[Q] Stuck on booting up Samsung screen

Search This thread

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

My Note Pro 12.2 P900 64gb is now stuck on the samsung screen of booting up and I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out what to do next.

I was experiencing the flickering issue for the last two weeks which got progressively worse and eventually caused random rebooting. One time last week it started booting slower and then it wiped out some widgets on my start screen and the apps in touchwiz but most everything else was OK. Then yesterday it would not boot up past the samsung screen. It charges up OK, and I can get to Odin where it asks if I want to load another operating system by holding power and vol up. But unless it is plugged in, just holding power off puts it in a boot loop.

The other part is if it is stuck and I hold power off it usually vibrates twice before boot looping.

I rooted the tablet when I got it, but still run stock touchwiz, I just needed some rooted apps namely LMT pie controls.

Can anyone please point me towards what to do next. Thank you very much for your help.

ADM!RAL

Apr 7, 2014
I guess wiping data and factory reset is your only solution right now
I shall warn you you could lose your data so I hope you already have a backup!
And also I've read that lollipop fixed flickering issue in p900 devices
I hope everything goes well for you
Good luck

Reactions: minionhunter

Beut

Jun 28, 2015
The other part is if it is stuck and I hold power off it usually vibrates twice before boot looping.
Can anyone please point me towards what to do next. Thank you very much for your help.
When power on, try pressing on the back, near the center with your hand. to see if it can boot normally,
Keep pressing while power on. if it works I will tell you what causing this problem.

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Thank you all for the responses. Holding down the back while powering on does not help. I do have the flickering thing and that started leading up to this. Lay night I took it the battery and disconnected it for a half hour and that did not help. Looking at the connections with a 20x hand lens did not reveal any cracks.

I don't remember how to wipe the data off the device, I got it right when it came out rooted it with cf root and never got around to twrp. All I wanted was LMT and Xposed. I never even updated the OS.

If anyone can help walk me through this to get it running again I'll send you a green poetic skin used once or a white well used GumDrop hideaway case I tested for work. I just would like to get this running instead of needing to purchase a new one.

Thank you again. Sincerely.

Beut

Jun 28, 2015
Flickering screen is caused by cracked battery connector which cannot be seen under magnified glass. Re solder will fix it, trust me I did fix some of them

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Flickering screen is caused by cracked battery connector which cannot be seen under magnified glass. Re solder will fix it, trust me I did fix some of them

So resolder the 6 posts connecting the battery connector to the motherboard? Is there anything special I need to do that, just my soldering iron with a fine tip and solder? Anything special I need about the solder or do I need a wik or anything? The last time I did any soldering work was about 25 years ago.

Also will this fix the bootlooping and hanging on booting up at the Samsung word on the screen? If it is not going to fix that problem, maybe I should look at something else first.

Thank you very much again for your help.

Sincerely

Beut

Jun 28, 2015
So resolder the 6 posts connecting the battery connector to the motherboard? Is there anything special I need to do that, just my soldering iron with a fine tip and solder? Anything special I need about the solder or do I need a wik or anything? The last time I did any soldering work was about 25 years ago.

Also will this fix the bootlooping and hanging on booting up at the Samsung word on the screen? If it is not going to fix that problem, maybe I should look at something else first.

Thank you very much again for your help.

Sincerely
First, pressing the battery connector help your tablet to boot is a confirmation of cracked battery connector solders. 90% flickering problem is from cracked battery connector. 10% is bad battery. You should fix the battery connector first as it's major defect seen in many Samsung tablets. Re solder is simple, apply flux, then heat these pins and add more solders as possible to secure these pins. Even new main board, this connector will crack just after 3 or 4 months depending how you use your tablet, especially with who using it on their laps. The main board sits on a flexible LCD and only 3 screws to hold it to the frame at 2 speakers. You don't need to remove the main board, just disconnect your battery and re solder the connector from the top.
Be careful as this connector is very close to other components. Trust me, this re work will fix this problem as I have seen in some cases, battery jumps up from 8% to 45% after the re work, other cases pressing the battery connector help the tablet to boot or stop flickering.
This person applied the fix and succeed.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...screen-flickering-problems-3.html#post4473418
I have the Note Pro 12.2 and I had this same screen flickering issue. It would start to flicker at first around the 38% mark. I did research online and found this thread and many others. I tried the software fixes like the enabling of Developer Mode and screen brightness and other tries, but to no avail. When I pressed on the back of the tablet, the screen flickering would stop but then shortly return. So I saw the fix of trying to raise the motherboard which worked for about 2 weeks, then the screen flickering did return. It would then start to flicker around the 58% battery level mark and when it got down to around 26%, the tablet would shut down. When I plugged it in, it would show battery level of 0%, then quickly jump back up to the 26% mark when it shut itself down. So then by this time, I saw more of this thread and now was shown the soldering of the battery connectors. I had soldering equipment, but it was too large for this repair as these 6 pins are very close together. So I went to the hobby shop and purchased new equipment for about $30 with a smaller pin to be able to do this. Now, I am not an electronics guy and my past experience was replacing two bad capacitors on my Plasma TV when it went bad. That was the extent of my experience to date. So I opened up the back of my tablet and soldered the 6 pins again and the screen flickering has not returned. I am on my 5th battery cycle from 100% all the way down to 2% and the screen flickering and shutting itself down has not returned. Some people have said an electronics guy will do this for you for around $30. Well, I spent the $30 and did it myself. I want to thank the people for posting the solutions here as the soldering worked for me.
And from this post, a confirmation that repair center will do the same thing to fix flickering , auto reboot, auto shut down.....etc...all problems caused by cracked battery connector ( Connector Header ):
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=58943998&postcount=74

Last edited:

minionhunter

Aug 6, 2013
Ok I'll try to resolder it this weekend and report back. I think that my pertinent problem is that I have both the battery issue AND another problem that the tablet won't boot up at all but I will try the battery fix first and see what happens. Then I will report back.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Beut

Jun 28, 2015
Your feedback is very important as I see many " Hit and Run " users, they get the solution they need but never post back. Your first priority is fixing the battery connector, then next is the battery if problem persists.
This is a hardware defect I have seen in many Samsung tablets: battery capacity fluctuation, quick discharge, auto reboot, auto shutdown.......all come from battery connector . Read the threat Flickering Screen you'll see others try all solutions but never work because they don't know this is a hardware problem coming from this tiny connector.

Top Liked Posts