[Kernel] OC to 1100Mhz and linaro gcc 4.7 (New version with fast display mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
might be fixed if opened. if still under warranty, don't open it. failing all, sell it on ebay, get another used one cheap.

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

In NookHWTest, toggle Enable SD card a few times and run the test if it is installed.
contacted the seller for a return... will see how this thing gets sorted out.. thx for helping

unfortunately, i did a factory reset, i don't have nookhwtest anymore.. i can't access adw launcher or relaunch anymore as they were probably deleted.... adb usb does not work either

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
contacted the seller for a return... will see how this thing gets sorted out.. thx for helping

unfortunately, i did a factory reset, i don't have nookhwtest anymore.. i can't access adw launcher or relaunch anymore as they were probably deleted.... adb usb does not work either

usb Too? sounds like faulty hardware. I totally thrashed mine many times in the week i've had it and keeps coming back. others doing worse here. btw just played with nook touch mod manager. assigned a key to light, back and nav popups too. it is a good device if you read ebooks as is easy on the eyes plus long battery, otherwise a quad tab is better. I like it, horses for courses.

Last edited:

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010
usb Too? sounds like faulty hardware. I totally thrashed mine many times in the week i've had it and keeps coming back. others doing worse here. btw just played with nook touch mod manager. assigned a key to light, back and nav popups too. it is a good device if you read ebooks as is easy on the eyes plus long battery, otherwise a quad tab is better. I like it, horses for courses.
nopes usb working... adb over usb is not working

yeahman45

Dec 26, 2010

thejaredhuang

Jan 14, 2007
Noob question but I've installed the kernel but I don't see anyway to set the governor. Also does the kernel show up on the settings page? I've rooted using NookManager

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm on FW 1.21. I flashed kernal 166 awhile back to enable multi-touch and that works fine. No-Refresh works fine (but I don't have it starting at boot). I can't get FastMode2 to work.

I added the line in the clrbootcount.sh file to enable FastMode2 at boot and rebooted. Nothing. When I touch the app icon I get a little flash and a return to the app drawer home screen, but no change. No Frills CPU continues to show a range of 300-800 MHz.

I have read the entire (...) thread. I must have missed something. What is it?:confused:

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
I'm on FW 1.21. I flashed kernal 166 awhile back to enable multi-touch and that works fine. No-Refresh works fine (but I don't have it starting at boot). I can't get FastMode2 to work.

I added the line in the clrbootcount.sh file to enable FastMode2 at boot and rebooted. Nothing. When I touch the app icon I get a little flash and a return to the app drawer home screen, but no change. No Frills CPU continues to show a range of 300-800 MHz.

I have read the entire (...) thread. I must have missed something. What is it?:confused:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode

via terminal or ADB and see if it works.
If the file 'fmode' does not exist, you flashed the kernel wrong.
If the file exists and echoing 1 and 0 to it does nothing, try killing NoRefresh before starting FastMode2 (they should not work at the same time).
It should run as root, have you allowed the app to access the system partition (su application)?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode

via terminal or ADB and see if it works.
If the file 'fmode' does not exist, you flashed the kernel wrong.
If the file exists and echoing 1 and 0 to it does nothing, try killing NoRefresh before starting FastMode2 (they should not work at the same time).
It should run as root, have you allowed the app to access the system partition (su application)?

The system returns that the path cannot be found. So I checked with RootBrowser and there is no file "fmode". This leads me to conclude that while I successfully flashed kernal 166 to enable multi-touch, that particular version does not also enable FastMode2 and I need a newer one?

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
The system returns that the path cannot be found. So I checked with RootBrowser and there is no file "fmode". This leads me to conclude that while I successfully flashed kernal 166 to enable multi-touch, that particular version does not also enable FastMode2 and I need a newer one?

Try a different kernel then.
My memory is fuzzy since a long time have passed since my last post, but I think that I have posted the original v166.zip somewhere. Check my posts.
Latest Latuks kernel never worked for me like I wanted.

EDIT :

Try this one

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38542949&postcount=131

Last edited:
Reactions: nmyshkin

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Try a different kernel then.
My memory is fuzzy since a long time have passed since my last post, but I think that I have posted the original v166.zip somewhere. Check my posts.
Latest Latuks kernel never worked for me like I wanted.

EDIT :

Try this one

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38542949&postcount=131

Thanks so much for your help. I would have been done sooner but forgot just what was on my most recent NM backup and well.....

Anyway, I've got it working, including the Gscript behind the clock. I need to learn how to write those things! Can I "dress up" the titles of the .sh files without messing up anything?

EDIT: yep, the file name is not important; I can't figure out what the NoRefresh toggle is supposed to do. If I have NoRefresh active the toggle does not inactivate it (i.e., does not remove the check mark in the settings). If I have it inactive, it does seem to add the check mark. I only use NoRefresh by gesture command, not automatically on scrolling...so does it need to be toggled when using FastMode?

Last edited:

wozhere

Sep 29, 2010
As I recently queried in the thread linked below, achieving forcing all rendering to GPU as claimed sometimes seems to be based on jam-dev's suspicion of a line deletion. It would be nice if we could be certain as he is not sure himself. Line delete did iMprove display slightly for me though.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2748546

Also the app in store: Nook Clear Screen, works great. If inside an app, any reader etc, should be functional from notifications. If not, run it once after boot. Also I'm running an old pro version of button saviour, inside any app long_pressing Home brings up recent apps per normal, so other screen mods can be run inside apps too.

I just posted to say thanks to guevor for this work. I've been running this on my glow since I got it last year with f/w 1.2.1 with kernel #166 and a certain old version of Zeam launcher (see my thread: listing of my apps in themes subforum or the best launcher thread to download) and this is solid as a rock and smooth as butter and fast as the wind, it's a beast. I'm also using a certain old version of CPU Master Pro. Anyone who's got a new NST device, don't hesitate, best kernel. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawnckr

vseslavrus

May 6, 2009
Guys, please explain.
I tried to flash 166 and 174 kernel, Fastmode app does not seem to load the fast display mode, so I switch it with GScript (but the app does turn off the mode, which is interesting). I toggle it on, and the screen gets messed up with the artifacts (traces of former images). They do not much interfere with the imaged displayed at the moment, but still make it blurry. When I turn off the fast display mode, the image gets back to normal. What is the problem with the image? May I use the fastmode and still get the proper sharp image on the screen?

My NST is rooted with ZeroLab Nooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because I suffer some problems in the vision, I bought a Nook Simple Touch to perform some of the functions performed with my asus transformer but with an electronic ink display. I must say I'm quite satisfied with its functionalty, but despite having to severely limit my hours in front of screens, I could not resist to modify the kernel.

The kernel adds frequencies of 1GHz and 1.1GHz, besides being modified to compile using gcc 4.7 from Linaro. I've also changed some compilation options.
    The kernel includes the modifications for multitouch.

Attached the patch for the original source code 1.1 and my build.
    Don't forget to rename the uImage.img to uImage (renamed it to allow the uploading)

Since version 2, the kernel support the normal and glow versions.

REMOVED temporarily
    New version of FastMode.apk written by me.
    Works on FW 1.2.x.
    No one else wanted to do this, so I have learned something new and created my first android apk.
    You can thank me later.
    New version with a new fast display mode

I've been testing the epaper's driver, both to see how it work and to testing if I could get something new.

I added a parameter (/ sys/devices/platform/omap3epfb.0/graphics/fb0/fmode) that can enable a new fast mode.

By default starts at 0, so it works very much as always (although I modified some behavior, I have to do more tests), and if we put it to 1 enables a new faster mode.

To not extend much (and avoid being too much in front of the computer screen), I recorded a video showing the new mode, and also put a couple of images to compare the normal mode with the new one.

I have also created a small program that will allow us to switch between the two modes (I use the Reading now button for it)

Hope you are interested.

I compiled the latest version with usbhost patch and I've put a ramdisk that I think should work with all versions (glow and no glow).
    Also upload the file to install the normal kernel with the same modified ramdisk (the previous failed on glow version).
    Now I'm very short for time and I have not been able to test, but I prefer to upload it, and in case anyone is encouraged to try, please, confirm proper operation so others can use it.

If only need the kernel, you can get it from the boot folder on the zip.
    New version

Apart from some arrangements, I added smartassV2 as new governor, sio as the new io scheduler and veno as tcp congestion control.
    I hope the first thing improves system response, the second improved access to the flash and the third improve somewhat the wifi.
    Anyway, the best way to check is to try and comment the results because not everyone uses it the same way.

As always put the kernel file, uImage.img, to be renamed uImage before installing and a zip file to install all from cwm recovery, this time including a uRamdisk modified to use smartassV2 since boot.