Rearth/Ringke Cases for the Nexus 6!

Search This thread

bluefalcon13

Jan 28, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Well I already noticed some yellowing on the case, and the port covers and overall feel of the plastic back and buttons was bothering me.

So I ordered a slim in black :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

RanceJustice

Feb 11, 2013
I have a Fusion Crystal for my Nexus 6. (Blue) Unfortunately, I too have noticed some yellowing. This is a bit disappointing, considering that I had a Ringke Fusion for my Nexus 4 and it never discolored; admittedly. Admittedly, the N4 model has black colored edges TPU and then a hard clear backplate so perhaps that is why. Overall, I like the features of the Ringke Fusion for my N6, though. If it wasn't for the yellowing, I would have few complaints if any. I wonder if they'd consider making versions of the Fusion clear variant that do not yellow, or perhaps a more "Nexus 4 or 5" style version where the bumper part is non-translucent? It seems the Fusion "mint" is the closest to what I describe...does it not yellow? I'd imagine both the Crystal and Smoke Black variants, would yellow given their translucent status...even if tinted, in the case of Smoke Black?

I like the "Fusion" design whereas it provides additional protection without much bulk or visual occlusion. How does this compare to the Ringke Slim? Think the Slim in Crystal will also yellow? Also, I noticed that Spigen has a newer "Ultra Hybrid" version that seems similar to the Ringke Fusion...anyone compare the two?

Last edited:

n3wDaddy77

Aug 17, 2012
Toronto
I have a Fusion Crystal for my Nexus 6. (Blue) Unfortunately, I too have noticed some yellowing. This is a bit disappointing, considering that I had a Ringke Fusion for my Nexus 4 and it never discolored; admittedly. Admittedly, the N4 model has black colored edges TPU and then a hard clear backplate so perhaps that is why. Overall, I like the features of the Ringke Fusion for my N6, though. If it wasn't for the yellowing, I would have few complaints if any. I wonder if they'd consider making versions of the Fusion clear variant that do not yellow, or perhaps a more "Nexus 4 or 5" style version where the bumper part is non-translucent? It seems the Fusion "mint" is the closest to what I describe...does it not yellow? I'd imagine both the Crystal and Smoke Black variants, would yellow given their translucent status...even if tinted, in the case of Smoke Black?

I like the "Fusion" design whereas it provides additional protection without much bulk or visual occlusion. How does this compare to the Ringke Slim? Think the Slim in Crystal will also yellow? Also, I noticed that Spigen has a newer "Ultra Hybrid" version that seems similar to the Ringke Fusion...anyone compare the two?

I have both the Spigen Ultra Hybrid (Metal Slate) as well as the Ringke Fusion (Smoke Black).

I love the Ringke for the tactility / raised design of the buttons compared to the Ultra Hybrid. The PC back of the Ringke also isn't as slippery as the Spigen. It is easier to insert headphones into the jack on the Spigen than the Ringke though. I can even use headphones with the Spigen inserted into my Seidio Dilex holster; whereas I can't do so with the Rearth.

I haven't seen any yellowing of the TPU on the Ringke yet (possibly due to the colour).

<EDIT> I forgot to mention that the Spigen Ultra Hybrid (Metal Slate) is very similar to the old Ringke Fusion for the Nexus 4. The TPU on the sides is opaque, matte and dark; so I don't believe it will suffer colour changes like the Ringke for the N6.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bluefalcon13

Jan 28, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, my clear fusion's tpu is starting to yellow. Since I saw it, I cannot un-see it and it is driving me bonkers. Get my black slim today though :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bluefalcon13

Jan 28, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Yea the yellowing is killing me on my clear case as well. Time to scoop up a slim and maybe a Bear Motion.
Just got my slim yesterday afternoon. Feels great in the hand, and the black version has an improved grip while maintaining the shape of the phone. Definitely my favorite case now. I have the fusion (clear tpu is starting to yellow), a cruzerlite bugdroid case (bugs me cause the top is bowed up, as if the corners aren't deep enough for the phone), and a casemate naked case (gaps around the camera, letting in dust and pocket stuff).

Reactions: NCtwin

NCtwin

Mar 1, 2011
California
Just got my slim yesterday afternoon. Feels great in the hand, and the black version has an improved grip while maintaining the shape of the phone. Definitely my favorite case now. I have the fusion (clear tpu is starting to yellow), a cruzerlite bugdroid case (bugs me cause the top is bowed up, as if the corners aren't deep enough for the phone), and a casemate naked case (gaps around the camera, letting in dust and pocket stuff).

I just got my slim in last night, so I'll give it a run today and see how I feel about it. I do miss being able to see the logo and everything from the Fusion.

For the record, the smoked edge Fusion doesn't yellow??

bluefalcon13

Jan 28, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
I just got my slim in last night, so I'll give it a run today and see how I feel about it. I do miss being able to see the logo and everything from the Fusion.

For the record, the smoked edge Fusion doesn't yellow??
It shouldn't, its the standard issue with clear TPU. It yellows quickly. As a side note, my green cruzerlite cases are no where near the original color on my old phones. I think the green also yellows but that just causes he green to change shades.

NCtwin

Mar 1, 2011
California
I wonder why they didn't make a navy blue Slim like they did with the Nexus 4. It was in my opinion the best color, and with the Nexus 6 actually being navy blue, seemed like a no-brainer to me.

bobski32

Nov 29, 2013
My ringke fusion clear is less then two weeks old and it started yellowing. Not happy, because I loved the case so much. I'm returning it and getting the slate spigen ultra.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
My ringke fusion clear is less then two weeks old and it started yellowing. Not happy, because I loved the case so much. I'm returning it and getting the slate spigen ultra.

That's unfortunate I just bought one and I'm waiting on it to be delivered. The Spigens are great o have 5 ultras and 0 issues with them. It never hurts to have extra cases these days.

hormosapiens

Oct 14, 2011
Hi all.
I just got N6 for 289 on ebay some days ago and I cant decide between Ringke slim crystal or Ringke fusion smoke black. Is there any yellowish issue with these cases after months of use? Any opinion from users would be appreciated.
Thanks

bkdodger

Jan 30, 2011
Hi all.
I just got N6 for 289 on ebay some days ago and I cant decide between Ringke slim crystal or Ringke fusion smoke black. Is there any yellowish issue with these cases after months of use? Any opinion from users would be appreciated.
Thanks
I have the Fusion smoke black no yellow and my go to case ..Definitely recommend.. Congrats on your new phone... And if you want to make that phone look bad @SS throw a carbon skin later on... It's a great combo with case..

S6E+ tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ringke Max Gunmetal Case + screen protector with Pics.... my quick review

Here is my own quick opinion / review of the Ringke Max gunmetal case with pics at the bottom as promised earlier in this thread.... I tried to show the thickness versus naked and how the edges are raised so the screen will never touch when lying the phone flat.......Note that in the pics the clear piece that covers the nexus logo on the back was misaligned at the time.... I just didn't notice it atm when I quickly put the case back on but this lines up perfectly normally. The case itself has three parts, one softer material that directly covers the phone, then another piece that fits onto the back and covers around the camera while holding the clear piece that covers the nexus logo............

I love the case personally as it provides just enough grip. The material is not super grippy but also not slippery either. It is in between with just enough grip to where I can hold the phone or confidently place it in my lap without the fear of it sliding onto the ground. I like how the material is not too grippy where it picks up every bit of lint when being placed in my pocket too....In fact the material does not attract lint or dust at all really..... When the phone lays out on its back it will barely wobbly and almost lays perfectly flat with the case on which is a big plus also...I can now text and use the phone without it wobbling back and forth heavily .The camera is perfectly protected when laying flat also..... I did not think I would like the dust covers but they actually fit very nicely and stay in place when tucked in the cutouts perfectly . The hole for the lanyard on the bottom left is nice but I don't ever see myself using it. You do have to reach a little farther with your thumb if you're using the phone one handed with your right hand from that angle but that is not a problem if you have big hands like myself. The button cutouts feel great and are easily pressed no issues there at all.....

I had just put the Rearth max defender screen protector on before taking these photos with my wife's Note 4 last night. I used the screen protector that came on the phone with the white tab on the bottom left for around a month... This one feels very nice much smoother than that stock piece that came on the phone. My fingers glide nicely with zero resistance... I cannot tell I have a screen protector on unless I see the smudges from oils on fingers which it does pick up eventually I noticed... Not a big deal because fingers have to be super oily to even notice after using the phone all day....

Anyways I have absolutely zero complaints about the gunmetal max. I love how the phone feels very well protected while having a slim profile at the same time. The case itself feels well built with a solid premium feel to it. The phone feels protected and I am confident it would survive a few foot bounce and drop accidentally from my 4 year old easily. I highly recommend this case to anyone looking for protection while also having a slim profile case without adding unnecessary bulk.... :good: Anyways if you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be glad to answer. Hope this helps someone in their choice for a case for their Nexus 6.
    I8yulpN.jpg

wD9hp3W.jpg

sUjBv9X.jpg

Naked Above^ vs with Case Below
    akHtppT.jpg

8tbl7SJ.jpg

pdWpGY5.jpg

kEFb8z0.jpg

jVmklva.jpg

zdMX3gw.jpg

HIdpmag.jpg

wOzzdZ8.jpg

7X4phkf.jpg
    Thought I'd post a few pics of the White ringke max rearth case. It's Like a slimmer otter box commuter style case. and for only $12 Great case. Added a few more pics of the case apart. plus a pic of the slim case. I much prefer the max. The black slim is a fingerprint magnet as well, not as bad as the phone itself but still shows alot. pics are not the greatest. included a pic of the phone after the case was removed. It does leave a pattern on the phone but wipes right off.
    Just got the Fusion in today and I have to say I may have a new favorite case.
    Enjoying these YouTube videos. Keep them up
    Thanks. I enjoy making them, especially if it helps others. After the last two Ringke's come in I'll be out of cases to review. :laugh:

I'm going to move on to N6 ROM overviews and such next. I think people would be interested in that.
    is there any link of review for ringke fusion clear or smoke version
    I have the Ringke fusion clear. I didn't do a review but it's a nice case. I do notice some scratches on the back but it's not very noticeable.

The buttons feel really nice to press with the click sensation. At first the USB dust cover didn't fit well but then it started to fit nice in the hole. Perfect cutouts.

Overall I like the case and prefer it over the ultra hybrid since the buttons are a lot easier to press. Definitely worth it. I think I'd get the smoke black though, it looks better. I've had one on my oneplus-one but went with the crystal view since it was available first.