Any way to restore apps from a Nandroid backup without affecting newly-installed ROM?

Search This thread

imekul

Aug 4, 2008
Illinois
I recently updated from DamageControl 1 to 2. Before updating, I did a Nandroid backup of my Sprint Hero.

I tried to flash the new ROM over the existing one (so as to retain my apps, settings, etc). That didn't work, as the phone would hang at the HTC "Simply Brilliant" screen when booting up.

I then did a wipe via the recovery menu, and re-flashed the latest DC ROM. This worked fine, but obviously I'm without all my apps and settings.

I know if I do a Nandroid restore, I could get everything back, but I would obviously lose my upgraded ROM.

So what I'm trying to do is find a way to extract my apps from the Nandroid backup and manually install them on the Hero.

Most apps I can simply redownload, and while it might take a little bit, it's not a huge deal. One paid app in particular, though -- Smart Keyboard Pro -- won't show up, while other previously-purchased apps do.

So my ultimate goal is to restore my apps from the Nandroid backup. Is there a way to extract the backup images and manually install the APKs or something like that?

I've tried searching XDA, but I couldn't come up with anything other than the full restore that Nandroid does. Again, that would work, but I would then be downgrading my ROM.

Thanks in advance!

Wufei

Jan 15, 2010
You can try Titanium Backup or AppMonster (formerly AppManager) to backup your apps. Titanium backs up user data too

Reactions: nickmatine

unCoRrUpTeD

Mar 22, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
You can try Titanium Backup or AppMonster (formerly AppManager) to backup your apps. Titanium backs up user data too

I have been using AppManager but I heard Titamium Backup will do alot more .

With DC1 a2sd was enabled (Ithink) therefore all apps were saved on the sdcard in Android/data

I would strongly suggest using one of the apps above to save everything. Also everytime I install a ROM I go and download backup app I used and restore.

glenesis

Apr 23, 2011
I'd restore the old ROM, backup apps with Titanium Backup (choose Batch from the menu, then (All User & System Apps and Data). Then put the new ROM back, and restore your apps and settings one at a time from Titanium Backup. I'd be lost without Titanium Backup.

Reactions: nickmatine

webfeind

May 27, 2010
HTC U11
A year old is ok, you never know if someone else has this same thought. You know if the roms have the same framework you could just move the data.img file to a new folder where the backup folder is at and edit the nandroid.md5 file by removing all the lines for the other img files excluding the data.img file. Then boot to recovery and choose the new folder from the restore backup menu. Works for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium

Reactions: glenesis and asaa

glenesis

Apr 23, 2011
File Expert will back up apps, too. It also has a setting to automatically back up an .apk for every app you install and/or uninstall. File Expert just backs up the .apk files into a folder called "Backup Apps". It does not back up app data.

Also, Titanium Backup will extract apps from a nandroid backup. I am not sure whether it will restore an app with its data from a nandroid backup, but it will let you extract an app.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A year old is ok, you never know if someone else has this same thought. You know if the roms have the same framework you could just move the data.img file to a new folder where the backup folder is at and edit the nandroid.md5 file by removing all the lines for the other img files excluding the data.img file. Then boot to recovery and choose the new folder from the restore backup menu. Works for me.

Sent from my PC36100 using xda premium
    I'd restore the old ROM, backup apps with Titanium Backup (choose Batch from the menu, then (All User & System Apps and Data). Then put the new ROM back, and restore your apps and settings one at a time from Titanium Backup. I'd be lost without Titanium Backup.
    you do realize that this thread is over a year old right?