Follow Up from LG Repair

Search This thread

helichrysum

Jan 1, 2016
Just wanted to follow up regarding my cracked screen from the drop from my pocket to the linoleum laundry room floor. Phone was sent in to LG for diagnosis and they showed great service by quickly responding back (4 days from sending the phone from Idaho to Texas). Unfortunately I don't think they did too much analysis as their diagnosis was a canned response that said "the malfunction was caused by physical damage or water/liquid damage which is not covered under warranty."

It wasn't a malfunction. I dropped it from pocket level and the screen splintered. From all of the advertising and 3rd party drop test videos I've seen, when properly built the phone withstands WAY more than one 3 foot drop. But whatever. I acknowledge it was my butterfingers that made the drop.

At any rate, my dilemma is do I pay the $146/$153 for the repair/repair and refurbish charge or do I DIY with the digitizer I ordered from a 3rd party? I know going forward that unfortunately this will be the last LG I own. With so many other options from Moto, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, etc companies need to own their advertising if they want my cheddar.

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket parts? I don't want to have a mutt phone that has functionality issues.

ZDeuce2

Apr 26, 2011
Cincinnati
OnePlus 12
Just wanted to follow up regarding my cracked screen from the drop from my pocket to the linoleum laundry room floor. Phone was sent in to LG for diagnosis and they showed great service by quickly responding back (4 days from sending the phone from Idaho to Texas). Unfortunately I don't think they did too much analysis as their diagnosis was a canned response that said "the malfunction was caused by physical damage or water/liquid damage which is not covered under warranty."

It wasn't a malfunction. I dropped it from pocket level and the screen splintered. From all of the advertising and 3rd party drop test videos I've seen, when properly built the phone withstands WAY more than one 3 foot drop. But whatever. I acknowledge it was my butterfingers that made the drop.

At any rate, my dilemma is do I pay the $146/$153 for the repair/repair and refurbish charge or do I DIY with the digitizer I ordered from a 3rd party? I know going forward that unfortunately this will be the last LG I own. With so many other options from Moto, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, etc companies need to own their advertising if they want my cheddar.

Anyone have any experience with aftermarket parts? I don't want to have a mutt phone that has functionality issues.
Just wanted to say that, Samsung, and Motorola are the same way. Prior to buying this phone, my nexus6 was lying, in an Otterbox, with a tempered glass screen protector, on my truck console. I called my wife on my way home, screen was fine, set it down, drove about four miles, picked it up when I got home and the screen was split with one crack, from the top left to the bottom right corner... Nothing touched it the whole way home, and with the Otterbox, the screen doesn't touch the padded console lid anyway. Needless to say, t-mobile's insurance company, Assurant, is worthless... 12 dollars a month for insurance, and 175 to have it fixed. Called Motorola, they'll fix it for the exact same price...? So needless to say, bought my v10 so I have a phone till I fix the nex myself, dropped all the insurance, on all my plans, (4 lines $48 less a month) and covered them for $20 a month on square trade, with a he'll of a lot cheaper deductible. Sorry for the long winded response, but until a manufacturer can guarantee screens won't break (new moto?) all companies will treat you like this...

helichrysum

Jan 1, 2016
Just wanted to say that, Samsung, and Motorola are the same way. Prior to buying this phone, my nexus6 was lying, in an Otterbox, with a tempered glass screen protector, on my truck console. I called my wife on my way home, screen was fine, set it down, drove about four miles, picked it up when I got home and the screen was split with one crack, from the top left to the bottom right corner... Nothing touched it the whole way home, and with the Otterbox, the screen doesn't touch the padded console lid anyway. Needless to say, t-mobile's insurance company, Assurant, is worthless... 12 dollars a month for insurance, and 175 to have it fixed. Called Motorola, they'll fix it for the exact same price...? So needless to say, bought my v10 so I have a phone till I fix the nex myself, dropped all the insurance, on all my plans, (4 lines $48 less a month) and covered them for $20 a month on square trade, with a he'll of a lot cheaper deductible. Sorry for the long winded response, but until a manufacturer can guarantee screens won't break (new moto?) all companies will treat you like this...

That's insane. See as business owner, I completely get and understand company policies. But I also understand that inevitably there are exceptions to the policies. Like when you drive home with your phone in an otter box in your console only to find the screen cracked. Or when you have a "military grade drop test" phone that falls 3 feet and splinters the screen like in my case. Clearly my device wasn't built with the same standards or tolerances as those shown in all the drop test videos, so as an exception, step up and fix the device. When we make 250 sandwiches and one person calls in and data the bread was a little dry, I'm refunding him and buying his next meal no questions asked. I don't care if nobody else complained about the bread, you take care of the exception.

I get that mobile devices aren't sandwiches, but the principle holds true. But I guess if every company is doing the same thing, nobody needs to step up.

MO3iusONE

Oct 16, 2009
That's insane. See as business owner, I completely get and understand company policies. But I also understand that inevitably there are exceptions to the policies. Like when you drive home with your phone in an otter box in your console only to find the screen cracked. Or when you have a "military grade drop test" phone that falls 3 feet and splinters the screen like in my case. Clearly my device wasn't built with the same standards or tolerances as those shown in all the drop test videos, so as an exception, step up and fix the device. When we make 250 sandwiches and one person calls in and data the bread was a little dry, I'm refunding him and buying his next meal no questions asked. I don't care if nobody else complained about the bread, you take care of the exception.

I get that mobile devices aren't sandwiches, but the principle holds true. But I guess if every company is doing the same thing, nobody needs to step up.
I think the problem is that there's no way to prove that he dropped that phone only from a couple of feet or that he had a heavy duty case on it.

If companies were replacing screens under warranty every time someone broke their, they'd be out of business.

I had bought a warranty for 70 bucks through Sony for my z3 phone and had it replaced when the screen cracked. Wish LG offered a similar warranty for this phone.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

helichrysum

Jan 1, 2016
I think the problem is that there's no way to prove that he dropped that phone only from a couple of feet or that he had a heavy duty case on it.

If companies were replacing screens under warranty every time someone broke their, they'd be out of business.

I had bought a warranty for 70 bucks through Sony for my z3 phone and had it replaced when the screen cracked. Wish LG offered a similar warranty for this phone.

I agree entirely with your premise, despite the fact that I believe that most people are honest and don't try and unnecessarily hose companies. However, in my case, what's the point in them "examining" the device to determine if it's a defect or was caused by me if they really don't even look? My V10 was less than a week old and didn't have even the slightest nick or flaw anywhere on the phone or around the edges. I feel like if they truly inspected it they could actually be able to determine if it was caused by the actual drop, excessive dropping, OR a build quality/construction problem. Given that mine looks brand new apart from the splintered screen maybe they conclude that it's a build issue. Maybe someone else sends in theirs and there are scratches, dings, and nicks around the outside and they conclude that the phone was probably dropped multiple times. Am I making sense?

jbraft

Nov 7, 2015
Palo Alto
Yeah, in the past just did a monthly warranty extension with Verizon. When my wife and I upgraded I looked at what was offered and reviews for Assurance. I got her Apple Care+ for her iPhone, and went Square Trade for my V10.

Reactions: ZDeuce2

LBJM

Feb 3, 2011
This is why I use tempered glass screen protectors, I'd rather break the screen protector than damage the glass on the phone a $10-20 expense vs $150-$300 depending on the route you take to fix the phone glass. I've replaced the damaged glass smartphones in most cases the glass is attached with UV loca to the screen and if you can manage to separate the glass from the screen without damaging it you can pay only about $25 for new glass off of ebay, but I assure you it is not an EASY thing to do for a novice. Keep in mind if you pay the $8-9 a month for the phone insurance you are basically wasting $192-$216 over two years if you don't use it. [/rant :D]

Your best bet is to replace the part yourself. You can buy what you need off of Ebay. If you've never replaced the screen with the digitizer before You NEED to watch videos on youtube and read anything on ifixit for the tools you might need to buy to disassemble the phone. You are lucky right now prices start at $83 and go up, but make sure you buy the correct model for YOUR phone screen with digitizer can be different between phone model from different carriers.. And if you are uncomfortable doing this yourself buy the part and try to find a local shop(usually a third party cell phone shop) that will do the work for you. Here's an ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cell-Phone-....html?_from=R40&_nkw=lg+v10+digitizer&_sop=15

Last edited:
Reactions: SaintlySins

helichrysum

Jan 1, 2016
This is why I use tempered glass screen protectors, I'd rather break the screen protector than damage the glass on the phone a $10-20 expense vs $150-$300 depending on the route you take to fix the phone glass. I've replaced the damaged glass smartphones in most cases the glass is attached with UV loca to the screen and if you can manage to separate the glass from the screen without damaging it you can pay only about $25 for new glass off of ebay, but I assure you it is not an EASY thing to do for a novice. Keep in mind if you pay the $8-9 a month for the phone insurance you are basically wasting $192-$216 over two years if you don't use it. [/rant :D]

Your best bet is to replace the part yourself. You can buy what you need off of Ebay. If you've never replaced the screen with the digitizer before You NEED to watch videos on youtube and read anything on ifixit for the tools you might need to buy to disassemble the phone. You are lucky right now prices start at $83 and go up, but make sure you buy the correct model for YOUR phone screen with digitizer can be different between phone model from different carriers.. And if you are uncomfortable doing this yourself buy the part and try to find a local shop(usually a third party cell phone shop) that will do the work for you. Here's an ebay link

I purchased the digitizer but in the end I had LG do the repair because they would warranty it. I didn't want to risk dorking up a $650 device. I probably should have tried as it would be nice to have that skill. Maybe I'll drop the phone next week and then I'll get to do it ha ha. Definitely going to throw a screen protector on...especially given that I'm convinced mine was poorly assembled in the first place causing it to shatter after one small drop.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I agree entirely with your premise, despite the fact that I believe that most people are honest and don't try and unnecessarily hose companies. However, in my case, what's the point in them "examining" the device to determine if it's a defect or was caused by me if they really don't even look? My V10 was less than a week old and didn't have even the slightest nick or flaw anywhere on the phone or around the edges. I feel like if they truly inspected it they could actually be able to determine if it was caused by the actual drop, excessive dropping, OR a build quality/construction problem. Given that mine looks brand new apart from the splintered screen maybe they conclude that it's a build issue. Maybe someone else sends in theirs and there are scratches, dings, and nicks around the outside and they conclude that the phone was probably dropped multiple times. Am I making sense?
    Yeah, in the past just did a monthly warranty extension with Verizon. When my wife and I upgraded I looked at what was offered and reviews for Assurance. I got her Apple Care+ for her iPhone, and went Square Trade for my V10.
    And that's why LG has fine print while they make their durability claims.