[Tutorial] Increase Resolution and Quality of photos sent by WhatsApp (ROOT)

Search This thread

HDxDaniel

Aug 24, 2013
This is the tutorial:

0 - Download a file explorer and grant superuser permission (I personally use ES FILE EXPLORER).
1 - Locate this folder: /data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/
2 - Open the file "com.whatsapp_preferences.xml".

+ Mod image quality (jpg compression level ?)

Look for this line: <int name="image_quality" value="80" />

Change its value (80 by default) to whatever you want (a number between 1 to 99, you shouldn't use 0 or 100 I think).

RECOMMENDED VALUE: 90
Info: at 99 your photos won't have any compression (best quality), but the file size will be MUCH bigger (very close to the original size)

+ Mod image resolution

Look for this line: <int name="image_max_edge" value="1600" />

Change 1600 to the value you want, for example 3200 or 6400 (or bigger).
Info: I think this changes the maximum width allowed for an image. By default, if you want to send a 4K photo (for example) the sent image will be downsized to 1600px. Therefore if you want to send bigger photos change 1600 to 6400 or whatever.

++++

Results (try it by yourself too :D and tell me):

Here is a 3500x3500 photo, the original file: http://s1.postimg.org/o5rwefjm7/Screenshot_2015_09_16_16_36_20.png
And this is the sent image: http://s27.postimg.org/84yk2ooxv/Screenshot_2015_09_16_16_36_45.png

As you see it keeps the same resolution, you can also increase the quality to 99 to send photos with almost no compression, so the sent image and the original are almost the same, but I don't recommend that value because it takes longer to upload (if you have bad internet like me you won't want to increase the quality to 99), so you should try 90 (which I think is the best quality/compression level).
srry4myEnglish

I tried it a long time ago, and the preferences defined in the receiver's phone acts as a bottleneck. Most likely that this is deliberately done by the developers to reduce the effect of local file modifications.

Last edited:

Naona64

Apr 25, 2016
its not working.. i can't change the value, it comes to the default value after using whatsapp. Please help me
. . .

dattafilthyd

Mar 5, 2012
This is a nice tutorial. But will not work.
As the new version of whatsapp re-writes the file with original values on start.
So, to solve this, kill whatsapp. Now from any root file explorer, change the permission - remove the write privileges for all (440).
Then open whatsapp. Now the mod is applied only for that session of the app.
Also you might need to change the max image size. <int name="image_max_kbytes"value="8128"/> (I've put it as 8mb)

(PS Extra info-But you' think won't it make all the settings fixed and any setting change from within the app won't reflect. Don't worry whatsapp automatically changes the permission with write privileges (660)). Hence can't have the mod be permanent.
So Cheers.

Last edited:

sahafdeen

Aug 4, 2014
CHENNAI
This is a nice tutorial. But will not work.
As the new version of whatsapp re-writes the file with original values on start.
So, to solve this, kill whatsapp. Now from any root file explorer, change the permission - remove the write privileges for all (440).
Then open whatsapp. Now the mod is applied only for that session of the app.
Also you might need to change the max image size. <int name="image_max_kbytes"value="8128"/> (I've put it as 8mb)

(PS Extra info-But you' think won't it make all the settings fixed and any setting change from within the app won't reflect. Don't worry whatsapp automatically changes the permission with write privileges (660)). Hence can't have the mod be permanent.
So Cheers.

Latest version 2020 also same ? everytime need to edit ?
Thank you !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the tutorial:

0 - Download a file explorer and grant superuser permission (I personally use ES FILE EXPLORER).
    1 - Locate this folder: /data/data/com.whatsapp/shared_prefs/
    2 - Open the file "com.whatsapp_preferences.xml".

+ Mod image quality (jpg compression level ?)

Look for this line: <int name="image_quality" value="80" />

Change its value (80 by default) to whatever you want (a number between 1 to 99, you shouldn't use 0 or 100 I think).

RECOMMENDED VALUE: 90
    Info: at 99 your photos won't have any compression (best quality), but the file size will be MUCH bigger (very close to the original size)

+ Mod image resolution

Look for this line: <int name="image_max_edge" value="1600" />

Change 1600 to the value you want, for example 3200 or 6400 (or bigger).
    Info: I think this changes the maximum width allowed for an image. By default, if you want to send a 4K photo (for example) the sent image will be downsized to 1600px. Therefore if you want to send bigger photos change 1600 to 6400 or whatever.

++++

Results (try it by yourself too :D and tell me):

Here is a 3500x3500 photo, the original file: http://s1.postimg.org/o5rwefjm7/Screenshot_2015_09_16_16_36_20.png
    And this is the sent image: http://s27.postimg.org/84yk2ooxv/Screenshot_2015_09_16_16_36_45.png

As you see it keeps the same resolution, you can also increase the quality to 99 to send photos with almost no compression, so the sent image and the original are almost the same, but I don't recommend that value because it takes longer to upload (if you have bad internet like me you won't want to increase the quality to 99), so you should try 90 (which I think is the best quality/compression level).
    srry4myEnglish