[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v2.1.4 [Updated 01/16/16]: Nexus 6 Thread

Search This thread

Mikegrmn

Aug 24, 2013
I used the toolkit last night to flash stock and unroot. Worked well. After this, you need a factory reset if you have a device other than the 32 gb model, unless you don't mind only having 23 gb left to play with. Back up important files before factory reset. It'll wipe the device. You'll also need your account information associated with the device (Google password and login). It asked for it sure the process.
To root the device after getting stock installed, download latest latest SuperSU and a kernel that allows rooting so you have the files available when you need them.
Here's what I did:
Get the files
Start toolkit
Select the add custom recovery and root in toolkit
It'll install twrp and gets stuck because stock kernel doesn't root yet
Unhook phone from computer
Press power and volume down
Select recovery and Wait for twrp to boot
Hook up phone to computer
Move SuperSU and kernel to a folder you can remember
Select install in twrp
Find your files
Flash kernel first
Flash SuperSU second (no reboot required in between)
Reboot phone
Done

For some stuff to work (kernel tweaking) , get busybox

Sounds maybe complicated, but was actually easy like cake.

Last edited:

Pecata

Dec 31, 2009
Salt Lake City
I used the toolkit last night to flash stock and unroot. Worked well. After this, you need a factory reset if you have a device other than the 32 gb model, unless you don't mind only having 23 gb left to play with. Back up important files before factory reset. It'll wipe the device. You'll also need your account information associated with the device (Google password and login). It asked for it sure the process.
To root the device after getting stock installed, download latest latest SuperSU and a kernel that allows rooting so you have the files available when you need them.
Here's what I did:
Get the files
Start toolkit
Select install in twrp
Find your files
Flash kernel first
Reboot phone
Done

Great, detailed instructions! Thank you!

yankeesfan714

Jan 6, 2013
Here's what I did:
Get the files
Start toolkit
Select install in twrp
Find your files
Flash kernel first
Reboot phone
Done

I wish everyone would follow your advice. Detailed enough that anyone can do it.

Stigga

Sep 12, 2014
Hey Guys - I just got a replacement nexus 6 from motorola. I backed up my current rooted nexus 6 -through titanium backup on my phone and through Wugfresh backup. Do I just turn on the new phone, connect to my computer and click restore on Wugfresh to get my data on the new phone? Thanks

smstriker

Jan 2, 2010
So, since M rolled out, i can't get any of this to work... I use the WugFresh toolkit and i get the "Warning" screen that i have a modified OS, and other times i get to the Boot animation and it sticks. I have wiped all, factory reset, relocked to stock and tried again to no avail. I finally used ADB setup to install ElementalX kernel and got it to load, but SU will not update binaries now... And I can't get Wifi Tethering to work... ;( Main reason i am doing it to begin with...

ANDYx1975

Mar 5, 2009
www.pocketpc.ch
So, since M rolled out, i can't get any of this to work... I use the WugFresh toolkit and i get the "Warning" screen that i have a modified OS, and other times i get to the Boot animation and it sticks. I have wiped all, factory reset, relocked to stock and tried again to no avail. I finally used ADB setup to install ElementalX kernel and got it to load, but SU will not update binaries now... And I can't get Wifi Tethering to work... ;( Main reason i am doing it to begin with...

I also have the Same issues... Maybe it is related to my encrypted Phone. I will wait for a final Release... Dont want to waist my time with reflashing

srothkin

Nov 4, 2010
NY
Google Pixel 6
Here's what I did:
Get the files
Start toolkit
Select install in twrp
Find your files
Flash kernel first
Reboot phone
Done

I take it you were previously rooted for some time.

I'd like to see a procedure that avoids the need for a factory reset on the 64GB nexus 6 as the reconfiguring after that (even after using MyBackup Pro to restore the apps and there settings) still involves a lot of detailed manual work.

Mikegrmn

Aug 24, 2013
I take it you were previously rooted for some time.

I'd like to see a procedure that avoids the need for a factory reset on the 64GB nexus 6 as the reconfiguring after that (even after using MyBackup Pro to restore the apps and there settings) still involves a lot of detailed manual work.

Yes, it requires quite some work, but after flashing custom roms for about a year, I got tired of it and wanted to try stock and start from scratch. I've had quite some reboot and crashing issues while dirty flashing roms, so starting from scratch to see how well marshmallow behaves was a good thing for me.

Reactions: Mr_S

srothkin

Nov 4, 2010
NY
Google Pixel 6
Yes, it requires quite some work, but after flashing custom roms for about a year, I got tired of it and wanted to try stock and start from scratch. I've had quite some reboot and crashing issues while dirty flashing roms, so starting from scratch to see how well marshmallow behaves was a good thing for me.

However, in this case I'm not dealing with custom ROMs. I'd be going from stock (but rooted) 5.1.1 to 6. If I was able to do it OTA it presumably wouldn't "lose" half my memory or require a factory reset to avoid that, so I would expect the same when flashing the updated factory image over what I've got.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlocking, rooting, relocking and unrooting simplified! (and much more!)

VERSION 2.1.4 - This program will automatically bring together all the files you need to unlock and root your device in a few clicks, or flash it back to stock and re-lock it. You can also use this program to backup/restore all your important data, flash zips, set file permissions, push and pull files, install apps, generate logcats/bugreports, and much more! With the included file association options, you can perform tasks like flashing zips, installing apps, restoring android backup files, and flashing/booting img files with just a double click! The program includes a full featured interface for automating tasks in TWRP, enhanced restore features, an in-built auto-updater/notification system, ‘any build’ mode, advanced restore features,’NRT- Live Log’ for viewing the adb/fastboot cmds that are run in the background, quick tools utilities, and tools for taking screenshots/screen-recordings. All the latest official Android builds and Nexus devices are supported. The program intelligently and selectively downloads the files it needs for your device and makes sure you are using the latest files available. The program can even auto-detect your device and build. This release brings full Marshmallow root support plus all automated features by utilizing a new system that no longer requires modified boot.imgs. Check out the updated changelog for a more comprehensive breakdown of the feature set and changes in this release.

~ my goal for this project is make the entire process as smooth and simple as possible ~

GDhJYE8.jpg

q1o1kav.jpg

Please read the FAQs before posting questions: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/faqs/

Looking for a walk-through? >> Excellent Instructional/How-To Videos: http://www.wugfresh.com/videos/

More information & Download Links: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Changelog: http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/changelog/

Enjoy! ^_^

{{ WugFresh }}
    Root with NRT (Video by Rootjunky)

More videos here: http://www.wugfresh.com/videos/
    v1.9.9 code is all done and everything seems to be good, I just need to crash for a bit before I do final testing and upload it. Seems to have taken me a bit longer than I estimated. I managed to get numerous features finished that I had originally planned for v2.0.0. Thank you for your patience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Hey guys. Still plugging away at this, had to setup a new vm-environment for some of my build scripts and I am merging in additional changes and features into this upcoming release than I initially intended. Still have decent energy and have a lot done already. Most deff will be out by tmrw the latest, just don't know the exact eta. Maybe if I keep grinding it will be out super late tonight, but I don't know.

v1.9.9 will utilize SuperSU 2.27, which won't require root_kernels.

For the no-force encrypt stuff, there will be two methods for dealing with this.
    1. There will be a new button in advanced utilities for it, so you can flash the no-force encrypt anytime.
    2. There will be a new option in the "flash stock options", where you can check 'utilize no-force encrypt kernel' - with that option, when flashing stock, it will substitute the stock kernel in the procedure with the no-force encrypt kernel, so the result will be a clean flash with the no-force kernel already in place.

For users who have already rooted with NRT, when I release v1.9.9, you can use the advanced utilities button "restore stock kernel" first - and then just use the "root" button again.

I will go through this thread and try to answer any questions I missed tmrw, trying to get back to coding for now.

Stay tuned.

{{ WugFresh }}
    Any plans to include the encryption removal into this?

I can do that. The way I will have to implement it ultimately depends on weather or not Chainfire's new SuperSU method works or not. Either way I will have to write some scripts on my end to auto-make those those non-forced-encryption boot.imgs per each build - however, I will have to also include the root_kernel modification if the new SuperSU method isn't adopted. I will wait for now to see what happens.

But yeah, should be possible and something I wouldn't mind coding.

{{ WugFresh }}