Let's do a video comparison of Tab S lag issues...

Are you satisfied with the quality of white on your Tab S screen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
There seems to be a bit of controversy swirling around the whole "lag and choppiness" issue on the Tab S. Some are experiencing it to the extremes while the majority are having no problems at all. In addition it seems that the 8.4 is having the worst of this. My guess is that certain 8.4 models made it into the wild with defective parts. While we got about 1/3 reporting issues here in a poll, the negative response rate on retailer websites is far lower. That makes sense as those experiencing trouble are more likely to come here looking for solutions.

So let's try this. If your Tab S is experiencing significant lag, choppiness or scrolling stutter, video tape it and post it here. Please be specific as to the actions taken and websites visited and launcher used. Please also close all other apps and clear memory before completing your tests. I will repeat your test using my 10.5 model and let's compare. Also note if javascript is enabled or disabled in your test. Please also list where and when you purchased your tab.

Also if you have a Tab S 8.4 and you are NOT experiencing the issues you see in a video, please post your results as well.

HOW TO POST YOUTUBE VIDEO HERE:

Some are confused as to posting YouTube videos in this forum. It's simple. Just click the little YouTube button at the top and place ONLY THE YOUTUBE NUMBER NOT THE ENTIRE LINK between the tags.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Huh. 122 views and no entries? I thought we would get a lot of activity here considering how many individuals have posted regarding lag and stutter issues. There is no wrong or right here. I do not doubt those who say they experienced these problems. I'd just like to test it against a tablet that is not experiencing these issues for comparative purposes.

urself25

Nov 22, 2009
Gatineau
Huh. 122 views and no entries? I thought we would get a lot of activity here considering how many individuals have posted regarding lag and stutter issues. There is no wrong or right here. I do not doubt those who say they experienced these problems. I'd just like to test it against a tablet that is not experiencing these issues for comparative purposes.

Well, can't say for all the others but I'm at work right know. Will try to post something if I see any lags when I'm at home.

Reactions: mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Well, can't say for all the others but I'm at work right know. Will try to post something if I see any lags when I'm at home.

Ok, thanks very much :)

Here is some other interesting news. There have been reports of individuals experiencing warping of the backs of their Tab S and there was a concern if heat was causing this. Samsung has just announced that the problem is not heat but defective backs. So we know there is some basis to the idea that defective parts have made it into the field on the Tab S. Some bum GPU's maybe?

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Could you please give a link of Samsung announcement about the issue ?

Sure. Here it is:

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-says-overheating-not-blame-warped-galaxy-tab-s-back-covers

"Contrary to certain media reports, the slight disfiguration that has formed on the rear surface of the Galaxy Tab S has been attributed to a limited number of defective back covers, which has no relation to the overheating of the application processor or the material used for the back cover. We would like to assure our customers that we have already resolved the issue. We ask affected customers to please contact their nearest Samsung Electronics customer service center."

Last edited:
Reactions: Orphee

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Hmmm, I'm beginning to question how pervasive this lag and stutter issue is. 604 views and no one has posted a video.

Ok here's a brand new test. To my eyes I see no lag or stutter. Everything seems as smooth as on my i5 ultrabook. Smoother actually. Others may see lag and stutter in this video. Perception is reality. What we are looking for is significant lag or stutter which would lessen your enjoyment of the tablet. Your feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I didn't see any..... and I never notice any on my 8.4 Tab S as well.

Thank you. Yes I agree. I do not see any lag or stutter either, but others who have viewed a video of mine just like this say that yes, they can see it. Sort of mystifies me as my vision is not bad. Either way I believe what they are seeing is very subtle and would not be noticeable or bothersome to the average consumer.

That's why I was hoping for some videos from those claiming to have real serious issues, just to see what they are seeing and figure out why their device is performing so much worse than mine.

In another thread a couple members are having issues with the white on their screens appearing yellow when viewed directly and turning back to white when tilted slightly. Again, this is not normal for an amoled screen this advanced. It should be white directly on and maybe slightly pink at an angle. One of the members who has complained of stutter and lag also has this yellow screen issue. Maybe there is a link and we have a bad batch of screens? Don't know, trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

jayochs

Jul 22, 2010
Central NJ
www.dinosaurstakefrance.com
In another thread a couple members are having issues with the white on their screens appearing yellow when viewed directly and turning back to white when tilted slightly. Again, this is not normal for an amoled screen this advanced. It should be white directly on and maybe slightly pink at an angle. One of the members who has complained of stutter and lag also has this yellow screen issue. Maybe there is a link and we have a bad batch of screens? Don't know, trying to figure it out.

i highly doubt my GS3, GS4, GS5 and Tab S all had defective screens.

that's AMOLED tech. straight on it has more of a colored hue than when viewed at an angle. it's sort of the opposite of LCD which looks great head on, but sometimes at an angle can have an off-colored hue to it.

Reactions: simacca

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
i highly doubt my GS3, GS4, GS5 and Tab S all had defective screens.

that's AMOLED tech. straight on it has more of a colored hue than when viewed at an angle. it's sort of the opposite of LCD which looks great head on, but sometimes at an angle can have an off-colored hue to it.

Don't know what to tell you. The white on my screen is pure white with no hue whatsoever. If I hold the tablet at a slight angle it appears just a bit pinkish but absolute sheet of paper white straight on. I owned a Tab Pro and the screen looked completely washed out side by side with my Tab S. Colors are better, whites are whiter and blacks are blacker. No contest.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Mine is pure white..... Maybe I am just blind. Lol.

Mine too brother. When people talk about the screen being yellow or blue straight on I honestly have no idea what they are talking about. My best guess is that those seeing yellow have their color calibration set too warm and those seeing blue have it set too cold? Dunno but mine is without a doubt white.

Last edited:

gamenahd

Nov 11, 2010
My Galaxy Nexus had a more of a bluer, colder screen than my Tab S. The whites on my Tab S are pure white which is nice.

mingkee

About whiteness, I did a test along with Note 3 and Note 8, and the test units I used AMOLED movie mode.
All units used Chrome and open Google.com with desktop view.
10.5 model white is "normal" while 8.4 unit is a bit warm.
It appears Tab S in different BestBuy had same results.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
About whiteness, I did a test along with Note 3 and Note 8, and the test units I used AMOLED movie mode.
All units used Chrome and open Google.com with desktop view.
10.5 model white is "normal" while 8.4 unit is a bit warm.
It appears Tab S in different BestBuy had same results.

Thanks of doing this. Too small of a test sample to draw broad meaning but there is an argument for making the 8.4 screen warmer as it is more likely to be purchased by users who intend to read books while the 10.5 model is targeted more at the business user where a cleaner white would be appreciated? Just throwing out ideas here but not implausible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts