• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

Pafcholini

Sep 1, 2012
Barcelona
plus.google.com
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=56575711&postcount=7
friedrich420 is building for the same device. It may be good to make friends.
Thank you very much twistedumbrella. Now I understand everything. Regards.
Ah yes, I was where you were Pafcholini. What twistedumbrella fails to mention is that he has also awesomely provided everything you need to build the kernel, at least for OS X users. :good: Clone his build-tools repo, then just look at his scripts in the kernel repo, including the ones in buildimg/ and you'll quickly see what needs to be done to make your kernel boot. If you're on another OS you might need different build tools, but they should be easy to find elsewhere. Also, if you're on OS X, he also has a repo for the 4.7 toolchain on his github.

And some advice: many tutorials for other devices will tell you to point the input of dtbtool to arch/arm/boot/ but this kernel needs arch/arm/boot/dts (or out/arch/arm/dts if you're using an output directory).
Ffolkes thanks for the tips. Btw, nice to see you in this forum.

Powered by ET

Reactions: ffolkes
Feb 22, 2011
South Bend
Hear ye! Hear me!

That was unnecessary, BUT the new versions are being compiled that have both hardlimit AND other frequencies working. Hardlimit has been neutered in some sense. The capability to set limits and have them abided by for the screen, boost, etc is there. Some CPU checks that lead to the deep sleep issue and do not appear to serve a real purpose have been disabled. They can be reenabled using a flashy new sysfs, but you will most likely get your device stuck in sleep if you do.
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/hardlimit_user_enforced
The issue, for those of you interested, was
https://github.com/StarKissed/starkissed-deported/commit/6d40405549a70bd612470b043a1e71227b5286ae
and enabling functionality involved doing
https://github.com/StarKissed/starkissed-deported/commit/738162dd1d654e1566a12577215c71e6c6aa3ece

Are the hardlimit screen off and screen on frequencies still reversed?

Out of curiosity, why is overclocking limited to 2.8 GHz? Just wondering.
The stock kernel is 2.7, the stock source is only 2.5, so 2.8 seemed to still be within safe operating range. Also the voltage tables were a bit high towards the top so they still supported the frequency, but going any higher would mean making up new voltages. That is a whole new instability.

twe90kid

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm I set a max at 2496, but seems like setcpu shows the phone going beyond the max (for example showing 2800).
Is this suppose to happen? I'm on today's t-mobile build.

also had a random reboot which did not boot into homescreen.
Had to do a battery pull and boot into recovery and then boot into system.

Last edited:
Pushing out yet another update shortly. The changes weren't part of the last one in case they went south.
Lowered some of the higher and lower end voltages. Reworked hardlimit a little further. Cleaned up from all of the recent hoopla.
The changes are mainly in the 1.9 to 2.5 range and so far haven't caused any reboots. The DTSI commit is the one for voltages.

Folks seemed to have missed the statement that this kernel is in testing/development stage. If you cannot handle bugs and don't have great backup in case the worst case scenario occurs, you probably shouldn't be testing. TwistedUmbrella keep up the good work.

I think most people expect a middle finger when someone says to check the Q & A (probably because I hear devs treat it like being exiled). Mine is an index finger, as in "please go there so I can keep the people trying to build separate from the people trying to do stuff on the phone"

Reactions: djxcee

raw2000j

Aug 3, 2007
Works great only problem I have is in Micellanious on faux clock keeps resetting to Hybrid when i want to enable userspace.It works i just have to keep selecting it on reboot.All settings save except this one I have to manually keep changing.
ff2325d65c58b5f49000d1c8392e0f1b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Herk718

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
I think it's a problem with fauxclock because I had the same issue on my Xperia ZL.
Enable it through sys, reboot, see if it sticks, if not then you'll know where the problem lies in. Although that probably wouldn't be constant either. but wgaf, just re enable it after a boot. Big deal

Last edited:
Part of the reason for trying to send everyone off to question and answer threads is that more room needed to be freed up here to get others building custom kernels.
Lack of selection, kernel issues caused by injecting foreign versions into local builds, and many other issues can be easily solved if developers had the tools and information to build a kernel that fit the desired purpose.
Sure it is fun being THE custom kernel in North America, but I don't keep my source current to the minute because xda demands it. I do it because my progress is everyone's progress.

FocuseD83

Nov 1, 2010
Atlanta
Part of the reason for trying to send everyone off to question and answer threads is that more room needed to be freed up here to get others building custom kernels.
Lack of selection, kernel issues caused by injecting foreign versions into local builds, and many other issues can be easily solved if developers had the tools and information to build a kernel that fit the desired purpose.
Sure it is fun being THE custom kernel in North America, but I don't keep my source current to the minute because xda demands it. I do it because my progress is everyone's progress.

I just want to say thanks for all of your hard work. I love having a custom kernel and am thankful that you have started the process. I know other developers will follow suit but I really like where this project is going.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

friedrich420

Dec 25, 2011
The Land of Whatever

You are one of a kind seriously!! Its unreal!!

Reactions: twistedumbrella

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to the first custom kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4.​
    Providing instability to the masses since October 21, 2014

This kernel currently supports most North American carriers. Automatic selection is provided through the use of specialized recovery packages that will detect your device version and make appropriate adjustments.

Mereology (from the Greek μερος, ‘part’) is the theory of parthood relations: of the relations of part to whole and the relations of part to part within a whole. I do not take responsibility for anything these days, but I'll try to do my part and help.

Installing N910T ROMs on N910W8
    1. Start with NJ3 stock firmware
    2. Odin Flash CF-AutoRoot
    3. Odin Flash TWRP
    4. Make a full backup
    5. Wipe system, data, cache, dalvik-cache
    6. Install N910T Rom
    7. Reboot System
    8. Reboot Recovery
    9. Install Stockish / Deported
    10. Reboot System
    11. Thank force70 for the guide

Known Issues:
    DVFS set to ignore and secure storage disabled often resolve the lag. If you need either of these, stock / stockish are required.

Warning: I only have the T-Mobile version of the Galaxy Note 4

XDA:DevDB Information
    StarKissed [ATT, CAN, TMO, USC, VZW], Kernel for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Contributors
    twistedumbrella
    Source Code: http://github.com/StarKissed/starkissed-kernel-trlte

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2014-11-07
    Last Updated 2015-01-22
    [Kernel] StarKissed [ATT, CAN, SPR, USC, TMO, VZW]

No mirrors please. Updates are posted 1 - 3 times per day.
    Check the StarKissed website for compile info (not downloads)

Recovery Packages [Goo]
    http://goo.im/devs/playground/galaxynote4/

Kernel source
    http://github.com/StarKissed/starkissed-kernel-trlte

Retrieving a Kernel Log:
    Code:
    cat /proc/last_kmsg /sdcard/kernel_log.txt

SELinux Prerequisites:
    The build.prop WILL override the kernel. It needs to be edited to match the desired settings.
    Code:
    (SELinux disable)
    ro.build.selinux=0

(KNOX disable)
    ro.config.tima=0
    ro.config.knox=0

Potentially Inactive:

Potentially Unsafe:
    pegasusQ

Features / Interfaces:

Linux 3.10.13 Linux 3.10.0
    SELinux permissive
    KNOX disabled
    init.d support
    Overclock to 2.8, Underclock to 268
    Stereo call recording support
    MNDIE Control
    Motorola Memory Utils
    Slimbus Overclock
    Optimistic IPV6
    intelli-plug (with arm64 updates)
    Power Suspend
    Simple GPU gov
    HardLimit
    intelli-thermal v1
    Power Suspend Driver v1.5
    Sweep2Sleep
    Forced Fast Charge v1.2 (+ Wireless Charge Boost)
    Advanced TCP avoidance
    LZ4 compression
    Dynamic FSync
    add'l entropy: frandom, erandom (enabled via init.d)
    add'l filesystems: NTFS, F2FS, CIFS
    io: sio, fifo, zen, vr, bfq, fiops
    gov: lionheart, dancedance, smartmax, pegasusQ, smartassV2, intellidemand, umbrella_core
    CPU optimizations
    Network optimizations
    KNOX root and logging permissions
    TIMA support, but disabled by default
    S-View hack to use any cover

Common Interfaces
    ^ Borrowed from faux123 since many interfaces are MSM universal
    Code:
    cpu governor: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    cpufreq: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
    intelliplug: /sys/module/intelli_plug/parameters/intelli_plug_active
    gpu governor: /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/pwrscale/trustzone/governor
    gpu freq: /sys/class/kgsl/kgsl-3d0/max_gpuclk
    simple GPU gov:: /sys/module/msm_kgsl_core/parameters/simple_laziness
    simple GPU gov: /sys/module/msm_kgsl_core/parameters/simple_ramp_threshold
    io scheduler: /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/scheduler
    io scheduler readahead: /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb
    dynamic fsync: /sys/kernel/dyn_fsync/Dyn_fsync_active
    usb fastcharge: /sys/kernel/fast_charge/force_fast_charge
    intellithermal: /sys/module/msm_thermal/parameters/enabled
    cpu voltage: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/vdd_table/vdd_levels

Power Suspend
    Code:
    /sys/kernel/power_suspend/power_suspend_state
    /sys/kernel/power_suspend/power_suspend_mode (0 - auto, 1 - panel, 2 - userspace, 3- hybrid)

Hardlimit
    Code:
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/scaling_max_freq_screen_on
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/scaling_max_freq_screen_off
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/scaling_min_freq_screen_on
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/scaling_min_freq_screen_off
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/wakeup_kick_freq
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/wakeup_kick_delay
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/touchboost_lo_freq
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/touchboost_hi_freq
    /sys/kernel/cpufreq_hardlimit/userspace_dvfs_lock (0 - allow, 1 - ignore, 2 - refuse)

MNDIE Control
    Code:
    /sys/class/mdnie/mdnie/mode (0 - dynamic, 1 - control, 2 - natural, 3 - movie, 4 - auto)
    /sys/class/mdnie/mdnie/...
    hijack
    curve
    copy_mode
    sharpen
    red_red
    red_green
    red_blue
    cyan_red
    cyan_green
    cyan_blue
    green_red
    green_green
    green_blue
    magenta_red
    magenta_green
    magenta_blue
    blue_red
    blue_green
    blue_blue
    yellow_red
    yellow_green
    yellow_blue
    black, 0664
    black_red
    black_green
    black_blue
    white_red
    white_green
    white_blue
    scenario

App & Donations:

StarKissed [SKU] on Google Play allows you to configure many of the options provided by this kernel. Issues or comments about the app can be posted at the XDA StarKissed app thread

Donations are not being collected through the forum. If you would like to donate, you may do so through StarKissed [SKU] on Google Play by using the donate options located in the top right (the green dollar bill guy).
    Will be nice if you can provide two different build. One without all the fancy things that some people wont have use for, such as overclocking, close to stock as possible but still provide stability, smoothness, and better battery life.
    Some kernel makers just slap everything they can onto a kernel and in the long wrong, it is simply instable or provide hicups (that they will never own up to lol)

I don't provide anything I wouldn't run on my own device. If you want it to be stock, vote for stock. If that is what wins, that is what I will build. It is enough to provide a single kernel for a bunch of devices without trying to keep track of per-device versions. I slap everything I can onto a kernel, test it, then delete or fix the broken stuff. My github is always current and anything I changed is clearly published to point the finger at whoever it needs to be pointed at.
    A new update will be posted later tonight that may be the last for a while. Life is calling.