LG G4 dissapointed with camera :(

Search This thread

Jaxione

Aug 28, 2013
Hi!

I bought Lg G4 very much for its camera, but my Nexus 6 still takes better pictures...........

First pic is from g4 and second is from Nexus 6. G4 is picking up sunlight and making pictures to bright......very dissapointed.

Attachments

• 20160226_150856_HDR.jpg
    20160226_150856_HDR.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 1,563
  • IMG_20160226_150536.jpg
    IMG_20160226_150536.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 1,562

milan187

Apr 15, 2015
They look about the same to me. Try some different shots I guess.
I am quite impressed with G4 camera, beats the S6 edge and Priv we have.

Jaxione

Aug 28, 2013
They look about the same to me. Try some different shots I guess.
I am quite impressed with G4 camera, beats the S6 edge and Priv we have.

You can see the sunbeam on the back of the chair on the G4.

Here is two other examples. First one from Nexus 6, second one from G4. Nexus 6 pic is much more vivid and clear, LG G4 is to bright and catches all sunlight on the picture,

Attachments

• IMG_20160226_151745.jpg
    IMG_20160226_151745.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 20160226_151738.jpg
    20160226_151738.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,240

milan187

Apr 15, 2015
Ohh yah I see it there. Have you tried dark shots with out sun light.
I don't have a Nexus 6 to compare but I do wonder if maybe you got a bad camera on a G4 (if that is possible).
Are you on the latest version too, M?

It may make a difference where you touch to focus too.

Cloudstrife

May 6, 2011
You can see the sunbeam on the back of the chair on the G4.

Here is two other examples. First one from Nexus 6, second one from G4. Nexus 6 pic is much more vivid and clear, LG G4 is to bright and catches all sunlight on the picture,

This is just different focus points. G4 has laser focus and probably focuses on another area. Indoor pictures are crap anyway especially when shot against bright windows.

Jaxione

Aug 28, 2013
Ohh yah I see it there. Have you tried dark shots with out sun light.
I don't have a Nexus 6 to compare but I do wonder if maybe you got a bad camera on a G4 (if that is possible).
Are you on the latest version too, M?

It may make a difference where you touch to focus too.

Yes i am on Marshmallow. Still picks up every sunbeam there is, doesent matter where I focus. Here is another example. The sunbeam looks like a white mark across the picture, my Nexus 6 does not pick up that at all

Attachments

• 20160226_151145_HDR.jpg
    20160226_151145_HDR.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 734

BobbyHenceMcGee

Oct 3, 2010
Australia
You have full manual controls with RAW capability. Regardless of how auto works, tweaking manual settings will produce far better shots than the Nexus 6 would ever be capable of producing.
Now for the helpful less "fan boy sounding" response: LG tend to blow out highlights in the background to produce a proper exposure for the main subject.
Even the G5 looks like this will be the case, as sampled here
Personally, I think Samsung nailed the auto camera experience with the S6 generation phones. LG have more capability, but it's lessened by the fact most users are not photographers.
Kind of looking forward to the S7 for this reason, it brings back all the features I couldn't tolerate losing with the S6 and enhances the camera even more.

To fix your problem (particularly in environments like your photos)
Turn the brightness up to about 80% with auto brightness disabled
Switch to manual in the camera
Keep everything auto, but fiddle with ISO and exposure time.
Keep the ISO as low as possible while making sure you can take a photo without motion blur from hand shakes (1/30 is as slow as I go usually)
When it looks right on screen, take the shot.
If in doubt and you're feeling technogically empowered, enable RAW.
Happy snapping :)

kolembo

Nov 2, 2012
Your shooting scene is a difficult one. Play with Manual. The G4 camera is plain excellent. Ecstatic even.

KoRoZIV

Aug 27, 2010
Ploiesti
If you want to record a video you are doomed, no manual mode there. Enjoy massive overexposure and over saturated colors. And the retarded ois of course...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Jaxione

Aug 28, 2013
Thanks all for your replies. Its going back. I want a phone with a camera who can take ok pictures without having to fiddle with manual settings. I am no photographer and have no interest in changing settings for every scenario.

cem_jimmy

Mar 6, 2014
İ thing ur LG g4's camera has some problem cause i also used h815 and right now h818p mine was not like that bad u can look my photo's from the link
Edit I'm not photographer also it's really easy to learn manual settings just try but automatic also not bad

https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B0YMxD-WRGRoVnNudThXN01Fcms/edit

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Night shots are amazing. I took this one without flash in Netherlands. The best thing is it was with auto mode. In my opinion better camera than any other smarts.
http://i.imgur.com/lO18AzQ.jpg

Good shot is it automatic or Manuel if Manuel than if u was try to ISO 50 and 4second exposure u can get gread pics u can also check my photos if u want

Last edited:

zekerijah

Apr 6, 2010
Maybe you (OP) are looking at it from a wrong angle. I think the G4 camera just records what is sees. It's not its fault that there are sun rays. On the other hand, the N6 doesn't capture what there really is. Besides, the net is full of tutorials how to catch sunbeams. With G4 you get it out of the box. :)

Reactions: Ramsey

gerhard_wa

Dec 6, 2010
This must be a problem with dirt on the lens or the protective glass, nothing to do with the camera, the camera is awesome. Could even be on the inside so it might be hard to remove without disassembling the phone.

Reactions: cem_jimmy

daglesj

Jul 23, 2010
If you want to record a video you are doomed, no manual mode there. Enjoy massive overexposure and over saturated colors. And the retarded ois of course...

Yeah the OIS is frankly terrible. I don't take any video with my G4 because of it.

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali

I just own the G4 and I have to say hat video quality exposure and all that stuff its the best. maybe you need to learn a bit on how to use a proper camera.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You have full manual controls with RAW capability. Regardless of how auto works, tweaking manual settings will produce far better shots than the Nexus 6 would ever be capable of producing.
    Now for the helpful less "fan boy sounding" response: LG tend to blow out highlights in the background to produce a proper exposure for the main subject.
    Even the G5 looks like this will be the case, as sampled here
    Personally, I think Samsung nailed the auto camera experience with the S6 generation phones. LG have more capability, but it's lessened by the fact most users are not photographers.
    Kind of looking forward to the S7 for this reason, it brings back all the features I couldn't tolerate losing with the S6 and enhances the camera even more.

To fix your problem (particularly in environments like your photos)
    Turn the brightness up to about 80% with auto brightness disabled
    Switch to manual in the camera
    Keep everything auto, but fiddle with ISO and exposure time.
    Keep the ISO as low as possible while making sure you can take a photo without motion blur from hand shakes (1/30 is as slow as I go usually)
    When it looks right on screen, take the shot.
    If in doubt and you're feeling technogically empowered, enable RAW.
    Happy snapping :)
    At this point of time, most smart phone takes decent photo. It usually boils down to the person taking the photo

Night shots are amazing. I took this one without flash in Netherlands. The best thing is it was with auto mode. In my opinion better camera than any other smarts.
    http://i.imgur.com/lO18AzQ.jpg
    I went through my gallery to check indoor pictures. Definitely a faulty unit/optics/glass you have there, did not notice the same effect here.
    Maybe you (OP) are looking at it from a wrong angle. I think the G4 camera just records what is sees. It's not its fault that there are sun rays. On the other hand, the N6 doesn't capture what there really is. Besides, the net is full of tutorials how to catch sunbeams. With G4 you get it out of the box. :)