[Opinion] Why so many complaints?

Search This thread

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the G5 is catching a lot crap for almost no reason at all... I've had mine for 1 week now, and no major issues to speak of. It functions as it should, build quality is nearly perfect, and it just works... As the title states, this is all my opinion, so let me break some things down...

Screen bleed: This is bound to happen with most all LCD devices. Even your LCD television will have this issue if the room and screen are dark enough. Some of you that have posted pictures do in fact have a relevant reason for return as it is pretty bad. But also, some of you are just being entirely too picky.

AUX audio noise: This device is native 24bit lossless at 192kHz... MOST of the "cheap" aux cables you buy at the store just don't have the quality wiring inside that you need for this device, and will give you the audio hiss. You're gonna want something that is Audiophile grade (this just simply means high quality), with a thicker wire, better connectors, etc. The basic run of the mill cables just aren't gonna cut it with this device. I ended up going with THIS cable, and my hiss went away. (Your results may vary)

The chin gap: This is directly related to how the battery clips in. The connectors inside the phone are spring loaded and very slightly push back against the battery. On top of that, they are there are two parts that are simply being "snapped" together, so there is bound to be a gap. Again, I too have this "issue" on my phone, but it is so minor that it doesn't really matter. (It's also completely hidden by my case now too) I wouldn't say this is a lack of QC, but rather just certain individuals wanting perfection from a non-perfect world. It's just not gonna happen. An idea for LG, may be to put 2 very small rare earth magnets on either end of the chin module to help combat the spring push from inside the phone?

The clicky power button: Really people? It's a click style power button to begin with. While I will agree the button cap (the part we actually see) could be a bit better than what it is, why is this even a quality complaint? Those of you that are shaking your phone in a silent room and "hearing" the button move are probably mistaken. While the button does have minuscule movement to it, what you are actually hearing is the OIS sensor moving. It's supposed to if you shake the phone.

TL;DR: Complaints are fine if they are legitimate. But most of these are not. It's nothing more than a case of people being far too finicky over the build of a launch device. One can ALWAYS expect to run into SOMETHING they don't like about a first launch device, but should not haze the device to the point of making it potentially fail. If you want things fixed, yes report them, but also look into solutions. Don't haze the product to the point that it scares others away from an otherwise beautifully designed and wonderful product.

Your opinions are always welcome, so let's keep this thread mature if you post. And thank you for reading mine.

toefurkey

Apr 11, 2016
Those of you that are shaking your phone in a silent room and "hearing" the button move are probably mistaken. While the button does have minuscule movement to it, what you are actually hearing is the OIS sensor moving. It's supposed to if you shake the phone..

I have to nitpick here (sorry!). If you lightly hold the button still as you shake the device, there is no noticeable sound. Yet there is certainly a sound from the shaken button and although I am not too familiar with the OIS sensor (I think it has something to do with correcting shaky hands like mine ruining photos?), I am quite sure it is not located in the power button.

However, I cannot yet say I have any complaints about the phone. The button does not actually bother me at all, nor do any of the other complaints I have read here or otherwise. I really think the G5 is an exceptional, well crafted device and I love it! :good:

mrenzo

Feb 11, 2009
Had mine for a few days now and I have none of these so called issues. I'm getting really bored of all the comments in the g5 forum, no other forum on this site has to deal with all these comparisons. I don't understand why people that don't even have the phone come here on a daily basis, you prefer the s7 then go, if your holding out for etc m10 then leave. I personally love mine. The only issue I have with this phone at the moment is this forum, you come here for help and all you get it BS.

Jammin72

Jul 27, 2012
Durham
I'm not sure what the deal is either. The media seems to be running with the "this phone is a mess" story for whatever reason. Could the phone use some more refinement? Can they fix some manufacturing and QC issues? Sure, but it seems they're throwing out a really great combination of hardware and features for no good reason that I can determine. Perhaps the preview models were noticeably worse than production? It's also seems to be random things... Nexus 6P has large sensor bar on back, gloss over it. LG G5 has large sensor bar on back, "goodness the design is terrible". It's just weird. I'm also of the opinion that the rough chamfer is intentional for grip, not a QC issue. Would be interesting to hear LG"s take on that just like their explanation of the microdized finish which allowed them to get rid of the antenna bars. People keep using terms like half baked or not thought out but when you hear from the design team it sounds like that isn't close to being the truth. I can get why some folks might not agree with their choices but I'm not sure about the overall panning that seems to be going on. They're using their own patented aluminum for the phone for goodness' sake, who else is developing their own proprietary materials? I dunno, I guess I'm just in the minority on this one for whatever reason.

bhyurf

Dec 4, 2011
Had mine for a few days now and I have none of these so called issues. I'm getting really bored of all the comments in the g5 forum, no other forum on this site has to deal with all these comparisons. I don't understand why people that don't even have the phone come here on a daily basis, you prefer the s7 then go, if your holding out for etc m10 then leave. I personally love mine. The only issue I have with this phone at the moment is this forum, you come here for help and all you get it BS.

Right? You'd think you were on xda-fashionistas with all the whining about how the phone looks/feels compared to x, y, or z. I thought this forum was supposed to be about development and had a technical lean, but it seems like more than half the people here are either trying to start arguments about why they prefer the S7 or complaining about how their 9th trade-in phone has a sub-millimeter gap with the removable module.

Note: This is not an invitation for someone to come in and defend themselves about why they're upset about the primer/paint or the unnoticeable screen bleed. I bought a hand-held computer, not a purse. I came to this forum to talk about the phone functionality, not listen to people tell me that the phone I bought is inferior because of something that has nothing to do with how the phone functions.

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
Note: This is not an invitation for someone to come in and defend themselves about why they're upset about the primer/paint or the unnoticeable screen bleed. I bought a hand-held computer, not a purse. I came to this forum to talk about the phone functionality, not listen to people tell me that the phone I bought is inferior because of something that has nothing to do with how the phone functions.

Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: toefurkey

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
I have to nitpick here (sorry!). If you lightly hold the button still as you shake the device, there is no noticeable sound. Yet there is certainly a sound from the shaken button and although I am not too familiar with the OIS sensor (I think it has something to do with correcting shaky hands like mine ruining photos?), I am quite sure it is not located in the power button.

Sorry to double post... But yes, you are correct. Just tested this on mine. I still have to say tho... It's not as big a deal as many are making it out to be.

Reactions: toefurkey

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I just got my pink G5 yesterday, was at the shop and been through 3 units, first one had the silver line missing underneath the release hatch or scratched off, unit 2 soft white color burn on the screen when all color showing using a test app, on the unit 3, found a small dint just right at the edge between the main unit and battery adapter, but kept it, and didn't care about it as it isn't really noticable unless you really look close, it also has the light bleed when I checked this in a dark room, I have 14 days to return it, if i decide to, but yeh they all have minor problem, this isn't just LG, and i'm very picky but decide to keep the 3rd unit, it's solid built, works well and I really like it.

If people are have problems with their unit and can't accept it, exchange it or get a different phone, no one is forcing you to keep it.

Reactions: tribalartgod

scottricketts

May 21, 2010
I haven't had the gap issue and just went into the bathroom, no light bleed. Maybe there is a QC problem and I got a solid one? I'm not complaining. I know I'll have the monthly security update in six months while S7 people are still on June.

Reactions: tribalartgod

BR7fan

Jun 18, 2013
Sioux City, IA
I'm surprised that the complain threads are allowed to go on. It not only hurts the site,it hurts the company that made the phones. I think some of the writers that review these phones are abusing their power and becoming a bit reckless.

EDIT
Ive also noticed that a lot of complaints are coming from people with 20 post or less

Last edited:

snowlin

Sep 21, 2010
San Diego
same here, this phone is dope. had the g2 then the g4 now this and havent really been disappointed with any of them. got used to ux 5 pretty quick. not in any rush to root stock feels so smooth once set up. ability to disable the bloat apps is cool. wide angle camera is super cool and the fingerprint scanner is actually really fast idk why people keep mentioning it being slow in reviews.

Jonathan-H

Sep 27, 2014
The clicky power button is annoying, but i'm trying not to use it. The chin gap worries me when it comes to water. Mainly though, people are just too picky.

tribalartgod

May 12, 2010
Right here
The clicky power button is annoying, but i'm trying not to use it. The chin gap worries me when it comes to water. Mainly though, people are just too picky.

A bit of rain or a splash here and there probably won't be a concern, even with the design of this phone. There's a video out of someone putting it in a sink full of water for 2 minutes and it survives just fine. I would not advise taking it in the shower or pool tho.

Reactions: igotroot

Ixstala

Apr 17, 2016
I for one love my G5. Started with the G2, fell in love with the rear buttons, migrated briefly to the Nexus 5X (couldn't live without Knock features and rear buttons), and now to the G5.

The G5 is really an evolution of the Nexus 5X, they are almost identical in physical size, except the fingerprint scanner is a smaller diameter, which is the cause of the semi-flakiness. It's too easy to just mash your finger across the sensor and miss the portion that got 'enrolled'. This can be addressed by enrolling your finger multiple times to get a larger portion of your finger tip, I've also found that my phone case helps guide just the tip of your finger to the scanner which greatly increases reliability!

It seems the G5 has been held to a different review standard than other devices due to its modularity. Instead of reviewing the G5 on its own merits plus cool potential for modules, it has been mostly reviewed on the merits of its lack luster existing modules and the weak stock launcher missing an app drawer. If I reviewed a new laptop I wouldn't judge it based on the available accessories, that would be ridiculous! The device reviews should stand on their own, anything else is just a cherry on top.

I don't see anyone mentioning the great call quality, the fantastic signal strength, and hardly any mention of the IR blaster! That thing is so useful - you can change TV channels at the gym, in hospitals, or on your couch if you can't reach the remote. Plus we have USB-C, I can't tell you how great a reversible connector is - no more fumbling at night trying to plug in, got used to this on the NX5 and won't go back.

Here are the main gripes summarized so we can see how ridiculously picky these are -
  • Light bleed (I would never have even known if I hadn't downloaded a specific app to test this!)
  • Finger print scanner flaky (see above, this is a non-issue)
  • Build quality issues (no doubt these do exist in some form or another on every device! my phone is fine)
  • Missing app drawer (use a 3rd party launcher or Home 4.0 from smart world)
  • Aesthetic (do you use a case?)

By the way, if you boost the DPI of your screen through ADB the usage experience gets much better! Mine is set to 540.

Last edited:

PaulB007

Dec 31, 2008
I think people have been too hard on this phone too, honestly. I just got it today and am pleased I have no chin gap, screen bleed, ECT.

Coming from the "Lagaxy S6" that I got on release because they promised me that the battery and performance would be the best thing since Jesus walked the earth was an absolute lie. I have never owned a phone with more horrible screen on and stand by time in my entire life. It was smooth for the first couple weeks and the usual lag came back (their apologists will never admit it and claim its been fixed) as well as the horrible RAM management fiasco.

Oh my god, what a joy to have a speedy keyboard, a fast messaging app, a phone that actually doesn't chew endless percentage points off my battery with the screen off, and apps still being in memory after a few minutes, I am in heaven. Oh and the spare battery module is nice, as well as the IR blaster someone else mentioned above. I was going to get the HTC 10 but after AndroidCentrals guys kept saying the battery really wasn't special I knew what j needed to do.

Thank you LG, you saved me from a year of absolute hell.

Last edited:

cigman

Dec 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21+
I too think the complaints are a bit too much. G2 , G3, and now G5 user. Haven't found even one negative so far with the G5. Love it!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

PaulB007

Dec 31, 2008
I too think the complaints are a bit too much. G2 , G3, and now G5 user. Haven't found even one negative so far with the G5. Love it!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Yep, I have not had any of the app crashes, LED bleeding, major chin issues ect that others have mentioned. This has honestly been my best battery life phone since the Galaxy S2 FIVE YEARS AGO. That is insane and quite telling to me, I am glad LG got this right. This is the first LG phone I have ever owned and it makes me wish I had tried their other offerings in the past, I may have been much happier. Once I get my other battery I will slap it in after work at 100% and likely will never have to worry about running out of battery again. I hope LG keeps up this trend because there are definitely a lot of us here who appreciate them being one of the last major flagship carriers to offer this feature.

Speaking of removal battery, I remember how people were literally foaming at the mouth at the loss of such features in other flagships, yet LG listened to smartphone enthusiasts and gave them more options than most other manufacturers. They definitely deserve way more credit for giving the consumer options.

Reactions: cigman

kyogiro

Jan 20, 2009
Paris
I have never cared for a device's design and I'm not going to start now.

I do think the paint thingy is a good idea in order to hide the antenna lines but it seems to come off very easily, so a case would be mandatory.

Secondly, there are some QC issues across the board when it comes to the paint thingy, light bleeding out the screen, and a variable gap size where the module clips.

When you take into consideration that these days design is (almost) everything, hence the build quality, there's the rant about the G5. In all fairness, if similar issues would have arisen, Samsung or Apple would have also taken a beating.

That being said, even if I would receive a perfectly well built G5, I would still be semi disappointed :
- no camera improvement in low light situations (lights bleeding), although it is still one of the top performers
- no manual controls over filming while is was possible on the V10, why? It is clearly entirely possible since it seems to be a software development choice. I don't get it, LG says the G5 takes after the V10 but it lacks a native high quality DAC (the module is somewhat expensive and not available everywhere) and video manual controls
- this is a killer, only 32 gigs (same base storage since the G2 of old) of internal storage with no possibility to move apps the the SD card nor to convert the SD card into adoptable storage (though I would do it with ADB)

Even if it was possible natively to convert the SD card into adoptable storage, some apps like Spotify would then download everything directly to the small internal storage. I don't know why storage hasn't become a massive issue yet when you consider that OS (and skins like the LG UI), apps and photos aren't getting smaller anytime soon !

On the other hand, I love the secondary wide lens, but I fear it would be too much work to enjoy the G5 as it is. I am already juggling with different storage spaces with my G4 (internal, 128 gigs SD card, cloud and external (backups on my PC)). I need a lot of stuff offline since I'm travelling abroad quite a bit, so streaming content (Google photos, Spotify) is not always an available option.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

notinterested

Feb 11, 2010
I'm surprised that the complain threads are allowed to go on. It not only hurts the site,it hurts the company that made the phones. I think some of the writers that review these phones are abusing their power and becoming a bit reckless.

EDIT
Ive also noticed that a lot of complaints are coming from people with 20 post or less

Im even more surprised that this trend of starting threads to actively discredit people with legitimate issues is being allowed at all. When people have issues with a device IT SHOULD HURT THE COMPANY. Treating a massive multi billion dollar world wide corporation like its some sort of tiny start up charity is ridiculous.

You dont want the forum having complaints because it hurts the community somehow? From where im sitting what hurts the community is misleading ignorant crap like what the OP is trying to pull. Trying to convince people nothing is wrong in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary is harmful to a community, only further hurts the reputation of the phone further. What do you think will happen when someone reads a thread like this and goes to buy the phone and finds out all the things he read where true? There goes the credibility of the community just because of some goofy ass notion that a device needs defended from itself.

Screen bleed: This is bound to happen with most all LCD devices. Even your LCD television will have this issue if the room and screen are dark enough. Some of you that have posted pictures do in fact have a relevant reason for return as it is pretty bad. But also, some of you are just being entirely too picky.

OK find us another flagship phone with LCD screens that had even remotely close to this much backlight bleeding. Ill wait.

Didnt have that issue with my HTC one m8 or my Sony z3v. Dont have that issue with my gaming monitors either. QUALITY LCD panels DO NOT have noticeable backlight bleed. Its a staple of cheap poorly made budget panels.

AUX audio noise: This device is native 24bit lossless at 192kHz... MOST of the "cheap" aux cables you buy at the store just don't have the quality wiring inside that you need for this device, and will give you the audio hiss. You're gonna want something that is Audiophile grade (this just simply means high quality), with a thicker wire, better connectors, etc. The basic run of the mill cables just aren't gonna cut it with this device. I ended up going with THIS cable, and my hiss went away. (Your results may vary)

Not even remotely close to true at all. The fact that you think the onboard snapdragon DAC is audiophile grade is cute but wildly incorrect. The fact that you think cables can cause this issue is even more incorrect. You dont need any sort of special size for headphone cables to be high quality thats just plain ignorance. We are talking tiny amounts of power not some 1200 watt amp powering 2 OHM subs. Go look at audiophile grade IEMs they dont run large cables at all. Your defense is flat out wrong, what causes that hiss is a number of things but nearly all would be internal. Poor internal shielding, defects in the amp etc. Cables are not going to cause this unless they are cut, or flat out defective.

Also, as a side note lossless would be your music files not the DAC, no special cables are required for higher quality audio and 9 times out of 10 that "thicker high grade" cable is just plastic and crap with the exact same amount of copper as the tiny ****.

Chin gap never bothered me so ill leave that.

The clicky power button: Really people? It's a click style power button to begin with. While I will agree the button cap (the part we actually see) could be a bit better than what it is, why is this even a quality complaint? Those of you that are shaking your phone in a silent room and "hearing" the button move are probably mistaken. While the button does have minuscule movement to it, what you are actually hearing is the OIS sensor moving. It's supposed to if you shake the phone.

There is an issue at play here where the outer part of the button with the fingerprint sensor is coming unglued from the rest of it. Then its a matter of time before it moves the wrong way and you lose the fingerprint scanner altogether Thats the main reason you see people complaining and returning them because of the power button. The guy at my verizon store said thats the main reason he sees them coming back.

This notion that because you like the phone that you should stick your head in the sand and ignore the issues it has while trying to discredit anyone with actual issues is stupid. So is this mentality that people shouldnt be allowed to discuss said issues here. Just because you like the phone dont mean you get to sweep away all the negative attention its getting and pretend its all unicorns and rainbows in G5 land.

_ray_

May 7, 2009
Im even more surprised that this trend of starting threads to actively discredit people with legitimate issues is being allowed at all. When people have issues with a device IT SHOULD HURT THE COMPANY. Treating a massive multi billion dollar world wide corporation like its some sort of tiny start up charity is ridiculous.

You dont want the forum having complaints because it hurts the community somehow? From where im sitting what hurts the community is misleading ignorant crap like what the OP is trying to pull. Trying to convince people nothing is wrong in spite of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary is harmful to a community, only further hurts the reputation of the phone further. What do you think will happen when someone reads a thread like this and goes to buy the phone and finds out all the things he read where true? There goes the credibility of the community just because of some goofy ass notion that a device needs defended from itself.

OK find us another flagship phone with LCD screens that had even remotely close to this much backlight bleeding. Ill wait.

Didnt have that issue with my HTC one m8 or my Sony z3v. Dont have that issue with my gaming monitors either. QUALITY LCD panels DO NOT have noticeable backlight bleed. Its a staple of cheap poorly made budget panels.

Not even remotely close to true at all. The fact that you think the onboard snapdragon DAC is audiophile grade is cute but wildly incorrect. The fact that you think cables can cause this issue is even more incorrect. You dont need any sort of special size for headphone cables to be high quality thats just plain ignorance. We are talking tiny amounts of power not some 1200 watt amp powering 2 OHM subs. Go look at audiophile grade IEMs they dont run large cables at all. Your defense is flat out wrong, what causes that hiss is a number of things but nearly all would be internal. Poor internal shielding, defects in the amp etc. Cables are not going to cause this unless they are cut, or flat out defective.

Also, as a side note lossless would be your music files not the DAC, no special cables are required for higher quality audio and 9 times out of 10 that "thicker high grade" cable is just plastic and crap with the exact same amount of copper as the tiny ****.

Chin gap never bothered me so ill leave that.

There is an issue at play here where the outer part of the button with the fingerprint sensor is coming unglued from the rest of it. Then its a matter of time before it moves the wrong way and you lose the fingerprint scanner altogether Thats the main reason you see people complaining and returning them because of the power button. The guy at my verizon store said thats the main reason he sees them coming back.

This notion that because you like the phone that you should stick your head in the sand and ignore the issues it has while trying to discredit anyone with actual issues is stupid. So is this mentality that people shouldnt be allowed to discuss said issues here. Just because you like the phone dont mean you get to sweep away all the negative attention its getting and pretend its all unicorns and rainbows in G5 land.

Well said, I had 3 replacements before i anally gave up and sent the phone back. This doesn't mean i didn't like the phone, i did, i really did but I am not going to pretend those issues dont exist and or will not arise in the future.
I want a device that is future proof not only in terms of performance but build quality. A blazing fast CPU is of no use if you dont have a working button to turn the phone on or off.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the G5 is catching a lot crap for almost no reason at all... I've had mine for 1 week now, and no major issues to speak of. It functions as it should, build quality is nearly perfect, and it just works... As the title states, this is all my opinion, so let me break some things down...

The chin gap: This is directly related to how the battery clips in. The connectors inside the phone are spring loaded and very slightly push back against the battery. On top of that, they are there are two parts that are simply being "snapped" together, so there is bound to be a gap. Again, I too have this "issue" on my phone, but it is so minor that it doesn't really matter. (It's also completely hidden by my case now too) I wouldn't say this is a lack of QC, but rather just certain individuals wanting perfection from a non-perfect world. It's just not gonna happen. An idea for LG, may be to put 2 very small rare earth magnets on either end of the chin module to help combat the spring push from inside the phone?

TL;DR: Complaints are fine if they are legitimate. But most of these are not. It's nothing more than a case of people being far too finicky over the build of a launch device. One can ALWAYS expect to run into SOMETHING they don't like about a first launch device, but should not haze the device to the point of making it potentially fail. If you want things fixed, yes report them, but also look into solutions. Don't haze the product to the point that it scares others away from an otherwise beautifully designed and wonderful product.

Your opinions are always welcome, so let's keep this thread mature if you post. And thank you for reading mine.

Right? You'd think you were on xda-fashionistas with all the whining about how the phone looks/feels compared to x, y, or z. I thought this forum was supposed to be about development and had a technical lean, but it seems like more than half the people here are either trying to start arguments about why they prefer the S7 or complaining about how their 9th trade-in phone has a sub-millimeter gap with the removable module.

I think people have been too hard on this phone too, honestly. I just got it today and am pleased I have no chin gap, screen bleed, ECT.

Coming from the "Lagaxy S6" that I got on release because they promised me that the battery and performance would be the best thing since Jesus walked the earth was an absolute lie. I have never owned a phone with more horrible screen on and stand by time in my entire life. It was smooth for the first couple weeks and the usual lag came back (their apologists will never admit it and claim its been fixed) as well as the horrible RAM management fiasco.

Oh my god, what a joy to have a speedy keyboard, a fast messaging app, a phone that actually doesn't chew endless percentage points off my battery with the screen off, and apps still being in memory after a few minutes, I am in heaven. Oh and the spare battery module is nice, as well as the IR blaster someone else mentioned above. I was going to get the HTC 10 but after AndroidCentrals guys kept saying the battery really wasn't special I knew what j needed to do.

Thank you LG, you saved me from a year of absolute hell.

EDIT