[MOD] [ROM & Google Play Services] [v7.3.29] SystemUpdateService Wakelock Fix

Search This thread

uansari1

Jul 27, 2008
Karachi
Even Disable Services app isn't working anymore. The SystemUpdateService keeps turning off even when the phone isn't rebooted.

jib@rmi.ge

Aug 9, 2015
Tbilisi
What about config_forceEnabledComponents?

Mine is slimlp 5.1.1 on u8833 (Huawei y300). In values/arrays.xml, the place with "config_disabledComponents" is as indicated.
However just after it there is this:
Code:
    <string-array name="config_forceEnabledComponents">
        <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService</item>
        <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService</item>
    </string-array>
Should not something be done about it?

adnansakarkar

Nov 10, 2014
Mumbai
Dear @Calkulin, can you please tell me what is to be done?
I'm bit confused what to flash and how to activate this mod?
Should i flash both the files and its done or anything other than that is required?
Please help me out.
I'm using SGS3 I9300 with CM 12 Rom and Nitro X Spark Mod.

Last edited:

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
For AOSP 5.1.1 Lollipop Users

UPDATE 01, October, 2015 ::::

I am Back with More Information about Wakelocks and battery drains.

Lollipop has a famous Mobile Radio Active bug that has been coming to light recently. This is one of the biggest battery drainers in Android Lollipop and there is no official fix from Google as far as I know. There's a lot of info flying around in XDA about patches and such but those patches do not fix the core problem. They only help report the correct battery usage. This is NOT the fault of your custom ROM Maker, or Manufacturer. This is Google's fault, and as expected, they know about this issue but are prolonging a fix. The bug happens when Android OS will continually try to access the Radio in your phone even if no request for data are being transmitted. So far as I know. If someone has better information, make a thread or post, and pm me.
Once there is an absolute solution available and has been proven to work, I will update this thread.

In the past couple months. I tried Every software you can throw at Android, but its misbehavior, and limiting users, continues to escalate as version numbers go up. Lollipop coupled with Google Play Services has been one such Problem.

Lollipop has a constant need for your data. Mix this with Google Play Services, and you have a battery recipe of 5 hours max on a Modern fairly powerful device.

For those of you on Lollipop AOSP Builds 5.1.1 Suffering from Battery Drains. There are a Few Options which I will list that can help you figure out your issues. This MAY or MAY NOT work for your ROM.

Root users Only - Install the following. (Please note in some cases, SELinux in your ROM should be set to Permissive)

1 - AFWall+ from Fdroid : https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=dev.ukanth.ufirewall

Set it to BLACKLIST Mode - and Block Data Access from Apps that do not need it. Be Careful.

2 - AdAway from Fdroid https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

3 - Your ROM should have Privacy Guard or App Ops - Long Press on the App then Deny/Ignore *Location, *Wakeup *Keep awake for Pesky Apps like Google Play Services and Google PlayStore. You can also disable Autostart for some apps.

Apps like Greenify, Xposed, etc, will cause more problems for average users than they are worth. More often than not, these type of Apps limit functionality if the User does not know exactly how to use them.

4 - Use Disable Service to Disable Useless Services from Google Play Services *CAUTIONARY, Leave it alone if you don't know what you are doing* - I personally disable the following by using Search in Disable Service:

Ad*, Fit*, Wear*, Youtube, Kids, Cast, Games, GoogleNetworkLocation*(cautionary) - This may or may not save Ram when loading Services but I do this because I do not like Google Bloat.
If you use Google maps, you may want to leave Googlenetwork location. Do not disable "Network Location Service".

Do NOT Disable System Update Service as this will causing pesky Google Services to hold thousands of Wakelocks.

5 - In Developer Options, enable Captive Portal Detection. This will disallow Data connection unless a Connection to Google Servers can be established. Essentially, this will save Data usage caused by some rebel Apps. [This setting is ON by default even if it is not in your ROM]

6 - If you do not have a Data plan but you have MMS Messaging, you can create a new APN that allows ONLY MMS. [If your APN does not stick, and keeps reverting back to another auto selected APN, delete all APNs and only keep the Default APN, edit it > APN Type > remove everything except for MMS, no worries, all APNs can be restored to defaults later if need be.

7 - If you do not use Google Maps, in Location, set it to Device Only.

8 - Install Wake Lock Detector - it should give you information on what is causing the Wakelock. Usually it is an App that uses the System or Google Play Services to request Data, and hits multiple times. [Lollipop has a pesky mobile radio active bug, which should have been fixed by now, check with your ROM dev]

9 - Remove unncessary Syncs - *I leave Contacts, and Calendar on.

10 - In the Dialer, if you do not use Google's lookup services, you can uncheck Forward/Reverse lookups. Now the Phone/dialer will not hold unnecessary wakelock when you have no data connection. Your provider automatically sends This data when a phone call is received anyway and this service is mostly useless unless you are constantly connected.
Not Rooted users can also try

*NO ROOT Firewall. *This will make a VPN Connection but its internal only. It gives fine grain control over Data transfer but by itself it does not prevent Google Services from playing dirty and continually turn on the CPU. It saves bandwidth.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

Its a little complicated but once you understand it, its fairly simple and can help save unnecessary data hits and even prevent ads loading up on your limited mobile data plans.

APN AND MOBILE DATA SETTINGS [Lollipop]

Starting with Lollipop, Mobile Data HAS to be on for you to get MMS. Apps cannot turn on Mobile Data when they need to. Google wants you connected Constantly. The problem is When there is a bad signal, Not only will your Phone continue to try to search for a Connection, it will also continually try to Sync data and constantly Search for your GPS / AGPS location keeping your CPU awake and draining your battery.

1) If you do not have a Data Plan, and would still like to get MMS, Get your proper APN settings from your Carrier.

Edit your APN and in APN Type remove Default,Suppl and leave MMS.

2) If you do have a Data Plan, but you don't want Google to constantly be connecting, Restrict Background Mobile Data by going into Data Usage > Scroll down and you will see Google Play Services and Play Store. Select them and Restrict Background Data. Also make sure in AppOps or Privacy Guard to turn off Wake Up and Keep Awake (I personally disable Location and Auto start) as well but that is my personal preference only. I prefer syncing manually.)

This will prevent further battery drains unless you want Google to sync on your Data plan.

Conclusion :
If I have more information I will update this thread. Please read instead of filling up threads with useless, and unnecessary questions. Google first for information.

OH NOES! My Phone is messed up, Plllleeeez HAAAALP is NOT going to Help you.

I wish everyone the best in solving their Google problems.

Last edited:

jib@rmi.ge

Aug 9, 2015
Tbilisi
Cannot find Captive Portal Detection

In 5) you mention this option among developer options, but I cannot find it there. Mine is Lollipop 5.1.1 (slimlp by chil360 for u8833), there are lots of developer options but not the one even resembling captive portal detection. There is an unnamed list of 8 entries, then there are sublists entitled Debugging (14 entries), Input (2 entries), Drawing (7 entries), Hardware accelerated rendering (8 entries), Media (2 entries), Monitoring (4 entries), Apps (3 entries) and LAN settings (1 entry).

ocd_amp

May 28, 2014
Its enabled by default if you don't see a setting for it.

In 5) you mention this option among developer options, but I cannot find it there. Mine is Lollipop 5.1.1 (slimlp by chil360 for u8833), there are lots of developer options but not the one even resembling captive portal detection. There is an unnamed list of 8 entries, then there are sublists entitled Debugging (14 entries), Input (2 entries), Drawing (7 entries), Hardware accelerated rendering (8 entries), Media (2 entries), Monitoring (4 entries), Apps (3 entries) and LAN settings (1 entry).

imcrazyz

Jan 29, 2015

2) If you do have a Data Plan, but you don't want Google to constantly be connecting, Restrict Background Mobile Data by going into Data Usage > Scroll down and you will see Google Play Services and Play Store. Select them and Restrict Background Data. Also make sure in AppOps or Privacy Guard to turn off Wake Up and Keep Awake (I personally disable Location and Auto start) as well but that is my personal preference only. I prefer syncing manually.)

This will prevent further battery drains unless you want Google to sync on your Data plan.

Is it applicable to this issue? https://code.google.com/p/android/i...in&colspec=ID Type Status Owner Summary Stars
As you know this mobile radio active issue has arose since 5.x lollipop.

Reactions: jib@rmi.ge

guilhem_h

Dec 8, 2010
Sorry I didn't read the whole topic...
I allready unchecked the "wake-up" and "keep awake" option in the privacy guard app : does this mod do anything else ?

flupke02

Dec 13, 2013
Amsterdam
Should this work for Play Services 7.8.99?

Firstly, thanks for the good work.

I used an earlier patch when I was on 11s, which worked ok. I am now on Oxygenos 1.0.3 with Google Play Services 7.8.99 (2134222-438). I tried flashing the patch just now, but it does not seem to do anything, still the same version number.

Does this mean the patch version just isn't compatible with my play version, and if so, is there anything I can do about it? Or is there something causing this?

abilash.s.90

Sep 14, 2015
Doesn't matter, flash the 438 version if on Lollipop or 030 if on KitKat

I guess you forgot to post the screenshot? But if your current version is 030-038, flash the 030 one, 430-436, flash the 430, 438, flash the 438 or 440-448, flash the 440 version

Hey @Calkulin! I'm on One Plus Two (Not Rooted) and I have severe wake lock battery drain issues. I tried both versions and it failed. My version is 448

A few questions.

1. Should my phone be rooted to get this patch to work?
2. Is there any other patch for 448?

journeyman

Mar 27, 2006
Lollipop 5.1.1 and GPS 8.1.15
to be honest, i monitor my 1+1 the 3 last days and seems that the wakelocks has been dissapear...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since this issue seems to affecting a lot of people, I decided to post what I use to fix the issue. Basically what this mod does is remove the command that acquires the wakelock, so it never exist.

Note: If the app updates itself, the wakelock will be back(unless Google fixes it), so I will try to keep this up to date with the latest version until it's not needed anymore.

To install, flash the zip in recovery

Modded Google Play Services

xx0 versions are for all DPIs, so it covers xx2, xx4, xx6 & xx8 in 1 file

KitKat v7.3.29(030) - All DPI - armeabi-v7a - Older Android versions that don't have the system/priv-app folder, you can rename the priv-app folder in the zip to app
    md5 - 8bfac34b48a5cd05773ac85c714927c2

Lollipop v7.3.29(430) - All DPI - armeabi-v7a
    md5 - ddf795c287546d3545fab2a3140654ea

Lollipop v7.3.29(438) - 480 DPI - armeabi-v7a
    md5 - 8627599d7dd12e5b850fc3b41f41f54a

Lollipop v7.3.29(440) - All DPI - arm64-v8a - Being worked on
    md5 -

Modded Framework

This fixes the root cause of the issue, so the service will operate properly now. The modded Google Play Services versions are not needed with this
    Be sure to enable the SystemUpdateService for Google Play Services & Google Services Framework if you use DisableService or similar app

YNG1TAS0YL

Instructions for Modifying Framework

Decompile framework-res.apk and modify values/array.xml

Before - If you don't see this code, then your ROM is not the cause of this wakelock
    Code:
        <string-array name="config_disabledComponents">
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateActivity</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver</item>
        </string-array>
    After
    Code:
        <string-array name="config_disabledComponents">
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateActivity</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gsf/com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateActivity</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$Receiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$ActiveReceiver</item>
            <item>com.google.android.gms/com.google.android.gms.update.SystemUpdateService$SecretCodeReceiver</item>
        </string-array>
    v7.3.29 is now up.....
    [GUIDE][HowTo][Tools]Framework-Res.apk

Hello everyone.

Edit:::This post is for people who are on CM11 based Roms which are not already patched. I put it in this thread because it is attracting the MOST attention. If you are the same ROM as Calkulin, he has fixed it and just Flash his framework, but if you are on another Cyanogenmod 11 based ROM, THIS is the post for you.

Due to this being a Major problem for MANY people, I was getting many requests asking me to fix Frameworks. I cannot do this as each Framework is ROM specific and there are many Roms as you know. So instead of ignoring everyone, I am taking my time out to write another more detailed post.

So to make it easy, I have put together all the Tools + more in this simple file along with Instructions. It is really about Common Sense. If there is something you do not understand, try your favorite search engine. This post is becoming full of junk posts which hide important posts that contain valuable information. So I am urging everyone to READ first. It is better to read for 2 hours and Fix your problem in 30 seconds than NOT Reading and trying to get someone else to fix it for 2 hours

NOTE: WHEN I Type in caps, It does not mean I am yelling. It means PAY ATTENTION.

1) YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR OWN ROM'S FRAMEWORK

2) YES THIS WORKS

3) YOU HAVE TO UNDO THE CHANGES YOU MADE - Scripts, AppOps, etc etc. UNDO it. Its not Needed after this fix.

4) DON'T BUG YOUR ROM DEVS - THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS. EITHER THEY WILL FIX IT OR THEY WON'T. IF THEY DON'T, THEN YOU HAVE THIS GUIDE.

If you are UNWilling to read, or act, and expect everything to be fixed by someone else, buy an iPhone and call it a day.

Basic Computer Knowledge is Required. Such as.

1) Common Sense
    2) How to open a Command Prompt.
    3) How to Type.

DOWNLOAD APKTOOL : FIX YOUR OWN FRAMEWORK

IF YOU WOULD RATHER SKIP THE DOWNLOAD AND ONLY WANT THE INSTRUCTIONS, THEY ARE POSTED BELOW

Updated Text for Clarity

All tools are included. Except 7zip and Java. You need to download and install Java and 7zip or if you have them as portable programs, you need to point your windows environment variables to where you Java and 7zip are. Google that.

1) Place framework-res.apk into THIS (Where you have your apktool, etc) directory. Hold Shift, Right Click "Open Command Window Here"

2) Decompile Framework-res.apk

C:\{This directory where your apktool is}> java -jar apktool.jar d framework-res.apk

3) Modify Arrays.xml Look at the code on the first Page of this post please

4) Compile Framework-res (from Folder back to apk) - > Again, Shift Right Click > Open Command Prompt

C:\{This directory where your apktool is}> java -jar apktool.jar b framework-res

***It will start and it will say (W : Could not find sources) but thats ok let it continue. It may mention Translation errors. Ignore that. This is because there is no use of smali / backsmali (*These are needed in some cases to "install" a framework, with command "apktool if" but it is not needed here)

6) The NEW framework-res.apk will be in the dist folder located inside the framework-res folder in the same directory as your apktool.jar

7) Using 7zip, Open BOTH the newly created framework-res.apk from the DIST folder, and the original framework-res.apk.

FROM the Original Framework-res.apk, Select the META-INF and AndroidManifest.xml, and Drag and Drop them into the Newly created framework-res.apk which you also have opened inside of 7zip.

You should have 2 7zip windows open. 1 with the old framework-res.apk on the left, 1 with the new framework-res.apk on the right.

Note: Open the apk INSIDE of 7zip. Do NOT Extract the Apk. The APK is already compressed. However it contains SOME files that should NOT be further compressed.
    You do not want resources.arsc file to be compressed because Android will not read it. If you look at Compressed and Uncompressed sizes for resources.arsc, they should be the same!

Close 7zip Program window.

8) Almost done. You need to ZIPALIGN this new apk - It is recommended. So Open another Command window within this directory again and type

C:\{This directory where your zipalign.exe is}>zipalign -f -v 4 framework-res.apk framework-res-za.apk

This will create a new Zipaligned framework-res-za.apk - > Rename this new zipaligned framework-res-za.apk back to framework-res.apk.

9) THE END - Make Flashable zip with provided Template by copying the NEW framework-res.apk into Flashable_Zip_Template_Directory /system/framework/ (This is where your new apk should be)

Use 7Zip to Zip it - Open 7zip, Drag and drop META-INF + system, Add to Archive, Zip it using Normal Compression.

Check it to see if your Zip has META-INF and System > Go in system and see if it has framework-res.apk.

How to get this Framework-res.apk into your ROM There are 3 ways. This is as noob friendly as I can type it out.

1) Flash the zip you made (Easiest Method, I don't see why you would bother with option 2 or 3 but I am putting it here for those who need to feel like Command Prompt busters.)

OR

2) Copy Framework-res.apk into your SD, Go in Recovery, Mount System, Copy the file into /system/framework, then fix permissions.

3) ADB

If you prefer ADB, You need to first make sure you have ADB access from either your Rom or your Recovery.

You can do this in your terminal by typing >

adb start-server
    adb remount root -rw
    adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/
    adb shell
    su
    chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
    chown root.root /system/framework/framework-res.apk

Wipe your Dalvik Cache and Cache, then Reboot your device and you are done.

UPDATE : Further research indicates that Simply changing Framework-res.apk is not enough for ROMS that use their own theming such as Carbon ROM and AOKP, on certain Sony devices which I tested. Also, you cannot Flash such ROMS with the modified Framework-res baked into the ROM. In order to successfully modify the Framework - Here are the steps :

1) Remove any Theming from your ROM. - Turn off Dark Carbon, etc etc.
    2) Before Decompiling, look for Frameworks.jar or Frameworks2.jar type files in /Framework and copy them to your PC.
    3) Use Apktool command "if" to Install all the Framework files First before Decompiling.
    4) Once installed, you can then Modify these Values, then Flash them to your ROM.
    5) Always make sure to do a Backup in recovery first.

Other Solutions are to find an Updated ROM that does not suffer from these issues. If the Dev is not Merging their ROM with latest CM Upstream changes, IMO, that ROM is not worth having. Hope this helped those who are still affected by this.​
    And FYI, I'm still experimenting with how to stop it from updating without breaking other things, so hopefully I can have a solution by the weekend
    For AOSP 5.1.1 Lollipop Users

UPDATE 01, October, 2015 ::::

I am Back with More Information about Wakelocks and battery drains.

Lollipop has a famous Mobile Radio Active bug that has been coming to light recently. This is one of the biggest battery drainers in Android Lollipop and there is no official fix from Google as far as I know. There's a lot of info flying around in XDA about patches and such but those patches do not fix the core problem. They only help report the correct battery usage. This is NOT the fault of your custom ROM Maker, or Manufacturer. This is Google's fault, and as expected, they know about this issue but are prolonging a fix. The bug happens when Android OS will continually try to access the Radio in your phone even if no request for data are being transmitted. So far as I know. If someone has better information, make a thread or post, and pm me.
    Once there is an absolute solution available and has been proven to work, I will update this thread.

In the past couple months. I tried Every software you can throw at Android, but its misbehavior, and limiting users, continues to escalate as version numbers go up. Lollipop coupled with Google Play Services has been one such Problem.

Lollipop has a constant need for your data. Mix this with Google Play Services, and you have a battery recipe of 5 hours max on a Modern fairly powerful device.

For those of you on Lollipop AOSP Builds 5.1.1 Suffering from Battery Drains. There are a Few Options which I will list that can help you figure out your issues. This MAY or MAY NOT work for your ROM.

Root users Only - Install the following. (Please note in some cases, SELinux in your ROM should be set to Permissive)

1 - AFWall+ from Fdroid : https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=dev.ukanth.ufirewall

Set it to BLACKLIST Mode - and Block Data Access from Apps that do not need it. Be Careful.

2 - AdAway from Fdroid https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway

3 - Your ROM should have Privacy Guard or App Ops - Long Press on the App then Deny/Ignore *Location, *Wakeup *Keep awake for Pesky Apps like Google Play Services and Google PlayStore. You can also disable Autostart for some apps.

Apps like Greenify, Xposed, etc, will cause more problems for average users than they are worth. More often than not, these type of Apps limit functionality if the User does not know exactly how to use them.

4 - Use Disable Service to Disable Useless Services from Google Play Services *CAUTIONARY, Leave it alone if you don't know what you are doing* - I personally disable the following by using Search in Disable Service:

Ad*, Fit*, Wear*, Youtube, Kids, Cast, Games, GoogleNetworkLocation*(cautionary) - This may or may not save Ram when loading Services but I do this because I do not like Google Bloat.
    If you use Google maps, you may want to leave Googlenetwork location. Do not disable "Network Location Service".

Do NOT Disable System Update Service as this will causing pesky Google Services to hold thousands of Wakelocks.

5 - In Developer Options, enable Captive Portal Detection. This will disallow Data connection unless a Connection to Google Servers can be established. Essentially, this will save Data usage caused by some rebel Apps. [This setting is ON by default even if it is not in your ROM]

6 - If you do not have a Data plan but you have MMS Messaging, you can create a new APN that allows ONLY MMS. [If your APN does not stick, and keeps reverting back to another auto selected APN, delete all APNs and only keep the Default APN, edit it > APN Type > remove everything except for MMS, no worries, all APNs can be restored to defaults later if need be.

7 - If you do not use Google Maps, in Location, set it to Device Only.

8 - Install Wake Lock Detector - it should give you information on what is causing the Wakelock. Usually it is an App that uses the System or Google Play Services to request Data, and hits multiple times. [Lollipop has a pesky mobile radio active bug, which should have been fixed by now, check with your ROM dev]

9 - Remove unncessary Syncs - *I leave Contacts, and Calendar on.

10 - In the Dialer, if you do not use Google's lookup services, you can uncheck Forward/Reverse lookups. Now the Phone/dialer will not hold unnecessary wakelock when you have no data connection. Your provider automatically sends This data when a phone call is received anyway and this service is mostly useless unless you are constantly connected.
    Not Rooted users can also try

*NO ROOT Firewall. *This will make a VPN Connection but its internal only. It gives fine grain control over Data transfer but by itself it does not prevent Google Services from playing dirty and continually turn on the CPU. It saves bandwidth.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall

Its a little complicated but once you understand it, its fairly simple and can help save unnecessary data hits and even prevent ads loading up on your limited mobile data plans.

Starting with Lollipop, Mobile Data HAS to be on for you to get MMS. Apps cannot turn on Mobile Data when they need to. Google wants you connected Constantly. The problem is When there is a bad signal, Not only will your Phone continue to try to search for a Connection, it will also continually try to Sync data and constantly Search for your GPS / AGPS location keeping your CPU awake and draining your battery.

1) If you do not have a Data Plan, and would still like to get MMS, Get your proper APN settings from your Carrier.

Edit your APN and in APN Type remove Default,Suppl and leave MMS.

Conclusion :
    If I have more information I will update this thread. Please read instead of filling up threads with useless, and unnecessary questions. Google first for information.

OH NOES! My Phone is messed up, Plllleeeez HAAAALP is NOT going to Help you.