Android N Preview npc56p (flashable & image with no encryption and dm verification)

Search This thread

tomzefi

ha, I don't even know where to begin :eek:

flashing radios is going to be different for every single person, even if on the same provider. radios could improve things, or make them worse. but it can be that for one person it improved everything, and for another it made things worse. it all depends on the towers around you. and the towers themselves might differ as well BTW. no two people are going to be in the same location at all hours of the day, using the same towers, from the same location. because of that, our signal qualities all vary, regardless. anyways, I flashed the new radio, and around my home my signal quality and data speeds improved, very slightly. around my work, its much better. oh, and WiFi calling works for me on any radio, regardless. and volte has worked perfectly on any radio, since tmobile started it up. so, I kinda agree with what you are disagreeing with.. it is your problem. and there's probably a solution to it as well. but you won't find it, because you are blaming and not looking to solve the issue. I've had issues right after flashing a new radio before, and reflashing the radio has always fixed it.

I have to agree. I am on T-Mobile n preview, no root though, and I get volte. I can hear and the HD symbol pops up too. I will get a screenie next time. I do not use wifi calling so I don't no about that.

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
I guess the million dollar question is if you have a TWRP Backup of both N and MM, can you freely flash back and fourth between the two at will, or is the new N bootloader going to cause issues

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
Thats great news.. I was using Beans rom on MM which as expected has been dead nuts reliable with zero issues whatsoever, its nice to know I can flip back whenever I want.

So far the N preview has been a decent experience, and while i think it may be "daily drivable" - it certainly comes with its own set of frustrations, mainly in the form of random hangs and extreme latency in the UI intermittently

bond32

Jun 26, 2010
Franklin
I had flashed back to an old backup but after seeing responses I thought I would give it another try.

To fix the calls issue, after I got it all set up I went to cellular networks and set it to CDMA/LTE. It then showed "no Sim card" even after I toggled airplane mode. Then after a reboot it worked like it should and I was able to make and receive calls.

So perhaps najoor was correct, the radio tends to try to link to a different signal type. I'm ignorant with things like this though...

dead_ohio_sky

Feb 23, 2011
I had that problem when using Viper. Now that I know other people are having the same problem are you using Viper as well? Otherwise it could be a bigger problem.

This happened to me when using Viper as well. I re-flashed system to remove it and I could make calls again.

I reflashed with version 5.0 from this thread, and it seems like the calling issue has been resolved for me (as well as having a working ViPER installation).
http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/themes-apps/viper4android-t2952137

Last edited:

Joe92T

Aug 19, 2009
New Hampshire
So the kernal included in the OP has SELinux set to Enforcing... I bet thats why Titanium Backup and Adaway do not work even though we have R/W access to system using file explorers... Need to get a permissive kernal

BaumerS4

Oct 18, 2012
Flashed this earlier today and my phone gets hung up on the activating cellular service screen. Even if I bypass it and try to do it later through settings, it never activates. I'm on Sprint, in case that matters...

kidhudi

Feb 1, 2011
Jackson
thats what i did and many others. good luck

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

ps... make sure you have at least twrp 3.0.0.0 or 3.0.0.1

Reactions: MikeCriggs

jr313

all working. anybody tried installing supersu 2.70 on this ?

Yes I'm using 2.70 with Gerard's stock N kernel with no problems at all. I am encrypted and using his encrypted kernel as well if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• 1458080829067.jpg
    1458080829067.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 546
  • 1458080839763.jpg
    1458080839763.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android N Preview npc56p (flashable & image with no encryption and dm verification)

This thread is for the first Android N Preview.
    For Android N Preview 2 see: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/android-n-preview-2-npc91k-flashable-t3358335
    For Android N Preview 3 see: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/android-n-preview-3-beta-npd35k-t3381845
    For Android N Preview 4 see: http://xdaforums.com/nexus-6/general/android-n-preview-4-beta-npd56n-t3399473
    ** DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DEVELOPER. I DO THIS AS A HOBBY AND SHARE MY FINDINGS IN CASE SOMEONE ELSE FINDS THEM USEFUL. **
    ** THIS WORKED ON MY DEVICE BUT IT MAY NOT WORK ON YOURS. APPLY AT YOUR OWN RISK **​
    ** The following are instruction for installing Android N Preview image released by Google on 3/9/2016. After the installation you will have TWRP recovery 3.0.0-1 and the data partition will be erased and unencrypted if you use method 2, which means you will have ~ 3GB more space and ~ 10 seconds faster boot speed **​
    Always backup your data before flashing something a total stranger gives you!

Method 1: Flash update through TWRP recovery
    1- You need to have TWRP installed on your phone.
    2- Download this flashable zip.
    3- Copy to the phone internal storage and flash via recovery.
    4- Reboot. Your data should still be intact and your OS is upgraded to N. If your internal storage is unencrypted before flashing it remains unencrypted. Your TWRP is also upgraded to 3.0.0-1.

Method 2: Flash update using a computer
    1- ALL of your data including the internal storage will be lost so make a backup. (If you know what you are doing and you are coming from unencrypted Marshmallow you can modify the instructions to not lose data but I won't help you with that).
    2- Download this file. Note that it is NOT a flashable zip.
    3- Unzip into a folder of your choice on your PC.
    4- Open a command window (cmd) and cd to this directory. then run the following:

Code:
    flash-all
    5- Wait until prompted, then press key to reboot the phone.
    6- Your data is wiped and your OS is upgraded to N with unencrypted internal storage. Your TWRP is also upgraded to 3.0.0-1.

Technical details: this is a repacking of the Google image with a modified Kernel and removed userdata and recovery images. Everything else is stock.

Problem downloading from Mega on a mobile browser? Change the page setting to "Request desktop site".

About root
    To obtain root after installing this update you should flash SuperSU 2.70 (or higher) in recovery. Get it from here: http://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/wip-android-n-preview-t3335726. Note that at least at the moment (as of SuperSU 2.70) the root method is a hack solution which requires a lot of further refinement. Many programs are still unable to acquire root and mount the system partition for R/W. However, it is possible to install the android terminal emulator, do an su, mount /system as rw, and do all the modifications within the terminal emulator. Of course you can always use TWRP to modify the system, for which you don't even need to root the device.
    I just posted a flashable zip for this Preview in the OP. It is tested for upgrading mmb29q to N and it worked fine, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    It would be nice moving forward if Google just made SuperSU/root part of their factory image under developer options. So once you enable developer option, there's a little toggle next to OEM unlock that says "root/SuperSU".

Would make life much easier.
    so can we flash this via twrp?

It literally says right next to the link, "Note that it is NOT a flashable zip."
    Can't flash system.IMG through twrp...

update your twrp, as of version 3.0.0.1 you can.