$649...

Search This thread

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
I think the $650 price tag off contract is to help push the subsidized phone through the carrier. I believe that was the only way to get AT&T and Verizon on board in the US. It's hard to sell a phone $200 on contract when you can by it for $350 off contract. I think this phone will sit at $650 for about 6 months then drop to $500 or less in the Play Store.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

donnyp1

May 7, 2008
Wichita
Just saw TV commercial for android during Thursday night football featuring nexus products and the google watch. They are going to push this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

LNJ

Oct 7, 2007
You know if the N6 came with the 64bit K1 or SD 810, I wouldn't complain and pay the asking price. Kinda hard to stomach a last of its kind 32bit chipset at such a high price point when you know 808 and 810 will roll out soon...

HTC One M8

Reactions: 1ceb0x

Mordar

Sep 11, 2012

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
any high end android phone is better than an iphone tho

actually no, the nexus 5 was the lesser priced of the high end phones last year, and that was made it appealing

You got that right. I can't wait for the nexus 6 to drop on VZW otherwise I was going to jump ship

Sent from CM11 S3 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010
any high end android phone is better than an iphone tho

actually no, the nexus 5 was the lesser priced of the high end phones last year, and that was made it appealing

So the Nexus One and Nexus S weren't expensive for their time? I mean, the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 5 were all relatively cheap compared to similar phones on the market.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
Wow, I was maybe considering a N6 to replace my N5 vs waiting for the Galaxy S6 early next year, but with this $650 price tag, NO Thanks! I will wait and pay the same, or a tiny bit more for the S6 with probably better specs! I really like my N5, but for them to almost double the price, no thanks...Im out :mad:

Like someone said, maybe this has to do with the phone carriers and the subsidy thing, but I am with TMOB, so I can BYOD, so buying a phone outright was going to be my best option. I guess I can think about the S6 early next year now... :cool:

DirgeExtinction

Sep 24, 2010
Wow, I was maybe considering a N6 to replace my N5 vs waiting for the Galaxy S6 early next year, but with this $650 price tag, NO Thanks! I will wait and pay the same, or a tiny bit more for the S6 with probably better specs! I really like my N5, but for them to almost double the price, no thanks...Im out :mad:

Like someone said, maybe this has to do with the phone carriers and the subsidy thing, but I am with TMOB, so I can BYOD, so buying a phone outright was going to be my best option. I guess I can think about the S6 early next year now... :cool:

So you didn't get a Nexus for the stock Android/direct-from-Google updates, but for the price?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012

I'm up for renewal in june on big red and it's the one saving grace that we are getting the nexus 6. I can't wait for it and I'll save my money to get it also

From my CM11 S3

hakaida

Apr 15, 2014
Las Vegas
Google Pixel 7 Pro
If there's a verizon version then I will still buy it. My girlfriend is still using her galaxy nexus and I would buy this and give her my moto x (2013). With the current moto x locked on verizon I do not have too many choices if I want a great android phone that can be rooted.

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
If there's a verizon version then I will still buy it. My girlfriend is still using her galaxy nexus and I would buy this and give her my moto x (2013). With the current moto x locked on verizon I do not have too many choices if I want a great android phone that can be rooted.

Yup its been confirmed all the major carriers are getting the new nexus including big red. Me personally I want an easy to root phone myself and the bootloader unlock is essential at least to me. With the nexus device it's no big deal but that thing will be one nice phone

From my CM11 S3

banshee28

Aug 31, 2010
So you didn't get a Nexus for the stock Android/direct-from-Google updates, but for the price?

Yes, that was one reason why I opted for the N5! However price is also part of the equation. Since I normally root and install a custom ROM, I am ok with another brand as long as its popular and has good support for ROMS which the Galaxy series does. I had a S2 for a while and it was great!

ggreenwood334

This does hurt. Part of buying a nexus every year was I could sell my phone on eBay about this time and pay just a few bucks to have the newest one. Now I need like a nexus 5 and an m8. And my tablet to outright buy one. Ha. Bit I will get it anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
This does hurt. Part of buying a nexus every year was I could sell my phone on eBay about this time and pay just a few bucks to have the newest one. Now I need like a nexus 5 and an m8. And my tablet to outright buy one. Ha. Bit I will get it anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Same here but selling my S3 won't help with the cost. I just plan on saving my money until then

From my CM11 S3

Jfree3000

Jul 20, 2010
Metro Atlanta
I just feel they went too big with the phone. I was looking forward to this phone coming from a note 3 but when I found out this was bigger than the note 3, it was a no go.

I was also hoping they would bring back sd slots (praying actually) but having 64gb as a max at this price was a let down. Might consider if they offered a 128gb model.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Honestly don't understand you people complaining about price. Sure, the nexus line distinguished itself by offering mostly flagship specs for cheap, which also entailed compromises like a subpar camera, average battery life, and less than stellar build quality. Now, you see a $649 price tag, and before you've even seen a review or any real life usage, you're complaining that the price is too high, not that Google may have teamed up with Motorola because of the awesome work they've done in the past year for android, and for finally delivering a premium device that has a matching premium price. For all the spec whores, there isn't a single device more powerful for equivalent price. For those that appreciate software, one: it's a nexus, and two: take a look at what Motorola has done with the X in the past year, and know that you're getting a premium experience in terms of software and hardware harmony (it is no joke that the X is referred to as the iPhone of the Android world, because software is so optimized on it). Finally, if you still find a reason to complain about a $649 premium device, buy the Moto X second generation for $499, customize to your heart's delight, and know that you will receive updates just as fast, and a software experience just as clean (I would argue that the Moto additions are truly useful features that I can't live without, now that I've used it in the past year). And for those who find a $499 customizable phone too expensive, there's the $349 nexus 5 which will continue to be sold, and will continue to be just as good (if not better) for those who have liked it and use it daily.

So, lets recap:

Nexus 6 - $649 - premium device, premium phablet, whichever way you choose to look at it
    Moto X 2nd Gen - $499 - The equivalent of a new non-phablet nexus, with the added option to customize (is the way I look at it)
    Nexus 5 - $349 - Same phone as last year, made better by Android 5.0
    Moto G 2nd Gen - $199 - Guaranteed to get updated to Android 5.0, and runs equally stock software as the X.
    Moto E - $129 - Honestly, go look at what else is being peddled for that price, and then look at what the E is offering. Also, guaranteed to get Android 5.0. Which other phone that costs $129 will get 5.0? Food for thought.

And yet, there will still be more complaining, more people who want Google or Motorola to "fail" so that it teaches them a "lesson", and more people who will find something to kvetch about price.

Sigh, internet.
    This thread was never a question of who can afford it.. It's overpriced that's the only point I was stating.

Overprice in what way, exactly? In comparison to the Nexus 5? Of course it's overpriced compared to that. The phones were/are in completely different leagues. The Nexus 5 was built based on the LG G2 (which was released with an off-contract price of around $600-630. It also took a hit, spec wise, on nearly every account:

Slightly smaller screen (4.95" compared to the G2's 5.2")
    Poorer sound quality (G2 featured Dolby mobile sound enhancement, and i have to admit, the sound quality with the headphone jack isn't the greatest on the N5)
    No IR Blaster, like the G2 has
    8 MP/1.3 MP front/rear camera (compared to the G2's 13 MP/2.1 MP shooters)
    could only shoot 1080p at 30fps, as opposed to the G2 doing so at 60fps (it's FFC could do 1080p @ 30fps)
    no FM receiver
    2,300 mAH battery (compared to the G2's 3,000 mAH battery)

That's quite a hit in specs between the two.... which pretty much justified the $350 price point. I mean really.... there basically isn't anything in regards to the Nexus 5 that was an improvement over the G2, aside from running pure, unskinned Android.

Now you have people saying "EEW, the Nexus 6 is SOOO overpriced! It should be cheap like the other Nexus's." Why? Have you looked at the specs? Have you compared them with anything? Or are you just assuming that just because the N5/N4 were around the $350 price point, that ALL Nexus devices should be around the same price point? If you were observant, you'd have noticed that the Nexus 6, while built by Motorola, is damn-near a clone of the Galaxy Note 4. Not even joking about that. You want to see how extensive the list of differences are between the Nexus 6 and Note 4?

Nexus 6 Pluses -
    5.96" screen (Compared to the Note 4's 5.7" screen..... yep... that's right... the Nexus 6 has a BIGGER screen, while being only slightly larger physically than the Note 4)
    Stereo front-facing speakers (Note 4 don't have that)
    Water Resistant (Not on the Note 4 either, according to GSMArena)

Note 4 Pluses -
    16 MP/3.7 MP front/rear cameras (Nexus 6 uses a 13 MP/2 MP camera setup, and both the Note 4 and Nexus 6 feature OIS)
    IR Blaster

And to be quite honest.... unless you find a microSD card slot necessary (when you can just as easily (and probably more cheaply) buy a USB-OTG flash drive, or use the plethora of online storage/streaming options we now have available), or ever plan on bragging to people about how cool your Fingerprint reader (which from what I've read can be a royal pain to get to work properly) or your S Pen stylus is (which you'll probably only really use in those "Look how cool my phone is" moments).... that's about the only two things the Note 4 has that's better than the Nexus 6 in comparison. They use the same size battery, same resolution display, same recording capabilities, same chipset/CPU/GPU used, same amount of RAM.... pretty much the same everything.

If you still think the Nexus 6, priced at $650, is overpriced when compared to the Note 4, which is priced at $829 off-contract..... i feel sorry for you.
    You are the naive type that fuels the manufacturers to continue to think that these prices are okay and to further raise prices. So keep at it.

I believe you are mistaken sir, its called I have a great career, no debt very few expenses and thus disposable income to spare. To presume to think you know my "type" without ever meeting me is very amusing to say the least.

however if my position in life qualifies me as being naive im cool with it because I have a great life. I don't need to complain about what things cost, hardly my fault if you are not in the same boat.

I dont look down on people who are not as fortunate as myself, but I also would not expect to be told im naive because of it (especially from a fellow canuck) that shows poor taste on your part even though it did make me laugh.

You have your view, i have mine the only difference is i have some respect for my fellow xda members.

Not enough of that here lately.

Regardless of the price im very much looking forward to getting my 3rd nexus device!

Baron, good to see you here..picking up a nexus?

sent from Canada via my Note 3, Note 2 or One X+
    *sigh*..... why did i bother even trying to reply to your previous delusion. And on that note... why the hell am i even bothering to reply to this one?

In what way did i DIRECTLY compare the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6? YOU'RE doing that more than i did. You're saying the Nexus 6 is overpriced because the Nexus 5 was only $350. THAT is a direct comparison. Me saying that the Nexus 6 is more of a flagship than the Nexus 5 ever was is NOT comparing 5 to 6. It's comparing phones around the time of the nexus 5, to phones today (around the nexus 6).

Long story short.... YES, the hardware that's crammed into the phone has an impact on the price, and expecting anything else is absurd. You can't expect a phone like the Nexus 6, that's primary target group was aimed straight at those who'd be looking at a phone like the Note 4, to be sold dirt cheap like the Nexus 5 was, because their targeted markets as well as their TARGET SPECS are in completely different leagues.

Absolutely.

Nexus 5: budget device
    Nexus 6: flagship device

Price is reflected accordingly

They are keeping the n5 avail for people who can't afford the nexus 6 which is great since people can still get a nexus device.

That said its getting annoying all the people now who want the nexus 6 but cant afford it then cry its not the same price as the 5.
    Either save up to buy it or stop whining and crying, its not a budget device, wasnt built to be a budget device and isnt going to be sold as a budget device.

Get over it.

sent from Canada via my Note 3, Note 2 or One X+
    I'm not sure whether people are stupid or just have short memories:

Nexus One - High end phone, no compromises, high end price tag
    Nexus S - High end phone, no compromises, high end price tag
    Galaxy Nexus - High end phone, few compromises, high end price tag, later reduced to a lower price
    Nexus 4 - High end phone, with compromises (battery, camera etc), medium price
    Nexus 5 - High end phone, with compromises (battery, camera, horrendous viewing angles), medium price
    Nexus 6 - High end phone, no compromises, high end price tag

If they build a high end phone , they charge a high end price. They're a business at the end of the day, or did you forget that? They haven't always been cheap!!

I can understand the disappointment over the screen size but good lord if it's too expensive for you I'm sure there's lots of cut price Nexus 5's you can get on ebay.