Use Sprint Note5 on Tmobile

Search This thread

joeyzh

Dec 7, 2015
Hi guys, this is my first post so please be easy on me. I have an unlocked Sprint Note5 that I use on Tmobile network right now. I added the 'fast. t-mobile.com' APN and have mobile network working. BUT ONLY 3G!! The fastest I've gotten so far is about 10 Mbps or so, and usually it's just 2-3 Mbps.

My question: is there a way for me to get LTE on this device with Tmobile? Or it's hardware/software impossible? For the simple reason of Samsung Pay, I'd rather not root my phone. The Samsung Pay has given A LOT promotions so far and I prefer to keep it.

laofan

Oct 27, 2011
Virginia Beach
Hi guys, this is my first post so please be easy on me. I have an unlocked Sprint Note5 that I use on Tmobile network right now. I added the 'fast. t-mobile.com' APN and have mobile network working. BUT ONLY 3G!! The fastest I've gotten so far is about 10 Mbps or so, and usually it's just 2-3 Mbps.

My question: is there a way for me to get LTE on this device with Tmobile? Or it's hardware/software impossible? For the simple reason of Samsung Pay, I'd rather not root my phone. The Samsung Pay has given A LOT promotions so far and I prefer to keep it.

How do you unlock a sprint note 5 without root?

MrLeon

Apr 2, 2010
NYC

I was in this same predicament. You have to choose LTE.

What worked for me was choosing LTE/CDMA mode from Network Mode and then when setting up the APN, there should be a section at the bottom that says 'Bearer'. Click that and choose LTE. After that LTE started working for me. You should also be able to switch to Automatic Network Mode after this.

Last edited:
Reactions: makkonen

joeyzh

Dec 7, 2015
OMG, it worked like magic!! Who would know to choose LTE/CDMA knowing that Tmobile uses GSM. Many many thanks!! All of sudden I'm getting ~50 Mbps v.s. the 2 Mbps 3G speed. This is NICE!

What worked for me was choosing LTE/CDMA mode from Network Mode and then when setting up the APN, there should be a section at the bottom that says 'Bearer'. Click that and choose LTE. After that LTE started working for me. You should also be able to switch to Automatic Network Mode after this.

joeyzh

Dec 7, 2015
I bought the phone at full price at Best Buy and it took me a while fighting with Sprint to get it unlocked (I was with Sprint at the time even). According to their unlock policy posted online, the phone should be automatically unlocked already if bought at full price. They honored that but it just took forever and so many departments to get it done eventually. You'd have to be tenacious about it. I plan to do a factory reset with tmobile sim in to get rid of all the Sprint bloatware.

How do you unlock a sprint note 5 without root?

so is the phone already unlock

Last edited:

crfri

Dec 18, 2015
OMG, it worked like magic!! Who would know to choose LTE/CDMA knowing that Tmobile uses GSM. Many many thanks!! All of sudden I'm getting ~50 Mbps v.s. the 2 Mbps 3G speed. This is NICE!

Hi everybody, also my first message here.
I got the same problem, but a little worse. I bought a SM N920P unlocked by mistake (from ebay) as I didn`t know that Sprint was CDMA. I live in Brazil and there`s only GSM carriers. It works here for voice and data but can only get 3G (up to 8mbps) while my other phone (moto e 4G) goes up to 30 mbps. And if I choose LTE/CDMA it goes offline .
And worse, it always trying to activate and receiving the message 'activation not completed'.
I wonder if I root it could it be turned from N920P into N920i or any other.... is it possible?

Last edited:

MrLeon

Apr 2, 2010
NYC
Hi everybody, also my first message here.
I got the same problem, but a little worse. I bought a SM N920P unlocked by mistake (from ebay) as I didn`t know that Sprint was CDMA. I live in Brazil and there`s only GSM carriers. It works here for voice and data but can only get 3G (up to 8mbps) while my other phone (moto e 4G) goes up to 30 mbps. And if I choose LTE/CDMA it goes offline .
And worse, it always trying to activate and receiving the message 'activation not completed'.
I wonder if I root it could it be turned from N920P into N920i or any other.... is it possible?

Have you figured this out yet? For me, you had to choose LTE from the "Bearer" setting in the APN settings. Not only Network Mode.

Chamako Ak-47

Dec 15, 2015
I got the same problem, now im LTE, my data is normal, but when i mannaged to make a call, it says sim error or no sim...
Can someone help me fix this problem?
In settings i got LTE/CDMA
And the bearer on aon is lte...
Help me fix this im not able to make calls

zounduser

Mar 2, 2012
sioux falls SD
I got the same problem, now im LTE, my data is normal, but when i mannaged to make a call, it says sim error or no sim...

Hey I'm on Verizon note 5, and I haven't found a fix yet. However, u can follow my fix here.....http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3280342

last post in the thread. I've found a way to enable LTE, until a phone call is made, then u need to switch back to cdma/LTE until LTE pops up, then switch it back to global. It's a solution, but kind of sucks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using XDA-Developers mobile app

azutel

Mar 2, 2007
fix for all your issues.

This is the fix that worked for me but, you need to have your MSL code for the phone...everything works for me LTE MMS everything.
youtube{dot}com/watch?v=5tBeKAGkc1Y
As far as to remove hands free activation..your phone needs to be rooted and follow this guide since this method worked for me.
youtube{dot}com/watch?v=-SEVcT9FJvw

Foruonlyfrom007

Feb 9, 2017
You need to put it back to auto after you get lte to work. This allows it to switch between the two when you are making calls or online. If you keep it in lte/cdma, your gsm carrier will not wotk.

frizzdizzle27

Mar 24, 2015
Monterey CA
This worked for perfectly for me! Thanks foruonlyfrom007 for the advice to set it to automatic. Now i have LTE and can make calls with no issues! And by the way all you have to do is download package disabler from playstore to stop the activation, no root necessary:):):)

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

This is the fix that worked for me but, you need to have your MSL code for the phone...everything works for me LTE MMS everything.
As far as to remove hands free activation..your phone needs to be rooted and follow this guide since this method worked for me.

All you need to download is package disabler pro, disable samsungDMservice and your set:):):)

Last edited:

GenxWireless

Feb 21, 2017
Hi , i see that ppl in here got the LTE and Gsm service, i have a note 5, i unlocked it from a friend (unfortunately i couldnt get hold of him for a while) but now when i put the tmobile sim on the setting there is no "mobile netowk" option how can i get my mobile network option so that i can choose the gsm network(but when i put the sprint sim it/mobile network button comes back) plz help im in dieing need of it, thanx

ericdabbs

Jun 28, 2007
Los Angeles

the first youtube video link is no longer working.

dextgod

Sep 5, 2012
Birmingham AL, Roll-Tide
Note 5

go to the play store and download a App called 4G Swither once you download it open the App and scroll down to where its says turn Off Radio , just above it you should the option to chage your sittins please chose LTE/GSM auto (PRL)

demonangel98

Feb 23, 2017
Help

I already got the calls and the data working perfect i just having problems with my mms cant recieve or send them any help

textbook

Mar 3, 2016
I already got the calls and the data working perfect i just having problems with my mms cant recieve or send them any help

Yes I was able to get mms working perfectly simply by adding port 80 as the mms port.

My only problem now is that mms only works when I am not connected to wifi. If I receive any mms I have to disconnect from wifi and then tap it to receive it.

If anyone knows how to make mms work with wifi too, please comment and add @textbook.

TheMadScientist

Recognized Contributor
Yes I was able to get mms working perfectly simply by adding port 80 as the mms port.

My only problem now is that mms only works when I am not connected to wifi. If I receive any mms I have to disconnect from wifi and then tap it to receive it.

If anyone knows how to make mms work with wifi too, please comment and add @textbook.

ive had this issue on many phones theres a setting about download mms while on wifi usally on most 5.1 and newer not all bu most
it kicks in lte or highest data speed avail even with wifi on just to dl the mms
something about wifi handover to lte making sure wifi calling is on but i saw a setting in mine somewhere just for that

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.