Kindle Fire HD (3rd Generation) Bootloader Unlock and TWRP

Search This thread

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
I'll try and explain. Already did the adb command. I unzipped the exploit to its own folder on my desktop. Ran the commands from there.
PS. I am doing this from memory, I can confirm when I get home. Thanks

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
@ sd, Did it multiple times and no luck. i even re downloaded the files and attempted it again. So, there is a folder on my desktop called EXPLOIT with the files contained in it. Inside is also a folder with another file. I am trying.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
@ sd, Did it multiple times and no luck. i even re downloaded the files and attempted it again. So, there is a folder on my desktop called EXPLOIT with the files contained in it. Inside is also a folder with another file. I am trying.

but what happens?

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

details...

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
@sd, the same thing as above(pic.), the screen flashes orange quickly, then it goes back to the FASTBOOT screen.

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
@sd, the screen shot is exactly what happens when I use the FASTBOOT commands as shown in the post. I cut the code, and paste into my cmd prompt screen. Thanks!

spudowiar

Dec 7, 2013
spudowiar.me
@sd, the screen shot is exactly what happens when I use the FASTBOOT commands as shown in the post. I cut the code, and paste into my cmd prompt screen. Thanks!

@sandman512 you need to be in the folder where you extracted the exploit files when you run the command, you were not. You said you extracted the files to `C:\Users\Sandy\Desktop\EXPLOIT` but you were running the commands from `C:\Users\Sandy`

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
@sandman512 you need to be in the folder where you extracted the exploit files when you run the command, you were not. You said you extracted the files to `C:\Users\Sandy\Desktop\EXPLOIT` but you were running the commands from `C:\Users\Sandy`

@Spud, my apologies, I was literally copying and pasting the exact code.
If you wouldn't mind, what exact commands would I use? Thanks!
PS: Do I run all the commands at once?

ggow

Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2014

Before running the commands you need to change directory to your 'EXPLOIT' folder.

Code:
cd C:\Users\Sandy\Desktop\EXPLOIT

when you come to flash the hijack.img you will also need to change directory or specify the path to EXPLOIT/exploit folder

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
you need to change directory (cd) to
C:\Users\Sandy\Desktop\EXPLOIT
you can run the first batch all at once

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Labs

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007

Attachments

• 1459295496307.jpg
    1459295496307.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 104

sandman512

Nov 12, 2007
Victory is ours! Thanks to everyone who assisted along the way.
Now, which GAPPS to flash!
THANKS!!!!

Last edited:

jachol

Apr 23, 2012
NW England
CM12 USB problem ???

Hi all, I've installed CM12 2 or 3 times, and on each occasion the tablet is completely unrecognised in windows 7 via USB ( No problem with the rooted Fire OS 4.5.5.1),

but with CM12 installed, there's no characteristic USB notification connection sound, and the tablet doesn't show in Device Manager either.

I only have the 8GB version, so it's use is limited to downloading and reading my morning newspaper + Streaming online video, CM 12 seems pretty good, but

Lack of ability for a USB connection is a problem for me. Ideas anyone please ?. ... J

SuccubusInc

Dec 2, 2015
Temecula
LG Wing
Hi all, I've installed CM12 2 or 3 times, and on each occasion the tablet is completely unrecognised in windows 7 via USB ( No problem with the rooted Fire OS 4.5.5.1),

but with CM12 installed, there's no characteristic USB notification connection sound, and the tablet doesn't show in Device Manager either.

I only have the 8GB version, so it's use is limited to downloading and reading my morning newspaper + Streaming online video, CM 12 seems pretty good, but

Lack of ability for a USB connection is a problem for me. Ideas anyone please ?. ... J

Make sure USB connection mode on the Kindle is set to MTP, and not charging only. CM12 defaults to charging only. I had the same issue when I test ran the alpha build.

Reactions: jachol

jachol

Apr 23, 2012
NW England
Make sure USB connection mode on the Kindle is set to MTP, and not charging only. CM12 defaults to charging only. I had the same issue when I test ran the alpha build.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. ... Not absolutely sure, but I do think I would have checked that, I'm familiar with that option.
I'm presently back on rooted Fire OS4.5.5.1. I will be trying CM12 again so will keep that in mind to be sure. .. J.
EDIT:- WHOA, what am I thinking --- I've already said the tablet is completely unrecognised (no kerplunk sound when you plug-in USB), so the option to switch from charge to MTP is never there. I've swapped cables too --- makes no difference. . J

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi, Thanks for the reply. ... Not absolutely sure, but I do think I would have checked that, I'm familiar with that option.
I'm presently back on rooted Fire OS4.5.5.1. I will be trying CM12 again so will keep that in mind to be sure. .. J.
EDIT:- WHOA, what am I thinking --- I've already said the tablet is completely unrecognised (no kerplunk sound when you plug-in USB), so the option to switch from charge to MTP is never there. I've swapped cables too --- makes no difference. . J

option should be available on tablet even though not connected

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include <std/disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will amputate it with
     * a piece of rusty metal. Unless it kills your cat, in which case I shall apologise
     * for your loss.
     */
    This is for the 2013 Kindle Fire HD (3rd Generation) "soho" or KFSOWI. Please follow the instructions below very carefully. These instructions WILL change, ensure you keep up to date.

First, download and extract the attachment (exploit.zip) into a folder. Then you need to download Fire OS 4.5.5.1 and SuperSU into that folder. Check the MD5 sums!

Although not recommended, if your Fire is rooted, you can enter fastboot mode without a fastboot cable. Using a fastboot cable covers you against most cases of bricking your device. Not using one increases the likelihood.

To use this totally unsupported, unsafe method of accessing fastboot mode, run

Code:
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot bs=1 count=1 seek=848"
    adb reboot

Make sure you have the latest version of adb and fastboot and that you have installed drivers for the Fire (if you run an inferior operating system). Boot into Fire OS and ensure you have a good charge on the device. Connect the device with a fastboot cable and enter fastboot mode.

Run

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem format
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot hijack.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system system.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 continue
    Now wait for the Amazon logo with the orange underline and run

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot recovery.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 oem format
    fastboot -i 0x1949 continue
    Now wait for TWRP to load up and go into Advanced -> ADB Sideload and tick the two boxes (Wipe Dalvik Cache and Wipe Cache) then swipe the slider (Swipe to Start Sideload). Return to your terminal and run (changing the filename, if necessary)

Code:
    adb sideload [B]update-kindle-11.4.5.5_user_455002120.bin[/B]
    Now wait for TWRP to finish flashing and press Back then go into ADB Sideload and swipe the slider (Swipe to Start Sideload). Return to your terminal and run (changing the filename, if necessary)

Code:
    adb sideload [B]UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip[/B]
    If you want to, you can download the Google Apps and flash them in a similar manner. Google Apps will cause issues with Fire OS if you perform a factory reset! You have been warned.

Now wait for TWRP to finish flashing, remove the fastboot cable and press Reboot System. When the device has booted, reinsert the cable and run

Code:
    adb push recovery.img /sdcard/recovery.img
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery"
    adb push exploit.img /sdcard/exploit.img
    adb shell su -c "dd if=/sdcard/exploit.img of=/dev/block/platform/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/exploit"
    adb shell rm /sdcard/recovery.img /sdcard/exploit.img

To boot into recovery, power off the device and hold the volume button [ - ] then push the power button (you may need to do this more than once). When the Amazon logo appears, release the volume button.

Please could any testers report back with results, and which model they have (pictures of it running TWRP would be nice). If you have any problems, also include your entire terminal session and any errors TWRP gives when flashing. You shan't recieve help otherwise. If you are inexperienced, please wait for other testers to try this method.

Please refrain from mirroring any of the files, just link back to this post.

ROM Developers: you need to add boot.img from the files to the beginning of your ROM's boot.img

XDA:DevDB Information
    Kindle Fire HD (3rd Generation) Bootloader Unlock and TWRP, Tool/Utility for the Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD

Contributors
    spudowiar

Version Information

Created 2015-12-13
    Last Updated 2016-01-01
    The unlock is released, go to the first post to find out how to install!
    I had to not install gapps at first. Installed after running system a few times and then flashed gapps from the sd with TWRP and dl youtube. Both the play store and youtube work fine so far. I didn't try any other gapps yet.

Yeah, I'll have to do some trial and error but I'll focus on porting CM.