At&t S 5 Active Restore Thread (NE4) (NO MORE SUPPORT)

Search This thread

HempG0d

Aug 25, 2014
I have successfully rooted my s5 Active with downgrading the firmware threw ODIN and using the june released G870AUCU1ANE4_G870AATT1ANE4_G870AUCU1ANE4_HOME.tar but lost it after an update by AT@T this morning about 2 hrs ago.. I had titanium blocking/ freezing, security but somehow it got threw..

Ive never owned a smart phone before 2 days ago and i find im highly addicted to it already.. Any suggestions on what I might do to stop this happening again? Or am i just N00bin it here? Help please :silly:

thepktrckt

Feb 19, 2013
I have successfully rooted my s5 Active with downgrading the firmware threw ODIN and using the june released G870AUCU1ANE4_G870AATT1ANE4_G870AUCU1ANE4_HOME.tar but lost it after an update by AT@T this morning about 2 hrs ago.. I had titanium blocking/ freezing, security but somehow it got threw..

Ive never owned a smart phone before 2 days ago and i find im highly addicted to it already.. Any suggestions on what I might do to stop this happening again? Or am i just N00bin it here? Help please :silly:

Were you able to downgrade again and root again? I had the same update pop up and thankfully I was watching and went to airplane mode. Seems I hadn't frozen AT&T updater even though I thought I had. I now have AT&T Software update and Samsung Push Service frozen and no pushed update.

HempG0d

Aug 25, 2014
Were you able to downgrade again and root again? I had the same update pop up and thankfully I was watching and went to airplane mode. Seems I hadn't frozen AT&T updater even though I thought I had. I now have AT&T Software update and Samsung Push Service frozen and no pushed update.

Yes i was able to reflash again with ODIN and reroot after the update...

As per your comment I have frozen the apps you mentioned I hope this resolves the update issue..

Thanks for the comment..

ranthon007

Aug 23, 2014
Worked for Me

Thanks for posting this. I had updated my phone in Mid-August 2014 and lost the ability to use towelroot. Once I followed your instructions and installed I was able to get root and install SDFix (which is the whole reason I wanted root in the first place). I did not do the entire wipe like you did, but maybe I will try it in the future.

Does anyone know how to turn off the AT&T updates. I understand that I cannot install them and keep root but if I could not be bothered by them then that would be great.

Thanks again for the very helpful (and only helpful) post on the S5 Active G870A!!!! Without it I would not have gotten root!!!

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010

As per your comment I have frozen the apps you mentioned I hope this resolves the update issue..

Thanks for the comment..

Well, that's good news.
I may have to try it out.

Did you do the first 9 steps only or did you do the 10 additional ones too?
Are those additional ones required, do you know?

HempG0d

Aug 25, 2014
What I did step by step

I did a factory reset, flashed the phone in Download mode with ODIN and the firmware APK I got from Sammobile. Connected the phone to the PC and put the APKs in a folder and ran them. You know, like towelr00t, SU and titanium ect.. After that I hunted down the offending services/files running that update the phone. OTR updates I think you call it. The ones you mentioned here and the "general security one"..

I did some rebooting and crossed my fingers as I ran Pandora and a few other apps waiting. Few hours later I think I'm good :good:

Last edited:

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010

Thanks for the comment..

For those who updated your Active S 5, you can use this thread to get back. Make sure you freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates. This will keep the updates from coming in on you.

If I have helped/or this thread has helped, please hit the thanks button for me. Thanks !!!

There should be a "MANY Thanks" button! ;)

I will probably be attempting this in a few days but I need to sort out a few details.
- Are these (freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates) all performed from the application manager? Or is another app required to freeze them?
- The first 9 steps in your write up, are as clear as crystal to me, and the next 10 (the additional cleaning) are pretty clear.

Its the paragraph after that where I get concerned.
Example:
Install and update SU - Just use the version in the playstore(sometimes its outdated)?
install busybox, install safestrap, install xposed - From playstore also?
install your modules - Modules?

AnarchoXen

Aug 14, 2010
USA
I will probably be attempting this in a few days but I need to sort out a few details.

- Are these (freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates) all performed from the application manager? Or is another app required to freeze them? I use Titanium Backup to freeze apps.

- The first 9 steps in your write up, are as clear as crystal to me, and the next 10 (the additional cleaning) are pretty clear.

Example:

Install and update SU - Just use the version in the playstore(sometimes its outdated)? I use the app from the SU website

install busybox, install safestrap, install xposed - From playstore also?SafeStrap from the SS websitesite...xposed from play.

install your modules - Modules?xposed modules. You'll see when you DL the application. Modules do different things.

10char

thepktrckt

Feb 19, 2013
- Are these (freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates) all performed from the application manager? Or is another app required to freeze them?

I use Titanium Backup Pro but found App Quarantine to be clean and easy to use, just have to select settings/filter/check system services to see the AT&T updater

Reactions: AnarchoXen

BuLLitz

Dec 4, 2010

One last question I have for verification...

Another site has what appears to be a different process for disabling security updates.
That is, install a root explorer and navigate to the /system/priv-app folder and locate the SPDClient.apk file. Rename it with .bak, and reboot.

Would that be a safer method than freezing security updates within Titanium Backup or App Quarantine?

Reactions: AnarchoXen

AnarchoXen

Aug 14, 2010
USA
One last question I have for verification...

Another site has what appears to be a different process for disabling security updates.
That is, install a root explorer and navigate to the /system/priv-app folder and locate the SPDClient.apk file. Rename it with .bak, and reboot.

Would that be a safer method than freezing security updates within Titanium Backup or App Quarantine?

Either or. Freezing an app/process isn't dangerous in and of itself because you can just unfreeze it.

dbodom

Apr 29, 2006
Mobile, AL
Moto G 5G Plus
Process worked great! Lost root about a month ago after the OTA got me. Followed this process using Odin 3.10 and it restored NE4 just fine. Re-rooted, ran SDFix, loaded SU, Busybox and TiBU. I froze ATT Software update this time after moving back to Dalvik from ART. For some reason, when you use ART, you can't freeze certain programs and ATT Software Update is one of them. Great job OP and contributors!!

Reactions: LuckyColdJohnson

Monica Jae

Jun 21, 2014
Did you delete your data, system, safestrap is gone, only download mode and stock recovery are available? Do you want to start fresh and out of the box new? Or AT&T update hit you???
(( FOR s 5 ACTIVE )) NE4
Thanks to @ted77usa & @Intub8 for the help. SAM MOBILE for the Firmware and steps. KNOX was not tripped. Nothing was after this. It worked perfectly.
Just FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
Seems to me that rooting stock at first made things act funky. Flashing this restore and making a back up, then flashing one of our DEV's works (Thank you to all our devs!!!) I feel rooting didn't mess things up. I don't know about y'all but after rooting at first with Geo's findings, my smartphone was acting wired. Once I did this method (Thanks to SAM MOBILE again and Hashcode and Geohot the man!!!) my phone is running simply amazing and what I want as a phone/customer.
Do this at your own risk. If you don't read and mess up your phone, its not my fault :). As long as you can get into download mode, this will help out a lot. I am not responsible for what you do to your device. I just know this worked for me, and I'm extremely happy with the S 5 Active "Camo" from AT&T !! Thanks to @geohot and @Hashcode for looking out for us!! Now to get our dedicated MODS to create us Active owners our own forum. Please:)

I was searching the internet and found this today. I want to Odin Back to s5 Active Stock.
Here is the link for the firmware>http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=31669
Make sure you have the Samsung drivers installed before starting.
Samsung USB drivers
Make sure USB debugging is checked under settings/developer options. If you don't know how to do that, go to "about device" in settings, and click on "Build Number x5 till you unlock Developer options".

1. Extract (unzip) the firmware file
  2. Download Odin v3.09
  3. Extract Odin zip-file
  4. Open Odin v3.09
  5. Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
  6. Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
  7. Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
  8. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
  9. Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes

You can do this below if you want. I have done this about 5 or 6 times. #6 and 7 happens sometimes.

I wanted to be totally fresh and wanted to use "Wipe Data (YES)" in safestrap. Here is what I did and what happened.
My phone has been really good since this and all is smooth.

Things to do to be fresh and start all the way over out of box style:
1. Make sure you have done a back up, and your ready to restore with Odin.
2. Go into Safestrap
3. Go to WIPE tab > Factory reset
4. Advanced wipe, (Wipe > Dalvik Cache, "NOT Micro SDcard"> Data, Cache, System)
5. For really starting over > next to Advanced wipe is "Format Data" do that and type YES
6. This will get rid of safestrap and everything so you will get a black screen once it deletes all.
7. Try to catch it and go into download mode before it boots to the Samsung screen (Which it will stay there FOREVER)
(As soon as your phone does this, try to catch it before the samsung screen and go into download mode. When it turns black, quickly hold Power + Volume down + home button. )
8. While in download mode, flash the restore firmware.
9. Let it do its thing and you will be factory new.
10. After it all settles down and you are back up and running, you can start like I do.
(Root with V3 (Make it Rain), Install and update SU, Reboot 3 times lol, install busybox, install safestrap, install xposed, reboot, install your modules, reboot, power down and boot back but go into safestrap and wipe dalvik cache and regular cache. Reboot. lol
Install all your apps you like or have your backups from titanium on your sd card and restore) Reboot and go into safestrap again and fix permissions and reboot lol...... BAM. Your phone should be sick and you should throw up on it)​

what about just plain ol att g900c not active. or i forgot the g**** number.//// g900a?

t

Steph_Tech

Jun 21, 2012
Houston TX USA
many thanks

Thank you so much for the informative thread! Makes it much easier to do things when you have a backup plan. Love this phone, but it has started acting up... camera not working, can't get into some of the settings. I need to do a little more research, but I'll likely be doing this in the next day or two using my Win7 desktop computer.

I usually run Linux on my laptop - is there a Linux equivalent to Odin? Just curious...

Reactions: LuckyColdJohnson

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NO MORE SUPPORT.....GAME OVER
    Did you delete your data, system, safestrap is gone, only download mode and stock recovery are available? Do you want to start fresh and out of the box new?
    (( FOR s 5 ACTIVE )) NE4
    Thanks to @ted77usa & @Intub8 for the help. SAM MOBILE for the Firmware and steps. KNOX was not tripped. Nothing was after this. It worked perfectly.
    Just FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS
    Do this at your own risk. If you don't read and mess up your phone, its not my fault :). As long as you can get into download mode, this will help out a lot. I am not responsible for what you do to your device.

Odin Back to s5 Active Stock. NE4

Make sure you have the Samsung drivers installed before starting.
    Samsung USB drivers
    Make sure USB debugging is checked under settings/developer options. If you don't know how to do that, go to "about device" in settings, and click on "Build Number x5 till you unlock Developer options".

1. Extract (unzip) the firmware file (NE4) HERE
    2. Download Odin v3.09 HERE
    3. Extract Odin zip-file
    4. Open Odin v3.09
    5. Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
    6. Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    7. Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
    8. Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    9. Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes
      Note : Some users are getting stuck at long At&t screen, once odin finishes and you happen to get stuck, reboot to stock recovery and factory reset your phone.
      It should boot up just fine after that. The At&t screen sometimes takes a while.

You can do this below if you want. I have done this about 5 or 6 times. #6 and 7 happens sometimes.

I wanted to be totally fresh and wanted to use "Wipe Data (YES)" in safestrap. Here is what I did and what happened.
    My phone has been really good since this and all is smooth.

Things to do to be fresh and start all the way over out of box style:
    1. Make sure you have done a back up, and your ready to restore with Odin.
    2. Go into Safestrap
    3. Go to WIPE tab > Factory reset
    4. Advanced wipe, (Wipe > Dalvik Cache, "NOT Micro SDcard"> Data, Cache, System)
    5. For really starting over > next to Advanced wipe is "Format Data" do that and type YES
    6. This will get rid of safestrap and everything so you will get a black screen once it deletes all.
    7. Try to catch it and go into download mode before it boots to the Samsung screen (Which it will stay there FOREVER)
    (As soon as your phone does this, try to catch it before the samsung screen and go into download mode. When it turns black, quickly hold Power + Volume down + home button. )
    8. While in download mode, flash the restore firmware.
    9. Let it do its thing and you will be factory new.
    10. After it all settles down and you are back up and running, you can start like I do.
    (Root with V3 (Make it Rain), Install and update SU, Reboot 3 times lol, install busybox, install safestrap, install xposed, reboot, install your modules, reboot, power down and boot back but go into safestrap and wipe dalvik cache and regular cache. Reboot. lol- Install all your apps you like or have your backups from titanium on your sd card and restore) Reboot and go into safestrap again and fix permissions and reboot lol...... BAM. (Your phone should be sick and you should throw up on it)

LINKS
    NE4 (THE MAIN FILE YOU NEED)
    [KITKAT:ND3]
    LATEST BETA FILE: Safestrap-KLTEATT-ND3-3.75-B03.apk
    XDA Downloads Safestrap
    Mirror 1 (Crackflasher) Safestrap
    BUSYBOX
    SUPERSU
    For those who updated your Active S 5, you can use this thread to get back. Make sure you freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates. This will keep the updates from coming in on you.

If I have helped/or this thread has helped, please hit the thanks button for me. Thanks !!!
    Anybody have a mirror?

Here yah go: drive.google[.]com/file/d/0BwsrmAcZGmRfZHZuX3UzblVXbm8/view?usp=sharing <-- I cant post links properly yet :p
    I got it from sammobile.com yesterday (I paid for an account on their download site)

If my link goes down, send me a PM and I'll fix it.

-Edit:
    After flashing with Odin make sure to boot up the recovery and do a factory reset. The phone may not boot otherwise.

- Are these (freeze the At&t Update, Sammy push, and security updates) all performed from the application manager? Or is another app required to freeze them? I use Titanium Backup to freeze apps.

Example:

Install and update SU - Just use the version in the playstore(sometimes its outdated)? I use the app from the SU website

install busybox, install safestrap, install xposed - From playstore also?SafeStrap from the SS websitesite...xposed from play.

install your modules - Modules?xposed modules. You'll see when you DL the application. Modules do different things.

10char
    LINKS are Live again.