[Q&A] [ROOT] TMO/VZW/INTL (More variants soon!) Root your LG G4 with Low Effort Root

Search This thread

Onclot

Feb 20, 2011
Root Confirmed on Sprint, However I can no longer DL anything from the play store. Not quite sure what the issue is. I have changed SU settings and rebooted. I don't know how to Wipe the Dalvik Cache on the Sprint version so unsure how to proceed. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Figured it out! All I had to do was clear the Play store Cache and data and Play Services as well, restart play store and all is right in the world.

Last edited:

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Root Confirmed on Sprint, However I can no longer DL anything from the play store. Not quite sure what the issue is. I have changed SU settings and rebooted. I don't know how to Wipe the Dalvik Cache on the Sprint version so unsure how to proceed. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

A few people have reported this. Not sure if they fixed it. Search the main dev thread and you might find a solution.

Onclot

Feb 20, 2011
A few people have reported this. Not sure if they fixed it. Search the main dev thread and you might find a solution.

Thanks the_scotsman! I didn't find anything that seemed relevant, however I looked at the post about error code 489? I believe and followed the suggested solution to erase the data and Cache and restart the app. Worked like a charm!

Reactions: the_scotsman

lgphreak

Jul 12, 2015
Step by step help for LG G4 root

Extract the tar.gz file you downloaded, and move the resulting "system.rooted.phonemodel.img" file to the root of your phone's internal SD card with MTP mode. Do not rename this file, or move it into any folders.

Download and unzip the LG_Root.zip in your preferred location (DESKTOP)

Enable ADB debugging on your device (AKA: USB DEBUGGING)

In the root of LG_Root folder start a command prompt
Inside of LG_Root folder hold shift and right click a blank space you should see "Open command window here"

Power off your device
When the device is powered off, hold volume up and insert a USB cable connected to the PC
Wait for the drivers to install (YOUR PHONE SHOULD BE IN DOWNLOAD MODE)

Double click ports.bat (This will give us the COM port in which our device is connected we are looking for the Diag port)
You may exit this command prompt when you have your COM port number, keep the other command prompt open

Let's run Send_Command.exe (It couldn't connect? Make sure you COM port number is correct it varies)
Code:

Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4

Type "id" and press enter (no quotes).
You should get back some text starting with "uid=(0)root gid=(0)root"

Run the command specified in the section below titled 'Commands to Run' to flash the rooted system image.

dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.vs98611a.img bs=8192 seek=65536 count=548352 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0

After a few minutes of sitting, you should get back a "#" prompt. This indicates the process has finished.
Type "LEAVE" (no quotes) and press enter. Your phone should reboot, and your phone will be rooted.

Reactions: rogconnect

shbang

Jul 25, 2015
Finally went ahead and took the update to vs986 11a to get root. *sigh* I backed up my stock 10b image, mounted it in linux, and applied a modified SuperSU installation, but I was too unsure about the "dd" to /dev/block/mmcblk0. I've only has this device a few hours. I figure any unlocked bootloader we get is gonna have to work on vs986 11a, so I might as well update, root via dev's image, and not risk bricking my device.

Well I'm happy to be a rooted LG G4 owner. Time to see what I can get away with with this locked bootloader. So much bloatware to remove I don't even know where to begin.

Btw, that rooted Download Mode is cool, also very sketchy. Never seen that in a device before. I'm coming from the Nexus series of phones.

playgameo

Oct 30, 2014
The OP stated in the original post that this was not for AT&T. I'm curious why you'd attempt it!?!?

It was updated to include ATT, that's when I attempted it. I just didn't think to update my phone to match the image's version before rooting. Stupid mistake on my part. Hopefully a kdz will surface or someone will figure out some way to fix this.

donnybright

Aug 24, 2013
Houston
Proof of this or source for saying the T-Mobile BL is unlocked? Cause its not that i know of, hope im wrong, but i dont think anyone has cracked the BL yet. LG only unlocks the Euro version.
-----EDIT-----

Sorry i just saw the other post about unlocking it, i have never been happier to be wrong, we even have someone working on TWRP already. Stuff moving so fast today i cant keep up!!! :)

TWRP is up and running for T-Mobile, now we just need roms!

Eric618

Nov 15, 2011
It was updated to include ATT, that's when I attempted it. I just didn't think to update my phone to match the image's version before rooting. Stupid mistake on my part. Hopefully a kdz will surface or someone will figure out some way to fix this.

I never saw that it was updated. My bad.

jamtre

Jul 20, 2015
No problems with VS986 11A

Everything worked flawlessly on my Verizon VS986/11A. I have a 128 gig SD card, I left it in place. Everything remained as it was post-root, no problems with exFAT.

jdizzle30

Feb 22, 2015
Can't connect to port com5

I have the proper drivers installed and my computer recognizes my AT&T G4. When I enter the sendcommand.exe in command prompt, using proper port number, I continue getting a cannot connect error. Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

davelee1054

Apr 22, 2013
Is it safe to uninstall system bloat apps? I remember whenever system apps were uninstalled on the LG Optimus G (stock ROM) it would boot loop with security error. Is that still a thing? Or can they be safely uninstalled?

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

I have the proper drivers installed and my computer recognizes my AT&T G4. When I enter the sendcommand.exe in command prompt, using proper port number, I continue getting a cannot connect error. Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?
That means there is some other process on your computer occupying the connection on COM5.

Reactions: jdizzle30

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member

Is your device in download mode? Does it show in device manager while in download mode?

jdizzle30

Feb 22, 2015
Is it safe to uninstall system bloat apps? I remember whenever system apps were uninstalled on the LG Optimus G (stock ROM) it would boot loop with security error. Is that still a thing? Or can they be safely uninstalled?

---------- Post added at 04:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 AM ----------

That means there is some other process on your computer occupying the connection on COM5.

Thank you for the rapid response davelee1054! So if another process is occupying COM5, how do I go about ending said process/processes? Would a simple restart of my computer do the trick? Not trying to be too noobish! I rooted my G3 flawlessly using a very similar command prompt process after the lolipop update...

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Is your device in download mode? Does it show in device manager while in download mode?

Yes it enters download mode and I ran the adb command to see if my device was being recognized as per step 4 on the how to guide the original root method post refers to. I didn't check to see if it shows up in device manager while in download mode. I'll get back to you on that. Thanks for the rapid response. It's nice NOT getting my balls busted for not being the most advanced root enthusiast in the world!

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 AM ----------

Thank you for the rapid response davelee1054! So if another process is occupying COM5, how do I go about ending said process/processes? Would a simple restart of my computer do the trick? Not trying to be too noobish! I rooted my G3 flawlessly using a very similar command prompt process after the lolipop update...

---------- Post added at 03:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Yes g4 appears in device manager while in download mode

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Proof of concept, all you guys having problems now is the reason why they were trying to create an easy way to do this along with unlocking boot loader, can you guys couldn't wait and started crying all over the place, this is a good phone, it will eventually happen.
    With all due respect, some of you guys are not advanced enough to be trying this. Not that it's overly difficult, but you are asking some very rudimentary questions. If you brick, you've got absolutely no one to blame but yourselves.

Agreed. I've had rooted galaxy s1-s4, flashing a new ROM very couple weeks for the last 4 years. For the first time, I'm in no rush to root. I suggest unless somebody has an urgent application that needs root, just wait for the one click root to come out. That's the same recommendation the devs made.
    How does this method work?

Hello XDA, this is my first official post and am interested in helping the community. I have the t-mobile g4 and have successfully flashed the root image. I understand that the LOCKED bootloader verifies the signed boot sources such as the Recovery, LAF etc.. I read the the system image is to large to be verified this way so the kernel uses dm-verity to verify the system as its loaded and run. So I have a disconnect on how root method works. How is su added to /system/xbin/ without messing up the verification? Does the img file modify any of the bootloader or signing data or is it simply su injected into the file system data and /system/xbin?

Also seperate questions In attempts to unlock the botoloader I backed up LAF and dd'd dev zero over it so booting into LG's firmware update mode doesnt work and fails over to fast boot, but you cannot boot img files? Does the bootloader verify these files to? Also tried to dd the twrp img for the H851 over LAF just to test if the bootloader checks it if its signed, it didnt load and also went to fastboot.

last question can use dd to backup the LG H851's Offical unlocked bootloader and flash that to another variant to "unlock" it or will this fail?

Thanks for any responses, sorry if this is in the wrong place im new to XDA. I have a decent understanding of linux and computers so no need to be high-level.

==Update==
    Just found out that to unlock the bootloader on the H811 you go to dev settings and OEM Unlock, tutorial for flashing twrp found here (http://xdaforums.com/tmobile-g4/orig-development/recovery-twrp-2-8-7-0-touch-recovery-t3164874)
    How would we inject root into that img? Looks like autoprime said they're about done for now and that "the info is out and it is up to users to share stock system.imgs and others helping out to root them." So how exactly would we go about rooting?

Check @rightonreds posts for info on how to inject root.
    Rooted Vs986 10b

Thank you for root, took about 10 minutes, start to finish. I did not backup original system image, just used somebody's uploaded stock and the rooted image to root of internal memory. Then did the 4 commands.

Now off to donate. I never promised anything, but $20 split 4 ways seems to be the typical. If you use this, it just seems fair that you give back ($). Alas, you are who you are.