Wireless Charger ?

Search This thread
Feb 22, 2011
Hi,

I just received my Sony Smartwatch 3 and something looks weird to me. The charger plug is located in a not convenient location. So I'm wondering if an inductive charging is possible and what charger model would be compatible.

Thx.

Khidr

Jun 21, 2010
Philadelphia
no chance. Just have to fiddle with that bad boy. a cradle would help. I'd think a third party could develop a qi charging plate/case that you could leave plugged in. Something like this but sized correctly.

DalSegno

Jul 5, 2008
I really wonder why they didn't put magnetic charging contacts on one of the edges of the watch unit. Would have been so convenient since I already have Sony docks and USB cables with magnetic ends.

dingbatt

Jul 17, 2010
See I completely disagree. I like the fact that Sony have just made the charging by micro USB. So I only have to carry one charger that does my watch, phone and tablet. The positioning of the port is inconvenient, but I believe it is where it is so it is unseen and doesn't rub against your wrist. What they really need to package with the watch is a cable that is a decent length that has a right angle plug at the watch end to make it easier to insert.

jwelch010

Dec 7, 2014
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
This made my life a little easier:

Attachments

• 1419120662137.jpg
    1419120662137.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 11,578

sovanyio

Jul 1, 2010
See I completely disagree. I like the fact that Sony have just made the charging by micro USB. So I only have to carry one charger that does my watch, phone and tablet. The positioning of the port is inconvenient, but I believe it is where it is so it is unseen and doesn't rub against your wrist. What they really need to package with the watch is a cable that is a decent length that has a right angle plug at the watch end to make it easier to insert.

Well they probably could have done both, I would have liked Qi as an option in addition to the uUSB. But oh well. I counted it as a trade off for the nascent nfc and wifi.

Joolz03

Aug 10, 2010
Getting a znaps magnetic adapter for micro USB to try on my sw3. If it works, it will make charging much easier. I only worry that it will make the watch no longer waterproof.

Sent from my LG-H815 using XDA Free mobile app

Paul in Maryland

Jul 3, 2008
Yesterday, I took my new Smartwatch 3 and inserted a Cisno Ultra Micro USB Magnetic Adapter Charger Cable. It works! What's more, even with the charging port's rubber flap bent backward, my wrist can't feel any difference; I'm using the metal (stainless steel) band and don't own the rubber band to test it with.

Here's a stock photo of the Cisno adapter attached to a phone:

41hJm44RUjL.jpg

I assume that any magnetic adapter that looks like this will work; in fact, the Cisno turned out to be a Wsken. That irked me: I specifically bought the Cisno because the seller claimed it's strictly for charging, not for data, and I didn't want to risk that my Sony watch or my Sony Z Ultra GPE phone would interpret the charger to be in data mode. In any case, the watch's battery charged rapidly, going from 1% to 100% in about 25 minutes.

For anyone who is considering the Sony Smartwatch 3 but finds micro-USB charging too much trouble, a magnetic charger is a game changer. Just remember that it requires a proprietary 3ft cable; you'll probably want to buy extra kits so you'll have additional cables for the office, the car, and your travel kit. I haven't found kits that offer a longer cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dersie

ssg-daniel

Mar 11, 2015
Just got mine - putting the adapter into the MicroUSB port was kind of scary as you have to press really hard (and might break something). I am really happy in the end though - makes charging so much easier.

newtekz

Oct 13, 2011
I got mine from Tinydeals for under $4. I can confirm, the adapter doesn't bother me. All I need now is to find a replacement metal band.

pawces

Jan 21, 2008
Manila
clever! would it affect the water resistance though, having the rubber flap open like that? I went for the right-angled micro usb cord and it has been great so far.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Received mine :)

Really very very easy to use and plug the sw3 for charge. It does not even bother wrist. Also very usefull for a phone in car, easiest to connect the usb cable in the dark.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc
    I really wonder why they didn't put magnetic charging contacts on one of the edges of the watch unit. Would have been so convenient since I already have Sony docks and USB cables with magnetic ends.
    Yesterday, I took my new Smartwatch 3 and inserted a Cisno Ultra Micro USB Magnetic Adapter Charger Cable. It works! What's more, even with the charging port's rubber flap bent backward, my wrist can't feel any difference; I'm using the metal (stainless steel) band and don't own the rubber band to test it with.

Here's a stock photo of the Cisno adapter attached to a phone:

41hJm44RUjL.jpg

I assume that any magnetic adapter that looks like this will work; in fact, the Cisno turned out to be a Wsken. That irked me: I specifically bought the Cisno because the seller claimed it's strictly for charging, not for data, and I didn't want to risk that my Sony watch or my Sony Z Ultra GPE phone would interpret the charger to be in data mode. In any case, the watch's battery charged rapidly, going from 1% to 100% in about 25 minutes.

For anyone who is considering the Sony Smartwatch 3 but finds micro-USB charging too much trouble, a magnetic charger is a game changer. Just remember that it requires a proprietary 3ft cable; you'll probably want to buy extra kits so you'll have additional cables for the office, the car, and your travel kit. I haven't found kits that offer a longer cable.
    It's easy to remove. Unlike with most Sony smartphones that use this kind of port cover on the SWR3 you have full access to the mechanism. Take the watch out of the armstrap and you can see it.
    Prod the barp like part of the latch with a small screwdriver or something similar while you gently pull at the latchdoor and it slides right out.
    Putting it back in is no problem either.

I was thinking about buying one of those magnetic charging plugs too but the problems people had with the first LG smartwatch have kept me from doing so. The contact pins press against the skin on your arms. I wonder if sweat might pose a problem. It's conductive. Add electrical current to that and it may corrode the pins, lead to unvoluntary discharging of the battery or even shorts in the device. Many devices have pogo pins to charge and for data transfer but they usually aren't pressed against your skin all day long. If power was cut unless the actual charging cable is attached I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of those adapters but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.
    Do you think that pins in the magnetic charging plug are the same or different from those of the samsung gear fit?
    I wore it for 20 months, sweating a lot when cycling and I never had problems with corrosion, unvoluntary discharging of the battery or even shorts in my gear fit.
    I also would like to try these magnetic charging plugs....

I don't know if they are the same. It is certainly possible to create a magnetic charging solution that is save and does work. Put some gold plating on the pogo pins and they won't corrode. That won't help with unvoluntary discharging though. As long as there is a connection between the pogo pins and the battery and you connect the positive and negative pins somehow like with your skin a current can flow between those two poles depending on how good that connection is. There are several ways to prevent that from happening but they all have in common that the manufacturer of the charging solution would have to put in some extra effort/money. They don't tend to do that if they don't have to. Samsung did it in the Gear Fit you own. They had to because they knew the pins would touch your skin. The third party magnetic chargers however are not meant to be used like that. At least not specifically. You would have to ask the manufacturer if their charger is save for this kind of use.