SlimMarsh for OtterX unofficial MRA58V

Search This thread

lovejoy777

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 30, 2011
Nottingham
om think im going to bite the bullet and get my Amazon fire today ?? anyone got any links on device repos etc for building roms?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: lllukas

sabres032

Nov 26, 2012
Kendall
I've been out of the loop for awhile with the silly season. @lovejoy777 glad you enjoyed your trip.

My OG Fire is on its last legs and my Nexus 7 2012 WiFi but the dust. Picked up a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi for a reasonable price last week so I have something to keep me distracted while at work.

Hope everyone had a happy and safe New Year.

bhasden

Aug 15, 2009
So I found a few kernel commits that seem to fix many issues.

They seem to fix gapps related force-closes and video playback. I can confirm Netflix and YouTube working.

I don't have slim source synced at the moment, but I made a CyanogenMod 13 (Android 6.0.1) build if anyone wants to try it out.

Install instructions:
wipe data, cache, dalvik-cache, and system
flash ROM
flash Gapps
boot
let sit for 5-10 minutes
reboot (first boot after data wipe currently doesn't have WiFi working)
setup and enjoy!

ROM download

Recommended Gapps
Not sure if anyone got back to you with feedback on your CM13 builds, but the 12/28 build works really well. The bluetooth doesn't work and I had to update the CPU governor to "performance" because otherwise the device lagged too much, but other than that it's been surprisingly stable and serviceable. Thanks a ton.

Reactions: lovejoy777

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
Not sure if anyone got back to you with feedback on your CM13 builds, but the 12/28 build works really well. The bluetooth doesn't work and I had to update the CPU governor to "performance" because otherwise the device lagged too much, but other than that it's been surprisingly stable and serviceable. Thanks a ton.

The Kindle Fire isn't capable of bluetooth so that's why bluetooth doesn't work. Thanks for the feedback, I plan to have another build with more fixes soon.

chykal

Dec 31, 2010
S/E Michigan

They seem to fix gapps related force-closes and video playback. I can confirm Netflix and YouTube working.

I don't have slim source synced at the moment, but I made a CyanogenMod 13 (Android 6.0.1) build if anyone wants to try it out.

Install instructions:
flash ROM
flash Gapps
boot
let sit for 5-10 minutes
setup and enjoy!

ROM download

Recommended Gapps
I just loaded this little gem up and right out of the box it is sweet. Thanks for this awesome ROM!

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using Tapatalk

Hashbang173

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 6, 2012
This is great! Cant believe 6.0 MM on my Kindle - my Galaxy S5 cant even do it! (Here I come Nexus) Thank you!!
Yeah, cm-13 runs surprisingly well now on otterx.

SELinux needs some work for M before we can get it back in enforcing. I plan on doing a SEPolicy bringup for M in the near future.

Once that is done, maybe I'll stop hijacking this thread and make my own cm-13 thread.

GLInick

Oct 2, 2009
I have been playing with the latest SlimMarsh and need to get Kernel Adiutor working, which reports that my kindle fire otterx is not rooted. so, the obviously dumb question is: how do I root?

I tried with the saferoot zip and it gives this error when it tries to invoke the getroot executable:

T:\kf\saferoot>install.bat
--- Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Root ---
--- Based on the CVE-2013-6282 exploit by cubeundcube ---

Do you want to install Busybox on your device [Y/N]? y
[*] Testing adb usability

Plug in your phone and Press any key to continue . . .

[*] Waiting for your phone to appear
[*] Your phone is detected and ready for rooting.

[*] Sending files to your device...

[*] Starting rooting program.
error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported.

[*] Checking if rooting succeeded

[*] Unfortunately, rooting failed. Cleaning up.
[*] Note: if you see 'Your Kernel is Patched!' then that means
[*] that Saferoot won't work with your phone. Please try some other
[*] way of rooting it.
Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks for any help.

fyi: on otterx, and trwp 3 for otterx.

UPDATE: this is no longer an issue after playing around with SuperSu and rebooting a few times. I don't quite know what did the trick, but RootChecker tells me that root access is properly installed and I was able to run Kernel Adiutor and make the adjustments recommended.

Last edited:

GLInick

Oct 2, 2009
gmail accounts do not work in the mail app

So far, it looks impressive that this runs quite well on the KF.

There is some issue with the mail apps (built-in) and the Gmail app from the PS. Neither app seems to work with any of my gmail accounts. When I go into the Gmail app, and try to add a gmail account, it reports that it is already added, and helps me find it, but goes into a loop on that. I have added a yahoo acct and can read email on that just fine, but the list of email accounts in the mail app only shows that one yahoo acct.

Curiously, the notification drawer seems to notify me of new emails even from the gmail account.

:confused:

chykal

Dec 31, 2010
S/E Michigan
So far, it looks impressive that this runs quite well on the KF.

There is some issue with the mail apps (built-in) and the Gmail app from the PS. Neither app seems to work with any of my gmail accounts. When I go into the Gmail app, and try to add a gmail account, it reports that it is already added, and helps me find it, but goes into a loop on that. I have added a yahoo acct and can read email on that just fine, but the list of email accounts in the mail app only shows that one yahoo acct.

Curiously, the notification drawer seems to notify me of new emails even from the gmail account.

:confused:
Did you try clearing cache and data on the Gmail app?

BobJayJr

Jan 20, 2014
I have been playing with the latest SlimMarsh and need to get Kernel Adiutor working, which reports that my kindle fire otterx is not rooted. so, the obviously dumb question is: how do I root?

Here's what worked for me:
- install developer options (under "about tablet" tap "build number" repeatedly until developer options appear)
- in developer options disable "root device" exit and re-enter "root device" select "apps + adb" exit again. You should be good to go.

Sent from my Amazon OtterX using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    0001.png

SlimMarsh for OtterX

This Rom is for the Kindle Fire (1st Gen) with Hashcodes OtterX partition layout ONLY.

SlimRoms is a custom android operating system. The main goal is to offer users a slimmed down but still feature rich alternative to other android operating systems.
    The entire SlimTeam work together to bring you this tailor-made beauty straight from Android Open Source Project (AOSP) source code.
    All of the sources can be publicly viewed through GitHub and you can stop by the public Gerrit to submit patches of any type.

Slim6 is the project name for SlimRoms based on Android 6.0, SlimMarsh is my version and offers the following original features:
    New features coming soon, I'm still getting the base stable

Full SlimMarsh Features

Disclaimer: neither me or SlimRoms are to be held responsible for any damages to your device.

Instructions
    If coming from another rom.

1st make sure you have Hashcodes otterx bootloader 2.05 and his otterx TWRP recovery installed and are using the otterx partitions
    See here for instructions for the above. Link:http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2671619

2nd boot into twrp and go to advanced wipe menu and wipe everything including internal storage

3rd adb push rom and gapps to sdcard.
    $adb push <path/to/rom> /sdcard
    $adb push <path/to/gapps> /sdcard

4th install rom and gapps.

5th reboot and enjoy:)

Downloads

please see second post for downloads and links etc

ChangeLogs
    Link:http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/changelog

SlimRoms source code
    Link:http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/source

My Github
    Link: Needs tidying its a mess.

Credits
    please take the time to thank these great people

Hashcode for his magic and dedication keeping the Kindle alive.
    SlimRom Team for there awesome source & gapps Link:http://www.slimroms.net/
    SlimRoms General Credits Link:http://www.slimroms.net/index.php/general-credits

Lovejoy777 Rom Maintainer
    Koop Rom Tester (any problems then its koops fault :) )
    Hashbang173 for his work on getting Marsh Mallow device and kernel repos upto date.

XDA:DevDB Information
    SlimMarsh, ROM for the Amazon Kindle Fire

Contributors
    lovejoy777, Hashbang173, koop1955
    ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow
    Based On: SlimRom

Version Information

Created 2015-11-23
    Last Updated 2015-11-24

Install instructions:
    flash ROM
    flash Gapps
    boot
    let sit for 5-10 minutes
    setup and enjoy!

ROM download

Recommended Gapps
    Downloads

Roms
    These are the 1st Alpha builds so expect some bugs
    must flash rom then gapps before rebooting.

on these earlier builds i suggest a clean wipe on each update.

Alpha-0.1 Rom Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087002494
    Alpha-0.2 Rom Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087006788
    Alpha-0.3 Rom Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087008993
    (1st boot will hang or crash on initial boot. leave it for a minute or 2 then reboot (long press power), upon rebooting it will boot to the welcome wizard).

Zero-OtterX-Gapps Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087006813
    Mini-OtterX-Gapps Link: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24269982087005160

Enjoy Steve
    This is great! Cant believe 6.0 MM on my Kindle - my Galaxy S5 cant even do it! (Here I come Nexus) Thank you!!
    Yeah, cm-13 runs surprisingly well now on otterx.

SELinux needs some work for M before we can get it back in enforcing. I plan on doing a SEPolicy bringup for M in the near future.

Once that is done, maybe I'll stop hijacking this thread and make my own cm-13 thread.