How to: Update LG G2 D802 (FlashKDZ/Root/Recovery/Hiddenmenu/troubleshooting)(n2n)

Search This thread

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
(FlashKDZ/Root/Recovery/Hiddenmenu/troubleshooting)
(noob2noob guide)​

Okay, this is my first thread on XDA, the reason I'm making it is there is a lots of problems with progressing to lollipop. All of this is already mentioned in the forum, but this way it is much easier since it is all at one place. If I'm doing something wrong please warn me with explanation how to resolve the issue. If I'm posting in wrong forum section please move my thread where it is supposed to be.

1. Before doing anything check if your phone is ready to get updated:
1.1 Do you have a stock Kitkat rom or at least a rom that is kitkat based, since there can be a problem with partitioning if custom lollipop rom is installed

1.2 Create a backup. Don't be lazy LG backups will not help you since they can't go from kitkat to lollipop, don't try to do it from recovery because you will lose custom recovery. Copy your files from phone including extracted contacts, and back it up online with google or some other backup providers.

1.3 Check if you have a latest touch firmware, because you might have a problems after installing lollipop and it will be hard for you to check for updates since your touch might become useless.
1.3.1 To check it go to hidden service menu by typing 3845#*802# and go under HW Device Test, then Touch Test then touch firmware version and write everything down. After that go to touch firmware upgrade and after 15 seconds compare the touch firmware version values with those you written down.

1.4 In hidden Menu you can also go to wlan test then ota setting to check if it is disabled on your phone. After that check again if there is OTA updates for your phone, and also check if there is PC suite Update.

1.5 Check your phones version if it is D802, D800 or something else, and check which rom you have installed. You can do this in settings about phone or if you are happy about hidden menu found, go there and into settings then version info. This might not be interesting or fun to do, but it will save you the trouble if something goes wrong, because you will know what to ask.

1.6 Last but not the least, before starting to flash fill up your battery, i've read some posts that say there are problems with wrong capacity shown, and a lots of battery drain problems, and only solution till now is to have a full battery on start.

2. You will need LG FlashTool and of course installed drivers for your G2 on your PC.
All of that you can get in the thread by @quangnhut123 .

2.1 Just a bit of precautions, don't forget to always copy a kdz file in to Flashtool folder and then start a tool. All should look the same as in that thread, except you should always use CSE method because with this method you will install kdz from scratch, removing everything from the phone.

2.2 You should find the kdz file which suits for your phone on site . You can check for kdz by typing in imei in check new firmware section or find the one for yourself by searching the site. v30a is lollipop open while v30d is for branded G2's.
(I've read that this site is not allowed by Xda moderators, so if I can't post it please give me info on where should we download kdz's from).

2.3 I think it's all pure logic now but lets say it one more time. You have downloaded kdz file, and put it inside LG Flashtool folder. You should now start Flashtool and get your phone into Download mode. To do this you need to hold volume up button on turned off device and connect usb cable while holding volume up. Now just cse flash.

2/3 This is troubleshooting step, if you have a problem ask and i hope this great community will help you like they did to me, and ofc I will do my best to help.

3. Now we go to rooting.
Here is the thread by @avicohh which worked for my D802.
Just follow his step by step tut and you will have a rooted phone

3.1 The only issue that might happen here is you are stuck with # and adb waiting for your phone. To resolve this just go into download mode manually.

4. Okay rooting done, now let's go to custom recovery install
It's easy as installing an app from google play by @bender_007

4.1 After installing it open the app and follow the on-screen instructions. If it fails for the first time, try it few more times, it will eventually work. (OFC. I didn't install it with only one try).

4.2 To get into custom recovery hold volume down and power button till first LG sign shows up, then release both buttons and quickly press them again. It will ask you do you want to do factory reset, press yes and yes again, and it will get you to custom recovery if you installed it.

4.2.1 If you factory reset your phone that means you didn't install recovery correctly and you will lose your data, but again that should be no problem since you have that backup from the start.

Now optional steps:
5. Install system app remover to remove bloatware from your phone. You can do it manually but this way you will have those apps backed up.

6. Next suggestion is to install a few mods if you need them. In my case I had to have a Plug and pop, since it is lost from Lollipop and I loved that feature. Here is a thread on how to install that mod by @p_a_r_s_a7

//That's all, if you have any questions feel free to ask, since there is no dumb questions, but also try to read carefully before//

Thanks to:
@quangnhut123
@avicohh
@p_a_r_s_a7
@bender_007
A lot of others whose names i can't remember. If anyone else needs to be mentioned PM me and i will add you in this section.

I will add pictures and stuff if needed

Last edited:

Cst79

Oct 5, 2013
This forum is such a mess that a thread like this is like a fresh breath of air. Every advice given on other threads references something that you should already know how it's done, or you should already have done to your phone in the past and have a certain version of it, or non-working tools that are only around for a few months until an update makes them unusable.

No wonder that most of the first-page topics, including pinned ones, have the word "brick" in the title. This should signal the forum moderators that something is wrong around here.

My phone is stock international sim-free G2, never rooted or otherwise modified and yet no one was able to offer a coherent solution of how to update to Lollipop, until your post.

So, thanks for this thread.

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
Thank you, that is exactly why i made the thread. Every one of those threads has everything explained, but you need to search theough 150 pages to understand how something is done. That's why i wanted to make a thread with all explanations made in a single post and to make it noob friendly since the worst thing that happens in other threads is answer like use a search you have it somewhere.

seyio

Apr 14, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the thread. It really helps noobs like me, but I still have a couple of questions...

I was running Paranoid Android L rom with root, twrp and kk bootloader on My D802.
I didn't see this thread before I decided to downgrade back to 4.2.2 stock rom, and now I don't really know what steps to take.(I have kernel version 3..4.0 and build number JDQ39B)
I haven't seen an OTA available, so I was thinking of flashing new Lollipop rom kdz file. But I've been seeing stuff about using LG PC suite to upgrade via OTA so i wasn't sure.
So my main question is that do I do an OTA upgrade on my current 4.2.2 stock rom or do I download an official Lollipop rom? Can you give me a brief idea of the steps to take?

Thanks

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
Hi,
Thanks for the thread. It really helps noobs like me, but I still have a couple of questions...

I was running Paranoid Android L rom with root, twrp and kk bootloader on My D802.
I didn't see this thread before I decided to downgrade back to 4.2.2 stock rom, and now I don't really know what steps to take.(I have kernel version 3..4.0 and build number JDQ39B)
I haven't seen an OTA available, so I was thinking of flashing new Lollipop rom kdz file. But I've been seeing stuff about using LG PC suite to upgrade via OTA so i wasn't sure.
So my main question is that do I do an OTA upgrade on my current 4.2.2 stock rom or do I download an official Lollipop rom? Can you give me a brief idea of the steps to take?

Thanks

Updating through pc suite or ota is the best way if it is available to you. Flashing kdz is the same thing but that is doing it manually while through pc auite nad ota is pretty much automatic. Anyways which ever way you decide to use be sure to fully charge your battery and factory reset acter the update. If you need anything else feel free to ask

seyio

Apr 14, 2015
Updating through pc suite or ota is the best way if it is available to you. Flashing kdz is the same thing but that is doing it manually while through pc auite nad ota is pretty much automatic. Anyways which ever way you decide to use be sure to fully charge your battery and factory reset acter the update. If you need anything else feel free to ask

Do I flash KK bootloader or root before I update through ota?

sankeerth24

Aug 21, 2014
Problems with flashing KDZ

I have downloaded Spain Lolipop KDZ file for LG G2 D802.

Have backed up everything usint TWRP> ( Presently on Optimus G3 rom v 1.4.1 with dorimanx kernel and TWRP )

I have copied the KDZ file to the flash tool. When i use CSE flash .. it takes me to the next page .. in which I click on Start which then opens up the LG Mobile support tool.
Then it shows detecting ur phone .. unpacking or extracting file .. after that shows software updating .. reaches 2 % and then shows error .. asks me to retry .

Do you know what I am doing wrong ? or the cause of this prob ?

http://i58.tinypic.com/15rk2eo.png

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
I have downloaded Spain Lolipop KDZ file for LG G2 D802.

Have backed up everything usint TWRP> ( Presently on Optimus G3 rom v 1.4.1 with dorimanx kernel and TWRP )

I have copied the KDZ file to the flash tool. When i use CSE flash .. it takes me to the next page .. in which I click on Start which then opens up the LG Mobile support tool.
Then it shows detecting ur phone .. unpacking or extracting file .. after that shows software updating .. reaches 2 % and then shows error .. asks me to retry .

Do you know what I am doing wrong ? or the cause of this prob ?

http://i58.tinypic.com/15rk2eo.png

Had the same problem when flashing kitkat kdz. Are you sure that you have pasted kdzfile inside flashtool. If that is not the problem try other kdz. That helped me

Where are you from and more specifically whhere your phone is from so i can maybe help you with finding right kdz. And btw i think you might have a problem when trying to restore that backup so if you still can backup your phone manually or on the cloud.

Last edited:

sankeerth24

Aug 21, 2014
Had the same problem when flashing kitkat kdz. Are you sure that you have pasted kdzfile inside flashtool. If that is not the problem try other kdz. That helped me

Where are you from and more specifically whhere your phone is from so i can maybe help you with finding right kdz. And btw i think you might have a problem when trying to restore that backup so if you still can backup your phone manually or on the cloud.

I have restored the complete back up using TWRP .... Yes i have already pasted kdz in the same folder of flash tool...still no change .. now downloading D802 20H firmware to flash stock n den again try KDZ

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
I have seen that some guys who had the same problem resolved it with disconnecting from network

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

seyio

Apr 14, 2015
No need to flash bootloader if you didnt flash it for paranoid android. And definitely no need to root since you can root after update.

Hi again..
OTA update to Lollipop has failed on my D802, LG PC Suite only upgraded me from Android 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, so can anyone help me out here?
Am I missing something for OTA update? If not, then which lollipop kdz can I download for my phone so that I can flash? I live in UK and i use a 3 UK sim if that helps
but also, In the process of trying to boot into my previously installed TWRP recovery, I discovered that i have been restored to stock recovery. I have rooted the phone, but just wanted to clarify: I flash custom recovery, then bootloader/kernel then lollipop kdz?

Thanks again

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
Hi again..
OTA update to Lollipop has failed on my D802, LG PC Suite only upgraded me from Android 4.2.2 to 4.4.2, so can anyone help me out here?
Am I missing something for OTA update? If not, then which lollipop kdz can I download for my phone so that I can flash? I live in UK and i use a 3 UK sim if that helps
but also, In the process of trying to boot into my previously installed TWRP recovery, I discovered that i have been restored to stock recovery. I have rooted the phone, but just wanted to clarify: I flash custom recovery, then bootloader/kernel then lollipop kdz?

Thanks again

I am not sure but i think that update for the uk didnt come out yet. so you can't update to lollipop yet via pc suite or ota. and you got it all wrong. first you flash lollipop kdz but you will have to try out few of them since official for uk didn't come out yet, after that you root, and then flash custom recovery.
and as previously you will be back to stock recovery after update. you have it all explained step by step in first post. i know it is a bit long but that is the best way, since i didn't want to write stuff like "you should know that" and so on. so just follow the first post and you will be happy, or wait for official uk update over the ota you will be happy too, and i guess it should come out in a month.

seyio

Apr 14, 2015
I am not sure but i think that update for the uk didnt come out yet. so you can't update to lollipop yet via pc suite or ota. and you got it all wrong. first you flash lollipop kdz but you will have to try out few of them since official for uk didn't come out yet, after that you root, and then flash custom recovery.
and as previously you will be back to stock recovery after update. you have it all explained step by step in first post. i know it is a bit long but that is the best way, since i didn't want to write stuff like "you should know that" and so on. so just follow the first post and you will be happy, or wait for official uk update over the ota you will be happy too, and i guess it should come out in a month.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll download all the lollipop kdz's and see which one of them works for me till the UK one comes out then I'll just do a normal flash over it.
But seriously, one month for the UK ota :crying: Right now, I don't even know which is worse: Google that takes forever to release updates with so many bugs, or Apple who generally release better stable updates but make older devices laggy...
Thanks again for all the help.

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll download all the lollipop kdz's and see which one of them works for me till the UK one comes out then I'll just do a normal flash over it.
But seriously, one month for the UK ota :crying: Right now, I don't even know which is worse: Google that takes forever to release updates with so many bugs, or Apple who generally release better stable updates but make older devices laggy...
Thanks again for all the help.

its a good update, not that buggy, and be sure to fully charge your battery before the process. you should try europe open or something like that, but there is no german or uk release yet and some guys suspect it is slowed down because they found out bugs in other versions

fernievidal

May 29, 2014
Santa Rosa City
After CSE Flashing my d802 with a 30a, it got stock on lg logo screen, then an android screen with "erasing" on bottom, then lg screen. I let it sit for 4 hrs but nothing happened. Im back to stock kitkat atm. A little help please.

G@$o

Apr 5, 2015
Zagreb
After CSE Flashing my d802 with a 30a, it got stock on lg logo screen, then an android screen with "erasing" on bottom, then lg screen. I let it sit for 4 hrs but nothing happened. Im back to stock kitkat atm. A little help please.

Where from is your phone? Are you sure you flashed right kdz? Did lollipop even turn off? DidCSE flashing finished sucessfully? I would like to help you, but i cant if you dont explainme what is your problem. I am not some pro who faced every error on every phoneso please explain a bit more

And i suppose that erasing screen could have been factory reset on stock recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: fernievidal

fernievidal

May 29, 2014
Santa Rosa City
Where from is your phone? Are you sure you flashed right kdz? Did lollipop even turn off? DidCSE flashing finished sucessfully? I would like to help you, but i cant if you dont explainme what is your problem. I am not some pro who faced every error on every phoneso please explain a bit more

And i suppose that erasing screen could have been factory reset on stock recovery
I believe mine is an international version. Where it came from, well, I'm from the Philippines and I got my phone from a local telecom, Globe.

The flash tool said that it was successfully upgraded, but judging from the phone's behavior I think there's something wrong. My phone never started successfully, and I got stuck in the LG logo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (FlashKDZ/Root/Recovery/Hiddenmenu/troubleshooting)
    (noob2noob guide)​

Okay, this is my first thread on XDA, the reason I'm making it is there is a lots of problems with progressing to lollipop. All of this is already mentioned in the forum, but this way it is much easier since it is all at one place. If I'm doing something wrong please warn me with explanation how to resolve the issue. If I'm posting in wrong forum section please move my thread where it is supposed to be.

1. Before doing anything check if your phone is ready to get updated:
    1.1 Do you have a stock Kitkat rom or at least a rom that is kitkat based, since there can be a problem with partitioning if custom lollipop rom is installed

1.2 Create a backup. Don't be lazy LG backups will not help you since they can't go from kitkat to lollipop, don't try to do it from recovery because you will lose custom recovery. Copy your files from phone including extracted contacts, and back it up online with google or some other backup providers.

1.3 Check if you have a latest touch firmware, because you might have a problems after installing lollipop and it will be hard for you to check for updates since your touch might become useless.
    1.3.1 To check it go to hidden service menu by typing 3845#*802# and go under HW Device Test, then Touch Test then touch firmware version and write everything down. After that go to touch firmware upgrade and after 15 seconds compare the touch firmware version values with those you written down.

1.4 In hidden Menu you can also go to wlan test then ota setting to check if it is disabled on your phone. After that check again if there is OTA updates for your phone, and also check if there is PC suite Update.

1.5 Check your phones version if it is D802, D800 or something else, and check which rom you have installed. You can do this in settings about phone or if you are happy about hidden menu found, go there and into settings then version info. This might not be interesting or fun to do, but it will save you the trouble if something goes wrong, because you will know what to ask.

1.6 Last but not the least, before starting to flash fill up your battery, i've read some posts that say there are problems with wrong capacity shown, and a lots of battery drain problems, and only solution till now is to have a full battery on start.

2. You will need LG FlashTool and of course installed drivers for your G2 on your PC.
    All of that you can get in the thread by @quangnhut123 .

2.1 Just a bit of precautions, don't forget to always copy a kdz file in to Flashtool folder and then start a tool. All should look the same as in that thread, except you should always use CSE method because with this method you will install kdz from scratch, removing everything from the phone.

2.2 You should find the kdz file which suits for your phone on site . You can check for kdz by typing in imei in check new firmware section or find the one for yourself by searching the site. v30a is lollipop open while v30d is for branded G2's.
    (I've read that this site is not allowed by Xda moderators, so if I can't post it please give me info on where should we download kdz's from).

2.3 I think it's all pure logic now but lets say it one more time. You have downloaded kdz file, and put it inside LG Flashtool folder. You should now start Flashtool and get your phone into Download mode. To do this you need to hold volume up button on turned off device and connect usb cable while holding volume up. Now just cse flash.

2/3 This is troubleshooting step, if you have a problem ask and i hope this great community will help you like they did to me, and ofc I will do my best to help.

3. Now we go to rooting.
    Here is the thread by @avicohh which worked for my D802.
    Just follow his step by step tut and you will have a rooted phone

3.1 The only issue that might happen here is you are stuck with # and adb waiting for your phone. To resolve this just go into download mode manually.

4. Okay rooting done, now let's go to custom recovery install
    It's easy as installing an app from google play by @bender_007

4.1 After installing it open the app and follow the on-screen instructions. If it fails for the first time, try it few more times, it will eventually work. (OFC. I didn't install it with only one try).

4.2 To get into custom recovery hold volume down and power button till first LG sign shows up, then release both buttons and quickly press them again. It will ask you do you want to do factory reset, press yes and yes again, and it will get you to custom recovery if you installed it.

4.2.1 If you factory reset your phone that means you didn't install recovery correctly and you will lose your data, but again that should be no problem since you have that backup from the start.

Now optional steps:
    5. Install system app remover to remove bloatware from your phone. You can do it manually but this way you will have those apps backed up.

6. Next suggestion is to install a few mods if you need them. In my case I had to have a Plug and pop, since it is lost from Lollipop and I loved that feature. Here is a thread on how to install that mod by @p_a_r_s_a7

//That's all, if you have any questions feel free to ask, since there is no dumb questions, but also try to read carefully before//

Thanks to:
    @quangnhut123
    @avicohh
    @p_a_r_s_a7
    @bender_007
    A lot of others whose names i can't remember. If anyone else needs to be mentioned PM me and i will add you in this section.

I will add pictures and stuff if needed
    This forum is such a mess that a thread like this is like a fresh breath of air. Every advice given on other threads references something that you should already know how it's done, or you should already have done to your phone in the past and have a certain version of it, or non-working tools that are only around for a few months until an update makes them unusable.

No wonder that most of the first-page topics, including pinned ones, have the word "brick" in the title. This should signal the forum moderators that something is wrong around here.

My phone is stock international sim-free G2, never rooted or otherwise modified and yet no one was able to offer a coherent solution of how to update to Lollipop, until your post.

So, thanks for this thread.
    Thanks, good all-in-one thread, + easiest methods. Ill recommend it‚to others