Doze not what expected

Search This thread

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
My guess is yes, some app is staying awake.

It would also explain slow charging....something is eating up CPU cycles and preventing the phone from idling down and sleeping.

It isnt just a 6P thing either....my LG G2 with numerous ROMs/kernels has occasionally experienced issues like this. Almost 100% of the time it could be traced to an app that was misbehaving. You can use a battery tracking app (GSM battery monitor, better battery stats, etc) to get more detailed info. If you arent rooted Im not sure how detailed the info can get, but its probably a lot better than the stock battery graph.

I've just installed BBS, so I'll see if it offers any explanation. If not, I'll probably have to troubleshoot with Safe Mode first, then try to figure out which app is causing this issue. Looks like it'll take some trial and error.

feralist

May 16, 2015
NYC
I've just installed BBS, so I'll see if it offers any explanation. If not, I'll probably have to troubleshoot with Safe Mode first, then try to figure out which app is causing this issue. Looks like it'll take some trial and error.

I guess I'm in a similar situation. Doze is simply not activating because I assume something is interfering with it. I'll leave my phone with 20% before bed and it's dead by morning. From what I've been reading/seeing on this forum it shouldn't sip more than 5% overnight.

I wish there was a list somewhere of apps that mess with Doze!

Reactions: Obeyryan

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Do you have bluetooth on? Try turning it off, there's a thread going around with a bluetooth wakelock on 6.0.

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
I guess I'm in a similar situation. Doze is simply not activating because I assume something is interfering with it. I'll leave my phone with 20% before bed and it's dead by morning. From what I've been reading/seeing on this forum it shouldn't sip more than 5% overnight.

I wish there was a list somewhere of apps that mess with Doze!

I was on with Google support this morning and specifically asked if they were aware of apps interfering with Doze and they (of course) would not give me a clear answer. They recommended exactly what I thought: Using Safe Mode for 24 hours, determining which apps are causing the issue, and/or factory resetting the phone.

feralist

May 16, 2015
NYC
I was on with Google support this morning and specifically asked if they were aware of apps interfering with Doze and they (of course) would not give me a clear answer. They recommended exactly what I thought: Using Safe Mode for 24 hours, determining which apps are causing the issue, and/or factory resetting the phone.

I'm pretty much at the point of a factory reset. Not a huge deal, I just got the phone last Wednesday.

Do you have bluetooth on? Try turning it off, there's a thread going around with a bluetooth wakelock on 6.0.

I keep BT off and only use as needed. I keep WiFi on all the time but I know that can't be the issue right?

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
I'm pretty much at the point of a factory reset. Not a huge deal, I just got the phone last Wednesday.

I keep BT off and only use as needed. I keep WiFi on all the time but I know that can't be the issue right?

Just as a note, I don't use Bluetooth either. I keep wifi on as well. Most of the Battery screenshots I've seen posted where Doze is clearly working (horizontal drain line) shows Wifi On and significantly fewer "Awake" periods. During the night my N6P is cycling through awake constantly.

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
Just as a note, I don't use Bluetooth either. I keep wifi on as well. Most of the Battery screenshots I've seen posted where Doze is clearly working (horizontal drain line) shows Wifi On and significantly fewer "Awake" periods. During the night my N6P is cycling through awake constantly.

I'm factory resetting as we speak. I'll just use stock apps for today/tonight and see if Doze kicks in during the night.

feralist

May 16, 2015
NYC
I'm factory resetting as we speak. I'll just use stock apps for today/tonight and see if Doze kicks in during the night.

Very curious to hear about the results of this.

Does a factory reset also delete data like Music, etc.? I wonder if not because it's held in the emulated storage, even though it's not an actual SD location.

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
Very curious to hear about the results of this.

Does a factory reset also delete data like Music, etc.? I wonder if not because it's held in the emulated storage, even though it's not an actual SD location.

Factory reset warned me that all files in internal storage would be deleted, including photos/music.

If it's not backed up to Google somewhere, it looks like it's toast.

notfaded1

Jun 18, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
Are you leaving bluetooth on?

There apears to possibly be a bug with bluetooth causing wakelocks all night long while phone is just sitting there and not allowing the doze to function. A few people have reported this... there's even a thread about it. Mines been dozing correctly. A few people found night and day difference if they turned bluetooth off completely. If this is true I'm sure google with patch it in an update... in the mean time maybe check with bluetooth off.
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6p/help/bluetooth-causing-wakelock-t3237226

Last edited:

DrunkFuX666

Feb 19, 2011
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 3a XL
Usually it's an app which is always causing the interference... One a few of the biggest ones in my experience which people don't realize is Facebook, including its messenger and Instagram... Any Facebook related app has the worst battery optimization. A close second is the Viber app if anyone uses that...

Uninstall them or be sure to greenify them... Tho greenify can't always hibernate Facebook...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
Usually it's an app which is always causing the interference... One a few of the biggest ones in my experience which people don't realize is Facebook, including its messenger and Instagram... Any Facebook related app has the worst battery optimization. A close second is the Viber app if anyone uses that...

Uninstall them or be sure to greenify them... Tho greenify can't always hibernate Facebook...

Sent from my Nexus 6P
And just a tip if you want Facebook notifications, Chrome can push these to your phone. I removed the facebook app and I got a notification from Chrome whenever someone commented on my posts.

achuxtreme

Nov 17, 2011
Brampton
This is how doze works in my Nexus 5X. Heavy user.

Attachments

• 1446481671412.jpg
    1446481671412.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,303
Reactions: Luigiesin

feralist

May 16, 2015
NYC

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I'm a very heavy Viber user-- but if Viber has battery optimization settings on, why would it still be the culprit?

hutzdani

May 9, 2010
London
It aucks pretty hard, its been 3days since I rooted and flashes the CFboot.img and Doze is still optimising.

I think it's gone to India to meditate somewhere and forgit its return tickets.

So far it's a POS, even using the editor and having more aggressive still never finished optimising ( 2 days wait )

Also I read people are saying WiFi scanning setting seems to keep the phone awake if your always connected at home.

The attached image is from a day with 2 or so hours sat still on a desk.

Doze needs work IMHO

Attachments

• Screenshot_20151102-165014.png
    Screenshot_20151102-165014.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 819
  • Screenshot_20151102-165714.png
    Screenshot_20151102-165714.png
    173.5 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
After factory resetting, I've got the following additional apps installed:

- Textra SMS
- Instagram
- Snapchat

Keeping an eye on doze through tonight.

Reactions: Obeyryan

belloni

Jun 8, 2013
It aucks pretty hard, its been 3days since I rooted and flashes the CFboot.img and Doze is still optimising.

I think it's gone to India to meditate somewhere and forgit its return tickets.

So far it's a POS, even using the editor and having more aggressive still never finished optimising ( 2 days wait )

Also I read people are saying WiFi scanning setting seems to keep the phone awake if your always connected at home.

The attached image is from a day with 2 or so hours sat still on a desk.

Doze needs work IMHO

I'm quite certain that it will always say "Optimising" and nothing else unless stated otherwise?

osi13

Jun 25, 2010
Is anyone else using WiFi calling?

I have scanning off for BT and WiFi, and I've been losing 6-10% overnight with BT off and data set to 2G. I also have almost every Google app removed from /system/app /system/priv-app. I was losing 1% on M preview 1 with my Nexus 5 overnight, so something isn't right. I don't appear to have any wake locks, but I'm wondering if WiFi calling is the cause for drain. I tried greenify's aggressive doze but don't like it because it stops telegram's notifications from coming in. OP, maybe that's your issue? I'm going to try tonight with WiFi calling off.

steveg545

Sep 22, 2009
Is anyone else using WiFi calling?

I have scanning off for BT and WiFi, and I've been losing 6-10% overnight with BT off and data set to 2G. I also have almost every Google app removed from /system/app /system/priv-app. I was losing 1% on M preview 1 with my Nexus 5 overnight, so something isn't right. I don't appear to have any wake locks, but I'm wondering if WiFi calling is the cause for drain. I tried greenify's aggressive doze but don't like it because it stops telegram's notifications from coming in. OP, maybe that's your issue? I'm going to try tonight with WiFi calling off.

Unfortunately, I'm on Verizon Wireless. No WiFi calling available.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
    And just a tip if you want Facebook notifications, Chrome can push these to your phone. I removed the facebook app and I got a notification from Chrome whenever someone commented on my posts.
    Doze is not something you activate. Under "battery optimization," all apps are currently being optimized for battery use. There is no "Doze" setting to enable.
    Yesterday I was at work and couldn't put my phone on table and not move it for a long time. but when I get home, I fully charged it and leave it on a table.

First I tried about 4 hours (from 9:52 PM to 2:10 AM) with wifi and mobile data off. battery drained from 100% to 80%.
    Then I turned mobile data on, and keep wifi off for 6 hours (from 2:16 AM to 8:16 AM) and battery drained from 78% to 48%.
    Then I turned wifi on and connected to my home network, I did not change any advanced settings, Network notification was on, keep wifi on during sleep sets to always, and wifi frequency band is set to automatic. this time for about 2 and half hours (from 8:33 AM to 10:50 AM, I was worried battery would drain fully) battery drained from 46% to 36%.

battery life is much better (5%/h) than few days ago (7~10%/h), but still I cannot see doze horizontal bar in battery usage graph.

There are something strange for me, in the screenshots attached.
    1. why wifi bar in history details is always on, while I turned it off from 9:52 PM to 8:30 AM?
    2. why there are some bluetooth activity in BBS graph? I never turned it on

P.S. I flashed factory images and root my phone yesterday morning, and only app I installed was BetterBattaeryStatus

Disable wifi and Bluetooth scanning under locations.
    When I got my N6P, I had expected standby time to be amazing thanks to Android Doze. My first day of use shows a lot of "awake" activity during the time when the phone is sitting on my bed side table, completely motionless.

Has anyone else had experience with their N6P doing the same? Am I doing something wrong that caused Doze to never activate?

As a frame of reference, when I went to bed the phone was at 47%. I took the screenshots when I woke up this morning.

Make sure it's on, and you've optimized all apps for battery savings. I lose 2% over night.
    How do you know it's activated? The articles I've read say its automatic and you just need to leave the phone still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I activated mine when my phone arrived. Settings>battery then use the battery menu and select battery optimisation.