Google Nexus 6 - What do you think?

Search This thread

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
Right, and then you pay a monthly fee for the phone, for a certain number of months, correct?

What this is doing is removing the subsidy from your plan, and instead having you pay full price for the phone separately.

Like I said, I don't know VZW's plan structure, but I assume they have something where you bring your own phone, have no contract, and the plan is cheaper? Or is that what the edge plans are?

Yea they do like I mentioned in the last post where I did the math. You can pay $50 with unlimited text and data and 2gb vs $90 or $100 with taxes for the same thing while subsidizing the phone.

Now they just moved to charging you a device fee and letting you upgrade as long as 60% of the phone is paid off..but again another device fee.

So if you keep the phone two years and then keep it after two years thats when the device fee goes away.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Jeimygirl

Mar 25, 2010
Jax
It was always there in the past. Nobody really talked about it until T-Mobile made the move to not subsidize phones anymore, and no contract. They now offer a structured payment plan instead.

Basically, on the old system, you were paying a subsidy in your monthly plan price, and it never went away. This is exactly why VZW would only let you upgrade every 2 years. They needed you to be locked into that two year deal so they got the rest of the money for the phone. If you kept the same phone for more than two years, you were basically screwing yourself.

Now, you can buy a phone on a payment plan or outright, not sign a contract, and have your bill less every month then it would have been in the old system.

Not always.

I've had Tmobile for 9+ years or so. For the past 6 years I've been paying $150 unlimited everything on 5 lines whether I got a subsidized phone or not. I've gotten about 20+ brand new "newest" phones out there and never paid extra. nothing was "hidden". I got my N5's from Google play, still pay $150 a month. It all depends on the plan you have, mine is all grandfathered so every time I got a new phone, nothing changed. and will only paid $0-$200 a phone TOTAL.

But as of about a year ago T-Mobile no longer does contract options for subsidized phones. So now I pay the same $150 and now have ot pay full cost for phones, whether up front or over 24 months.

No other company would ever be able to give me 5 branch new phones every 2 years and keep my bill st $150 for unlimited everything (internet isn't even throttled, ever)

Schoat333

Sep 3, 2010
NE Ohio
Not always.

I've had Tmobile for 9+ years or so. For the past 6 years I've been paying $150 unlimited everything on 5 lines whether I got a subsidized phone or not. I've gotten about 20+ brand new "newest" phones out there and never paid extra. nothing was "hidden". I got my N5's from Google play, still pay $150 a month. It all depends on the plan you have, mine is all grandfathered so every time I got a new phone, nothing changed. and will only paid $0-$200 a phone TOTAL.

But as of about a year ago T-Mobile no longer does contract options for subsidized phones. So now I pay the same $150 and now have ot pay full cost for phones, whether up front or over 24 months.

No other company would ever be able to give me 5 branch new phones every 2 years and keep my bill st $150 for unlimited everything (internet isn't even throttled, ever)

As we have gone back an forth on in another thread, you have a special plan that is grandfathered. This is not available to people now.

Your best bet is always going to be buy the phone outright or on a payment plan. Otherwise, you will be paying a lot more monthly.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
So after talking to Verizon, If I bring my own phone, I get a $15 discount on my monthly plan. So calculating a 2 year deal, with the $699 64gb phone, as long as the phone, on subsadized contract with Verizon is under $340, it's a better deal for me to go that way.

Yea which is what most people will do. I hate contracts and don't want to be locked into one. Either way you are paying the same amount or so no company is going to give you a $650 phone for $199 scot free.

VOLTAGEROCK

May 10, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't want Google or Apple to have my fingerprint at all.

I used my knuckle print on my friend's iphone and it worked perfect. So u can sure enough not use finger prints. Put it this way, any where you have skin that protrudes, u can use it!

I wish my n5 had the scanner. Now that the n6 does not, there goes another reason not to get it. Obviously the size is the biggest issue, pun intended or maybe the pun isn't intended....

Sent from my wondrous Nexus numeral 5

Schoat333

Sep 3, 2010
NE Ohio
So after talking to Verizon, If I bring my own phone, I get a $15 discount on my monthly plan. So calculating a 2 year deal, with the $699 64gb phone, as long as the phone, on subsadized contract with Verizon is under $340, it's a better deal for me to go that way.

Just looking at the iPhone 6 for an example, you pay 0 down and $27 per month, on top of your $45 plan, for 24 months. that ends up being $648. Basically full price for the phone. I would expect the same for the Nexus 6, if you buy it through VZW.

The payment benefit is nice, but who knows when it will be available at VZW stores.

Last edited:

Xernoxis

Jun 6, 2012
Akershus
Why would you even buy it on contract if you don't save any money.. They lock you down for x years in exchange for some discount. At least here in Norway. You might get ripped off in the US, but here we can easily save 200$ by buying a 1 year contract. Yes I've done the math several times.

You need a plan if you buy it off contract too so why not just buy it together and save some money.

dtroup64

Why would you even buy it on contract if you don't save any money.. They lock you down for x years in exchange for some discount. At least here in Norway. You might get ripped off in the US, but here we can easily save 200$ by buying a 1 year contract. Yes I've done the math several times.

You need a plan if you buy it off contract too so why not just buy it together and save some money.

I do save money by buying on contract. Depending on the price of the phone on contract, I'd probably save $50 over the life of the two year contract, or $2 per month. I'd rather be contract free at that point, in case something better comes along somewhere else.

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I do save money by buying on contract. Depending on the price of the phone on contract, I'd probably save $50 over the life of the two year contract, or $2 per month. I'd rather be contract free at that point, in case something better comes along somewhere else.

Yea you are saving a few bucks on the data side. But since you have 2 lines anyway, you would have to continue paying the same amount until the second line was no longer subsidized. Otherwise that discount goes away. So I agree for you it would not make sense buying it off contract unless your second line is also no longer on contract.

In the end you are still paying full price for the phone itself if you are on the edge share plan, because of the device fee.

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
Yea which is what most people will do. I hate contracts and don't want to be locked into one. Either way you are paying the same amount or so no company is going to give you a $650 phone for $199 scot free.

I wonder how family plans play into all of this. I have an upgrade on my line (one of four), but could go individual like if it was cheaper.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

selayan

Jun 15, 2011
www.android-edge.com
I wonder how family plans play into all of this. I have an upgrade on my line (one of four), but could go individual like if it was cheaper.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

Well on the new plans Verizon and att give family plans discounts on data and additional phones added. For example you stay on contract and pay the same amount and if you add another phone they up your data cap or they may just up your data if all of them are smart phones.

Going individual yourself you would just go with the $50 single plan for pay as you go or whatever else it costs if you want more than 2gb.

Your 3 other phones would still be in a family plan so they could still keep their family share data and that would just remove you as one of the additional devices charged for on the plan. But I would check because these new plans are confusing.

Coronado is dead

Dec 24, 2010
Well on the new plans Verizon and att give family plans discounts on data and additional phones added. For example you stay on contract and pay the same amount and if you add another phone they up your data cap or they may just up your data if all of them are smart phones.

Going individual yourself you would just go with the $50 single plan for pay as you go or whatever else it costs if you want more than 2gb.

Your 3 other phones would still be in a family plan so they could still keep their family share data and that would just remove you as one of the additional devices charged for on the plan. But I would check because these new plans are confusing.

Yeah, looks like it would be cheaper to just stay in the family plan if I still want 2GB of data. Thanks!

viniciusrsouza

Apr 20, 2008
Rio de Janeiro
I really would like so much to see someone using it over a table, for example. I never used a curved back device and with all my Note phones I always catch me using it over the table texting something, browsing another thing, just as a phablet.

I imagine that probably it's a pain to type something when you are busy and just need to type something fast without picking the device from the table. That curved back probably makes it bounce left and right... =/

But I so sure my Galaxy Note days are almost over. Nexus 6 will be my next device, no matter how the back part is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If the N6 is going to be the first Nexus with 64 processor and OS, then Google please call it N64, that would be awesome :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Honestly, if the new nexus doesnt have atleast have a 780ti equivalent gpu, it will fail, it better have atleast 12gbs of ram with a 32 inch screen. and if it doesnt make me smoothies, ill pass
    Will it be called Nexus 6 ? The number represent the screen.

Not sure that google will make a 6" phone. Maybe it'll be like the Nexus 7 ? A 2014 version of Nexus 5 ?

I would reply to this..but typing is a **** on my Nexus One.
    Spec wise, not on the OS end.
    Oh you mean fancy names that generally don't mean anything?
    1Gig
    Dual core
    Same 8mp camera
    Now a bigger phone which Apple mockingly talked about Samsung in their last keynote, said they would never upsize but now offer a 5.5 inch phone with the same specs as the 4.7 phone??

Or did you mean the same 16-32 storage with that ridiculous price tag for a 2 year lockdown?

Nah Google is fine. Believe me.

b2c2fea4253e19b03bff2d7e914eb680.jpg

[emoji24] [emoji24] [emoji24]
    Honestly if this size crying does not stop I might be tempted to make another N6 thread for actual discussion on the technology and the software. Not an bloody echo chamber about how its too big for them.

Hell with the amount of complaining about size you would think this would be something that was going to be forced into everyone's anal cavity, Not a mobile device. Its absolutely absurd the amount of *****ing is taking place here.

Can we just have a goddamn civil discussion on the Nexus 6 without having to ***** on the size? Please?!?