Experimenting w/ Hardware Mod

Search This thread

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
I was inspired by this thread http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/hardmod-nexus-4-investigating-thermal-t2144652 and decided to do some experimenting.

My phone was idling at about 53 degrees with screen on at 50% brightness w/ auto brightness off, ambient temperature of 70 degrees farenheit.

I ran two Antutu benchmarks from idle temperature. Results were 31990 and 31555 and a max temp of 77 degrees.

I then ran two Qualcomm benchmarks with scores of 1860 and 1855 with the temperature topping off at 66 degrees.

I disassembled my phone and removed the main board. I added a small drop of Artic Silver thermal compound to the processor and reassembled.

Results after adding thermal compound. Phone idles about 9 degrees cooler, at about 44 degrees. Max temp while running Antutu benchmark is down to 71 degrees with scores of 35356 and 34856. Results for Qualcomm benchmark after thermal compound, max temp of 60 degrees and scores of 1880 and 1875.

I may clean up this post later with pictures etc but I did this on a whim. This whole process only took about 25 minutes. Phone comes apart extremely easy and with excellent results so far. If you take the plunge and open it up, I noticed that one of the screws at the volume rocker assembly is longer than the other, be careful of this when reinstalling.

Last edited:

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
I was considering doing a similar thing using a thermal pad. I assume the Arctic Silver was applied under the metal shield?

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
I was considering doing a similar thing using a thermal pad. I assume the Arctic Silver was applied under the metal shield?

The processor is exposed in the middle of the metal shield, like at 3:18 of this disassembly video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRXzRQ69264

You might be better off using a thermal pad, as there is quite a gap to fill with thermal compound. I think ideally I should use a pad or a copper shim like in the thread I posted in OP.

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
Yes thats the shield I mean. I assume it just pops off, its not soldered to the mainboard? On the G3 the CPU faces away from the LCD so heat transfer to the LCD (as is likely on the N4) isnt a problem for us.

I wonder if a pad under the shield and a pad over the shield would be possible. The buttons are over it, but it might just fit.

Last edited:

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
On the G3 the CPU faces away from the LCD so heat transfer to the LCD (as is likely on the N4) isnt a problem for us.

CPU does indeed face the display as on the N4. I think you're mistaking the NAND for the processor?

When stress testing for 10 minutes the display definitely got quite warm but I don't think I will be pushing it that hard too often.

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
The CPU and RAM and stacked together on the G3 and are underneath a thin metal shield. It has to come off to access the it.

EDIT: ah I see I read the images wrong, the CPU does face the LCD.. Hmm.

Last edited:

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
You were probably looking at the same teardown I was. It's confusing the way it's posted on there. I doubt I can damage the display but if I do I guess I'll accept the couple hundred loss for having to tinker with things haha. Temperature as I type this is 42 degrees. Solid ten degrees lower than 'normal'

xRamz

Aug 14, 2013
Melbourne
How the heck if your phone so cool?
Mine is like 30 degrees Celsius (86F) when just browsing the net, goes up to 40 degrees Celsius (104F) :/

Jun 23, 2011
Do you have an estimate of how much of a "gap" has to be filled? I'm planning to try this with either paste or coollaboratories liquid ultra i still have lying around.

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
i'm interested in doing this mod. can you share your pictures? because none of the teardown show the processor.

I didnt take pictures, sorry. The processor is on the back side of the board, facing the display. It's in the middle of a metal housing, you can't miss it. If I teardown again and switch to a thermal pad, which I think is more ideal, I'll be sure to take some.

Reactions: f.gritti97

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
Do you have an estimate of how much of a "gap" has to be filled? I'm planning to try this with either paste or coollaboratories liquid ultra i still have lying around.

Hmm, I'd say about a .1mm gap. I'd really recommend some sort of copper or aluminum shim with compound on both sides of it. Or a thermal pad. Thermal compound isn't meant to fill this kind of gap, although it does work.

biustech

Oct 2, 2012
Amsterdam
I didnt take pictures, sorry. The processor is on the back side of the board, facing the display. It's in the middle of a metal housing, you can't miss it. If I teardown again and switch to a thermal pad, which I think is more ideal, I'll be sure to take some.

No problem dude. Thanks for the tips. But do you think this mod can compromise the LCD, somehow more heat will be transfered to the LCD and then could cause some problem...

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
No problem dude. Thanks for the tips. But do you think this mod can compromise the LCD, somehow more heat will be transfered to the LCD and then could cause some problem...

It could cause a lcd issue. I turned off thermal throttling then ran the cpu at max for 10 mins with a stress test. The upper part of the lcd where the processor is does get quite warm. When playing asphalt it gets warm but nothing crazy. My opinion is it will be fine, but use this mod at your own risk of course.

Jun 23, 2011
Hmm, I'd say about a .1mm gap. I'd really recommend some sort of copper or aluminum shim with compound on both sides of it. Or a thermal pad. Thermal compound isn't meant to fill this kind of gap, although it does work.

I am finally now in possession of a 15x15x0.3mm copper shim. I'll try this tomorrow and give you guys an update.

Jun 23, 2011
Finally done with the mod. After checking taking the phone apart i feel the best option to go is a 0.5mm thermal pad/copper shim. The added thickness should put a little more pressure on the SoC for better heat transfer.

Can report the same 9C difference on idle from 54 to 52.

Antutu scores:
Before: 31438
After: 36099

Load temp max from 73 to 64.

Strangely everything feels smoother but could just be bias on my end.

Last edited:

bobbarker2

Aug 30, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Finally done with the mod. After checking taking the phone apart i feel the best option to go is a 0.5mm thermal pad/copper shim. The added thickness should put a little more pressure on the SoC for better heat transfer.

Antutu scores:

Can you link to the exact materials you used? The thermal pad/paste. Thanks.

Reactions: liamR

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was inspired by this thread http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/hardmod-nexus-4-investigating-thermal-t2144652 and decided to do some experimenting.

My phone was idling at about 53 degrees with screen on at 50% brightness w/ auto brightness off, ambient temperature of 70 degrees farenheit.

I ran two Antutu benchmarks from idle temperature. Results were 31990 and 31555 and a max temp of 77 degrees.

I then ran two Qualcomm benchmarks with scores of 1860 and 1855 with the temperature topping off at 66 degrees.

I disassembled my phone and removed the main board. I added a small drop of Artic Silver thermal compound to the processor and reassembled.

Results after adding thermal compound. Phone idles about 9 degrees cooler, at about 44 degrees. Max temp while running Antutu benchmark is down to 71 degrees with scores of 35356 and 34856. Results for Qualcomm benchmark after thermal compound, max temp of 60 degrees and scores of 1880 and 1875.

I may clean up this post later with pictures etc but I did this on a whim. This whole process only took about 25 minutes. Phone comes apart extremely easy and with excellent results so far. If you take the plunge and open it up, I noticed that one of the screws at the volume rocker assembly is longer than the other, be careful of this when reinstalling.
    LG G3 F400K I used a 15x15x0.5mm Copper shim and Thermal pads.

Antutu scores:

I am finally now in possession of a 15x15x0.3mm copper shim. I'll try this tomorrow and give you guys an update.
    just finished the mod with copper shim and thermal paste . its a must have , costs next to nothing and is done in 10 minutes . get 45630 in antutu now , got 42300 before .
    in stability test takes 3 times longer to throttle and throttles more gently .
    im curious if it would benefit to connect the rest of the metal cage from the motherboard to the frame with paste/silicone thermal pad .
    its a lot of thermal real estate that is not being used .
    i tried this first on my old Optimus 4X HD P880 and it was harder to work on and only fit some paste and stickers but also worth it .
    Thermal modding should be a normal thing to do to a phone .