Bump! - Unlock your LG G3 with TWRP! (Verizon)

Search This thread

TCPDump

May 26, 2014
Central US
With this will we be able to flash an unlocked bootloader as well, eventually? It would be nice to ensure that an OTA doesn't tank all this hard work.

acparker18

Aug 2, 2014
Bump Me

Got this working within 5 minutes of reading it. No issues at all and I've already made my first backup, completely formatted /system and restored just the /system partition no problem. I knew the devs working on this phone would get this thing unlocked eventually and you'll all be getting a donation after I find time to sleep now. And to the person asking about whether or not this is a true unlock; it is in the sense that any "bump'd" ROMS can be flashed. The OP says it is not like loki in the fact that you do not need to have matching firmware to flash a ROM, just the matching device model. This seems to imply that different kernels can be flashed which would mean the bootloader is completely unlocked to flash any kernel for any version of android just like other bootloader-unlocked devices. Only time will tell though and hopefully we will have an explanation of this "bumping" process soon as stated in the OP. Regardless, I couldn't be more happy to have a working recovery on this phone to save my sorry ass from dreaded bootloops.

Reactions: Enddo

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439
It worked. Nandroid backup complete. I used rom toolbox to reboot to recovery and it worked fine. Also cleared cache and fixed permissions while at it

Sent from my LG G3

This is what I wondered about immediately upon reading about bump.

So we are confirmed that a simple reboot recovery (gui) option will launch twrp?

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Not that really need to worry about an update, this being Verizon and LG after all, but needless to say one should not take an OTA until it is confirmed that it will not patch Bump.

Reactions: FastKatt317

jamsoolee

Mar 20, 2014
Sacramento
Thank you so much!! Devs you are amazing.
Got this up and running on my VS985 in minutes. So painless and perfect.
Now...

LET THE ROMS FLOW.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Question for you guys... Can this be done using Terminal from the phone or just the true ADB method? Just curious.

- Tapatalked From The G3 -

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
And for those who would like to do this ASAP like me ( since I'm at work ) you can just use this Terminal Emulator easily since it has the ability to PASTE those commands in.
46f6aedfe4b82529f58184a63a35c9b4.jpg

Not all Terminal apps had that option from my experience.

- Tapatalked From The G3 -

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

We're back again, and have something great to post for everyone!

kfYiLOz.png

What is this?

Glad you asked!
    This is a followup to Stump ( http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/orig-development/root-stump-root-lg-g3-sprint-verizon-t2850906 ) that allows you to flash Bump'd boot images to your LG G3.

But wait? I thought you said this is an unlock?!
    It is! You can flash anything that's been Bump'd, and Bump'ing a boot image is easy to do, and I'll put a post on XDA on how to do that in a week or so once I have all the details finalized.
    Most ROMs you'll want to download will be pre-Bump'd, so as an end user there's nothing you need to worry about.

Is this similar to Loki?
    No, you will not need to ensure your firmware version matches exactly with the ROM you have. You will only need to make sure that the ROM you downloaded is compatible with your carrier.

What carriers is this compatible with?
    This is compatible with all LG G3 variants. Look for a post in your XDA subforum with Bump to download. If the download link does not have your model in it (i.e. for ATT you'd download a D850 image), then make sure you're downloading from the correct forum post.

How do I use this?

Prerequisites:
    • You must be rooted for this to work! Any root method that works for your device will work.
    • A working ADB installation and familiarity with it. This thread is NOT the place to post questions about how to install/use ADB. Posts asking such questions will be deleted.

Instructions:
    1. Download the file linked below to your computer
    2. Set your phone to Ethernet (needed for VZW!) mode, and copy the downloaded file to your phone's INTERNAL SD Card
    3. Open a command prompt window on your computer, and run these commands one at a time (YOU WILL GET AN 'out of space' ERROR ON THE ZERO PART, IGNORE IT!) - copy and paste them if you must :
      Code:
      adb shell
      su
      dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
      dd if=/sdcard/twrp-2.8.0.0_vs985-signed.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Easy, right? You can now get into recovery as follows:
    1. Power off the phone, and unplug USB
    2. Hold Volume Down + Power
    3. Continue holding both Volume Down and Power until you see the LG logo, then the "System Recovery" screen (if you have Bump installed, it won't erase your data, don't worry!) This is different for VZW, no need to release power button!
    4. Press Volume Down and then power to select "Factory Data Reset"
    5. Press Volume Down, then Power to confirm
    6. Congrats!

Who made this?

Bump would not be possible without the help and support of many people.
    Please consider donating something to the people listed below to help them to continue to support your LG phone and to show your appreciation of all the hours they've put into this awesome unlock!
    • @thecubed - Paypal Donate - That'd be weird if I wrote something nice about myself here
    • @IllegalArgument - Paypal Donate - Special thanks here, IllegalArgument really helped out and brought us across the finish line here. It's safe to say that we have the unlock today because of him - show him some love!
    • @autoprime - Paypal Donate - Generally awesome. Always helpful, always willing to test things, and a great guy to have on the team!
    • @Shelnutt2 - Paypal Donate - Lots of reversing work, super smart - another awesome member of the team!
    • @AnimatronicRocketReptile - Paypal Donate - Crypto help, thanks!
    • @Dees_Troy - Paypal Donate - For building all these TWRP images for us, thanks so much!

Your donations help us continue bringing you great mods for your phones, thanks to everyone who has already donated and to those who have pledged to do so!

Where do I download this?

You can download the latest version of TWRP that's been Bump'd from this URL:
    Code:
    [URL="http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lg_g3/bump/twrp-2.8.0.0_vs985-signed.img"]http://downloads.codefi.re/thecubed/lg_g3/bump/twrp-2.8.0.0_vs985-signed.img[/URL]

DO NOT MIRROR these links, and NO, you may NOT include this in any toolkits. I will hunt you down and stare at you until you feel bad about yourself if you do.
    This includes news outlets - DO NOT mirror these files. Please use the link as it is above.

Help! I have questions!

Come on over to #lg-g3 on Freenode IRC and ask your question, someone should be able to help you!
    DO NOT private message me asking for help on IRC or on XDA, I will ignore you!
    Bump! site release tomorrow (Monday morning) - rejoice peoples, custom ROMs are almost here!

AOSP for select devices is already staged and ready for general use too! Don't worry, we haven't abandoned you all - we've been hard at work behind the scenes despite all the raging over here ;)

For now, I'm off to bed so I can be around tomorrow first thing in the morning for a release thread.
    I'm not sure exactly how this method works, but I do have a couple of guesses..
    First of all, THANK YOU to the devs behind this as I do realize it was a group effort..
    I truly feel like you guys should be stacking money left & right from those unlock bounties ... Like everyone should be required to pay half their unlock pledge seeing as how this IS a work-around/semi-unlock...

I know the devs didn't ask my opinion, but I hope y'all are open minded enough to hear it... First of all, not to take away from your work, but I feel it should be made more clearly that this isn't a true unlock on the bootloader ... I found out about this from a google now headline that read "Unlock your LG G3 and flash TWRP recovery ALL variants"... It was a little misleading and don't get me wrong, I'm not one bit disappointed but rather 100% enthused about this. Yes, it's true that everyone should read every little detail when it comes to anything rooting/modding/unlocking, but this is XDA and we all know people don't read everything like they should... My fear is people will flash this with the belief they have total flashing control over their devices partitions (which they KIND of do), but they'll end up with bricked devices if they try to flash any insecure images. For instance, say I install this recovery with the impression that I'm unlocked or even I understand I'm not truly unlocked but I still feel like I can flash a Tmobile ROM because I know although I'm not unlocked I do have a working recovery so therefore surely I can flash some roms... People are going to make that mistake... When they do that, they're gonna hit a major wall with getting back to stock because they'll flash a new kernel in that ROM that does not match the VS985's kernel signing keys... So then they have to use LG flash tool to go back stock and then even that won't work because they've flashed a d851 build prop over that vs985 build prop and so flash tool will always throw you a cross download error and they'll be stuck with an unfixable brick UNLESS they can get into TWRP and restore a stock backup with the stock boot image that they made prior (hopefully) ... But I dont even see this as possible because once you brick your phone with an insecure image, it won't boot past the LG screen... Even if you power+volume down to get to the boot screen to Factory Reset the phone, that's not going to take you to twrp, its going to trip the LAF partition to Factory Reset through MiniOS so as I see it, you'll be bricked without a way out... I realize this is a lot to read but its important information I feel like people need to know.. I think the reason the devs stress the "this is entirely different from Loki" thing is because they know Loki is a bypass that allows insecure flashing... This however does not and will require every kernel and every recovery to be "Bumped" to accomodate the variation of the device. I feel like the devs have accomplished a lot with this... But people do need to be informed of the mechanism that this works on solely to protect or recover their devices from bricking. I'm not saying we deserve their source code or anything, but definitely more insight into how this works... My guess is that it's all in the key signing... They've either bypassed key signing in some way for flashing partitions or they've replicated the signing keys in the stock image... I'm thinking it's the latter of two, so the bootloader is tricked into flashing a properly signed image and then its implemented into one of the G3s extra partitions but somehow set to default as the original location of the "mirrored" stock image... In other words, this doesn't overwrite your stock recovery but rather lay over it so to speak but is stored in a different partition.. If this is true then think of this as a reverse engineered Loki... Whereas Loki bypasses the stock bootloaders security checks entirely, this plays on the stock bootloaders security by incorporating modified images like kernels and recoveries with properly signed keys so that it thinks you're flashing stock LG partitions... If that's the case, that's a lot more work for the devs, and all the more reason to DONATE... But that is solely my guess so please take it for the pure speculation that it is.

I hope all the devs feel appreciated and realize that I'm not complaining in any way. I am grateful... I just want people to keep their devices in a working state and not end up with an overpriced brick. This is truly the best advancement made in development thus far for this line of phones... Having a working recovery to flash mods with the ability to restore a working backup is just pure bliss.

Hi there,

You're perfectly fine to have an opinion, and I'm glad you phrased it as such - it's not offensive at all what you have to say. However, I don't necessarily agree with everything you've written though.

1. Yes, this is a true unlock. There is no other unlock mechanism on these phones. This is not a work-around, and calling it as such implies that there is any alternate method to use.
    2. As for bricking, unfortunately we can't be held responsible for people that haven't done the legwork to verify that what they're doing is safe. We (Team Codefire) never released any mods for the G3 variants that were not unlocked in an effort to do our side of the responsibility to not make it easy for people to accidentally brick their phones. Now that recovery is released, if the end user does not ensure that TWRP functions on their device and ends up getting it in a state where the stock rom does not boot - this is 100% their problem as we were careful to ensure that all the information an informed user needs to make this work on their phones is out there.
    2a. Regarding CrossDL, we actually will have a workaround for that here soon. As long as people don't touch their LAF or Factory partitions we can unbrick them from almost anything short of them editing sbl/rpm/tz partitions (which nobody should ever be doing!)
    jLIc8NKl.png

Shelnutt2 is awesome, he's been working hard to get our Bump! site up quickly.
    I'm working on the cmdline API too.