Android Pay works on unlocked, decrypted rooted 5X!!

Search This thread

met152

Apr 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not sure the best thread to post this, so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just successfully used Android Pay on my unlocked, decrypted, rooted (with root temporarily disabled in SuperSU) Nexus 5X at Rite Aid!

I'll try to test at some more establishments.
I haven't seen anyone else test this yet, so hopefully this helps some of you on the fence who plan to use or already use AP extensively.

78980e83e1d181ebcce3cd0c5cf14d9c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

met152

Apr 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Dont know the exact reason. Just know that I have tried from experience and read here in the forums everyone runs into this after reboot.
Interesting. I haven't seen anyone post that (not that I was really looking). I'll give it a try again this week and report back. Sorry for the false alarm then.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

solara1973

Jan 10, 2009
Does rebooting cause SuperSU to re-enable root? If that's not the case I imagine rebooting probably runs a system check for modified boot loader or whatever, which then sets a flag that Android Pay checks.

I've received my 5x (nice size, light and personally I think build quality is nice, coming from a Galaxy S4 and compared to wife's Nexus 6). Have to wait for the USB type C to USB 3 cable to root and decrypt.

Jul 4, 2014
Rebooted multiple times since rooting, Android Pay has had no issues. Still offers to add cards and such. It doesn't block payment right? I assume the issue is the app not loading properly overall.

Jul 4, 2014
Alright, that's the part I didn't test yet. I remember wallet would just deny you for being rooted or something, or at least it would give a message. I've seen no message and apparently if you just go into SuperSU then disable root it's assured to work. There are also obviously apps that can block an app from seeing the root status.

Jan 12, 2010
Alright, that's the part I didn't test yet. I remember wallet would just deny you for being rooted or something, or at least it would give a message. I've seen no message and apparently if you just go into SuperSU then disable root it's assured to work. There are also obviously apps that can block an app from seeing the root status.

Android Pay uses the SafetyNet API. Hiding root from Android Pay will not do anything at the moment. Paying for something will not work either, but adding cards will

Reactions: QUEDRO

buru898

So I'll be trying to test this out tomorrow. I rooted and started Android Pay and tried to add a card, go the error that my hardware wasn't compatible, I hid/uninstalled SuperSU and reboot, then cleared all data from Android Pay, started it up again and it let me add my card and said everything is working.

When I get the chance to test I will report back my findings.

fastracer

Jan 22, 2008
Florida
If you leave root disabled it will always work (At least in my case)...as soon as you add root back and reboot...no go

xlogix

Nov 20, 2007
PGH, PA
Wallet has always worked on rooted without a hitch this bs didn't start until android pay came out. Good thing I have a physical wallet card and primarily use wallet for wire transfers between family memebers...I switch to keytag/keyring (blue icon in play store) since the split of wallet/pay into separate apps and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts