[Kernel/Root] Root for the SM-G530T 5.1.1 [AOF8]

Search This thread

TheDerekHarper

Jun 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
VictorXIbarra.com
Wealp, just as soon as i got it, i ****ed it LOL
Gotta download the complete firmware from SamMobile and repeat the proccess.

Tried paying with android pay, it read my card cannot be used.
Went to SU > Disabled "root" > Didn't work (android pay) > Restarted the phone > Wouldn't get past t-mobile logo. > Tried re-rooting it without original firmware > Wouldn't use the first slot (only the second) > I'm ****ed. > Downloading SamMobile firmware as we speak.

hangy18

Jan 28, 2010
Hi I am working on 5.1.1 port to g530f from this phone, I have extracted update zip for twrp recovery, installed on 530f, but the phone is booting to recovery instead of system, it looks like these very similar phones have different partition tables, I was wondering if you can compile the kernel for 530f? this is partition table of 530f:
Partition Logs:
/efs | /dev/block/mmcblk0p13 | Size: 9MB Used: 0MB Free: 9MB Backup Size: 0MB
/system | /dev/block/mmcblk0p24 | Size: 1449MB Used: 1364MB Free: 84MB Backup Size: 1364MB
/cache | /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 | Size: 290MB Used: 0MB Free: 290MB Backup Size: 0MB
/data | /dev/block/mmcblk0p27 | Size: 5294MB Used: 1183MB Free: 1877MB Backup Size: 1183MB
/boot | /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 | Size: 13MB
/recovery | /dev/block/mmcblk0p17 | Size: 15MB
/preload | /dev/block/mmcblk0p26 | Size: 5MB Used: 2MB Free: 3MB Backup Size: 2MB
/modem | /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 | Size: 15MB
/mdm | /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 | Size: 57MB
/external_sd | /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 | Size: 26717MB Used: 24634MB Free: 2082MB Backup Size: 24634MB
/usbotg | | Size: 0MB Used: 0MB Free: 0MB Backup Size: 0MB

ShinySide

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2013
IHB
Hi I am working on 5.1.1 port to g530f from this phone, I have extracted update zip for twrp recovery, installed on 530f, but the phone is booting to recovery instead of system, it looks like these very similar phones have different partition tables, I was wondering if you can compile the kernel for 530f? this is partition table of 530f:

I can do nothing with that. Partitions aren't set in the kernel. If you're having extraction issues that's all on your side and your updater script in your twrp zip is wrong.

hangy18

Jan 28, 2010
I can do nothing with that. Partitions aren't set in the kernel. If you're having extraction issues that's all on your side and your updater script in your twrp zip is wrong.
Thanks for the tip I have used different android kitchen, added the proper partition names in the update script, now I can boot 511 with your kernel on g530f. Everything works except nfc and camera, it shows pop up "Warning Camera failed" also phone vibrates every minute or so without any notification.

TheDerekHarper

Jun 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
VictorXIbarra.com
Speaking of Android Pay, I'm hypothesizing that because kernal is not being enforced by Samsung (and root of course) that's why it doesn't work. Haven't tried without unrooting the device.

Sent from my SM-G530T using XDA Free mobile app

ajp87

May 12, 2014
Any luck on a twrp yet, I'd really like test allot of things on this device without bootlooping and having to redo everything eveytme you feel me?

Re: when restart red message kernel is not seandroid ,, etc .. how to fix it

its work for g530w 5.1.1 but when restart red message kernel is not seandroid ,, etc .. how to fix it

You will get this message because of the Samsung KNOX system. It is their way of shutting the phone out of the ability to use Samsung Pay.
Aside from that, I have had no other ill effects.
In my case that warning does show up when booting but is only one of several normal screens that go by during the boot up.
The message itself does not affect the operation of my phone in any way. It boots up quickly and fine.
It was truly terrible to not have root before this and even worse that this "SG-530W variant" seems to be forgotten in the development world.
No custom recovery kinda sucks as I'd like to see a custom ROM or too but root is essential here for all the things the phone gets used for.

Does this message "kernel is not seandroid" cause any problems with your phone or does it simply annoy you?

floydlloyd
Vancover
Canada

If possible I encourage others to Donate to ShinySide so ShinySide can continue helping us with these things. :fingers-crossed:

Last edited:
Reactions: habeebo

hangy18

Jan 28, 2010
Hi, I have forked your kernel for G530FZ on github, tried to compile it with device tree from FZ, I am missing a command to compile working dt.img in build_kernel.sh script. Do you know the right command for this? I tried dtbTool and dtbToolCM but it always ends in boot loop.

frankerebus

Jan 10, 2008
no worked in g530T 5.1.1

<ID:0/056> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> TrapKernel_G530T_AOF8_Root.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/056> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/056> File analysis..
<ID:0/056> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/056> Initialzation..
<ID:0/056> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/056> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/056> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/056> boot.img
<ID:0/056> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/056> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/056>
<ID:0/056> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/056> Removed!!

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

looks like an bootloader locked

ShinySide

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 30, 2013
IHB
no worked in g530T 5.1.1

<ID:0/056> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> TrapKernel_G530T_AOF8_Root.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/056> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/056> File analysis..
<ID:0/056> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/056> Initialzation..
<ID:0/056> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/056> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/056> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/056> boot.img
<ID:0/056> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/056> FAIL! (Auth)
<ID:0/056>
<ID:0/056> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

looks like an bootloader locked
Dev options/oem lock then try

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Root method for AOF8 / 5.1.1 for the SM-G530T THIS WILL TRIP KNOX. If you don't want to trip knox don't use this. If you do use it and whine you tripped knox because you didn't read ,we will all point and laugh at you.

Named it TrapKernel because well its not my normal HispAsian Kernel and I listened to a crap ton of Trap Music while doing it.

Thanks to @g.lewarne and his root method with his Unibase and Unikernel for the s6 , we finally have root after I ported it over to us. So be sure to thank him for his work.

What's included:
    Auto installation of root and busy box
    Kernel set to permissive
    Otherwise stock

So here's the deal. Stupid simple.

1. Put Phone in Download mode
    2. Open Odin
    3. Connect Phone
    4. Put Kernel in AP Slot
    5.Flash it
    6. Reboot and profit

Notes:
    Download SuperSu from the Playstore. Its not included.
    If it doesnt boot on first boot, pull the battery and reboot

Download

Do NOT mirror this link. Period.

TrapKernel AOF8

Special thanks to:
    @g.lewarne for the obvious reason of being awesome and his root method for the s6.
    @ajp87 for testing multiple tests
    @Chainfire for SuperSU

Can you update this kernel for AOH9?

The MetroPCS STOCK Firmware is HERE
    10,000+ downloads + 16 thanks= nope.

Not a "thank me whore" but seriously ?

For this phone, I'm seeing a lot about "tripping KNOX" I think I understand what Knox is, but I wonder if I have to worry about this, as my phone is personal, and not enterprise. If I still have to worry about tripping knox, what do I need to do? I searched the forums, and couldn't find an answer to this.

It's just a counter that everyone makes a huge not needed big azz deal about. Does prevent some, not that really used by anyone, features not work like private mode, but there's fixes out there for it.
    For the tmobile varient make sure you activate developer options and click usb debugging mode so the root takes effect. that should be added in the steps but it isnt. go to settings > about device > tap "build number" like 7 times, it will notify you 3 steps before it activates. go back to settings and click developer options and check usb debugging. also because odin has updated, the slot isnt called AP its called PDA. click n load TrapKernel there. Flash that and your phone should auto restart. make sure you enter download mode by turning the phone off and holding Volume Down button, Home button and power button simultaneously then it will prompt you to press Vol Up to (Continue).... Then you are in Download Mode. connect your phone via usb cord.

This is for those that are new and dont want to sift through pointless comments or arguments in this thread. :) Good day all
    Heres the source set to permissive for anyone that want to fork it and build a kernel that'll allow root:

Permissive Kernel Source for the G530T
    Oh no apology necessary! I wasn't offended at all. I sincerely appreciated the gesture. I just bought this phone a couple days ago is why I was asking. I used to cook roms for the Epic and GS3 so I have a pretty decent know how. My poor GS3 broke though and now I'm stuck with this. It's not that bad though.

So there is this kernel to gain root, then we need to odin twrp to do any flashing.. Is there any stable decent roms or is stock the best bet? Worse case scenario I'll leave it stock rooted and just remove the bloat.

I am personally working on a twrp for the devices. No roms are out yet either. But we do have stock firmware that is flashable by odin. I can personally send files that may be useful tto you as well. I have a lot of the partition sizes, lists of bloat, and various others...