Root Success SM-G530AZ 5.1.1!!!

Search This thread

wally86

Dec 13, 2015
Roscommon, MI
All credit goes to captaingowa and his post (http://xdaforums.com/grand-prime/general/att-samsung-galaxy-prime-sm-g530a-links-t3283066) for the AT&T version.

I'm just providing stock kernel for 5.1.1 SM-G530AZ

1. Root SM-G530AZ 5.1.1 with kingroot 4.6.2 or higer (kingroot.net)

2. DON'T Reboot

3. Download and install Flashify on play store or APK

4. Flash stock kernel with flashify (http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fk19cadccq0xd7/boot.img)

5. Reboot.

6. Replace kinguser with supersu (optional) (http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1efi7ev6nf3mvd/Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0.zip)

7. Enjoy

Last edited:

Illyakulinych

Dec 7, 2015
All credit goes to captaingowa and his post (http://xdaforums.com/grand-prime/general/att-samsung-galaxy-prime-sm-g530a-links-t3283066) for the AT&T version.

I'm just providing stock kernel for 5.1.1 SM-G530AZ

1. Root SM-G530AZ 5.1.1 with kingroot 4.6.2 or higer (kingroot.net)

2. DON'T Reboot

3. Download and install Flashify on play store or APK

4. Flash stock kernel with flashify (http://www.mediafire.com/download/2fk19cadccq0xd7/boot.img)

5. Reboot.

6. Replace kinguser with supersu (optional) (http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1efi7ev6nf3mvd/Replace_Kinguser_with_SuperSU-v2.0.zip)

7. Enjoy
Awesome, thank you so much:). Going to try it right now, but I'm betting it will work. Thank you again for putting this all together.

Reactions: MichelleV

kenboyles72

Dec 29, 2010
Nice, think I flashed the wrong boot.img from that thread, there are two different img's, one as tar and the other as img. We actually need the img in the tar, which you have posted above. Thanks for posting this up.

kenboyles72

Dec 29, 2010
I tried the same procedure and my wifi will still not work!!!

There are a couple things you can do here.

1. Try re-downloading the boot.img and reflashing with flashify
2. Try flashing the boot.img with Odin3
3. Restoring your phone with Kies http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61977268&postcount=14

I rooted my phone and had to restore with kies three times before i got my wifi working. This is only if I switched to SuperSU, if you stay with kingroot, you wont have the wifi issue.

adj5064

Dec 2, 2012
so the root metod its safe??? now there is another metod done from between Android using terminal emulator to switch from kingroot to chains fire super su! you have to be fully rooted to be able to work on terminal emulator.
but the root metod for sm g530az its safe?

IndyViva

Jan 5, 2016
flashing the stock kernel, do you click boot image or recovery image?

---------- Post added at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

OK, I got the wifi to turn back on by using the link above again.

I still cant get the wifi tether app to work, tho.

any suggestions?

Reactions: jpet11580

adj5064

Dec 2, 2012
well..happy to report that root on criket grand prime sm-g530az its a big...SUCCESS!!!
Im rooted on lollipop 5.1.1.
i do have cwm recovery but i need to flash it and see how it goes.for those with the Wi-Fi problem flash that boot image again.i have two one didn't work so i flash that second and Wi-Fi was working again.
Samsung bootlogo reports as "custom" so guaranty its gone :p
but I don't care abt that,im rooted thnx guys for sharing all that informacion!

IndyViva

Jan 5, 2016
I got the root to work with kingroot, but didn't do the 'optional' SU part, but now I want to.

Can anyone tell me what the step is with that zip file? do I download it directly to the phone? use Flashify? if I'm using flashify, do I flash it as a "boot image", a "recovery image" or a "zip file" ?

LOL talk to me like I'm five, please! I'm a noob at this. I'm smart at some things but this is a little overwhelming. LOL I'm a critical care nurse. I can fix a PERSON, but phones are a little more complicated :laugh:

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Oh OOH OOOHH!!!

Did that final step and the wifi tethering app WORKS!!!

WHOO HOOOOO!!!!

Thanks, wally, you are AWESOME!!

Nitro1max1

Jan 15, 2014
well..happy to report that root on criket grand prime sm-g530az its a big...SUCCESS!!!
Im rooted on lollipop 5.1.1.
i do have cwm recovery but i need to flash it and see how it goes.for those with the Wi-Fi problem flash that boot image again.i have two one didn't work so i flash that second and Wi-Fi was working again.
Samsung bootlogo reports as "custom" so guaranty its gone :p
but I don't care abt that,im rooted thnx guys for sharing all that informacion!

Wait you have cwm compiled for our sm-g530az? That would be useful

toxinburn

Jul 11, 2013
Ward
Moto G Stylus
Okay thanks a ton for the info, finally got my wifi back after flashing the correct boot.img, not sure where it was on the original forum never saw it but luckily others that had same issue posted it.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Going to try to blow the dust off my builduntu box and see if I cant get us a recovery going for the cricket version, I usually like twrp but now that cwm has touch as well could go that route....is their a custom recovery built for the other variants at all yet....if so then forking those repos would be a good starting point, should only take minor edits to get it working proper for us.

kenboyles72

Dec 29, 2010
Okay thanks a ton for the info, finally got my wifi back after flashing the correct boot.img, not sure where it was on the original forum never saw it but luckily others that had same issue posted it.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

Going to try to blow the dust off my builduntu box and see if I cant get us a recovery going for the cricket version, I usually like twrp but now that cwm has touch as well could go that route....is their a custom recovery built for the other variants at all yet....if so then forking those repos would be a good starting point, should only take minor edits to get it working proper for us.

I already built twrp for this phone, but as you found out, the damn security checks prevent the use of it. This is my device tree, can't remember if I pushed my last commits and I dont have what I had, due to a hdd failure.
https://github.com/LoneStar-/android_device_samsung_grandprimeltetu

Illyakulinych

Dec 7, 2015
I already built twrp for this phone, but as you found out, the damn security checks prevent the use of it. This is my device tree, can't remember if I pushed my last commits and I dont have what I had, due to a hdd failure.
https://github.com/LoneStar-/android_device_samsung_grandprimeltetu
So can you get a custom recovery working for this device? I have tried many ways but they all ended with my flashing stock img. twrp or cwm would be fine by me. Or another alternative is to find out how to disable the security check. Anyway please find a way to get custom recovery for 5.1.1 SM-G530AZ. Thanks

toxinburn

Jul 11, 2013
Ward
Moto G Stylus
So can you get a custom recovery working for this device? I have tried many ways but they all ended with my flashing stock img. twrp or cwm would be fine by me. Or another alternative is to find out how to disable the security check. Anyway please find a way to get custom recovery for 5.1.1 SM-G530AZ. Thanks

Okay I think we should put our heads together to try and kick this lockdown to the curb, things I have tried so far...I found that on some other variants they have the option within their settings/developer settings menu to enable oem unlock which is what we are needing to be able to flash custom recovery, I have replaced my settings.jar and settings.odex with theirs with no luck the option is still not showing up for me, but I think it may be the right direction into getting that to show up, the question i am now posing is this. Are the checks in place simply reading carrier info to allow/disallow this option? If so would we possibly be able to change the build.prop or other settings with our newly found root access to trick the device into giving this option? If that is the case then we need to get as much info from the stock devices that have that option as possible and maybe try swapping certain files out with theirs to get the option back and/or editing certain files on our own device to get it to show up. It only takes one g530AZ with unlocked bootloader to share the boot.img i would think. I had thought about flashing another boot.img or aboot.img from another variant but I am pretty concerned about brickage although I think it could be recoverable as long as one can get back into download mode. Has anyone zeroed out the download partition to see if a fastboot is hidden behind it?

Illyakulinych

Dec 7, 2015
Okay I think we should put our heads together to try and kick this lockdown to the curb, things I have tried so far...I found that on some other variants they have the option within their settings/developer settings menu to enable oem unlock which is what we are needing to be able to flash custom recovery, I have replaced my settings.jar and settings.odex with theirs with no luck the option is still not showing up for me, but I think it may be the right direction into getting that to show up, the question i am now posing is this. Are the checks in place simply reading carrier info to allow/disallow this option? If so would we possibly be able to change the build.prop or other settings with our newly found root access to trick the device into giving this option? If that is the case then we need to get as much info from the stock devices that have that option as possible and maybe try swapping certain files out with theirs to get the option back and/or editing certain files on our own device to get it to show up. It only takes one g530AZ with unlocked bootloader to share the boot.img i would think. I had thought about flashing another boot.img or aboot.img from another variant but I am pretty concerned about brickage although I think it could be recoverable as long as one can get back into download mode. Has anyone zeroed out the download partition to see if a fastboot is hidden behind it?
Any progress?

toxinburn

Jul 11, 2013
Ward
Moto G Stylus
Only thing I have done Is zeroed out the sec partition which caused non problem however it did no good either....also playing around with the databases and able to change some options just not the one in wanting yet...I work a ton son my freetime is limited but if anyone that has a different variant that could share their system apps primarily their settings all and databases and xml associated with it is really like to look through them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts