Chainfire's RegionLock Away App SIM Unlocked my TMo Note 3

Search This thread

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
I'm sorry, I have read the whole thread and more but I still cant figure out why it works for some and not for others. If you know can you point me to the corect info I would appreciate it.

hmm let's see what i can find....

Off course Im rooted, and I tried all the steps... it worked on my previous phone, yesterday I received my replacement phone so I did a quick install without inserting the sim, that part messed me up, cause I read people saying its working with 4.4.2....

My problem was I ran the app on 4.3 and thought I would unlock it, but I did not insert a sim...

I then upgraded to 4.4.2 then I tried to see if it was unlocked, to my surprise its not... the app is not working for 4.4.2..

I tried flashing the older modem from 4.3 but it is not taking, its stays with the new modem from 4.4.2..

I will have to wait for a fix for 4.4.2 to resolve this issue..

Tough luck but chainfire prog will not work on 4.4.2. I've used it on several phones, but no go after update. No way to revert to 4.3 that I'm aware of, so I guess it'll be $30 to cellunlocker for me. :(

Remember this thing : this app for unlocking works only on 4.3. If you update to 4.4 before unlocking then you won't be able to unlock the phone.

What software version are you running? The unlock will not work with Kitkat.

Hi @mea83,

please see some posts back, it has been clarified that Chainfires app wont work with 4.4.2. You should have done that before updating.
Now, you can probably use some online unlocking service like cellunlocker.net. There are others too, but this is what I use.

The RegionLock Away only works on 4.3. Since your Note 3 is running 4.4.2 it will not work.

Not if its on 4.4.2. I tried it last week. If its on 4.4.2, you will need to get it unlocked by cell unlocker website. Its $30 which sucks, but it worked for me when I was on 4.4.2. If its on anything before 4.4.2, I think it should work.
Are you sure that you searched? Because I found all these in less than 5 minutes.

I think you get the point.

Reactions: padre629 and DAFTEK

DAFTEK

Jan 9, 2007
Chicago
Thank you sir, I think you not only made it clear for me vut for many more looking in to this so I guess it's wait until a fix comes up in the future or get it unlocked online. How exactly do those websites get it unlocked and devs cant I never understood. Thank for your help again. :silly:

mdiaz33685

Feb 20, 2009
Tampa, FL
Thank you sir, I think you not only made it clear for me vut for many more looking in to this so I guess it's wait until a fix comes up in the future or get it unlocked online. How exactly do those websites get it unlocked and devs cant I never understood. Thank for your help again. :silly:
I have 2 Note 3. I have unlocked them through t-mobile and i have unkocked my black note3 3 times already cause i have had to exchange my phone out through warranty exchange cause i bought mine straight out.

DroidRazrNy

Dec 23, 2012
gloversville
verify straight talk plz

Has anyone tried using a straight talk Sim in the us after this modification? I'm very curious because someone will sell me a note 3 from T-Mobile for $150 but I won't buy if I can't unlock to straight talk. The ESN is bad apparently. Bad payment on bills. Silly people

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Has anyone tried using a straight talk Sim in the us after this modification? I'm very curious because someone will sell me a note 3 from T-Mobile for $150 but I won't buy if I can't unlock to straight talk. The ESN is bad apparently. Bad payment on bills. Silly people
1. Straight Talk uses both ATT and T-Mo towers.
2. If your SIM is a T-Mo one, you don't need to unlock the phone for it to work.
3. That being said, it most likely won't work anyways due to the block.
4. It MAY work if your SIM is ATT, but the block may also extend to other carriers.
5. You can't use this method to unlock if it's been updated to KK (which it has, in all likelihood)

Still... a Note 3 for $150 is a helluva steal.

And there are always ways around the block (as well as other ways to unlock it), if you know what you're doing....

....ahem....

Rickdaddy

Nov 5, 2011
for the lazies (like me).

It worked on my girlfriend's note 3 with 4.3. I recently updated her's to nf1 and it is still unlocked.
A while back I updated my note 3 to 4.4.2 and ran the app...it DID NOT WORK. Had to get an unlock code from T-mobile.

spatjoe

Dec 7, 2011
I received a note 3 SM-N900T as gift from USA for use in Kenya. Unfortunately the set came pre-installed with 4.4.2 ROM. How can I unlock this gadget? Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dyallo

Oct 2, 2010
Unlocked Galaxy S4 I9505 on 4.4.2 with this.

You need to be using the modem "DXUAME2" which you can get here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39176955

Download it, unzip, start Odin, press CP, browse to the unzipped "md5"-file. Click it, restart phone in Download Mode (Home,VolumeDown,Power). Insert USB into phone, when it says "Added" in Odin, go ahead and flash.

After it restarts, run the RegionLock Away app, let it reboot and the lock should be gone.

Thanks XDA for this information

Reactions: spatjoe

spatjoe

Dec 7, 2011
You need to be using the modem "DXUAME2" which you can get here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=39176955

Download it, unzip, start Odin, press CP, browse to the unzipped "md5"-file. Click it, restart phone in Download Mode (Home,VolumeDown,Power). Insert USB into phone, when it says "Added" in Odin, go ahead and flash.

After it restarts, run the RegionLock Away app, let it reboot and the lock should be gone.

Thanks XDA for this information

That modem is specifically for Galaxy s4!

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I received a note 3 SM-N900T as gift from USA for use in Kenya. Unfortunately the set came pre-installed with 4.4.2 ROM. How can I unlock this gadget? Many thanks

1st question, was the phone used to at least make 1 phone call (5 minutes length or more) in the U.S.A ? Hopefully it was.....next thing to mention is this app (chainfire's) will Not work with kitkat, so the only methods to unlock (providing the 1st step was met (5min call in U.S) is to either get T-Mobile rep to give you unlock, or use cellunlocker.net.....pay $30 to get code.
Best of luck to you.

DAFTEK

Jan 9, 2007
Chicago
I was on 4.4.2 with a new N900T and had no choice but to caved in and payed the $30 to cellunlocker and got the code in about 12 hours. I am now in the states using a cosmote sim card flawlessly and happy i got this working. Also now that I am unlocked I updated to NF4 and using a new rom. :good:

Last edited:

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I was on 4.4.2 with a new N900T and had no choice but to caved in and payed the $30 to cellunlocker and got the code in about 12 hours. I am now in the states using a cosmote sim card flawlessly and happy i got this working. Also now that I am unlocked I updated to NF4 and using a new rom. :good:

I got my code from cellunlocker in about 25 minutes! and prior to using them i read a lot of reviews where people got their codes within 30 minutes. ....its no promise that you'll get it that quick but many times it seems to be the case

spatjoe

Dec 7, 2011
1st question, was the phone used to at least make 1 phone call (5 minutes length or more) in the U.S.A ? Hopefully it was.....next thing to mention is this app (chainfire's) will Not work with kitkat, so the only methods to unlock (providing the 1st step was met (5min call in U.S) is to either get T-Mobile rep to give you unlock, or use cellunlocker.net.....pay $30 to get code.
Best of luck to you.

Unfortunately the set came in a box brand new. There is a T-mobile sim card in the box though unregistered.
Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
Unfortunately the set came in a box brand new. There is a T-mobile sim card in the box though unregistered.
Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

yup, unfortunately that 5 minute phone call Must be made with the T-Mobile sim while in the U.S. If you can get the phone to someone you know and trust and get them to make that preliminary call with the sim and send it back to you, otherwise from what I have read you only be able to use wifi. Even the sim unlock sites mention you must have that correct region lock in place before attempting to gain the unlock key from them.

Reactions: spatjoe

spatjoe

Dec 7, 2011
yup, unfortunately that 5 minute phone call Must be made with the T-Mobile sim while in the U.S. If you can get the phone to someone you know and trust and get them to make that preliminary call with the sim and send it back to you, otherwise from what I have read you only be able to use wifi. Even the sim unlock sites mention you must have that correct region lock in place before attempting to gain the unlock key from them.

The attendant who sold it claimed it will be unlocked after 40 days. I just wanted to use the phone early. Hope the 40 days doesnot necessarily means the card has to be activated then am duped. Will try a downgrade with ODIN hoping it will work.

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
The attendant who sold it claimed it will be unlocked after 40 days. I just wanted to use the phone early. Hope the 40 days doesnot necessarily means the card has to be activated then am duped. Will try a downgrade with ODIN hoping it will work.

Yeah think they kinda duped you, that's after 40 days of service with T-Mobile, however if you can get that preliminary call made in the U.S you can then instantly obtain the key from a simunlock service.

tupirujp

Dec 18, 2010

I have a new note 3 ... I want to unlock it for att .. so before I unlock it I need to insert a t mobile sim card and make phone calls so the system will register the phone ...

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

How i do that downgrade to what version to unlock it free

louforgiveno

Jun 24, 2010
I have a new note 3 ... I want to unlock it for att .. so before I unlock it I need to insert a t mobile sim card and make phone calls so the system will register the phone ...

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

How i do that downgrade to what version to unlock it free

Yup, just one phone call of 5 minutes+
More than registering it on the network, it confirms to the phone that it is in its correct region initially and then it will work with foreign sims....but if you use a sim unlock site they will provide you the info that will carrier (domestic) sim unlock as well as foreign.
Starting with android 4.3 the free exploits have been patched and no longer work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** since people can't seem to be held accountable for screwing up their phones because they can't read... Here's the disclaimer: this is in the Note 3 section (TMO Note 3 section to be exact). It's your own damn fault if this bricks your phone. As with anything else, you assume responsibility for any and all negative results. ***

So here's the skinny. I SIM-unlocked my UNACTIVATED T-Mobile Note 3 via Chainfire's RegionLock Away app.

I bought the Note 3 SM-N900T direct from T-Mobile with the sole purpose of using on AT&T - without thinking about it being SIM-locked to T-Mobile. Of course I found this out when I put the AT&T SIM in out of the box - only to be reminded that it was locked and I needed the network unlock code from T-Mobile.

I also didn't want to activate a SIM on T-Mobile (spending at least $10 for a week-long plan) just to turn around and spend $25 on an unlock code. So after seeing Chainfire talk about fixing the Region Lock on the Note 3 I decided to give the following a test:

1. Put the T-Mobile SIM (unactivated, unregistered) that came in the box into the Note 3
    2. Rooted via Chainfire's CF AutoRoot
    3. Bought RegionLock Away app
    4. Ran the app, and instead of rebooting - I said Reboot Later (I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT)
    5. I then powered off the Note 3.
    6. Took out the T-Mobile SIM and replaced it with my AT&T SIM
    7. Turned on the device - BOOM! no Region Lock, and NO SIM Lock. I was able to setup my APN without any "wrong network" errors, and it's working like a charm.

I highly recommend you purchase Chainfire's app and give it a go. Follow the steps EXACTLY as I laid them out above. I can't guarantee anything, and YMMV - but this worked for me.

winning.gif
    Quite possibly true.... But you are rooted to do this which means you won't be getting OTAs :D

I think I've stated this in another related thread, but it is currently unknown when exactly the modem is updating automatically. I've custom region locked my own Note3 for testing, and flashing complete firmwares (with wipe, different CSCs, and the automatic after flash booting into recovery to apply CSC) did *not* affect my region lock, or set it back to what it was originally (in the applied CSC). So it's not like this *must* be updated or triggered when a new firmware comes in. On the other hand, any OTA update *could* be executing code to apply a new/different region lock or SIM lock. In other words, nobody knows if/when, but it could be any time.
    Confirmed... It really does work. I just did it... I now have a another T-Mobile Note 3 working perfectly with AT&T's network...

After doing this is it required to change the APN to get it to work (fully) with At&t?

Yes... Here... LTE APN

You just add the AT&T apn one time... After that you can swap sims a million times and both apn's will always be there and they will change accordingly automatically...

You can get a dual sim card adapter for your phone... (I have a triple sim card adapter...)