[How-To] Update to G870A_OC5 (Active Model Only) - 5.0 and KeepRoot (4/15/2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Uploaded new Firmware file in .zip format.

This means that there is no longer a need to extract a .tar from a .rar before flashing. You can now download the .zip file directly to your device or PC and move the .zip file to your device and flash. Follow the updated instructions in the OP.

adamtcote

Apr 21, 2015
I performed a backup in recovery, flashed the file in the app w/ root permissions, and my Active is stuck in a boot loop-- doesn't hang like the instructions said it would.
edit: fixed with Odin with the provided file in OP. Any reasons it might have stuck me in a bootloop?

Last edited:

nutt_case

Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport LA
I performed a backup in recovery, flashed the file in the app w/ root permissions, and my Active is stuck in a boot loop-- doesn't hang like the instructions said it would.
edit: fixed with Odin with the provided file in OP. Any reasons it might have stuck me in a bootloop?

Did the same to me first shot too...not sure why...second shot worked perfect.

FF still experimental. ..could have been that or I just missed a step.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012

This means that there is no longer a need to extract a .tar from a .rar before flashing. You can now download the .zip file directly to your device or PC and move the .zip file to your device and flash. Follow the updated instructions in the OP.

Never mind on this..using a .zip format for the firmware file has proven unreliable on other devices. Not ready for prime time.

Previous files once again reflected in OP.

solarwater

Sep 22, 2010
Never mind on this..using a .zip format for the firmware file has proven unreliable on other devices. Not ready for prime time.

Previous files once again reflected in OP.

I had no issue flashing with the .zip files. I flashed from the previous buggy OC5 using flashfire.

Everything does seem to be working properly, and all the issues I had from the early implementation are gone.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I had no issue flashing with the .zip files. I flashed from the previous buggy OC5 using flashfire.

Everything does seem to be working properly, and all the issues I had from the early implementation are gone.

Yes, it works most of the time but I have so many of these threads going the few times it does not work I hear about it. Don't need the drama :)

captivated1971

Jan 2, 2011
coweta,ok
yup the drama lol maybe i should try reversing the order of the flashing process like on page 23 lol it didnt work the first time. i got the same the old firmware bootloop. said everything went ok till reboot. mayb try it again tomorrow. just sucks haven to odin back and all lol and reroot.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

so i could flash this thru odin as long as i got the repartion zip in the right box? if so which one would it be?

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

or maybe i should just try it from the internal sd i used the external sd card

parkerj7uc

Dec 27, 2011
Cincinnati
Make sure that before you wipe and flash with FF that you have the actions in the correct order. That's VERY important. You might have to flash complete back to stock via Odin in download mode. Root and start the entire process over. I'll try and post a how to video when I get home later if I can convince my wife to let me flash her phone. She's a big fan of the XDK rom with Xposed features.

I gotta say this Rom has been amazing. It's quick and I have experienced 0 issues so far. I'm currently removing bloat ware and trying to see if I can get some xposed features to work (haven't had luck yet). So far I'm going on 4 days strong with this under heavy use and like I said 0 issue. Amazing job. And I like FF alot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Free mobile app
How did you install xposed? Safestrap or Flashfire?

talkingmonkeys

Inactive Recognized RC / RT
May 15, 2013
How did you install xposed? Safestrap or Flashfire?
It doesn't work with touchwiz lollipop. You'll know when it does because it will be talked about everywhere

h72n1mG.png

rocsrock

Apr 22, 2015
Again phone bricked, when i flash the stock ROM on it screen goes black with blue notification light, any ideas on how to fix it?

captivated1971

Jan 2, 2011
coweta,ok
Finally got it lol had to use the tar and unzip it on my phone. With the fx file explorer . Thumbs up like you said the zips didn't work just transferring them. Third time was the charm!

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Thanks muniz

Reactions: muniz_ri

akilleze

Aug 4, 2012
Orlando
Thank you muniz

Flashed it over the weekend, but my first time I had problems with reboots hanging on the AT&T screen until time-out popped up.
On second flash, the AT&T screen time-out popped up on the initial reboot. Did a battery-pull, and the rom has been nearly perfect since.
(I wonder if my initial problems with rebooting were actually from the "Quick Boot" app I was using. It's very possible the rom was perfect the first time but my third party app didn't play well.
I've had a few problems with Nova Launcher freezing up - had to battery pull. No problems so far on TouchWiz)

Anyway, thank you for providing an excellent stock, rooted rom, and especially for your continued patience with all of us telling you what didn't work right.

parkerj7uc

Dec 27, 2011
Cincinnati
Debloating wasn't that bad for me... Titanium Backup and 5min and it's done. Running super smooth now.

I mentioned this in PM, but the initial "delay" on being able to unlock my phone on boot with the older versions of this would be 20-30sec before it would acknowledge input. Now it's back to normal.... so all of my bugs/complaints/requests/issues are golden now.
Is there any way you can say what apps you froze. That you feel are safe to freeze.

Best regards,

Reactions: akilleze

GeneClwtr

Apr 20, 2015
Clearwater
My upgrade went well

SM-G870A
started w/ 4.4.2 (don't ask me what kernel I don't remember. it was downgraded after rooting though)
flashed from on board storage. Also did my SGH-i337 but flashed from ext SD both worked fine.

only a few days so far w/ no ill effects aside from some security issues apparently inherent to lolli. (I say this because I didn't have this issue prior.)
My S5 active is used for work running Office635 so our corporate policy I guess forces a lock screen (the default android one) which I hate because of the "emergency call" as I always pocket dial 911 so much so that they now ignore calls from my #. Seriously...

Did notice that the build versions are different between the S4 and S5 active. 5.0.1 vs 5.0 was hoping that the S5 image would be at-least 5.0.1 due to all the reported bugs w/ 5.0, but as I stated no real issues so far.
Either way I applaud muniz_ri, chainfire and all the other unnamed devs.

:good::good::good::good::good::good:

PinEpi

Jul 27, 2014
dead phone....

I followed the instructions to the letter. Everything seemed to be working, the system went to terminal installing the G870A_OC5_Stock_Partitions.zip and then installed the G870A_OC5_Stock_Rooted_Firmware. Last time I checked the phone it was installing the system. Then I took my eyes away from the phone and after a couple of minutes the phone had a black screen. That is it... my phone is not booting up, I plug in the power cable and nothing. Any suggestions?

GeneClwtr

Apr 20, 2015
Clearwater
I followed the instructions to the letter. Everything seemed to be working, the system went to terminal installing the G870A_OC5_Stock_Partitions.zip and then installed the G870A_OC5_Stock_Rooted_Firmware. Last time I checked the phone it was installing the system. Then I took my eyes away from the phone and after a couple of minutes the phone had a black screen. That is it... my phone is not booting up, I plug in the power cable and nothing. Any suggestions?

You were rooted to start with correct? As I understand it that is mandatory.

Power it back up and wait, patiently.... mine took almost 30 min before I got to the desktop, or phonetop, whatever...
:silly:

larryg4438

Sep 23, 2011
Philadelphia
OK muniz

I don’t know what everyone else is doing but I’m having no problems. I also wiped internal SD, only change i made to the OP. I can hit Reboot and be back up in 7 Sec. DE-bloated the hell out of it, it did not take Busybox 1.20.2, 1.20.1 DID take1.20,, Xposed won’t work yet. Otherwise very responsive. Nova Launcher working well. Want to poke around some more but ready to nod. Anyone that follows the OP shouldn’t have any problems. Going to look around for some modded apps that will work, Team Blackout has some LP apps and try it out on Tickle My Android 10.3… :good::good::good:

Thanks Again muniz

PinEpi

Jul 27, 2014
You were rooted to start with correct? As I understand it that is mandatory.

Power it back up and wait, patiently.... mine took almost 30 min before I got to the desktop, or phonetop, whatever...
:silly:

Yep, I had safestrap and I was running 4.4.4. I'm worried that my phone is hard bricked and I'm not sure if USB JIG can save it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **You can begin the following process from any Build/ROM but you must already have Root Access**

**Required** FlashFire - Play BETA - PREVIEW
    1. Join the G+ community using the same Google account as you're using for Play on your phone/tablet Here.
    2. Sign up to receive the BETA versions from Play Here.
    - Use the link provided after sign-up to download the app.

**Caution!**The process below is only for the AT&T G870A S5 "Active" Variant! Use on any other device may result in a hardbrick.

Downloads:
    - G870A_OC5_Stock_Rooted_ROM

- G870A_OC5_Stock_DeOdexed_ROM

Set your screen timeout setting to 10 mins before beginning!

1. Place the ROM onto your device (use either internal or ext-sdcard).
    2. Open the FlashFire app and "Agree" to the Terms and Conditions.
    3. Press "(+)" twice to bring up the "Actions" menu.
    4. Select "Flash Zip or OTA" and locate and select the ROM. Leave "Auto-mount" unchecked under the "Options" menu and press the checkmark to continue.
    5. From the main menu Uncheck all options under "EverRoot" and use default "Reboot" settings.
    6. Last, press the lightning bolt then "Ok" to begin the flash .

The screen will turn black then display the contents of your system before beginning the flash. FlashFire will pause for about 1 minute while flashing the "system" partition. Once complete your device will reboot and pause on the AT&T splash screen for about 1 - 2 minutes (10 - 15 mins for DeOdexed version) before completely rebooting. Done!

Tip: for blazing fast speed turn off animations from Developer Options and reboot!

Known Issues:
    - None!

Optional - Enable Native Tethering:
    - G870A_OC5_TetherAddOn (Flash using FlashFire's "Flash zip or ota" option).

Notes:
    1. The above process will not affect your Knox Warranty Flag.
    2. The process will update your Modem, Non-hlos, System, Kernel, Stock Recovery, and Bootloader to OC5. The OC5 Bootloader allows for downgrading your firmware at any time.
    3. As of 5/7/2015 no need to wipe prior to flashing! The ROM will automatically perform a factory data reset.
    4. If you do not already have root access or to unbrick you must flash the G870AUCU1ANE4_Full_Odin.tar and root with TowelRoot before continuing with the above process.
    5. To learn more about FlashFire's capabilities on locked bootloader devices see here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60070810&postcount=2

Credits:
    @nutt_case - for capturing the ota update.
    it works! no lag at boot. now has correct boot screen. checking root now waiting for a root app to install root work as well yeaaa great job

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

The files that I PM'd are new files and have not been tested.

everything works rebooted 3 times no lag and root is fully working. ff worked flawlessly. ty for everything i'll throw a donation ur way soon.
    Update......I have sucessfully tested a stock, rooted ROM which can be flashed with FF. Will post link shortly for testing before updating the OP. In the meantime I will continue testing the firmware method.

Thanks to those that displayed patience while I worked to resolve the issue......so noted!

Don't worry you guys are getting some attention too. I'm trying to figure out how to get cstayton's multi device script for installing working with lollipop. AllianceROM 8.0 too. Hopefully I can add this last touch before putting that out and making a deodexed base to build from.

I'll be looking for some g870a testers when the time comes in the next few days.