Recover the Y01 battery SHIELD Tablet (old) after booting the B01 battery one (new)

Search This thread

topcat36

Jan 4, 2007
I think you might be right. The only way to fix these tablets is praying real hard.
I am lucky mine did not die yet but if it does, I will follow your path.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: bung-koe
mine was already bricked and no sign of life except when the light opens when charged thats all and when connected to the computer it just show APX but after few days later it opened and worked like it wasnt bricked i dunno what happened but the only thing i remembered is i prayed so hard to help me fix it xD

Divine Firmware Update that's an interesting concept... :cyclops:

Gootah

Apr 5, 2007
Brooklyn
Wait...

You can use the latest stock firmware, just remove TegraOTA.apk file and folder.
Follow this post: http://xdaforums.com/shield-tablet/general/kill-kill-switch-shield-tablet-xx-t3179489 .
On short: Using ODB: Unlock Bootloader, flash a custom recovery, flash latest fullOTA stock firmware, flash nomoreota.zip. Just to be sure the tablet does not download the killswitch while you do all these, disable all internet connection (WiFi and LTE if you have that model) until you have run nomoreota.zip. To check that TegraOTA is gone, in Settings -> About Tablet, the first option should not be anything related to updates ("Check for update..."). Once that is missing, you are safe to open internet and enjoy your stock firmware.
Remember only that you will not receive any updates anymore, not even new firmware. All have to be flashed manually though ADB and each time, after the update, to flash nomoreota.zip.

Are you saying you flashed 3.1.1 on the old tab?

I went back to 1.0 to be safe and took all no OTA precautions as stated above, but that was a week ago.

I wanted to try 3.1.1 on the old tab, but didn't want to risk an embedded kill.

topcat36

Jan 4, 2007
Are you saying you flashed 3.1.1 on the old tab?

I went back to 1.0 to be safe and took all no OTA precautions as stated above, but that was a week ago.

I wanted to try 3.1.1 on the old tab, but didn't want to risk an embedded kill.

Is not embedded in 3.1.1. I have it installed for a while now on the old tablet and had no problems.

Nov 21, 2012
Just one more question... How does Nvidia identify the tablets... through the serial numbers? Can that be accessed remotly? Or by Imei? If it would be by Imei, the method in the op could help not to activate the kill switch on a shield that is still working... But I'm not very inclined to try it on my hardware aswell :S Does anyone know?

rodrigox

Sep 30, 2015
Hey Victorcangil 16

First, thanks for your efforts.

I have followed your steps but my tablet is stuck after I press the "Continue" in the Fastboot menu.

How much time did you wait till your tablet booted up?

Thanks!

EDIT: It really worked. After the "Cold Booting Linux" message, I have restarted the tablet and it booted up. Let's see if it keeps that way :)

Last edited:

jkl@xda

Sep 30, 2015
Hey. This is my first post on xda. I actually just registered for this thread....
Well, one of my friends gave me his SHIELDs. The old one and the new one!
He told me if i root his tablet i could have his old one. And i was like " Hell yeah, easy!"
And i rooted it. Everything worked fine. I also jailbroke "mine" after i unlocked the bootloader i started the tab. i installed all updates facepalm: and restarted because i forgot to install SuperSU..And guess wot. It didnt turn on again. *failmode*
My pcs reaction to connecting it is *bling* and the yellow warn symboled APX in the devices manager! Can i throw it away now? Is it bricked??:confused:
Please help me. @vcandelagil1 I added u on skype. Please accept me my lord n savior:D::fingers-crossed:

topcat36

Jan 4, 2007
Wasted tablet. It cannot be repaired. Pitty you did not check before this thread.

Sent from my old SHIELD Tablet.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkl@xda

jkl@xda

Sep 30, 2015
My friend gave it to me when it was broken already. After about two week of not touching it i could turn it on ._.
What happens if i change new tablets imei??

rodrigox

Sep 30, 2015
My old tablet was stuck in the black screen too, but I could access the bootloader.

From the bootloader screen, I just followed the steps posted by Victorcangil 16 (changing the IMEI and flashing the 1.0 recovery) and it started to work again.

Right now I'm using the 3.1.1 image, just flashed it and deleted the TegraOTA folder before booting to Android and blocked ota.nvidia.com in the router, and it's still working.

I will post up if something happens but, to tell you the truth, I'm feeling that the old tablet is running smoother than the new tablet. :D:D

jkl@xda

Sep 30, 2015
My old tablet was stuck in the black screen too, but I could access the bootloader.

From the bootloader screen, I just followed the steps posted by Victorcangil 16 (changing the IMEI and flashing the 1.0 recovery) and it started to work again.

Right now I'm using the 3.1.1 image, just flashed it and deleted the TegraOTA folder before booting to Android and blocked ota.nvidia.com in the router, and it's still working.

I will post up if something happens but, to tell you the truth, I'm feeling that the old tablet is running smoother than the new tablet. :D:D

I would not be doing my job if i am not asking but... how did you enter bootloader??:eek:

bung-koe

Sep 22, 2015
Hey. This is my first post on xda. I actually just registered for this thread....
Well, one of my friends gave me his SHIELDs. The old one and the new one!
He told me if i root his tablet i could have his old one. And i was like " Hell yeah, easy!"
And i rooted it. Everything worked fine. I also jailbroke "mine" after i unlocked the bootloader i started the tab. i installed all updates facepalm: and restarted because i forgot to install SuperSU..And guess wot. It didnt turn on again. *failmode*
My pcs reaction to connecting it is *bling* and the yellow warn symboled APX in the devices manager! Can i throw it away now? Is it bricked??:confused:
Please help me. @vcandelagil1 I added u on skype. Please accept me my lord n savior:D::fingers-crossed:
there's still hope brother mine was like that but it opened i works fine now xD

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

BTW i forgot that there something happened with my tablet i remember now it when i tried to open the tablet the back cover i accidentally ripped something inside the one that connects the back cover to the tablet xD

jkl@xda

Sep 30, 2015
So what exactly die u do? I love this tablet but i am 15 yrs old=no money :D
I started using Android 2 years ago.
After my phone got stolen i got an iPhone. No i have Android again.

So you mean there is still hope??i mean i got it when it was deactivated but i could turn it on. Now ist broken again!:/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

jkl@xda

Sep 30, 2015
Not working i tried every single combination

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

My friend gave it to me when it was broken already. After about two week of not touching it i could turn it on ._.
What happens if i change new tablets imei??

nothing... the IMEI is encoded inside the modem (inside a dedicated partion and maybe even the modem chips itself), the IMEI you can change is only read for some status screen, it is also not related to the actual killing of the tablet...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not working anymore.
    Sorry.
    mine was already bricked and no sign of life except when the light opens when charged thats all and when connected to the computer it just show APX but after few days later it opened and worked like it wasnt bricked i dunno what happened but the only thing i remembered is i prayed so hard to help me fix it xD

IMEI (International Mobile station Equipment Identity) is a unique code each mobile device has, similar to the MAC address of a network card. Changing this is most of the time not possible, being a hardware specific number. That would not help in this case, since nVidia identifies our Shield Tablets by serial number.
    In bootloader mode, there is no concept of "being rooted". You can only be rooted while running an OS (Like Android, Windows, Linux, etc) and means having access to the master Administration account. The bootloader is similar to a computer BIOS. Since Nvidia messed that up with the killswitch, having root or unlocked bootloader has no point.
    The only action is, with the only access remaining, APX mode, to rewrite the nvflash with a valid bootloader and other first boot stuff (similar to rewriting the BIOS on a computer.... You mess that one up, computer is a paperweight). Trick is that only nVidia has the necessary packets to fix the nvflash.
    So, Victor, you did not get your tablet killed by nVidia. Was something else that happened to your tablet. Having access to the bootloader means is still there.
    I hope one day someone will find a way to fix this tablets (hack the APX access, leaked packages from nVidia) because is a big waste of perfect hardware.
    Indeed, 100% accurate!

Once the killer roms upgrade has been applied, the tablet is dead period. Unless an nvflash package surface this recall is indeed a waste of hardware! Nvflash is fairly common with older nvidia chipset but it's been less and less common with the recent SOC they released. The best is to remove the OTA before your tablet get killed.

The only question I still have about the recall process is the fact that the made us enter a code inside the recalled tablet, I suspect we unlocked something inside the recalled tablet so that the kill switch can kill the recalled tablet, I would not be surprised that the kill switch would not work on a regular tablet as you would need to enter the code to allow the kill to happen, however I am not yet ready to do a proof of concept test on this theory yet on my hardware :)

I would find strange that any tablet can be killed by urgent OTA, to me that would be opening a HUGE security hole ..

I had the same question, but the reason is simple (thanks to Bogdacutu again): the code that we had to enter is proof that we own the recalled tablet. Imagine we could enter someone else serial, from a friend, leaked on forums, etc. and get for free a new tablet, while those would be left hanging. Regarding to the killswitch, you are partially right: from the entered serial at the recall they pair the old and new tablets so when the new tablet connects for the first time to the OTA server, the old one will be sent that broken rom. Thing is, all receive the same 3.1 firmware... all have the urgent OTA option. If the new tablet received the killswitch, would run it in the same way. In the end is a firmware update like any other, only that is broken intentionally :)

I removed TegraOTA from my new tablet the moment I first powered it on. It did not have time to connect to the OTA server. I did the same on the old tablet as well. Thing is that 27 days have passed since I have both tablets on and according to Bogdacutu OTA check, no killswitch is waiting for my old tablet. So, is exactly as they said: activating the new tablet (more exactly, appearing on Nvidia OTA server) will kill the old one. If is not connecting, it is not killed (at least for now... maybe they will put all the list on death row one day).

Edit: It crossed my mind now.... If someone would check the new tablet serial also on Bogdacutu page, that might as well mark it active and release the killswitch for the old. Auci !