Galaxy Note 4 Root Progress

Search This thread

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Folks, as with any development, take any claims without absolute proof with a grain of salt. It definitely looks like someone jumped the gun claiming to have root working but incessant posting of doubts and outright flaming are unnecessary. If/when this comes to fruition we'll see, until then leave the guys that do this alone. Messaging other developers isn't going to achieve anything any faster.

Jspex

Mar 2, 2012
From the perspective of someone who has a long history of writing root exploits, and does android security for a living, his comments make no sense to me, but hey I'm leveling no public judgement on this.

I'm very familiar with you and your reputation :) I've been hitting your thanks button for many years starting back on the first release o.g. Kindle fire.

I do also remember him saying when he pushed to bin he would reboot so maybe (nondev, probably talking out of my ass here) that's the first part of what he was saying. As for the rest,I have not the foggiest.

thepianoman77

Jul 25, 2012
Baldwin
Blaz. Why haven't you come out and said singing about root? I would have thought that with all the skepticism Blaz would have at least said areasuring word or just say that it didn't work. I know you work hard and I appreciate it, but it would be nice to at least let us know if you're still working on it or not. Just, =/.

Sent from my SM-N910V using xda Forum

nemopsp

Nov 30, 2014
Tampa, FL
Blaz. Why haven't you come out and said singing about root? I would have thought that with all the skepticism Blaz would have at least said areasuring word or just say that it didn't work. I know you work hard and I appreciate it, but it would be nice to at least let us know if you're still working on it or not. Just, =/.

Sent from my SM-N910V using xda Forum
Just relax, blaz stated in his post "We received root"

Now yea it's very questionable did he?

Where is proof?
Honestly at this point I think many users and even other devs want to see...

Just give it another week hopefully by then we will hear something from him.

Mayb he's decided to make both AT&T and Verizon variance on his own so he gets all the credit?

Plus it was just a holiday so I mean we all have personal life's mayb he got caught up into that for a few days...

I really don't even care for a release, I just want proof that it's real... Then he can take as much time as he needs on building a public release because its one thing to obtain a root, but it's another animal to make it so it works on every devices without issues and not bricking decives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1428386279292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1428386279292.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,824
Reactions: spartan07

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Just relax, blaz stated in his post "We received root"

Now yea it's very questionable did he?

Where is proof?
Honestly at this point I think many users and even other devs want to see...

Just give it another week hopefully by then we will hear something from him.

Mayb he's decided to make both AT&T and Verizon variance on his own so he gets all the credit?

Plus it was just a holiday so I mean we all have personal life's mayb he got caught up into that for a few days...

I really don't even care for a release, I just want proof that it's real... Then he can take as much time as he needs on building a public release because its one thing to obtain a root, but it's another animal to make it so it works on every devices without issues and not bricking decives.

so you tell someone else to chill and maybe hes spending time on real life then go to ask for proof yourself in the same post? smh lol

these root threads amaze me every day haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

nemopsp

Nov 30, 2014
Tampa, FL
so you tell someone else to chill and maybe hes spending time on real life then go to ask for proof yourself in the same post? smh lol

these root threads amaze me every day haha

Honestly I'm just trying to stick up for Blaz...

cause if he received root, he should have a device rooted...

Wouldn't b hard to show 5min or less of proof...

Though I'm patiently waiting like everyone else...

Users are starting to spread rumors, and I'm just trying to stay positive about the whole thing, root will happen in time...

But if he's really trolling the community. It just makes him look bad.. and would lose my respect as a developer.

heXacode

Jan 16, 2011
Folks... none of you are discussing root in ways to help or brainstorm and ideas towards it or discussing anything related to inch us closer to it.

Please take your discussions here...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3073034

Venom0642 just told you that as well as KennyG123, the moderator.

Stop talking about how mad you are or bickering for the 100th time.

There are people working on root still and I have decided to join in and figure out how to get us root. You can see my statement here too...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3073034

I am doing research, learning and gathering info as well as setting up a couple tools tomorrow.

Please have respect on what the moderators have told you folks a hundred times. Discuss root only. That means bring some info to the table for us to look into or help contribute or share ideas.

stealyourface1

Nov 26, 2014
Umm. This may have been covered before. But boot to recovery, after the Lollipop update, and select "View recovery logs" Volume buttons to scroll thru.

That displays some SERIOUS looking info, and what appears to be a ton of keys, along with telling when it verifies signatures.

Is this possibly some useful info (fingers crossed)??? If that is displaying the actual keys the update package uses........

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

heXacode

Jan 16, 2011
Umm. This may have been covered before. But boot to recovery, after the Lollipop update, and select "View recovery logs" Volume buttons to scroll thru.

That displays some SERIOUS looking info, and what appears to be a ton of keys, along with telling when it verifies signatures.

Is this possibly some useful info (fingers crossed)??? If that is displaying the actual keys the update package uses........

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The logs are irrelevant at the moment. I did take a look at it and I don't see enough to pursue anything yet for Lollipop. All eyes are on KitKat version for right now because there's a bit more vulnerabilities there than Lollipop. In Lollipop there were a few patches done like to GraphicsBuffer overflow and new securities that will have to be worked around it. My concentration is solely on Kitkat. If root is achieved for Kitkat then myself and others will try to work a similar method for Lollipop or get root/Superuser to somehow survive through OTA which I doubt it will. It will take some time but we will get there eventually.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
The logs are irrelevant at the moment. I did take a look at it and I don't see enough to pursue anything yet for Lollipop. All eyes are on KitKat version for right now because there's a bit more vulnerabilities there than Lollipop. In Lollipop there were a few patches done like to GraphicsBuffer overflow and new securities that will have to be worked around it. My concentration is solely on Kitkat. If root is achieved for Kitkat then myself and others will try to work a similar method for Lollipop or get root/Superuser to somehow survive through OTA which I doubt it will. It will take some time but we will get there eventually.

I agree this would be the way to go.. if you can get root on kk then hsbadr has his multizystem ready then you could essentially flash a rooted L rom. This is how it worked for us in the g900v forum.

If there is any way i can help let me know!

darkbots

Apr 3, 2015
I'm one block away

If any of you achieve root. I will show you how to take any ota with root. It's fairly easy and only requires minor alterations to the ota updater plus a zip swap. I've been waiting for root on this device to make any post but... Im not too confident we'll get it. I've been around xda since the first htc evo,and root sometimes just doesnt happen. If it does,I have several dozen mods and touchwiz mods to hand out. I closed my old account a couple years ago due to frustration. Hopefully this time that won't happen. Good luck on rooting,I'm waiting with some awesome stuff.

TechBSwift

Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone know how kies flashes firmware? Is it the same process as odin? This is way I ask...

The easiest way to obtain firmware for any Samsung device is to connect to kies and restore/flash device. During this process kies downloads the firmware, after firmware downloads kies decrypts the file, resets the phone to download mode and restores the phone. (During the restore process you can copy the decrypted tar file) Unless kies checks the md5 after decrypting the file and prior to pushing the file, what's stopping us from pushing supersu to system file prior to kies flashing the firmware? The window would be very small, but I'm thinking outside the box. I know odin checks prior to pushing the tar file, but does kies follow the same check process?

Sent from my SM-N915V

heXacode

Jan 16, 2011
Does anyone know how kies flashes firmware? Is it the same process as odin? This is way I ask...

The easiest way to obtain firmware for any Samsung device is to connect to kies and restore/flash device. During this process kies downloads the firmware, after firmware downloads kies decrypts the file, resets the phone to download mode and restores the phone. (During the restore process you can copy the decrypted tar file) Unless kies checks the md5 after decrypting the file and prior to pushing the file, what's stopping us from pushing supersu to system file prior to kies flashing the firmware? The window would be very small, but I'm thinking outside the box. I know odin checks prior to pushing the tar file, but does kies follow the same check process?

Sent from my SM-N915V
Injecting supersu, which would be just an apk, is not enough. It would achieve nothing and there's no way to just push that file in the process you described.

We need to be able to create /system/bin/su for that. In order to do that we need to gain permission to overwrite. In order to gain overwrite permission we need a vulnerability to exploit. The focus is to exploit graphics buffer overflow vulnerability. In order to exploit a buffer overflow on the heap we need to overwrite critical data which will intentionally make it crash or change a value that can be exploited later. This is the main goal of mine that I'm looking into from what others were trying to do.

Read this...

https://developer.apple.com/library...cureCodingGuide/Articles/BufferOverflows.html

cornflaku

Dec 5, 2011
Would it be possible to cause an overflow within the AT&T Mobile Locate app? Maybe the backup function. IIRC some of the 'features' it boasts require write/overwrite permission.

Maybe it's possible to create a tunnel to mimic backup server via usb tethering/turn off mobile data.

Last edited:

jocarog

Mar 14, 2012
Any way to exploit the my files apk? It is the only way to write to external SD which third party apps can't do without root access...

one'd frome my one+1

raynan

Jan 2, 2011
I think what @heXacode is trying to say is that even though they are system apps and have more access, it's not enough to write into the system other than maybe it's own odex file...it would most likely have to be a system process running at root level that needs to be "hijacked" and used to write a specific file in a specific location.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok - I've gotten a number of reports about this thread in the last couple days - this needs to stop...and the way it's going to stop is by setting the rules. Please report FUTURE posts that break any of these rules:

1. Talks about another device other than the Note 4.
    2. Talks about other carriers than AT&T, except where DIRECTLY applicable to root progress.
    3. Talks about the Note 4 in any way other than to CONTRIBUTE to root progress. This includes "gush posts" about how great the device is, or "sob posts" about how horrible things are without root.

Click report on any post that meets the above criteria & I'll nuke it - otherwise keep it civil & keep your focus on obtaining root.

Thanks.
    Hi,
    We understand the frustration of not having root...but no thread on XDA should require daily moderation..none. If people cannot follow the member conduct rules on this private development site then these things will happen.
    Any developers working on root should know that XDA provides heavily moderated areas (read non-devs will be infracted or banned) for Developers ONLY to work on truly technical issues such as this. We are trying to bring development discussion back to XDA so people can see and learn from it. So this area has been provided. It is located here: http://xdaforums.com/note-4/galaxy-note-4-developer-discussion-developers-only and we are encouraging any developers working on root to please begin a thread there for other developers ONLY to join in and collaborate. Let's keep the discussions here and not on Hangouts, PMs or IRC where impatient members have drive the developers to.
    Now rather than continue bad mouthing XDA and admins in new threads, maybe you can understand why we are getting more strict in handling these things. WE WANT DEVELOPMENT HERE!
    So some of you complaining that thread closures are what is driving away development...look in the mirror for the true reason. Non-development comments and trolls are the main reason developers give us for why they do not discuss development here anymore.
    Now this thread will remain closed for a while longer for this post to set in. Feel free to make a user group or thread in the Off-Topic section of XDA until this thread is reopened. But also take this as fair warning that once this thread is reopened any violation of the forum rules will be treated severely.
    We all want you guys to have root...it brings in development! Let's all get together and do it right and urge the developers to make that thread and get this going where everyone can see it happening!!!

Thank you for your cooperation
    Friendly Neighborhood Senior-Mod
    SuperSU running and KingUser gone...

So we have successfully been able to remove Kingroot and all of it's applications and are now running SuperSU full time. :) We will be releasing something soon to get you all off of the Kingroot junk as soon as we can firm up a couple of small items..

Screenshot_2015-05-15-15-51-38.png

Team Members:
    @Tomsgt
    @Surge1223
    @hsbadr
    @gatesjunior

Tester:
    @freddy0872

Yes, we are still working on permanent root. A reboot will remove this, but at least now you will be able to quickly get back to SuperSU.
    OK...as you seen @ZPaul2Fresh8 has spearheaded a Developers ONLY root thread in the Developers ONLY section. You say "What?" What does that even mean?!!" It means you should watch but not post there unless you have genuine development knowledge and can add to the discussion. It is heavily moderated so posting non-dev posts would be..........bad! (you know what I mean!)
    Now THIS thread will be reopened and I am sure the people working on the root over there will pop in occasionally to answer questions here if mentioned. So let them work!
    THIS thread will fall under forum rules of course...you are all in the same boat waiting on root...be kind to each other!
    Under the circumstances some OT posting will be fine here...but stay out of there.
    I moved a pile of posts over to that thread so they don't lose their train of thought.
    Let's all thank those guys for trying to get this going!
    I would like to thank everyone here for being patient while we worked this out.

Thread reopened....everyone breath!!!!
    I want to thank the supportive PMs I have received regarding our efforts to get this set up right for you!
    I had a nibble or two from some that want to start the thread in the Developers ONLY section, but they have not done so yet.
    As soon as that happens then this thread will be reopened.
    I would also be happy to work with them to copy any development oriented posts from here to there.
    Thank you for your patience
    Friendly Neighborhood Senior-Mod