Venue 10 7040 Root and other ruminations

Search This thread

Fearcher

Apr 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
So far, fit and finish is outstanding. Better than a number of units that have gone through our hands in testing. (I'm keeping this one) Very, very little bloatware. But, not having root and the ability to write to SD etc is a PITA
Root was achieved using the method developed by social-design-concepts You will want to use the T4 trigger option. His thread is here. You will want to be sure that you use the download he mentions that are what he calls the public trial release, it's here

Glad to answer any questions about the device and follow up questions as well. I'm conversant with adp, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my Venue 10 7040 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: xBIGREDDx

Fearcher

Apr 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
I generally switch connection types to mass storage VS MTP and that makes it happen. Do remember that on occasion you have to specify the exact driver in device manager, Windows necessarily get it right. (Not being condescending mind you, just not sure where your skill level is at.)

ecsjr

Aug 17, 2007
I could use some help... After the T4 selection Fastboot Mode starts doing it's thing and attempting to copy over files but in the end it says Result: Fail (command now allowed in this device state) and I noticed the device state is Locked...

Last edited:

Fearcher

Apr 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
That's pretty straight forward. In short, your bootloader is still locked. Social design concept covers this well in his post. It's the first link in my original post. My apologies for the late reply. Been bringing up my Nexus devices to Marshmallow and dealing with all that.

Reactions: ecsjr

r_nation

Nov 23, 2015
That's pretty straight forward. In short, your bootloader is still locked. Social design concept covers this well in his post. It's the first link in my original post. My apologies for the late reply. Been bringing up my Nexus devices to Marshmallow and dealing with all that.
Hello Fearcher Congrats on rooting your 7040! Im in desperate need of your expertise. Trying to root my 7040 on L5.1
-installed drivers
-bootloader unlocked but text is in red?
-adb devices attached successfully
-fastboot devices found successfully
-have tried t4 on both tools with remote flashing to this partion error?
-tablets encryption is "encrypted"
Please help me root this tablet what am I missing?!

whosloosin92

Dec 7, 2010
Is there anything about rooting 5.1 on a venue 10 that would prohibit future updates? I have read of rooted venue 8 users being unable to update to 5.1 after root but there was speculation that it was due to it being a 5.1 based root to begin with. I don't know enough about the details to know if this is plausible. This is the post I am reffering to: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64196214&postcount=15

I'd like to root but if it means no future updates that would be a deal breaker. Fearcher, you say this root method works on 5.1. Does this mean you had updated your tablet from 5.01 (rooted) to 5.1? If so did it require any special procedure or was it an OTA update? Thanks for you help

dividebyzero

Dec 12, 2008
Dallas
what driver do i need

Hello.

I've tried the ADB fastboot driver found in this thread and the stickied one. I've gone into device manager and selected several different drivers including the one named "dell adb fastboot" something which required me to turn off driver signature enforcement. Driver installed fine every time. When I launch the program I get the correct status message. Everything is right according to the instructions. I'm still getting the fail when it tries to install its files (command not allowed in this state).

What am i missing exactly? I've followed everything i can find in both this thread and the linked thread.

I have the latest 5.1 update from dell/google. I just bought the device from dell. My PC is Windows 10 64 bit if that matters. Driver signing is off.

r_nation

Nov 23, 2015
Hey bro he hasn't been replying to any questions. Your bootloader is locked. I unlocked mine and it still don't work. From what I can gather you have to downgrade to kitkat then run Intel flash tool. We need a droidboot.zip file for flash tool but no one has helped. We need a package made from this site

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

http://opensource.dell.com/releases/Venue_10_7040_Moorefield/developer-edition/

Reactions: dividebyzero

dividebyzero

Dec 12, 2008
Dallas
Hey bro he hasn't been replying to any questions. Your bootloader is locked. I unlocked mine and it still don't work. From what I can gather you have to downgrade to kitkat then run Intel flash tool. We need a droidboot.zip file for flash tool but no one has helped. We need a package made from this site

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

That's what I was thinking. is this because the 10 has a different chip than the smaller versions or something? It seems like they're having fun with their root and stuff. I thought moving to a device without a carrier would be easier. I have no idea why these are locked. it's nuts.

r_nation

Nov 23, 2015
both models have same processor. It has to do with android 5.1 , they were able to root because there was kitkat firmware they could flash. Actually I don't even think my above method will work. We have to wait for an Intel based custom recovery for lollipop 5.1 but don't unlock your bootloader til there is one available.

rcbarr

Feb 18, 2009
Houston
Are you sure?

Don't worry about future updates because they aren't coming. Dell killed off the Android dev team last year, so these are amazing but orphaned devices.

bc are you sure, who told you this? I am also a corporate customer of Dell, I am going to go to my SE and see what he saids. I am not doubting you, really hate to hear this actually. But I just find it hard to believe. But you and I know, it's all about the money. If they are not moving the 7040, then...bye, bye.

hksingh

Mar 26, 2014

Do tell if u are able to root it in 5.1
They have enabled encryption by default so it would be tough
I don't want to go back to 4.4 :c

r_nation

Nov 23, 2015
That opensource firmware is lollipop. There is literally no development for venue 10 7000 root is still impossible.

bcjackson

Nov 20, 2015
Just wanted to report in that I successfully rooted my 7040 today using the social-designs-concepts method mentioned in the first post of this thread with IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015.7z (had attempted to use the recommended IntelAndroid-FBRL 05-16-2015 Public Trail Release but Windows 10 AV kept quarantining it due to detected trojan malware). SuperSU Free v2.76 is installed successfully.

FWIW, I did this on a refurb 32GB 7040 that I purchased online for US$216 (as my 16GB one has become to precious to experiment with). I did not allow the system to connect to networks before rooting, and it is on Android 5.0.2. I'm not sure if that affected the success of rooting; I just wanted to report clearly what I did. Please note that after rooting automatic firmware updates to 5.1 failed. Will undo the rooting and try again after 5.1 update.

The expanded memory will be useful, as well as the ability to extend "internal" to include the external SD card.

Now if I could just figure out how to put Nougat on this thing I would be ecstatic.

bcjackson

Nov 20, 2015
bc are you sure, who told you this? I am also a corporate customer of Dell, I am going to go to my SE and see what he saids. I am not doubting you, really hate to hear this actually. But I just find it hard to believe. But you and I know, it's all about the money. If they are not moving the 7040, then...bye, bye.

Dell now confirming that they are discontinuing Android lines and will not provide further updates.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3090466/android/dell-stops-selling-android-devices.html

hksingh

Mar 26, 2014
Just wanted to report in that I successfully rooted my 7040 today using the social-designs-concepts method mentioned in the first post of this thread with IntelAndroid-FBRL-07-24-2015.7z (had attempted to use the recommended IntelAndroid-FBRL 05-16-2015 Public Trail Release but Windows 10 AV kept quarantining it due to detected trojan malware). SuperSU Free v2.76 is installed successfully.

FWIW, I did this on a refurb 32GB 7040 that I purchased online for US$216 (as my 16GB one has become to precious to experiment with). I did not allow the system to connect to networks before rooting, and it is on Android 5.0.2. I'm not sure if that affected the success of rooting; I just wanted to report clearly what I did. Please note that after rooting automatic firmware updates to 5.1 failed. Will undo the rooting and try again after 5.1 update.

The expanded memory will be useful, as well as the ability to extend "internal" to include the external SD card.

Now if I could just figure out how to put Nougat on this thing I would be ecstatic.

So the baseline is that u cannot root once you upgrade to 5.1?:(

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

So the baseline is that u cannot root once you upgrade to 5.1?:(

well now that they have abandoned android maybe they will release the open source?:crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far, fit and finish is outstanding. Better than a number of units that have gone through our hands in testing. (I'm keeping this one) Very, very little bloatware. But, not having root and the ability to write to SD etc is a PITA
    Root was achieved using the method developed by social-design-concepts You will want to use the T4 trigger option. His thread is here. You will want to be sure that you use the download he mentions that are what he calls the public trial release, it's here

Glad to answer any questions about the device and follow up questions as well. I'm conversant with adp, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my Venue 10 7040 using Tapatalk

If your on 5.1 firmware for venue 7040, root is unobtainable.