[Tut] Gain Back Root on Chickcharney Update! [Easy!]

Search This thread

Sn0wdune

Jan 15, 2013
Hey all OUYAins! :)

So recently I updated my OUYA to Chickcharney and lost root access *cue crying* :(

I tried installing RootMyOuya1.1 by WonderEkin but it didn't install. So I snooped around for different rooting methods such as ReRoot script by Eldon McGuiness (You can take a look at his script here).

The method that worked perfectly fine for me was to download a piece of software called Kingo (here). Simply download and install it and connect your OUYA to your computer via USB and click Start Root. Wait for the software to root your OUYA and it will eventually reboot. You should now have SuperSU installed with root access!

I hope this thread helps anyone having difficulty with getting root access on Chickcharney! ;)

Last edited:

circledrag

Dec 9, 2012
I'm assuming the device needs to already have been rooted prior to trying Kingo ROOT? I just got my system on Thursday and since I'm new it forced me to download the Chickcharney update and I can't figure out what the best way is to root my OUYA.

Neophyte_TC

Nov 4, 2010
my ouya was rooted before the update. yesterday I tried Kingo and it said "already rooted", but I had no root permission. So I clicked "root again" and after a minute or so my ouya was rooted again properly.

Thanks Sn0wdune

Reactions: Sn0wdune

Sn0wdune

Jan 15, 2013
I'm assuming the device needs to already have been rooted prior to trying Kingo ROOT? I just got my system on Thursday and since I'm new it forced me to download the Chickcharney update and I can't figure out what the best way is to root my OUYA.

Well not neccessarily. It should still work in any case! :p

I tried that to root it but it said it couldn't find the Ouya. I'm running the latest update Chickcharney on mine. Do I need to wipe it to run the root?

That's odd. Are you sure you have your OUYA connected via USB properly and the drivers are correctly installed? :)

circledrag

Dec 9, 2012
Well not neccessarily. It should still work in any case! :p

That's odd. Are you sure you have your OUYA connected via USB properly and the drivers are correctly installed? :)

The driver's wouldn't install because I had to turn off driver signing. I got it working after that with Ouya Toolbox root... even though it was crashing part way through. I had to run the TEST version of Ouya Toolbox and just forced the root and I guess it was fine because it appears to be rooted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all OUYAins! :)

So recently I updated my OUYA to Chickcharney and lost root access *cue crying* :(

I tried installing RootMyOuya1.1 by WonderEkin but it didn't install. So I snooped around for different rooting methods such as ReRoot script by Eldon McGuiness (You can take a look at his script here).

The method that worked perfectly fine for me was to download a piece of software called Kingo (here). Simply download and install it and connect your OUYA to your computer via USB and click Start Root. Wait for the software to root your OUYA and it will eventually reboot. You should now have SuperSU installed with root access!

I hope this thread helps anyone having difficulty with getting root access on Chickcharney! ;)
    my ouya was rooted before the update. yesterday I tried Kingo and it said "already rooted", but I had no root permission. So I clicked "root again" and after a minute or so my ouya was rooted again properly.

Thanks Sn0wdune