! Thanks in advance for any advice.

I never saw a response to my question but that's OK - it made me use my brain a little! After diving in depth to my friend's issue, I discovered his EFS folder was empty. His phone worked fine on stock, but that seemed to prevent CM11 from loading. I found this fix somewhere so I though I would share it:

Flash CWM recovery.
Install ADB on your computer.
Boot your device into recovery mode.
Connect your device to PC via USB cable.
In recovery mode Choose “mount and storage > mount /system”.
Open ADB command window and type:

adb shell
su
mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
mount -w -t ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
reboot

This filled the EFS folder properly. I rebooted the phone, copied the CM11 and GApps ZIPs to the phone, and loaded CM11 without a hitch. I hope this helps someone down the line.

2WhiteWolves

Dec 21, 2013
I had rooted my phone with Auto CF root couple months ago, I tried unrooting it today while installing a custom recovery, got it installed right but now its the android recovery back again, This is sprint SPH-L720 phone with no warranty, I read just to flash stock rom to get it unrooted, I end up getting 4.3 android on it but the wifi and calling doesn't work on it so I installed what I had on it before which was stock version of 4.2.2, Its like that now and same issues, Can I just reflash the stock rom with odin or do I need to reroot it then unroot it?
You should have used odin to get the custom recovery, no need to unroot. That would have given you a custom recovery.

Reactions: Thy Gamer

Thy Gamer

Feb 24, 2012
Ohio
You should have used odin to get the custom recovery, no need to unroot. That would have given you a custom recovery.

Thanks, I guess I should have said what my goal was my bad, I want the lastest version of stock ROM not rooted, plan on selling my phone, thanks... I flashed 4.4.2 NAE looks like it's all back to unroot and my counter should be 0 because triangle away before flashing stock ROM nonrooted

Reactions: 2WhiteWolves

churchey360

Oct 6, 2013
Morgantown
Anyone know why I keep getting this error when I try to download a pic from google+? I cant even download pics from zedge because it says failed everytime. I have a stock sprint s4.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1405972201680.jpg
    1405972201680.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 68

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RUy737K.png

CmPEUSX.png

(Credits to @Disturbed™ for the awesome picture!)
    I saw this on another part of the forum, so I thought I might as well expand it here! Credits to @malybru for inspiration and help!

Useful links will be in the 2nd post.
    Personal recommendations will be in the 3rd post.

BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING, PLEASE READ THIS:
    BEGINNER'S GUIDE AND FORUM RULES

YOU ARE FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS THREAD! I WILL TRY TO PROVIDE AN ANSWER OR I WILL DO MY BEST TO PUT YOU ON THE RIGHT TRACK! THERE IS NO ABUSE OR FLAMING TO NOOBS/NEWBS HERE! ;)

Always remember to search before posting! There most likely is SOMEONE out there with a similar problem to yours!​
    Make sure that you have a SPRINT SAMSUNG GALAXY S4. If you do not, you are in the wrong section of the forum! Try out this link and see which model you have and add it to your signature - Useful Signatures

There are other variants of the Galaxy S4 here:

Please hit the Thanks button if I (or anyone else) helped you out! :)
    Also, I don't take credit for ANY of the links I have posted! They are all from the helpful developers of XDA and the moderators!

MY STORY:
    So I was also a newb at one point (weren't we all), and I really didn't know who to go too. XDA came into my life and I was so happy. The problem, however, is that sometimes the terminology and that "new person" feeling was making me feel on edge. That, however, was a while ago. I know a lot more, but I wanted to make this thread to try and help out some of the newer people who are entering the Android world.
    [NOOB FRIENDLY] SPH-L720 Questions Thread - ALL Are Welcome!

Here are some quick useful links that you can use!​
    Glad to see someone had the guts to start this thread.
    I too, for one, get tired of the condescending attitude of people who forget that they were once noobs.

Congrats!
    This a 'noob friendly' post.
    BUT really you should be able to find the answers to every question you asked if you spend some time searching, reading and then reading some more. I cannot stress how much better off you will be if you read through the stickies and how-to's yourself AND read all the way through the whole OPs (original posts AND follow-up pages). Yes I know some posts are a dozens or hundreds of pages long, but you will NOT be sorry and will definitely learn. You will also keep yourself from turning you pretty device into a nice shiny paperweight.
    Again ALL the answers to the questions you asked are easily found. And just about all of them here in this forum section (Sprint Galaxy S4)
    example:
    - What do the terms ODEX and DEODEX refer to?
    http://bit.ly/1jTBU5Q
    - What is a module like CWM or Philz Recovery? How are they installed? Are there pointers to usage instructions?
    What do they do?
    http://bit.ly/1jTC25k and http://bit.ly/1jTCrVt

If you search and learn you will not be dissapointed and you will surely learn to love your device.
    Good luck.
    Here is the thread for the Sprint L720t
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621862

Also, Sammobile firmware
    http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=34368 (this one has NC6, NAF ect... including the NG2 update)

Hope this helps.

OMG it freaking worked!!! You guys rock!!! Thank you so much! This even fixed the roaming problem we were having and now his phone works as it should!!! Thank you all SO MUCH! I cant even tell you how much that helped!! :D :D :D :D :D