5x - Hugely Disappointed

Search This thread

pmadden86

Oct 14, 2015
Typing this on my N5X I received today - iv owned every single nexus phone, coming to this after 2yrs with the N5 - I'm perfectly happy with this phone. Bigger screen bigger battery quick charge and fingerprint scanner, which is exactly why I bought it. I'm getting little to no lag that u guys talk of - only downside for me was the lack of rubbery back that my n5 had. Luckily I already had a spigen case sitting here and it has the soft back I want. All in all I'm loving the N5X - 6P is far too big for me, 5.2" is my limit as anything bigger won't let me operate 1 handed.

After 24 hours with the device, I am a little disappointed as well, but word was already on the street relating to the pain points I am experiencing. The benefits of this device is that it is extremely lightweight and although plastic, a very comfortable phone to hold. It is a bit more slippery but I always use a case so that is a moot point. I also find the screen to be very pleasant and very happy with the camera performance thus far.
I really dislike the look and feel of the power/volume buttons. They look and feel like they are going to fall off, haha. I also ran into some issues with the phone becoming laggy and slow responsiveness with only some moderate/light use of the device. With that said, I am disappointed that all of the high quality top spec'd devices have to be 5.5" inch plus. No wonder there is such a huge market for the iPhone 6/6s... I feel like that is the phone I need to own to have the specs I want for a size I love! :(

I have the 6P on preorder and have been constantly messing with my buddy's Moto X Pure to see if I can force myself to transition to a bigger size phone :/

jbdan

Aug 30, 2010
Atlanta
I think the 5X is awesome with the 4 hours I've been playing with it getting it all setup. The only weak point I've seen so far is that the vibration motor is weak. It feels tiny, but that's cool with me I never use it. It doesn't make any noise at all. The display is killer! Fantastic color temp very bright and crisp. The call quality is great on the 2 phone calls I've been on (with land line and with another tmobile user). The speaker is louder and sounds better than the N5 (I have an N5 too). Don't use headphones so can't comment there. Zero lag so far and as fluid and smooth as my N5. Build quality is awesome imo. My history is N4, GS4, N5, GS6, N6, G4. That's all I got so far. I'd definitely get another phone if I felt the way the OP does.

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Any performance regression compared to the N5 would probably be related to encryption being forced on the 5x. However in my day of usage I've only noticed slow downs occasionally when scrolling.

In the Nexus AMA they mentioned they're still using software based encryption. It seems they tried to compensate for that by including faster NAND.

The Nexus 5X And 6P Have Software-Accelerated Encryption

I find the 5x to be a step up in every area except audio quality, which is louder but about the same quality. The vibration is not your usual sound but having heard a friends M9 extremely loud and forceful vibration I'd actually prefer this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: rskyline

OMEiAM

Sep 14, 2013
Bowie, Maryland
After 24 hours with the device, I am a little disappointed as well, but word was already on the street relating to the pain points I am experiencing. The benefits of this device is that it is extremely lightweight and although plastic, a very comfortable phone to hold. It is a bit more slippery but I always use a case so that is a moot point. I also find the screen to be very pleasant and very happy with the camera performance thus far.
I really dislike the look and feel of the power/volume buttons. They look and feel like they are going to fall off, haha. I also ran into some issues with the phone becoming laggy and slow responsiveness with only some moderate/light use of the device. With that said, I am disappointed that all of the high quality top spec'd devices have to be 5.5" inch plus. No wonder there is such a huge market for the iPhone 6/6s... I feel like that is the phone I need to own to have the specs I want for a size I love! :(

I have the 6P on preorder and have been constantly messing with my buddy's Moto X Pure to see if I can force myself to transition to a bigger size phone :/

I personally prefer the buttons on the 5X when compared to my S6 edge and iPhone 6.

cthip

Jan 26, 2010
My second major complaint with the handset is the Audio.

Google and LG should be embarrassed with the Audio they have incorporated into the nexus 5x, and to be quite frank, it is unacceptable. The Audio is incredibly tinny and low powered, even worse than the nexus 5.

Plugging in headphones makes it even worse. My nexus 5 is louder with headphones plugged in.

I'd like to know more about this. My first android was a Nexus S and it ROCKED as a media player with supercurio's VoodooSound. Then I upgraded to a Nexus 5, which was a much better phone, but was definitely lacking in the audio department. I'll be SORELY disappointed if the 5X is even worse. . .

OMEiAM

Sep 14, 2013
Bowie, Maryland
When I'm talking about the sound quality, I am literally talking about the quality of headphones plugged into the device. Its so embarrassingly low on the 5x its unbelievable that google and lg would see this as fit for purpose when it obviously is not.

I have Audio-Technica M50x Headphones and I would say they sound as good as on my S6 edge. I've also tested the call quality (on the T-Mobile network and using Wi-Fi calling) and people so far say I sound as good as my S6 edge and iPhone for phone calls and Hangouts. You say "touchwiz lags", but my S6 edge has been fluid besides ram management problems. I also have an iPhone 6 to compare and have tried different phones from other OEMs than Samsung and still like how the 5X is performing.

kamajikaciya

Jun 20, 2014
Izmir
So you should return the device and get a refund.

But I'm pretty sure that Google will think better of mandatory encryption. They will release a new update like 6.1 and they will return to non-mandatory but highly recommended encryption option.

Nexus users cannot agree with lags. Sorry Google.

withdrawn

Jan 17, 2014
I have Audio-Technica M50x Headphones and I would say they sound as good as on my S6 edge. I've also tested the call quality (on the T-Mobile network and using Wi-Fi calling) and people so far say I sound as good as my S6 edge and iPhone for phone calls and Hangouts. You say "touchwiz lags", but my S6 edge has been fluid besides ram management problems. I also have an iPhone 6 to compare and have tried different phones from other OEMs than Samsung and still like how the 5X is performing.

Are you genuinely being honest? The audio quality is pathetic to say the least. I commute for work in the mornings, and earlier today, whilst on a heavily packed train to London, I could not hear a blasted thing at all on the 5x with my headphones plugged in.

Listening to music, whilst being able to hear people next to me talking is unacceptable and I have never had this problem on nexus 5 or the nexus 6, because the audio quality was better and louder. To make matters worse, the first generation moto g trumped all three of these handsets (audio/sound), and I purchased that for £129.99.

My brother has a galaxy s6, and the audio is substantially louder, clear, less tinny, more clarity than the nexus 5x.
My sister has an Lg G4, and the audio is actually pretty good, in ear as well as the speaker. I have two other family members with moto devices, and both cheaper models compared to the nexus 5x, but with superior audio.

i am quite shocked that you feel the audio with headphones plugged in, is in the same league as the s6 edge, because, in my opinion, i feel its such a huge drop in comparison to the standard s6, it beggars belief.

The same is said for the call quality and volume. It's far too low compared to today's standards. Literally comparing it to my family members smartphones, it highlights the flaws even more regarding how low the call volume is. Frankly, this just isn't on or acceptable, especially for a device that costs £300+.

Its all fine and well incorporating the latest technologies, like a finger print sensor, and high pixel density screens etc, but if certain manufacturers cannot even get the basics right, the actual foundations of a phone correct, like in call volume etc, then what is the point?

A £20 nokia candy bar phone has louder call volume, quality and clarity.

We purchase smartphones mainly as a functional portable device as well as for a media experience. Having a decent level of volume is paramount to be able to enjoy any media experience, which on this occasion, google has omitted.

Last edited:

LR07

Nov 16, 2011
I'm just worried about the phone not having OIS. Every video sample I have seen so far are very shaky. Can anyone post their impressions on the camera? Most likely I will be getting the 5X anyway. Been waiting too long to upgrade from my S4

Last edited:
Reactions: pieVdelta

PhoenixTank

Dec 21, 2010
On a rock with a laptop
Genuinely starting to wonder if there are quite a few defective units out there. Some say call & general audio quality are just fine. Others, such as the OP, say it is pretty damn horrendous.
Grasping at straws here: Could the difference between the various M builds, or the international vs USA model be a reason for the discrepancies?

Last edited:

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
Headphone jack audio volume being very low would be a deal breaker for me if that turns out to be a strictly hardware issue, not to mention the other complaints....Guess I am keeping my Nexus 4 and upgrading the OS to CM 13 when it becomes available.

Last edited:

quasitime

Jan 2, 2012
Well. I'm coming from an S6 Edge so I'm trying to keep my expectations low. For such a premium device, the S6 overheats and lags absurdly. Sometimes I'll wait up to 3 seconds for app to respond when it's especially "taxed".

But yeah, it's sad to hear about all these things. I had high hopes for the 5X.

withdrawn

Jan 17, 2014
Now you've all got me thinking I'm crazy! I surely cannot be the only person who feels this way about the sound/audio?!!!!!!????

Unless of course, I genuinely do have a faulty unit or something.

Now I'm stuck on my options. I have just read on the carphonewarehouse website that they do not offer refunds on opened phones, and only offer an exchange policy on phones for 14 days after purchase, and this is limited to one exchange only. So I could exchange it for another 5x, but then risk experiencing the same level of dissatisfaction if the audio is subpar on all the 5x devices but then be forced to stick with it.

I would have loved to have paid the additional cost and exchanged for a 6p, but they do not have any in stock until 30th Of November.

I wonder if they'd let me exchange and wait until its official in stock release..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I recently went out of my way to purchase a 5x (MDA89E) by driving 40 odd miles to a carphonewarehouse store that I knew had it in stock (after having called them). Yes I'm crazy, but I just LOVED the nexus 5, even though I had my main gripes and complaints and issues with different production models etc, I did eventually manage to obtain a model that was perfect.

But anyhow, I have been thoroughly excited since the news of the 5x. But once having used the device for the most part of 2.5 days, I'm hugely disappointed.

The same magic android experience I felt immediately with the nexus 5 just is not there with the nexus 5x. It feels incredibly cheap and plastic, and the finish is not as precise or robust feeling as the Nexus 5. The black model doesn't have the same matt back as the nexus 5.

I am very pleased with the screen and the finger print sensor is rapid and the camera is better than the nexus 5, but apart from that, everything else is sub bar.

This is the first ever google android device that I have EVER owned whereby I have experienced a laggy experience and lag in general.

I never experienced any lag on the nexus 4, nexus 5 or the nexus 6. But the 5x, I am experiencing strange frequent lag, even whilst just generally surfing the net using chrome.

The webpages stutter, the scrolling from top to bottom on a webpage frequently lags and I am completely unsatisfied with the experience as a whole. Switching between certain apps like the camera app and the snapspeed app, I experience a strange delay for a few seconds.

I have compared this to the same apps on my nexus 5 and my nexus 6 and unfortunately I am yet to experience any lag at all. Not a single experience.

My second major complaint with the handset is the Audio.

Google and LG should be embarrassed with the Audio they have incorporated into the nexus 5x, and to be quite frank, it is unacceptable. The Audio is incredibly tinny and low powered, even worse than the nexus 5.

Plugging in headphones makes it even worse. My nexus 5 is louder with headphones plugged in.

Again, let me reiterate that this is completely unacceptable, considering handsets like the Motorola moto g (2015) and the moto x play have superb audio and are also priced cheaper. (I know the screens arent as good as the 5x and they don't have a finger print sensor, but my family members have both, and the android experience on these handsets have been sublime). Though incredibly underpowered compared to the 5x, they run smoother after a comparison last night!?!??!!!

I know this 5x is classified as a cheaper alternative to cater to the budget market, but £340 is not cheap, when the moto g is priced at £149.99 and the moto x play priced at £279.99 (argos).

I really feel google is not catering to the main element of owning a smartphone, and that is the media experience.

And I will also add that they aren't even catering to the main functionality of a phone itself, which is the actual call quality, which again, is abysmal and unacceptable for a device that is priced at £340.00. I can barely increase the volume enough to hear the other person in a call, and everybody I have spoken to during a call has asked me why i sound muffled??

I'm sorry to be sounding negative, but I was expecting a step up from the nexus 5, Not a step down with a better screen and an added fingerprint sensor.

This is unacceptable and I am contemplating returning the device. Hugely disappointing and totally unexpected from google.

When the nexus 5 was released, it had, at the time, the best specs at an extremely competitive price.

The 5x is mid range specs, a good screen and a finger print sensor/camera, but a regression in usability and functionality. I cannot use this phone for media. To watch or listen to music and videos etc during my daily commute or to have important telephone conversations in a public environment. If Im in a closed room with no other noise around, then yes, it is just about acceptable, but even low for smartphone standards.

I guess I wouldn't complain as much if everything was flowing utterly smooth like I expect from a google stock android device, but it isn’t. It doesn't. I have no idea why.
    We shouldn't necessarily silence people with issues, he literally might have a defective unit or it might be the misplaced expectations. There should be discussions around those issues.

This is par for the course. I remember during the N5 launch, people were getting super picky about perceived light bleed, vibration motor rattle, power button rattle, and even speaker hole differences! People were literally cycling through and returning multiple N5's which just made me cringe.

Fast forward a month or two after launch and the vocal minority of people with issues either left the N5 or got a satisfactory unit. Then the silent majority basically went along and enjoyed the phone. Of course, over time and with updates the N5 just got better and better to the point it's now basically heralded as the best phone of that era to the point N5 owners are afraid to get a N5X.

I think the same thing is gonna happen with the N5X. I haven't experienced the supposed lag or camera app lag. The perceived performance "issues" and ram deficiency seem like benchmark/stress test fallacies. Ultimately if you need 8 heavy apps on demand, with instant cycling, no re-draws, and need to know your phone is fast through benchmarks, you shouldn't be getting an N5 anyway, the 6P is the power phone.

If you're a normal user that most likely does email, text, takes pictures, browses the internet, messes around with lightweight social apps and a few games, the N5X has more than enough processing power to run through that with ease and no lag.
    It's kinda funny that people are saying it feels and looks cheap. People must forget what others said about the nexus 5 when it came out.. That it looked boring, cheap, that nothing about it stood out.. I mean after the beautiful nexus 4 people were expecting a 5 that was premium like the 4.. And look what happened... That became the most loved nexus of them all so far..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    I have never seen so much hatred for a device that is actually everything it claims to be and more. It's sad to see hostility in forums due to another individual's preference. It's almost as if you are trying to justify your purchases.
    Personally I think anyone who expects audio played out of a phone speaker to be good is an idiot. It should be loud enough to be heard, and good enough that your ears don't melt off.
    If you are an audiophile you will usually have good headphones, use custom equaliser, own everything in FLAC format, and hell you'd be using a separate audio playing device - so don't kid yourself, you're listening to Spotify/mp3s and just want to complain.

I have yet to actually see someone do any proper side-by-side tests with regards to sound between the N5 and N5x.

Also, lag/stutter wise, although there was the video of the N5 and N5x, I wouldn't exactly call that a technical test.
    I'd like to see some real examples and more specific description about what the "lag" is.. Boot up both phones into that safety/recovery mode and do some actual repeatable specific tests to narrow down and describe what they are experiencing.

I hate reading this rubbish about missing "magic".. Too vague and very user specific. Just like battery stats, that can change so much from a couple of settings and a couple of applications installed that can have one person having one experience and another person having a different one.